Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2007, 18:03   #361
BHPian

yes, he is the same guy i was talking about.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:58   #362
Senior - BHPian

Cabbies in bangalore ...maybe true elsewhere in India too ...are a big menace and quite astonishingly they dont even bother to acknowledge that they did a mistake. The most common problem is that they jump the signal and glare @ u as if we are the ones who did it,inspite of having a right of way on green. Such idiotic and senseless acts will cost lives and much to the discomfort of innocent people caught up in such situations.
Will they ever be sensible enough ? some basic common sense needs to be exercised and i feel helpless inspite of being agonised.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:03   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandPatil View Post
we have a cab driver in our company. his story is :

1. first day he dashed a volvo bus.
2 . second day, a maruti 800.
3. third day, a cycle. oh god really cycle guy had a bad hurt.

Three consecutive accidents in 3 consecutive days.
That IS an achievement. Your company should put him on a pedestal. Even our resident Force Traveller driver vid6639 has been known to have 2 consective hits only.
Old 15th October 2007, 15:12   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Even our resident Force Traveller driver vid6639 has been known to have 2 consective hits only.
LOL you dint know ? That consecutive thingy happened because of a blackout/power cut .
Old 15th October 2007, 15:22   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
That consecutive thingy happened because of a blackout/power cut .
Off Topic, maybe.
I would love to know more about the incident.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:13   #366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Cabbies in bangalore ...maybe true elsewhere in India too ...are a big menace and quite astonishingly they dont even bother to acknowledge that they did a mistake. The most common problem is that they jump the signal and glare @ u as if we are the ones who did it,inspite of having a right of way on green. Such idiotic and senseless acts will cost lives and much to the discomfort of innocent people caught up in such situations.
Will they ever be sensible enough ? some basic common sense needs to be exercised and i feel helpless inspite of being agonised.
Cabbies are a big headache in Bangy. Nowadays, I've even seen them riding them through the footpath which was previously the domain of 2-Wheelers !
Old 16th October 2007, 14:43   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Cabbies are a big headache in Bangy. Nowadays, I've even seen them riding them through the footpath which was previously the domain of 2-Wheelers !
Just to open a line of thought.

Is i[FONT=Arial]lliteracy and poverty the primary cause for auto/cab/call center/truck drivers to drive the way they do? I mean does this rash and crazy driving come to them because they frankly cant judge/predict the result of their actions? I feel that they seriously cant think too long into the future, and hence are living for the moment so to speak[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Lets keep the above seperate from rash people who are filled with a sense of power and money and know they can buy their way out of almost anything. Also lets not include those sane people who sometime commit mistakes or accidents[/FONT]
Old 16th October 2007, 15:46   #368
Senior - BHPian

Its just a question being sensible

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Is i[FONT=Arial]lliteracy and poverty the primary cause for auto/cab/call center/truck drivers to drive the way they do? I mean does this rash and crazy driving come to them because they frankly cant judge/predict the result of their actions? I feel that they seriously cant think too long into the future, and hence are living for the moment so to speak[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Lets keep the above seperate from rash people who are filled with a sense of power and money and know they can buy their way out of almost anything. Also lets not include those sane people who sometime commit mistakes or accidents[/FONT]
partly with you "apache", that ignorance due to illiteracy and poverty is some kind of an issue but its being human first that counts here. Everyone are in a rush to go ahead of others and dont bother much if someone is hit or get killed. It depicts our attitude much to the dismay of others like some sensible souls as in this forum.
Its an instance in Bangy @ Sarjapur signal stop on the Outer ring road where a cabbie knocked down a 2wheeler guy having a right of way and luckily that guy did not suffer major injuries apart from some bruises ..that cabbie left the scene anyways and passerby vehicles did not even bother 2 help the guy ...when i tried to park my car with the parking hazard lights on to pick up that poor chap...guys @ the back started abusing me which literally ticked me off...ofcourse i cussed and gave a piece of my mind with some gestures....but it really opened me up to how insensitive people have become.
Old 16th October 2007, 16:03   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Is i[FONT=Arial]lliteracy and poverty the primary cause for auto/cab/call center/truck drivers to drive the way they do?

Lets keep the above seperate from rash people who are filled with a sense of power and money and know they can buy their way out of almost anything. Also lets not include those sane people who sometime commit mistakes or accidents
There is no criteria under which the actions of these seasoned maniacs can be justified. in case you want to side with them, go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...gs-pounce.html
Old 16th October 2007, 21:16   #370
Senior - BHPian

I don't see how literacy and driving can be mixed. A person, with no literacy but with ample common sense, would any day be a better commuter on the road. You don't need to be educated,to be able to drive in a rational manner. In any case,student driver education isn't provided in India,but if it was,it would surely have been a better place to drive.

No offense meant,but I feel that even an uneducated person would drive properly and not cause havoc/harm, if he/she were to approach things using more sense.
Old 6th November 2007, 13:51   #371
Senior - BHPian

Well, I would like to add those Huge Ultra-Luxury buses with not more than half-capacity filled (most of the times), belonging to IT/BPO companies. And now those Tempo Travellers and the lil Indicas, also running for the IT companies.
These vehciles are nowadays posing the biggest threat to all other drivers on the road, even the public transport bus and normal truck drivers are annoyed by the way these 'elite' vehciles run on the road, as if they own the roads before anybody else.

One of my driver-cum-taxi-operator friend tells me (in acautious tone). to be careful and be away from these vehciles.
"IN-SAY-PUNGAA-NAHEEN-LEYNE-KAA."
Why?
The reasons he gave me were astonishing and unbelievable.
1. These drivers are free to make any damage to their or other's vehcile and the company would pay for it.
2. These vehciles are realy not owned by the IT companies (as painted in extra-large size letters on their sides), but owned by "BI-NAAMEES", who are basically you-know-who.
3. These IT companies pay to the traffic guys heavily so that whenever any traffic jam or over-crowded area, they give preference to the IT buses to go through and even if any IT bus is invoved in any scratch or accident, they get cleared immediately before even the ambulance arrives.
4. Above all, the dirvers are not penalized for anything else, except "delay".

From the way the buses own the roads, I tend to believe what he said...
Old 27th November 2007, 18:05   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Well, I would like to add those Huge Ultra-Luxury buses with not more than half-capacity filled (most of the times), belonging to IT/BPO companies. And now those Tempo Travellers and the lil Indicas, also running for the IT companies.
These vehciles are nowadays posing the biggest threat to all other drivers on the road, even the public transport bus and normal truck drivers are annoyed by the way these 'elite' vehciles run on the road, as if they own the roads before anybody else.

One of my driver-cum-taxi-operator friend tells me (in acautious tone). to be careful and be away from these vehciles.
"IN-SAY-PUNGAA-NAHEEN-LEYNE-KAA."
Why?
The reasons he gave me were astonishing and unbelievable.
1. These drivers are free to make any damage to their or other's vehcile and the company would pay for it.
2. These vehciles are realy not owned by the IT companies (as painted in extra-large size letters on their sides), but owned by "BI-NAAMEES", who are basically you-know-who.
3. These IT companies pay to the traffic guys heavily so that whenever any traffic jam or over-crowded area, they give preference to the IT buses to go through and even if any IT bus is invoved in any scratch or accident, they get cleared immediately before even the ambulance arrives.
4. Above all, the dirvers are not penalized for anything else, except "delay".

From the way the buses own the roads, I tend to believe what he said...
This is true. Those drivers are really protected by the clout of the IT companies. They are arrogant, and don't care even if you work for the same company
Old 27th November 2007, 20:19   #373
BHPian

And then, there is a creed of drivers who use the right indicator to let you know that they have granted you the permission to overtake and at the same time this indication is for his right turn also....it is up to you to guess that what that joker ahead of you on the road wants?

The above is applicable for two and higher number of wheeled vehicles running on highways and in cities.

There is another set of drivers who donot drive on the extreme right or the left of the road(with this I mean that they are not even in the centre lane). They leave a little space on the right side on the road expecting the car behind to squeeze ahead even when there is no space. When you honk profusely, they take out their full right arm throught the window and gesture you to go ahead pointing on the road as if the entire road has been left for you. This also goes for the puny motorbikes who can barely take their machines above 70kmph and have the entire family including an old lady stradled on it!

And finally, there is a set of drivers on the road who drive ultra slow and preach that fast driving is rash driving. Thes people form the biggest nuicance on the road and cause of accidents also.
If we were meant to drive so slow, then we shouldn't have gone in for modern vehicles and above all bullock carts would have been even more suitable for the cause.
Old 28th November 2007, 14:29   #374
BHPian

Watch out for nervous drivers or those just poorly conditioned to the dynamics of the vehicle they pilot. Lady this morning had a safe distance between her and the bus ahead for the speed we were at, but would dart at shadows and jab unceremoniously at her brakes. Causing me to nearly do a stoppie on my FireBlade...and but naturally have the chap behind me wonder 1) how the Hell I braked so hard 2) what he was doing inspecting my neck hairs.

While we all instinctively adjust for self reflexes, stickiness of rubber, brake bite, momemtum of the vehicle, condition of the road surface and such like, I think we also need to make allowances for the same set of parameters of the deviant ahead and how he or she is going to read them. Trucks and buses like cruise ships will stop near Malta when they think about braking at Nice. And of course, cyclists will merely dive out of trouble.

Other heinous practitioners are the auto drivers in Blr, but I do understand they need both hands at the controls when making a turn and are hence unable to signal their intentions (most have dysfunctional indicators, one can safely presume). Good sign is to watch for the driver peering over his shoulder- good enough to figure he might possibly be considering a change of direction.

Like someone in the thread said, it's all about anticipation. But how do we train those without the instinct???
Old 28th November 2007, 21:18   #375
BHPian

Use of ORVMs

Hi Guys,

I learnt this principle when appearing for driving test in Australia. It is known as the MIST principle. Follow this sequence before making a turn, be it switching lanes, turning onto a road or making a U turn

Mirrors - Check Both ORVMS and the inside RVM
Indicate - Turn your indicator on
Shoulder - Quickly Look over your shoulder for blind spot
Turn - Make your turn

I found this to be the failsafe, every time. So, now I use the same principle here, though I learnt driving on a Premier Padmini without ORVMs.

Cheers,
Rajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks