Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 14:01   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Just today mornings incident which I witnessed on Ghdobunder Road, Thane. I was travelling at normal 60 speed and approaching Tatvagyan Vidyapith signal when I saw a red Maruti attempting to take a U turn (Coming from Thane). I showed the dipper, honked and the car stopped taking the turn. As I approached the car within 200 mtrs, the driver suddently took the U turn forcing me to apply brakes. Later I caught up with the car and found a female driving. I gestured to her what was she trying to do and she gave me a shrug and wry look on the face and sped off. I guess she was in a real hurry looking by the way the car was bobbing up & down as it was approaching the Kapurbavdi junction.

Tell you, these women drivers give me more scare than the usual ricks and 2 wheelers.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:25   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Not wierd at all. This is something nice I had witnessed while I was in Delhi. In all the major roads(or all??) the cops had implemented a similar lane (called bus lane) wherein the buses were not supposed to come to the right of the road. The buses were also fitted with speed limiters and max speed was 40 for them. During those days(around 8-10 yrs back) and it was a pleasure driving around with no bus hogging on to the fast lane. Wonder how it is now?
On a 2 laned flyover, its wierd to have the bikes & buses in one lane thats close to the wall IMO. Most company buses are not electronically speed limited either
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 17:29   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix
No kolaveri mate, just sharing my opinion from how I see it based on the pictures and details you posted!
@ h4wk: Your pics probably don't probably show very well how close that guy actually cut across you which could be the reason some members get a feeling that it was not that bad. Could be understood as you would have also taken a bit of time to pull out your cam and click after he cut across. But from what you describe yes the driving style is definitely not very safe.

Very true that there are many such on the Indian roads but that makes it only common, not safe.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:36   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
sad, but true..
the funny thing is just before i saw you thundering down the left lane i was thinking to myself thank God didn't spot any speeding BHPains today

with them Team-BHP stickers on your ride you gotta be extra nice (at least nice) when on the road because you represent this forum and your fellow members.
@IronH4WK - This guy works in my company. Have seen him speeding and cutting lanes quite a few times and that loud exhaust note (uggghhh !). Such people are a shame to the community!
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 14:38   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Last 2 days I have had a bad experience with Bikers cutting in front suddenly from the left.

In the first experience the bike with 2 people without helmets, cut in front of me and stalled on the speed hump ahead, and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting him.

Second time another biker cut in from the left to cross me and turn left again the slow speed & brakes came to the resque.
Old 12th April 2012, 14:52   #3771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
@ h4wk: Your pics probably don't probably show very well how close that guy actually cut across you which could be .. But from what you describe yes the driving style is definitely not very safe. Very true that there are many such on the Indian roads but that makes it only common, not safe.
Look at the last picture the red stile is trying to cut across to the right lane knowing too well that there are other vehicles in the right lane. I come across so many of these types, I am not getting names to call them, on the Kerala roads every day; Bikers, Autos, cars and trucks alike. They need to be taught how to drive properly.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th April 2012 at 15:02.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:24   #3772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wonder why you charged down the left lane on the down ramp of the BETL (towards Silkboard), overtook me, changed to my lane, then again switched back to the left lane and got stuck in traffic. the funny thing is just before i saw you thundering down the left lane i was thinking to myself thank God didn't spot any speeding BHPains today
Looks like somebody was very desperate to be spotted by you, eh? Why did you not spot him earlier, some people feel left out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
@IronH4WK - This guy works in my company. Have seen him speeding and cutting lanes quite a few times and that loud exhaust note (uggghhh !). Such people are a shame to the community!
The best punishment I can think of is to give them a HCV with no power steering to drive around in town for a week. Mandatory 100km a day. Charges for all accidents to the driven HCV and others that he hits will be made to this guy's bank account.
Somebody make me the RTA head for Pune or Bangalore

Speaking of which, what are the qualifications required to become the RTA chief or whoever decides what the rules are? Never heard a kid say I want to be in the RTO when I grow up!
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 15:26   #3773
Senior - BHPian

this morning on my way to office i saw this woman driving a NHC. there were two unsecured kids (maybe 2-3yr olds) playing at the back and this woman was on the phone (although using handsfree)! with each maneuver (braking/accelerating) the kids would be thrown around at the back. and guess what - she wasn't even wearing the seat belt!

when will people learn!!
Old 12th April 2012, 16:25   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Interesting! This is news to me. I dont remember seeing any signboard that says only cars can go in the right lane of the BETL while I was there!
There are signs specifically saying heavy vehicles should stick to the left lane. But the thing is they just don't. Not only do they use the right lane, they also go slower than the speed limit. The rule I stick to is, if I am driving at any speed closer to or more than the stipulated limit (which is 80 km) I stick to the left lane. But for various reasons, it's just not possible to drive on one lane on the BETL flyover all the time.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 16:39   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Somebody make me the RTA head for Pune or Bangalore
Probably OT, but I have to vent it out.

I don't know about Pune, but I doubt if anybody with common sense or responsibility in the RTA department in Bangalore. They traffic cops themselves ought to be taught more on traffic rules and regulations.

Some of their fixes in Bangalore are ridiculous, such as blocking the left lane at the signal towards Electronics city from Chandapura with a barricade. My understanding was that they were trying to solve the problem of private buses using that lane as a bus bay and in the process blocking traffic. But what purpose does it serve? The lane is useless anyway and anyone stuck in that lane trying to come out will create a bottleneck right there. I also see several of those barricades at many bus-stops below the BETL, god knows how it helps.

Height of all is this: Right after the same signal, I always see cops blocking the trucks thus creating a bottle-neck. This week, I saw a truck was stopped right on the right lane. Would you believe this? The cop doesn't care that the truck is blocking traffic and causing hardship to others. He wants his money!

The cops do nothing about the vehicles parked on the rightmost lane at Madivala market. They do nothing about those who want to take right at an intersection thus blocking the center lane. These are just one or two examples. All in all, I don't see anything right about the way the traffic being handled in Bangalore. These need to be fixed. There is no point in complaining about narrow roads and such.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 17:05   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Probably OT, but I have to vent it out.

I don't know about Pune, but I doubt if anybody with common sense or responsibility in the RTA department in Bangalore. They traffic cops themselves ought to be taught more on traffic rules and regulations.
Same story everywhere buddy!

Example in Pune is Laxmi road (equivalent of Commercial street in Bangalore perhaps). There was a perennial problem with too many two wheelers being parked on both sides. Of course there is also a queue of 'stopped' 4 wheelers in the lane next to the parked vehicles because saaheb or madam will return in just two minutes.
So what do the cops do? Restrict 2 wheeler parking to one side and put barricades on the other side so that people can walk. Now a few things to be noted here:
- Hawkers place their carts in the walking area and there are numerous pits dug there too, so pedestrians have to walk around them
- 4 wheelers still stop outside these barricades, so are they bad drivers or bad stoppers?!

Whats the point? the only thing the cops acheived is that they reduced the parking space for 2 wheelers. The mess is still there and probably worse than before. They are solving the wrong problem, barking up the wrong tree, making a paan with all ingredients but chewing the wrong one, add to the list.

Just think of these two things in India; traffic management and township planning. Anybody who considers themselves in charge here should ask themselves if they have a combination of intent, capability, integrity, dedication and common sense.

What use is intent if it is not solving the problem? To hell in a handcart that is all I can say.

So we end up seeing bad drivers everywhere. Especially because there is no one to ensure they drive correctly. The stick isnt visible or big enough for people to be careful. Its a free for all because most of the time, they wont get caught. If they do, they either pay the measly fine or call someone who can get them away scot free.
Also a sad indicator of how insensitive we have become as people when we drive badly without caring for how other lives can be affected with a mere flick of the steering wheel.

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th April 2012 at 17:24.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 21:29   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Same story everywhere buddy!

What use is intent if it is not solving the problem? To hell in a handcart that is all I can say.

So we end up seeing bad drivers everywhere. Especially because there is no one to ensure they drive correctly. The stick isnt visible or big enough for people to be careful. Its a free for all because most of the time, they wont get caught. If they do, they either pay the measly fine or call someone who can get them away scot free.
May be a bit OT here, but I am reminded of tamil film "Anniyan" in which hero counters others that why such a harsh punishment for such small mistakes saying that there is no size for mistake, it is not a banian size, small , medium, large, extra large etc.,

I may even sound a bit cruel here, but unless otherwise people reminded of the consequences of the mistake they commit on the road on their own body and bones and pay for them heavilly monetarily, people will never learn! Every time some stupid fellow commits a mistake and escapes without a major injury or a hefty fine, it will stoke only his audacity to commit the same once more! A fellow who crosses a busy road with mobile pasted to his ears, will he learn whne others brake and swerve to avoid hitting him! Who taught him it is okay to cross the road while talking on mobile? we are , the careful drivers who take every effort predict such morons crossing our path when we drive!
Old 12th April 2012, 22:21   #3778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its painted on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
This is a wierd lane rule otherwise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Not wierd at all. This is something nice I had witnessed while I was in Delhi. In all the major roads(or all??) the cops had implemented a similar lane (called bus lane) wherein the buses were not supposed to come to the right of the road.
Dictionary meaning of 'Wierd': outside natural law.

The law (for this case natural law) courtesy RTO website: Transport Department
Quote:
Keep left:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall drive the vehicle as close to the left side of the road as may be expedient

Passing to the Right:
The driver of a motor vehicle shall pass to the right of all traffic proceeding in the same direction as himself.
Lane discipline on indian Highway. Courtesy: Lane Discipline on Indian Highways |
Quote:
Point 1..When on a 4 ways highway(2 lanes on each side), always stay on the leftmost lane and use the right lane to only overtake the vehicle in front.The driving behaviour changes in case you are on a 6 lane Highway(3 lanes on each side).The speed of vehicles increases as one moves from the leftmost lane to the rightmost lane. Hence the leftmost lane is usually for the slower vehicles such as trucks and 2 wheelers. The safe bet is to be on the middle lane if one is driving a car and use the rightmost lane only to overtake the slower vehicle in front. While driving fast on the rightmost lane could be a pleasure in case you are already at high speed.An important point to note is to give way to the faster vehicle which is coming behind you in the same rightmost lane. In case a faster vehicle comes behind you on the rightmost lane, it is best to put your left indicator and move to the middle lane to give way to the speeding vehicle. This would allow a safe passage to the vehicle behind.This applies only to the vehicles on the rightmost lane. Speeding vehicles behind your car that is already on the middle lane would automatically change to the rightmost lane to overtake.

Point 2. Any lane switching in a 4 lane or a 6 lane highway must first start with the relevant indicator light to change lanes. The general consensus around the world is that once your indicator of the car in front of you is On, the driver in front would change his/her lane within the next 5- 10 seconds. Hence it is all the more important to respect the driver in front of you if he/she turns on the indicator to change the lane. Most accidents on the 6 lane highways occur either because of incorrect switching of lanes or because of slow vehicles travelling on the wrong lane (rightmost lane).Also one must not zigzag his way across from the leftmost to the rightmost lane without watching out for incoming vehicles. It is common in India to overtake a vehicle by honking . One must be careful here because at high speeds honking would ususally not be audible. Hence it is better to flash your headlight and wait for the vehicle in front to give way.
The inference as per all these:
1. The lane policy painted on the road on BETL is definitely "Wierd" because the rightmost lane should always be empty for overtaking.
(I've nowhere seen 'overtaking prohibited' sign on this road, please correct me if I'm wrong)
The other wierd lane policy in Bangalore that comes to my mind is near KBS(majestic) where all vehicles have to move on the right side of a 4-lane road with median.
2. Unfortunately since majority of Indian drivers don't understand/follow speed based lanes, On BETL (and in Delhi) they have split the lanes based on class of vehicle...again wierd.
In both the cases the lane policy is not "nice" but just arrrangements made to work out for Indian conditions (easy path taken istead of educating people).

I'm not supporting the palio driver...If he was weaving, he is a bad driver though it is not completely evident by the photos.
But we users of BETL just need to make sure our driving is not dangerous to other people since its nearly impossible to maintain a single lane on this stretch of 10kms

Cheers,
hemanth.anand

PS: No offence meant to anyone, just my two cents.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 10:58   #3779

"The general consensus around the world is that once your indicator of the car in front of you is On, the driver in front would change his/her lane within the next 5- 10 seconds. Hence it is all the more important to respect the driver in front of you if he/she turns on the indicator to change the lane."

My experience with regard to this has been quite the opposite. What I usually find, on the highways (both 2 & 3 lanes) in Kerala, is that most drivers do not respect the indicator. The moment they see a lane-change indicator, they honk like mad and instantly increase their speed. Sad thing is, it happens on both the right and left lanes. I think its an ego thing.

M_83.
Maelstrom_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 18:29   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Last 2 days I have had a bad experience with Bikers cutting in front suddenly from the left.

In the first experience the bike with 2 people without helmets, cut in front of me and stalled on the speed hump ahead, and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting him.

Second time another biker cut in from the left to cross me and turn left again the slow speed & brakes came to the resque.
Another one at Vashi Sec. 17 crossing today, this time a middle aged guy on a swanky bike cut across me and an Eeco to go right to the highway, I managed to stop but he got caught by the bull bar of the Ecco, last I saw him sprawled on the road.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks