Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 12:08   #3796
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

All of have faced drivers who are driving on right lane on empty road. When honked at , they would move to the left - which is good. BUT only by that much to give you space to squeeze past. That too when there is no traffic on left lane.
I actually told a driver once - lane badalne main itni kanjoosi kyon? His face was worth seeing.

I simply don't understand why? You wanted us to overtake us, at least go a car width to the left!
Old 24th April 2012, 11:40   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
All of have faced drivers who are driving on right lane on empty road. When honked at , they would move to the left - which is good. BUT only by that much to give you space to squeeze past. That too when there is no traffic on left lane.
I actually told a driver once - lane badalne main itni kanjoosi kyon? His face was worth seeing.

I simply don't understand why? You wanted us to overtake us, at least go a car width to the left!
This is still good, there are numerous instances when people are driving in a way that they are partially covering two lanes, especially on Bangalore - Mysore highway, these cars occupy half of the fast lane so you are in two minds whether the car in front will move to the left or the right and honking does not evoke any response.

Seperate Incident:

Dont know if you can call it bad driving or funny driving. This happened in the byelane opposite to the RV Dental college in JP Nagar 1st Phase. There was a Omni coming from the opposite side on a T-junction and I had the right indicator to turn right. The Omni guy blinked his H/L so i waited for him to pass before taking the turn, but the guy just slows down and then stops in the middle of the junction, waving me to pass, I just couldnt stop laughing and gave him a thumbs up for his sense of road signals
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 10:42   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Seperate Incident:

Dont know if you can call it bad driving or funny driving. This happened in the byelane opposite to the RV Dental college in JP Nagar 1st Phase. There was a Omni coming from the opposite side on a T-junction and I had the right indicator to turn right. The Omni guy blinked his H/L so i waited for him to pass before taking the turn, but the guy just slows down and then stops in the middle of the junction, waving me to pass, I just couldnt stop laughing and gave him a thumbs up for his sense of road signals
There is a lot of ambiguity in terms of what is to be interpreted by flashing headlights. I think in India by default it is assumed that if a car is flashing headlights it means that it wants the right of way. But i am not sure what is actually mentioned in the rule book.

Wikipedia link for Headlights Flashing.

Headlight flashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 12:17   #3799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
There is a lot of ambiguity in terms of what is to be interpreted by flashing headlights. I think in India by default it is assumed that if a car is flashing headlights it means that it wants the right of way. But i am not sure what is actually mentioned in the rule book.

Wikipedia link for Headlights Flashing.

Headlight flashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's true Amit. I have driven in the UK, Malaysia and Singapore and in all these places flashing headlight meant the car driver flashing is giving you the right of way. But in India, the reverse applies, it is aggressive behaviour to be read as - "Let me go else...."
Old 25th April 2012, 15:28   #3800
BHPian

Survey finds Bangalore has India’s worst-behaved motorists

(Just Something I came across in the NEWS today, no offence intended towards any city in India. Cheers!)

The motorists in Bangalore don't seem to care for pedestrians has been a subject of intense debate for long. The debate has been set to rest by a New Delhi-based green group's report that statistically shows Bangalore's deficiency in this category.

Among the seven Indian cities surveyed, Bangalore scores the lowest - a measly 30 out of 100 - in the 'motorist behaviour' category, one of the nine parameters considered to determine the walkability (walking infrastructure availability) of a city.

The survey was initially conducted in 13 Asian cites and later extended to seven Indian cities - Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Bhubaneswar, Indore, Rajkot and Surat. The survey's objective is to rate the Indian cities on walkability parameters and to inform policymakers and stakeholders on the changes required...Contd (see the link)

Source: Survey finds Bangalore has India's worst-behaved motorists - The Times of India

Last edited by DevilsDoggie : 25th April 2012 at 15:30.
DevilsDoggie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 15:36   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
Am I surprised? Not at all
Old 25th April 2012, 15:37   #3802
BHPian

Quote:

Wonder why Hyderabad doesnt feature in this list. It would have won that award hands down.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:45   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Source: Survey finds Bangalore has India's worst-behaved motorists - The Times of India
i was gonna post this here when i got to office this afternoon, but by the time i reached i forgot; thanks for posting it.

i'm not surprised Bangalore got this prestigious award (); we're capable of winning many more prestigious awards in similar category
Old 25th April 2012, 16:35   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i was gonna post this here when i got to office this afternoon, but by the time i reached i forgot; thanks for posting it.

i'm not surprised Bangalore got this prestigious award (); we're capable of winning many more prestigious awards in similar category
Lol so many awards for Bangalore, i am also not surprised that this was also added. But i think Hyderabad can win in the category of worst u-turns made by vehicles in the country, the folks dont even look or check who's coming from the other side.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:13   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The survey was initially conducted in 13 Asian cites and later extended to seven Indian cities - Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Bhubaneswar, Indore, Rajkot and Surat.
Most biased survey I must say. Why isn't Delhi/Mumbai/Hyd not included in this survey?! I know Bangalore doesn't rate very high in motorist behavior but I am sure the cities mentioned above would beat Bangalore hands down if they had been included in the survey.

Come on guys! don't betray Bangalore so easy!
Old 25th April 2012, 22:36   #3806
Team-BHP Support

Today was a relatively quiet day on the roads of Bangalore. Expect for one incident that enraged me.

I was driving quite slowly. Probably in a low gear and slightly faster than a crawl. Was approaching the Ulsoor Police Station junction, when all of a sudden, this chap on a two-wheeler comes scarily close to my car. He squeezes past my car and the Auto next to me, barely making it though. All this while riding one-handed!

His left hand was busy, fidgeting with his helmet. After getting in front of me, he slowed down to an absolute crawl, which annoyed me BIG time!

Yeah, it seems like another normal day, right? Wrong.

We stopped at the signal and he was in front of me. The moment we stopped to wait for the signal to turn green, he takes of his helmet and what do I see? A neck-brace. Yes, this man was wearing a neck-brace under his helmet.

And that's when I realized. Some people many not care about others on the road and ride/drive rashly. But some others don't really care about themselves either.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:11   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was driving quite slowly. Probably in a low gear and slightly faster than a crawl. Was approaching the Ulsoor Police Station junction, when all of a sudden, this chap on a two-wheeler comes scarily close to my car. He squeezes past my car and the Auto next to me, barely making it though. All this while riding one-handed!
Suhaas, I had a repeat of your experience today morning. Only difference being I was driving a bit faster, maybe 50 kmph. There was an goods carrier auto on my left and a bus on the right. When all the vehicles were exactly parallel, this fellow on the bike zoomed past my car and the auto through the minutest gap in between. If the auto or my car had even a little lateral movement, that guy would have been history. This happened before the Sarjapur road junction on ORR.
I seriously think why people care so little about their own life .
Old 26th April 2012, 12:35   #3808
BHPian

Place: Opp to ITC Maratha, Mumbai.
Time: ~2300 on Apr 25.

A silver colored Civic parked on the parking lane, tried to get into main stream. There was a metal-plastic dragged on cement noise. The guy continued for couple more meters. Then realized something, stopped the car, got out, found a bike stuck under the front bumper, (kicked it out) and moved on. He didnt even bother to put the bike away from main carriage way!

The driver didn't appear to be drunk! As I was a bit away and dark, couldn't note the number plate.

Can't say this is a bad driving, probably madness?
Old 26th April 2012, 22:31   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB
Suhaas, I had a repeat of your experience today morning. Only difference being I was driving a bit faster, maybe 50 kmph. There was an goods carrier auto on my left and a bus on the right. When all the vehicles were exactly parallel, this fellow on the bike zoomed past my car and the auto through the minutest gap in between. If the auto or my car had even a little lateral movement, that guy would have been history. This happened before the Sarjapur road junction on ORR.
I seriously think why people care so little about their own life .
The problem with such bikers is how do we tackle it in case of an accident? How much accountable can we be held if it is completely the bikers fault.
I faced a similar situation today near Sultanpalya at 930pm. There was full traffic jam. This idiot with his family 2 kids and wife all of them without any helmets rides in between my car and almost gets run over by the BMTC bus. He did get an earful from the bus driver. However if by chance after being struck by the bus he landed on my car, would i be held accountable in anyway for any damage done? I know i maybe asking a simple question, but over time Ive seen Bangalore traffic getting unfriendlier by the day. So I want to be best prepared in the event that such a mishap does happen. How does one go about tackling the situation?
Old 26th April 2012, 22:38   #3810
BHPian

Also most of these bikers dont even have insurance or license. Im just trying to spread this information as my friend's dad was recently involved in an accident with another biker. This guy was 17 years old without a license and insurance and neither a helmet. My friends dad broke his leg in multiple places, and also fractures on his arm and spent over a month in the hospital. They had to pay every penny from their pocket even that of bike repairs. Having lodged a case against the juvenile also hasnt helped much.
So guys please be not just double but triple and quadruple careful around these bikers. And to speak the truth bangalore roads are infested by such ineligible riders. Yet there seems no end to this nuisance even in the near future.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks