Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 13:57   #376
Senior - BHPian

@Rajan's Signature:
Buddy, I guess you should also add "What the road is capable of..." too..

Regarding MIST principle, it is the best way to drive.
but, with ORVM's turned inwards and thick SUN-CONTROl films stuck on the side glasses, M and S are for most cars impractical in India.

So, its generally "I and T", (IT guys don't draw your guns on me....)
"If-You-wanna-Turn, Just-Turn..."
Old 6th December 2007, 05:21   #377
BHPian

looking back is a must before turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
@Rajan's Signature:
Buddy, I guess you should also add "What the road is capable of..." too..

Regarding MIST principle, it is the best way to drive.
but, with ORVM's turned inwards and thick SUN-CONTROl films stuck on the side glasses, M and S are for most cars impractical in India.

So, its generally "I and T", (IT guys don't draw your guns on me....)
"If-You-wanna-Turn, Just-Turn..."
i strongly disagree with turning without confirming if someone is about to overtake you from the right or not. it is of utmost importance. one must confirm and then only turn after giving the right indication. confirmation can be done by simply looking at the right ORVM. you do not have to strain your neck to look back.

it is also important to come on to the extreme right side of the road ( i do not mean coming face to face to the oncoming vehicles, but in your lane) safely and then turn if no one is trailing or trying to overtake you, after giving the right indication.

Sometimes i have witnessed drivers making a u-turn or just making a right turn by first veering towards the extreme left side of the road and then steering to the right to complete the turn. its a sure recipe to disaster.
Old 6th December 2007, 08:25   #378
BHPian

On the topic of right turns, ever been almost hit by a motorcyclist trying to squeeze through the 65nm gap between you and the median?
And all this, when you have an indicator on and have slowed down practically to a halt. He will take this as an opportunity to overtake you.

95% of the time, this will be an IT guy or a goods carrying TVS XL. (Nothing against IT guys or the TVS XL - I am into IT and my first two wheeler was a TVS 50).
Old 6th December 2007, 09:41   #379
Senior - BHPian

I agree with your disagreement

Haaw.. Haaw.. Haaw.. Shaheen...!!!!!, My post was just a T-I-C post, in desparation of the driving conditions in our great country...
And you took it real serious..

I was not saying "IF-You-Wanna_Turn-just-turn" as the universal rule..
I was only indicating that it is the current status in our country.

I also better explain T-I-C: Toungue in Cheek...

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 6th December 2007 at 09:43.
Old 6th December 2007, 23:43   #380
BHPian

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
And then, there is a creed of drivers who use the right indicator to let you know that they have granted you the permission to overtake and at the same time this indication is for his right turn also....it is up to you to guess that what that joker ahead of you on the road wants?

The above is applicable for two and higher number of wheeled vehicles running on highways and in cities.

There is another set of drivers who donot drive on the extreme right or the left of the road(with this I mean that they are not even in the centre lane). They leave a little space on the right side on the road expecting the car behind to squeeze ahead even when there is no space. When you honk profusely, they take out their full right arm throught the window and gesture you to go ahead pointing on the road as if the entire road has been left for you. This also goes for the puny motorbikes who can barely take their machines above 70kmph and have the entire family including an old lady stradled on it!

And finally, there is a set of drivers on the road who drive ultra slow and preach that fast driving is rash driving. Thes people form the biggest nuicance on the road and cause of accidents also.
If we were meant to drive so slow, then we shouldn't have gone in for modern vehicles and above all bullock carts would have been even more suitable for the cause.
I even experience people going as slow as bullock carts on the right lane giving the left signal as a sign to overtake on the left!
As far for bikes and autos it seems, a look to the left or right replaces the turn indicators or hand signals.
Old 7th December 2007, 00:26   #381
BHPian

And the most important thing is people drive while speaking on the mobile .
i have seen it many times coming near to other vehicle and scratching it (mostly ladies)
Old 7th December 2007, 00:54   #382
Senior - BHPian

Let me try:

1. He/She almost hugs the steering wheel and looks into the windshield like its a spectacle glass.

2. The car backs up at least a foot before moving forward on an inclined surface.

3. He/She revvs the engine to the max before releasing the clutch. When you hear the engine, you're like - 'Jeez! When the hell is the gear going to engage!'
Because of (1), he/she almost bangs himself/herself onto the steering wheel.

4. He/She thinks dipper is normal mode and dimmer is flash for overtaking.

5. He/She overtakes a two-wheeler keeping his/her car at the extreme right side of the road.

6. Honks in empty streets.

....... this is an endless list isn't it?
Old 7th December 2007, 01:09   #383
Senior - BHPian

No trouble

The drunk Tata petrol tanker driver coming around the curve in your lane at high speed is very easy to spot. No trouble spotting him at all, actually.
Old 7th December 2007, 13:37   #384
BHPian

what a perfect list i think you must have experienced it like us . i know it comes from your heart
Old 31st December 2007, 16:33   #385

Vehicles to avoid:
bpo/call centre cabs - particularly from late night to early morning
driven by person talking on mobile - particularly 2-wheelers
Old 8th January 2008, 06:46   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
On the topic of right turns, ever been almost hit by a motorcyclist trying to squeeze through the 65nm gap between you and the median?
And all this, when you have an indicator on and have slowed down practically to a halt. He will take this as an opportunity to overtake you.
Exactly the same thing has happened with me and scratches on the right side of my car bears testimony to that.

My observation is that people who otherwise waste hours, days and months, strangely beecome so much conscious of time that they are prepared to risk their lives ( and that of others) by taking shortcuts just to save a few milli seconds.
Old 14th January 2008, 20:26   #387
BHPian

Yesterday, while taking a U-turn, I was waiting patiently for the on-coming traffic (there was a lot of that coming) to clear out before I complete the turn. And there's this tempo carrier behind me honking away in all fury for my patience! Finally, he got so frustrated that he moved back a little and came to my side, glared at me and the very next second, he simply drives in his carrier right in the middle of the on-coming traffic (as if to show me how it should done) making a few of those coming vehicles screech to a halt. And then, he stops his vehicle for 1-2 secs and looks toward me mouthing some expletives while the vehicles honk on helplessly. Then he shoots off!

Damn, I felt so hard done by and was in fact amused at the whole situation.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:30   #388
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Indeeyaaa Dear Devnull....
That's what you do next time.. Do as Romans Do While In Rome.... Else the onward traffic would never slow down nor stop for you to make the U turn... Of course, you are taking risk, but then, that you do the moment you sit behind the wheel in Indeyaa.. Don't you..????
Old 16th January 2008, 16:51   #389
BHPian

yeah , it happens with me all the time , nobody stops here , you have to take a sudden turn then only people stop
Old 16th January 2008, 17:05   #390
BHPian

Honking without slowing in lane intersections

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
good man
keep it up
my nexia has a brake light problem and one rarely works so that doesnt mean im a reckless driver ..
and you forgot about the one where the guy keeps on honking at you when you are at a red light ..
oh and learners driving in peak traffic in crap cars
I was almost about to add this honking. It is not just about red signals. Those who don't slow down in residential intersecting lanes will simply honk and zip or go at the same pace he/she has been coming. This is the most scary of all for me. Well, our RTO test inpector and driving schools are to be blamed partly, as they also taught this to us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks