Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 14:16   #4201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This guy in a Spark was overtaking with gay abandon and then had to retrace back for his bad exploits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
And he has no left wing mirrors!.
And there's a small kid there on the front seat. Most probably without seatbelts. Why put a young child's life in danger by such irresponsible driving? Common sense is very uncommon !
Old 7th August 2012, 14:16   #4202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
There was no oncoming traffic, so he could go all the way to the junction. What happened next is unusual: the police constable stopped other vehicles and let this bus go first!

Yes of course, there is no point in making the bus hold, since it would block the traffic in the other direction anyway.
We are all happy with the short term benefit, the jugaad, the fevikwik solution. If this volvo had been forced to reverse unto the break in the median, someone would have learnt a lesson. Now he will try to do it everytime and others watching will only imbibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
On telling him that my car is off and parked rightly, he abused and ran off (signal was about to turn green by then) Rs. 5000 lost in replacing the mirror.
If you would have closed the mirror, he would have banged into your A pillar. I have a friend who keeps his ORVM open and wheel turned in direction of traffic for this purpose when he parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Here's a classic case of how PMT drivers are bad drivers. At a stop light, you stop your bus on the extreme left. When the light turns green you rev hard so everyone gets scared by the noise. While everyone is zapped, you quickly take a turn to the right. Yes, swipe across right in front of everyone's nose!!
Ketan, this has been happening multiple times a day at Kothrud stand for ages now. At least last 10 years that I know of. Where did you see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I reached this junction first and stopped behind the limit line only to end up behind a swarm of two wheelers who all went past my car and stopped right on the pedestrian/zebra crossing and some even further ahead!
Everyone wants to be in pole position. As if its the front row of a concert. yeah, I dont get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
When the Merc blasted ahead i spotted a MH 01 number with a team bhp sticker
Please put up the full number here if you have it. Name & shame. It would also help other members in the area to watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This guy in a Spark was overtaking with gay abandon and then had to retrace back for his bad exploits.
There is a kid in the front passenger seat. If not for anyone else, why dont people drive safe for the sake of their kids?
Old 7th August 2012, 21:47   #4203
Senior - BHPian

Why do some people driving hatches drive so recklessly on Pune roads.
This is a incident a day or two ago near weikfield signal, nagar road. I am on the rightmost lane at front and there is this gentleman with shiny goggles on with family in a MH14 red swift diesel.
Traffic Lights turn from Red to Green. I continue in the right lane shifting gears and accelerating to 50kmph. Suddenly, this moron out of the blue thinks something and zips diaganolly from the left side of the road to the extreme right /| I thought almost he hit my left wheel almost, but then i braked and honked continuously. Suddenly he realises his mistake and then swerves left thereby endangering the others on the road. Oh boy, then this guys pulls his window down and starts gesturing etc. I just looked at him for a sec or 2 then zoomed ahead.

Many a times same thing happens at the flyover near koregaon park, everyone wants to get ahead by a feet or so. For i know there are many other simple maneuvers to perform being polite to teach them with their own medicines, i wonder whether i should exercise them

Duh this is so looser type of attitude. Samething with cabbies and tavera guys.. really pain to have on Pune road as company
Old 7th August 2012, 23:09   #4204
BHPian

One such incident happened with me too. I was doing a highway cruise on my Ritz, calm and comfortably at 70km/hr. All at a moment, I happened to hear a continuous loud honk and it turned out to be a white Scorpio behind me out of nowhere. I pulled over slightly to allow it to pass. But instead of overtaking my car he was driving alongside me through the opposite lane. I stared at the guy, I felt shocked learning that he was totally drunk, unable to balance himself inside the car. Adding to my fear, he was smoking and his hands were off the wheel. All of a sudden he accelerated hard
and overtook my car, and raced away through the wrong lane. By this inferior act, he
risk his own life as well as the life of others who use the road.

Beware of bad drivers! They are everywhere.
Old 7th August 2012, 23:13   #4205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Why do some people driving hatches drive so recklessly on Pune roads.
Is it only the owners of hatches who drive recklessly?? Why make such statements in the first place?? Bad drivers just need a 'vehicle' to drive badly. It may range from a bicycle to a truck and everything in between.

I made a slight observation that this thread and the "accidents in India thread" are perhaps the only two threads to be updated daily. Its quite obvious though considering our traffic and road conditions.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 01:20   #4206
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, when the police cannot enforce basic driving laws, how on earth are the mods to be expected to regulate use of T-BHP stickers. This is an absolute nonstarter.

Today, a Good Biker!

Well, he was too close behind, but still... coming up on my left, he saw my left-turn indicator, dropped back and overtook on the right! Wow! I wish he was driving instructor!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 01:33   #4207
BHPian

this scene is common everywhere, Its not just on Highways, you find these Macho morons on city roads as well.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:40   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys, when the police cannot enforce basic driving laws, how on earth are the mods to be expected to regulate use of T-BHP stickers. This is an absolute nonstarter.

Today, a Good Biker!

Well, he was too close behind, but still... coming up on my left, he saw my left-turn indicator, dropped back and overtook on the right! Wow! I wish he was driving instructor!
Sir, the whole idea behind the request is to make sure that atleast the members are made to realise and keep in mind that this is not any other F1 sponsor sticker to simply stick and to show which team they support or which God they workship! Sure you are correct, we cannot barge into every member's car and make sure that he drives properly, but atleast, on records, it could be made in such a way that before ordering the stickers, let them read through the "Road safety precautions/rules" (similar to what is found in UK - Health and Safety briefing before starting any work!) - a boring one page long bla bla bla about road safety and rules adherence. Well, I dont want to take corrective measures after the damage has been done, rather, prevention is better than cure.
Come on, we gripe about our Govt. being lazy and always being reactive and not proactive, so should we be also the same?

Good biker : hehehe - is finding a good biker in chennai so hard? Come on sir, even I used to ride a bike and I believe many chennai BHPians do.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 12:46   #4209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678
One such incident happened with me too. I was doing a highway cruise on my Ritz, calm and comfortably at 70km/hr. .

Beware of bad drivers! They are everywhere.
Is this on Bangalore Pune highway? Because I've seen a lot of people doing this thing. Specially those burly types who are up to no good with their big fat paunches and blood shot eyes.

These people fill themselves till the epiglottis not from cans but from bottles, at the highway stops. Then as if that's not enough they take a six pack or even more with them for the road till they hit the next stop. While they are at this, they keep staring at the women in your group, looking for an opportunity or two. Also they create quite a ruckus in these restaurants and one can't have peaceful family time in their presence.

After all this they head out to their "innocent" white SUVs and hit the road with a vengeance and then people like you and me see them driving in such ways as if its their Grammy's highway. Then hit some innocent driver and end up in the casualty department of nearby hospitals.

I've no problem with drinkers, smokers but I don't like it when someone takes to the wheel in an inebriated state and endangers others lives on the road. In this case there can't be a designated driver also. Because all of them are completely drunk.

And police in our country can only trouble the hatch owners and good SUV owners. They tend to look the other way when aforementioned drivers go an a rampage around town in their hatches, sedans, and SUVs.

(P.s No offense to good and responsible SUV owners intended).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th August 2012 at 13:32. Reason: Please avoid mentioning such words. :)
Old 8th August 2012, 13:19   #4210
Distinguished - BHPian

I sometimes visit the Delhi Traffic police page and follow Mr. Garg. Was shocked to see some of the comments on one of his recent posts regarding school children driving. Take a look at some of the samples:

" putting a ban on under-age drivers is next to impossible. I've seen kids driving a car or bike more sensibly n carefully than their parents. Its better if u start a drive to prosecute motorists who don't follow all other rules. Coz' sometimes due to some urgent work parents have to give keys to their child."

"Everyone thinks that going school in bikes and personal cars is wrong! But hace you ever thought that how hot and suffocating it is to sit in a van filled with 15-20 children inside?"

Such comments just make me wanna kill myself. And then we go on and on about trying to find out ways to make our roads safer. We as a race just understand the language of a Stick and not the carrot. Unless there are some really harsh penalties in place I don't think we can change anything.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:08   #4211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Ketan, this has been happening multiple times a day at Kothrud stand for ages now. At least last 10 years that I know of. Where did you see this?
This was behind our office. Bibvewadi-Kondhwa road signal junction. This kind of behaviour is however seen at many places. For example, the signal near the PMC building. PMT drivers are one of the worst, I have seen and also the bus condition is one of the worst! God forbid if they scrape against you by chance, you will get a tetanus infection on the spot
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 17:00   #4212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Sir, the whole idea behind the request is to make sure that atleast the members are made to realise and keep in mind that this is not any other F1 sponsor sticker to simply stick and to show which team they support or which God they workship! Sure you are correct, we cannot barge into every member's car and make sure that he drives properly, but atleast, on records, it could be made in such a way that before ordering the stickers, let them read through the "Road safety precautions/rules" (similar to what is found in UK - Health and Safety briefing before starting any work!) - a boring one page long bla bla bla about road safety and rules adherence. Well, I dont want to take corrective measures after the damage has been done, rather, prevention is better than cure.
Come on, we gripe about our Govt. being lazy and always being reactive and not proactive, so should we be also the same?
Your aims and intentions I completely agree with, but I don't think the reality will follow.

It is a shame. The stickers were designed, issued and sold in good faith, and many members use them in good faith, but there cannot be any effective control of those that don't.

Quote:
Good biker : hehehe - is finding a good biker in chennai so hard? Come on sir, even I used to ride a bike and I believe many chennai BHPians do.
Yes, it is so hard.

Of course, the usual applies: we don't actually notice the good ones as much. What's more, they may say they cannot win, because, proceeding at a reasonable speed, in a safe way, they then get shouted at by the car drivers for getting in the way

Over 50% of Chennai's vehicles are two-wheelers. The Chennai BHPian bikers that I know of are under no illusion as to the general skills of most of those bikers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 17:31   #4213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Everyone thinks that going school in bikes and personal cars is wrong! But have you ever thought that how hot and suffocating it is to sit in a van filled with 15-20 children inside?"
At a moral level, can we actually blame him for thinking that way ? Most parts of India are hot. Add a non-a/c bus and loads of kids, and it might not be fun for him/her. Especially when we have tbhp-ians complaining about the SC enforcing the sunfilm-ban rule citing all kinds of reasons under the sun (pun intended) - a/c not effective, sun's UV rays causing diseases, privacy, women-folk not feeling safe, women-folk being looked at etc etc. If we who have atleast the a/c to keep out heat can complain about a legal requirement being implemented, why not someone else about some other rule which is not valid in his opinion ?

P.S.: Underage riding/driving is wrong and is not being encouraged by above post. Just to bring out the general hypocritical attitude we have in India. When it hurts us, the rule is illogical, even though the fact that a driver with dark films has visibility impaired (which is why the rule exists in the 1st place) and thus a threat to other road-users. When it is about someone else, then he is in violation.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th August 2012 at 17:34.
Old 8th August 2012, 22:42   #4214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
At a moral level, can we actually blame him for thinking that way ? Most parts of India are hot. Add a non-a/c bus and loads of kids, and it might not be fun for him/her. Especially when we have tbhp-ians complaining about the SC enforcing the sunfilm-ban rule citing all kinds of reasons under the sun (pun intended) - a/c not effective, sun's UV rays causing diseases, privacy, women-folk not feeling safe, women-folk being looked at etc etc. If we who have atleast the a/c to keep out heat can complain about a legal requirement being implemented, why not someone else about some other rule which is not valid in his opinion ?
Sir as a kid I used to be one of those 15 odd kids stuffed inside a school van and commute in the horrible Delhi heat. And to add to it those days there were no ACs or inverters ( atleast in my house). But I came out alive from the ordeal alright. Now I am not saying that the parent above has no right to think the best for his child's comfort. But if there kids are so used to AC and they can afford to give them the spare car then I am sure that they can also make arrangements for a driver to take them to school. Its just the attitude of people in our country that bad things cannot happen to them.
Old 8th August 2012, 23:03   #4215
BHPian

This post would actually be apt in 'Bad Parents Thread', but since we don't have such a thread on TBHP, I'd rather post it here.

Last edited by prateekm : 8th August 2012 at 23:12.
prateekm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed