Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:09   #4351
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Added flavour, you are absolutely right. Driving a loaded truck through our congested roads is not a child play. IMO, those truck drivers are the safest drivers on the road. They have got plenty of respect for every other road users like us. They drive at much lower speed with caution even if the roads are empty. Whatever may happen, they always keep their line and accelerates or breaks gently every time. In spite of having bad rear view they always try their level best to allow every vehicle behind them to pass. They won't try to disturb overtaking maneuvers by other small vehicles and maintains a safe parallel distance. Its a hard job but those drivers show their true dedication to what they are doing.

IMO, hats off to those truckers.
junaid12345678 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:35   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal

Couldn't agree more. On highways, its relatively safe to overtake the trucks than the passenger cars/suv's irrespective of which track they are in.
99% of the time, the trucks keep their lane unlike the cars which can swerve/brake/accelerate at any point of time.
At three digit speeds, its these cars who have no highway etiquette that are nightmares.
The only time I observed trucks blocking the way is when one truck tries to overtake another one.
From my observations, i feel at 80% of the truckers as good drivers and follow all rules. It's the dumper drivers who are real rash drivers, and simply refuse to give way to faster vehicles. I've observed these truckers changing lanes without any warning + swerving all over the road as per their wish!
These truckers deserve to be taught a lesson!
What you say is right, it's best to let them be as they are and just overtake them from the other side, and move on! No point increasing our own blood pressure over these mindless maniacs!
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:55   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i fail to understand why should this be allowed in the first place? can't people park on the left and cross the road?
The reason behind this is, On this stretch, madiwala market is located. The other side of the street is narrow. The cars are to be parked on the right side, since a bus stand is located a little further on the left.

Moreover, why find this surprising when people park their cars in front of house gates with no parking boards! there is no rhyme or reason why people do something in India.
Old 2nd September 2012, 15:30   #4354
Distinguished - BHPian

Illegal parking in front of Meenakshi Mall despite huge parking space in the Mall.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ip1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ip2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ip3.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:27   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
parked on the wrong side - rightmost lane (near the divider) - at the Madiwala market this morning.
Mr.H4WK, that i10 with the stickers is a regular visitor there. I've seen it at the very same spot a lot many times.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:50   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
The reason behind this is, On this stretch, madiwala market is located. The other side of the street is narrow. The cars are to be parked on the right side, since a bus stand is located a little further on the left.
that logic doesn't make sense either - i've seen people park on the rightmost and the leftmost lanes on the other side as well. the bus stop near the Madiwala police station is way ahead, after the market. i've witnessed numerous just misses of rear-endings on this stretch when people change lane to overtake slower moving vehicles, only to find their path blocked by these vehicles parked on wrong side!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 3rd September 2012 at 10:51.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:53   #4357
BHPian

Quote:
that logic doesn't make sense either - i've seen people park on the rightmost and the leftmost lanes on the other side as well. the bus stop near the Madiwala police station is way ahead, after the market. i've witnessed numerous just misses of rear-endings on this stretch when people change lane to overtake slower moving vehicles, only to find their path blocked by these vehicles parked on wrong side!
The main reason for this is the market. There are lorries and vans constantly loading, unloading stuff for the market here. I agree that parking on the right is illegal, just saying.
And if you say that the police allows it, well it doesn't add up to anything. I still don't comprehend how the road next to Garuda mall is the like how you'd drive in the US, on the right

Last edited by bharat4ever : 3rd September 2012 at 10:55.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:27   #4358
Senior - BHPian

The merc pictured below was parked really stupidly.

Sure, there wasn't much traffic at the time (it was about 8:30 pm), but to park halfway onto the pavement is just plain idiotic, especially given how much space was available for parking.

Common sense is unfortunately such an uncommon thing.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 7th September 2012 at 10:28. Reason: formatting
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 11:41   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Bad driver checklist: Please add more examples if you feel
1) Young girl/woman riding any kind of gear-less scooter
2) College going boy riding a kinetic/gear-less scooter
3) Any SUV with political/vernacular number plate
4) Cars driven by really short females (so short that you feel the car is driving itself)
5) Really old first time drivers.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:58   #4360
Distinguished - BHPian

If you going to wildly generalise, I'm surprised not to see foolish youths that think they know about cars on your list. By the way: most of those are male. And some of them are short.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 13:02   #4361
Senior - BHPian

this B.M.T.C driver can't wait in line, he just needs to get ahead - even if it means driving on the wrong side and putting other people's lives in danger!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_7746.jpg
Old 7th September 2012, 13:27   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
this B.M.T.C driver can't wait in line, he just needs to get ahead - even if it means driving on the wrong side and putting other people's lives in danger!
And if you do a check on their number plates in the BTP site, they would have mustered up a huge unpaid fines list. On BTP page I've seen BMTC buses that have as much as 4k as fine to be paid.

They roam freely searching the next prey to run over
Old 7th September 2012, 14:29   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not only that. He will go ahead and stop right in front of the first bus, with the hope that his passengers can alight and get in before the first bus moves. Also, if at all he stops behind the first bus, there is a possibility that the first bus would leave while people are still alighting/boarding his bus. The third bus will surely get past this guy and stop in front of him. Earlier he was behind one bus, and now he ends up behind two buses.

Hence, try to get as much ahead as possible, and block any other bus from overtaking him.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:26   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Double parkers!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-005.jpg
Old 9th September 2012, 10:27   #4365
Senior - BHPian

on our way home, we were waiting at the Frazer Town/ITC flyover signal (Assaye road side). when the signal went green, the black Swift on my left cut me off and bolted through the signal. when i honked (as to why you cut me off), i got an irritated look from the driver. immediately there was a comment from my wife look, another moron with your team-bhp sticker! that's when i saw the LTD at the back of the Swift!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_7781.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed