Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2005, 13:25   #31
Team-BHP Support

side mirrors are good, 1-blind spot, but do not assume u can avoid turning ur neck coz in India it is required. 2- personally my ikon got saved 2 or 3 times being scratched by tempos and autos while stuck in traffic jam, i rather prefer a broken mirror compared to a scratch my babe, which exactly my driver once did :( a small one but it HURTS :(
Old 21st January 2005, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
3: Ambassadors – especially taxi/ yellow plates – they have nothing to lose – exception – polished black Ambys driven by respectable old men

4: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
point 3 - not when the black amby's being reversed !!!

point 4 - yeh rudra u sound ancient - agreed at the time u began there were no side mirrors but now that they are available y not use them ??

its like there were no computers when u studied so why use them now ?

cheers
Old 21st January 2005, 15:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

even i find the cetral RVM more confortable, its only on highway that i need the side ones..

As abt te 2nd point, i have observed its the taxi & long distance drivers who sit extremely right towards the door.
Old 21st January 2005, 16:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

whenever u see a car driven at 40 kph in the right lane i99%of the time it has to be driven by a lady.keep away from such types.
in addition to the usual buses,trucks,rikshaw drivers ,2-wheeles....,i think one of the worst drivers are people with free flow n other mods,
as in the initial days ,the driver is a real maniac.in trying to hear the sound and in trying to show off u end up almost crashing into someone else.
Old 21st January 2005, 16:30   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superb write up Ajmat.

The one way to spot a good driver from bad is the way they parallel park . And I absolutely HATE it when someone is trying to park ahead of/behind my car. They just have to nick the bumper or the side.

GTO
Old 21st January 2005, 16:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

hey ajmat
i dont thgink its an electrical prob ..
tried getting it repaired but nothing happened ... still the same

and guys
i may be underage but anyone who has seen me drive will garuntee tht im better then 80% of the other guys out there ..
i give signals and everything ..
race only when there is no one in sight ..
i may have been reckless once or twice when my zen stalled up hill >30degrees ..
i had to step on the gas and ll to make it climb nd i guess it sort of inconvienienced the guy behind me

also might i add.
in malabar hill , while going up the hill, aftert the HP petrolpump on neapensea road, a lot of guys go on the wrong side of the road which inconviences people going downhill ..
i just cant understand it ...
Old 21st January 2005, 16:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one way to spot a good driver from bad is the way they parallel park .
Spot On

If one parallel parks by just using his mirrors as references and does a perfect park, hes a good driver

Dippy
Old 21st January 2005, 18:32   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot
Also the best buses and st buses on the highways coming from the wrong side..
If et all you manage to come to Pune check out how the local government transport buses ply [PMT] and you might feel BEST is safer...
Old 21st January 2005, 18:50   #39
BHPian

No one mentioned the TATA 407's, wonder if it does not ply in cities other than Calcutta or they are well behaved ones.......with so much power & ill trained drivers, they simply misuse it . The way they drive, seems they are eternally late for something.

One more menace here is the private buses & mini Buses, racing with each other in office times and at other off-peak times, moving like a turtle blocking the whole road.
Old 21st January 2005, 20:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

My rule is simple, just consider every other driver/rider on the road a complete maniac, capable of doing anything at any point of time. Trust me, thats all it takes.

Today, this helped me save my Vtec from a lot of trouble. I was following a Trax with a lot of load in it, obviously he was travelling at snails pace, blocking the entire road. There was no room on the right hand side, for me to overtake. So i went to the left side and was about to accelerate (since it was a divided road - like a small expressway), when it suddenly struck me. ""What if there's a car trying to cross the road through one off the gaps between the divider?"" and bamm, there it came!!! A silver zen coming from the other side, just cut across the road making the Trax swerve to a halt, while i just about made it with a little tyre squeal but no contact what so ever.

If i were to accelerate and overtake him from the left i'd have hit that Zen at around 60-80 kmph, ouch!!

I dunnu how or why, but just before something like this happens, i get this wierd feeling in my stomach, as if it's trying to give me a hint, to the disaster about to happen.

When it comes to driving, i trust no-one but me.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2005, 21:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
At least here in Bangalore, its the auto drivers who employ this technique... and since an auto driver sits in the center of the auto, all you manage to see from behind the auto are three fingers poking out.
HAHAHAahaaaaaaa..aa.a.a.aaaa Thats so damnnn true man!!!!! Those 3fingers are so annoying and disturbing at times that my middle finger starts itching!!!!!!hahahahaaaaa..aaa....
Old 21st January 2005, 21:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Shan2nu ur Stomach has Sixth sense j/k
Old 21st January 2005, 21:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu ur Stomach has Sixth sense j/k
Yeah man it's true, it's the same feeling you get before you go for an exam. I dunno what sense it is, but it's saved me a lot of times and i'm happy to have it. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 21st January 2005, 23:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

What i find amazing are the rear view mirrors fixed on the trucks. The owners/drivers buy rear view mirrors of bikes and fix them on their vehicles!!! Maybe cuz they are cumpolsory now but how the hell can a truck driver see anyone behind him with a bike's rear view mirror????
Also, I always notice the tyres of these trucks/buses/taxi's/autos. Each and every vehicle has totally bald tyres. I guess these guys never change their tyres ever in the lifetime of their vehicles.
Old 21st January 2005, 23:08   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

how to spot fools-
1.driving with both the rear view mirrors folded.
2.driving in high beam at 20kmph.
3.overtaking on turns.
4.driving with headrests removed,bacuse they are fitted to prevent the neck in a accident.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks