Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 07:45   #4546
Senior - BHPian

And more often that posture is complimented by a lady pillion at the rear and an infant on the fuel tank!

When you honk to get their attention they get so worked up!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th November 2012 at 07:46.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:56   #4547
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Add to that you have a child who is dozing off squeezed between the driver and pillion rider both oblivious of the child slowly tilting to one side. Honking to get their attention sometimes does not yield anyhting as the driver moves to another lane but continues riding in the same way.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:15   #4548
Senior - BHPian

2 bad parkings spotted yesterday @ 8.00AM.

[1] How difficult it is to park your car inside the designated parking area? The time was 8 AM on a Sunday morning and there weren't any cars parked in front of the white car.

[2] The red Maruti was parked bang in the middle of the road, with the owner nowhere to be seen. I thought it must have broken down, but in that case it should have at-least been pushed to the side of the road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0231.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0232.jpg
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 09:20   #4549
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The fourth time in the last 3 or 4 months that I am facing deep irritation with a horrible Woman Driver in a BR01 registered Suzuki SX4.

She always comes at high speed from the Sarjapur/ Agara side and tries to barge in to any available gap on that already foreshortened road. Weaving from left to right like a sidewinder...

Then turns abruptly right onto the small Koramangala 80 feet road towards Sony World junction - always at speed and always incessantly honking.

Then barges into the extreme right side lane by squeezing everyone else out of her way.

Then smashes on the indicator and cuts to the left to take the Raheja Residency Road.

All this is done mind you, in a completely blissful ignorance of any and all other road users around her.

At the 8th Main road junction again bangs on the indicator and ploughs through traffic to turn right.

Horn blaring, consistent bad driving behaviour, obviously no manners or any kind of quality upbringing at all.

She is probably a highly educated, highly paid Manager in some IT company or bank or something and probably married to an equally highly paid professional.

Heaven knows what her hurry is OR she just might be an useless "time-manager", having to juggle her blighted kid's school and breakfast etc and still get to her desk job on time!! (Today is a holiday for schools all over so it cant be the breakfast jugglery thingy...)

Without wishing to be parochial, I do most definitely resent this kind of behaviour from such people!!

Last edited by noopster : 12th November 2012 at 10:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 09:43   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The fourth time in the last 3 or 4 months that I am facing deep irritation with a horrible Woman Driver in a BR01 registered Suzuki SX4.

Without wishing to be parochial, I do most definitely resent this kind of behaviour from such people!!
I think I may have come across her. In case of her or any such person doing the sidewinder thing, I have a simple trick, slow down. Leave enough space on the right (if they want to overtake the human way), but they don't get a inch on the left and definitely nothing if they ride the bumper. Slow them down and ensure that a few vehicles actually overtake both of us.

No staring, no blaring. Even if they try to cut you across while overtaking (which they generally do not: They seem to get the point), since you are not going fast, it hardly has any impact.

Alternatively, when I am being a nasty boy, I just slot it in 2nd, pick the revs, throw in a cloud of black soot (floor the pedal in any diesel below the turbo zone) and say bye-bye.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:07   #4551
BHPian

Yesterday, the western express highway, somewhere near Andheri, the traffic is moving at a pace of about 45-50 Kmph and I am in the right most lane flashing my headlights at a santro ahead for a side. What do I see in the next few seconds makes me rethink about the safety of bikers in our city.

A easy-cab driver in his esteem(IIRC) is speeding down through the LEFTMOST lane and his speed being nothing less than 80-85 kmph. Speeding down the leftmost lane, cutting not only heavy vehicles, cars, but also the bikers and making his way through blaring horns and flashing lines.

Next second, moving from the left most lane to the second lane just to overtake a truck moving at a steady 35kmph, and then again getting to the left cutting across the truck!

He seemed to be in utmost hurry so as to not even care a bit for the others. Me driving, I told dad to just note the number of the car, but by the time dad could do that, Mr. Urgent was diminishing and getting out of sight.

This incident helped me make a decision, however urgent it may be, I AM NOT GOING TO HIRE AN EASY CAB EVER IN MY LIFE. Such drivers always put a bad impression of other company cabs on the road.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 10:41   #4552
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040

I think I may have come across her. In case of her or any such person doing the sidewinder thing, I have a simple trick, slow down. Leave enough space on the right (if they want to overtake the human way), but they don't get a inch on the left and definitely nothing if they ride the bumper. Slow them down and ensure that a few vehicles actually overtake both of us.

No staring, no blaring. Even if they try to cut you across while overtaking (which they generally do not: They seem to get the point), since you are not going fast, it hardly has any impact.

Alternatively, when I am being a nasty boy, I just slot it in 2nd, pick the revs, throw in a cloud of black soot (floor the pedal in any diesel below the turbo zone) and say bye-bye.
I can retaliate in kind but I just don't want to descend to her level and leave absolutely no distance between the two totally different types of people that we are...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 00:05   #4553
BHPian

I can't say I didn't see this coming. I had to. I just had to. Here's a little brief of what happened tonight.

A 3 lane road leads upto a 2 lane Dwarka flyover. In bumper to bumper peak hour traffic the tendency of cars on the left lane is to shift to the lane on the right to get on the flyover. This chain reaction is started by the left most lane which ofcourse cannot barge into the flyover unless they go towards the right.

I am usually on the second lane from the right and mindful of the 'right of way' of the right most lane and brake or slow down till I have enough space to move ahead. Things were no different today.

This Santro Xing being driven by a man who was on the phone was constantly honking at me fearing I would invade his lane. I did not. He kept honking only this time he was honking at the vehicle ahead of him. The car was keeping pace with the traffic ahead and had no way to go.

So he changes lanes comes behind me and continues honking. I get irritated, his lights are on high beam and he is honking so much, I could not hear my mother speak who was sitting in the passenger seat.

He continued honking and along with that turned his lights to full beam. This irritated me to the core. I lost it. I checked the mirrors and since I was maintaining a good distance from all cars left or right and this idiot behind me. I braked. I didn't move. He kept honking for a few seconds till he realized this is exactly why I had stopped. The honking stopped and I started driving again.

If the traffic wasn't so dense I had plans to give him a mouthful. Phew!
AbhishekB86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 01:59   #4554
BHPian

I usually take my Maruti 800, whenever I have to get around in the city. Springy and small it makes its way in the choked up traffic easily. But whenever I go in my Maruti, the number of honks I hear behind me go out of the box. Although I am a defensive driver but I never go at snail's pace and always maintain a km or two above the posted limits. We Indians judge a lot.

Once on the Racecourse road (Vadodara) it was bumper to bumper traffic and all the lanes were choked up. I think traffic was moving around 5km/h. Suddenly I hear a car honking like mad behind me, the driver was incessantly honking to overtake me, I think. But the traffic was so choked up that it was amusing to me what he actually meant.

It got to me after 5 or so minutes and I raised my right arm out of the window and with my hand I did the famous Indian sign of "Kya Hai ?" The sign comprises me twisting my wrist with pointer finger straight and rest of the fingers folded. The driver upon seeing this backed off and to my bewilderedness stopped dead in the middle of traffic and turned his blinkers to merge in the other lane.

Now someone may say that he might have an emergency on hand, but then he should have had his hazard lights on. I think even then it was impossible for him to make his way out of the traffic.

I think he was a bad driver for wanting other people to respect his shenanigans and make way for him somehow.
Old 13th November 2012, 14:40   #4555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
He continued honking and along with that turned his lights to full beam. This irritated me to the core. I lost it. I checked the mirrors and since I was maintaining a good distance from all cars left or right and this idiot behind me. I braked. I didn't move. He kept honking for a few seconds till he realized this is exactly why I had stopped. The honking stopped and I started driving again.
What's unusual here is that the guy realised and changed his behaviour. Actually, he scores a point for that.

He'd score many more if the change wasn't temporary. Unlikely, but one can hope!
Old 13th November 2012, 23:46   #4556
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Such are the people whom I call educated illiterates.

They get the hang of operating the steering and the A,B,C and think they know driving.

I don't think they consider traffic rules and road manners as a part of driving.
Old 14th November 2012, 01:08   #4557
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Since i drive a lot inside Chennai, there is always someone or the other trying to get on my nerves. I'm generally not bothered, especially when I'm in my Endeavour, but I'm very careful when i drive my Fiesta (one of the reasons i prefer an Endeavour while driving inside the city).

This happened yesterday late in the evening. I was at the infamous Camp Road and due to the Festive season, the road was more like a market. I was driving my Fiesta and was in the process of getting out of Camp Road. The signal was green and due to the stop go traffic there was a two Wheeler stranded in front of me trying to get to the opposite lane. I did not loose my cool, but waited patiently for the two Wheeler to cross.

All this while, there was a Figo behind me constantly flickering his high beams. I thought he must be a fellow BHPian, who spotted my car and wants me to acknowledge him. The signal turns red and i come to a halt. The Figo comes on my left and when i expected a smile and a thumbs up, all i got is a BIG stare from the driver and some hand signals (i guess he thought it was because of me that he was caught up in the red signal). When the signal turned green, and i was to take a right turn, the Figo cut in front of me and tried to ram into my left side. I had to brake hard to avoid him, while keeping an eye on the RVMs to see that my bumper is not banged.

This got my adrenalin pumping and since i knew how slow the Figo TDCi is of the blocks, i weaved past him from the left and braked in front of him. For the next 100 meters i did not allow him to over take and blocked him. I had regained my cool by then, and knew i was wrong, i let him pass. This time, there was no staring, no hand signals, just nothing.

But, i will remember this incident for a long time and will try my best not to lose my cool again.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 16:21   #4558
BHPian

Yesterday I came across two crazy (well educated) guys in their early twenties in Old Mumbai-Pune road, between Pimpri Finolex Chowk and Chinchwad Big Bazar. We were travelling from Nigdi to Pune Station and immideately after reaching D-Mart, we noticed that two guys are riding their bike in opposite direction which is just opposite to the main stream traffic. Remember the road is four lanes with properly installed dividers and these guys had taken a right U-turn. There is an exit just 300 meters ahead and I guess they were heading to make an exit via entrance just infront of the D-Mart which is approximately 200 meters behind. Luckily we were at 40-50Kmph speed so managed to take the left lane and continued our journey. This is an open strech and drivers normally maintain a speed in the range of 70-80kmph. If we were in that speed range, no doubt it could have been proven fatal.

I really wonder, how people can be so ingorant and negligent on roads. I too had a belief that people who are educated will be well mannered on roads. But that belief slowly changing now..!
Old 14th November 2012, 17:46   #4559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
Since i drive a lot inside Chennai

But, i will remember this incident for a long time and will try my best not to lose my cool again.
Chennai's worst are the share autos, call taxis and two wheelers. They always get on your nerves. Two wheelers cut across you at their own will and we have to slam the brakes to avoid ploughing them. Share auto and call taxi drivers too are really inconsiderate. Whenever i go for a drive, there's always a moron out there to spoil the fun.

It's also irritating to see how people move from the left most lane towards the median to take a turn without using blinkers !
Old 16th November 2012, 10:35   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can this be forwarded to Bangalore Traffic Police flagged as dangerous driving?
I am from a different state, so cant really gauge the feasibility, but having seen on what the BTP is doing online, and in the interest of other road users, can this be done?
And if they act, one less irritant on the road as a result.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks