Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 22:35   #4786
BANNED

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I have seen a few car drivers who tend to tail gate very close to the car in the front. Even a slightest dab on the brakes by the front car with have a collision. A million times I have seen accidents happen between cars and trucks where the car gets under the trucks protection bar.

The other set of drivers I see are ones that try and overtake even when there is not enough place on either sides and keep changing lanes every second to find quick gap. they keep moving like a snake. Can't help such drivers but pray nothing goes wrong to the other road users.

Anurag.
Old 15th December 2012, 23:25   #4787
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

Omtoatom, if I were you, I would put up the plates.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 08:59   #4788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have seen a few car drivers who tend to tail gate very close to the car in the front...
A few! You are a lucky man. Here, if it is a taxi, most SUV/other-bully-vehicle (Hint: Bullbars = Bully vehicle ) you can turn off your engine and they will push . Happens every trip, every day, multiple times.

It is a very good thing I cannot speak Tamil: I would get myself into a lot of trouble. One thing is I feel like asking these guys why they have such a keen interest in my backside!

Last edited by Eddy : 16th December 2012 at 10:38. Reason: Extra smiley
Old 16th December 2012, 14:08   #4789
Distinguished - BHPian

Another nuisance that keeps repeating itself. Yesterday me and my friend were going in his swift to a dhabba for dinner. We are on the highway in the rightmost lane overtaking a row of trucks on our left, on a speed of around 100. From nowhere this Fortuner comes with aftermarket white lights ( which are ofcourse off-focus) and starts honking and flashing his lights. It is so irritating to be subjected to that glare. It was like daylight in our car all of a sudden. What did he expect us to do? Go to the left and get crushed under the truck to give him way? Or perhaps jump the divider and go on the other side of the road. Or speed up to 150 kmph like him?

I really controlled myself in not slowing down further and continue to drive at the speed of those trucks to not leave any choice for him but to stay behind me for the next half an hour. But better sense prevailed and gave the moron way to zoom ahead.

Another thing that came to my mind was people who are prone to get seizures ( epileptic patients ) are at a huge risk from such behaviour. Such intense flashing of lights could actually trigger a seizure in such people.
drmohitg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 15:40   #4790
BHPian

I had a scary moment yesterday from one such "bad driver". Was driving on a regular two lane road. the road was empty with just one biker approaching me. Everything normal so far. As the biker is approaching me I see the biker is now looking to one side, I dont not know whether he is looking at a billboard or what but I get a gut feeling that something's not right and I start slowing down.He is still looking sideways or sort of looking behind now and his bike has crossed the white line dividing both the lanes. I give a honk thinking he will correct it but as he starts getting closer the bike has crossed the line and he is riding straight into me. There were deep gutters on both the sides of the road and I had no place to go .I now keep my hand on the horn and brake to stop, fortunately the guy looks infront and swerves away from me back into his lane. He is obviously shocked and says sorry when he is crossing me in his lane.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:03   #4791
BHPian

KA03 MR 2057 is the number of a silver Highline Vento TDI. Usually travels between Mahadevpura, on Outer Ring Road to Manyata Tech Park in Bangalore. The guy was on his mobile all the while during the 40 min peak our drive, was driving like a maniac, I counted 3 bikes and 5 pedestrians had a near escape. The guy's one had was on the mobile, and was using the other hand to show finger to whoever complained him while overtaking.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:10   #4792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
KA03 MR 2057 is the number of a silver Highline Vento TDI. Usually travels between Mahadevpura, on Outer Ring Road to Manyata Tech Park in Bangalore. The guy was on his mobile all the while during the 40 min peak our drive, was driving like a maniac, I counted 3 bikes and 5 pedestrians had a near escape. The guy's one had was on the mobile, and was using the other hand to show finger to whoever complained him while overtaking.
He'll learn the hard way. Eventually, either he or his car will get thumped if he continues unabated. Obviously, reporting him to the authorities will only set him back by a measly Rs. 100.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:18   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
He'll learn the hard way. Eventually, either he or his car will get thumped if he continues unabated. Obviously, reporting him to the authorities will only set him back by a measly Rs. 100.
I agree with you on this, but till the time he learns it the hard way he is a threat to so many ethical drivers and innocent pedestrians on the road
Old 18th December 2012, 19:16   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Had an unpleasant experience at Cunningham road today.

A fortuner,number ending with 1700 was tailgating,honking and flashing lights like mad. All this when we were stuck in slow moving traffic. I think he thought my car has a jetpack so that I could fly up momentarily and make way for him

The moment he gets a few mm of clearance he overtakes from the left and gestures rudely. Such elaborate fools who drive these cars so rashly not realizing it has poor brakes.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:59   #4795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Had an unpleasant experience at Cunningham road today.

A fortuner,number ending with 1700 was tailgating,honking and flashing lights like mad. All this when we were stuck in slow moving traffic. I think he thought my car has a jetpack so that I could fly up momentarily and make way for him

The moment he gets a few mm of clearance he overtakes from the left and gestures rudely. Such elaborate fools who drive these cars so rashly not realizing it has poor brakes.
True, the ethics of Car owners has really gone down. Moreover they don't realize how dangerous this can be.

My dad always told me that guns and cars are similar, with both these things you can kill a person. The only difference is that not everyone gets a license to own a firearm in our country. But every other fool can own a car and drive it....

Be responsible in handling the vehicle!
evilshantanu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 21:11   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
True, the ethics of Car owners has really gone down. Moreover they don't realize how dangerous this can be.

Be responsible in handling the vehicle!
Very true. Its so dangerous, yet people drive without the slightest of courtesy to fellow road users.

A 2 ton behemoth with poor brakes, driven by a person with utter disregard to other road users, encouraged by the pot-bellied mid 50s owner. A disaster just waiting to happen.

The aggressiveness on our roads these days is just unbelievable! Both owner and driver were gesturing rudely for taking up their "oh so precious two mins"
Old 19th December 2012, 08:01   #4797
BHPian

Bad rider = Bad citizen.

Stopped for not wearing helmet, biker hits traffic cop

Quote:
The police arrested the couple for preventing a police officer from discharging his duty
Old 19th December 2012, 12:10   #4798
Senior - BHPian

This incident happened last week on the road in front of my home at Kerala. It is one of those typical town roads in Kerala - tarred area wide enough for at best a bus and car to pass each other, no median, no line markings and having around 3-4 feet of untarred space on each side for pedestrians. A WagonR guy wants to overtake another car moving at reasonably good speed and this means between them both the cars are using all the tarred portion of the road with none left for an oncoming vehicle.

There is a guy riding a bicycle coming from the opposite direction and he gets flustered seeing the Waggy come so close to his side. He is a coconut-picker by profession and he has with him a large broad sharp knife called vettukathi which is used in their job. As the Waggy passes him, he whacks the right-side ORVM with the knife, breaking the glass/plastic cover to smithereens. The Waggy moves a little ahead and stops, with the driver climbing out with the intention to question the damage to his car. Only to see our guy standing there brandishing his knife at him. Obviously the Waggy guy chooses flight over fight and drives off.

This road till a few years ago ended at the river and so barely had traffic on it. With the bridge that came across the river, it is a mad rush on the road now and inspite of the sharp curve at some sections, people don't bother to slow down or avoid risky overtaking.
supremeBaleno is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 12:16   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Waggy moves a little ahead and stops, with the driver climbing out with the intention to question the damage to his car. Only to see our guy standing there brandishing his knife at him. Obviously the Waggy guy chooses flight over fight and drives off.
I stand up and salute that coconut vendor.

I want to invite him to Bangalore, WITH his 'vettukathi'.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 18:36   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This incident happened last week on the road in front of my home at Kerala. It is one of those typical town roads in Kerala - tarred area wide enough for at best a bus and car to pass each other, no median, no line markings and having around 3-4 feet of untarred space on each side for pedestrians. A WagonR guy wants to overtake another car moving at reasonably good speed and this means between them both the cars are using all the tarred portion of the road with none left for an oncoming vehicle.
would have loved to witness that scene at least the wagon r dude had the sense to walk away from the issue but hope at least then he would have realized his mistake.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2012 at 12:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks