Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 22:29   #4801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Had a funny incident today that I felt could be shared on this thread. Sat in a colleagues car on the rear seat since there were 4 of us. Buckled up the seatbelt the moment I sat down only to realize my colleague staring at me in the IRVM. He then tells me that he is really feeling insulted and hurt that I don't trust his driving and wore a seat belt. I just couldn't understand how to explain it to him but told him that I usually put on the belt. Anything more and he would have surely never talked to me again

Moral of the story: Due to the legal enforcement almost every car driver has become used to wearing the seat belts in the front for fear of getting challaned. But very few of them realize that there cars also have belts in the back seat which are equally important for the passengers sitting in the back.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th December 2012 at 22:31.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 23:29   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Moral of the story: Due to the legal enforcement almost every car driver has become used to wearing the seat belts in the front for fear of getting challaned. But very few of them realize that there cars also have belts in the back seat which are equally important for the passengers sitting in the back.
I spent 3 months in India last year after 2 years in the US. I did not take my car from my native place to my work city, so I was often getting dropped by someone or the other. It was rather interesting to be the front passenger and be wearing a seatbelt while the driver refuses to do so because it was uncomfortable or they don't drive fast enough in traffic to warrant a seat belt.
The moment there is knowledge of traffic cops or any sort of random checkpoint, the discomfort and the speed issue magically disappears though.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 07:57   #4803
BHPian

Ofcourse, we have India in the list:

http://jalopnik.com/5969766/the-hard...s-in-the-world
Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:23   #4804
BHPian

Infact, the law should be applied to the rear seat passengers also, then just to evade the cops, people will start to wear the belts.

It will be in order after some time, but just by creating a law, which doesn't need major economic or practical problems, we can surely save lots of lives.
Old 20th December 2012, 23:04   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Ofcourse, we have India in the list:

http://jalopnik.com/5969766/the-hard...s-in-the-world
I'm surprised we are not much worse off in the list. . If you read about the other countries, they mostly have some special circumstances to make the travels bad.

On a side note, I saw this bunch of videos on bad drivers. Some videos have NSFW language, so watch carefully. I'm guessing they are from Calgary in Canada. Lots of things I see on a regular basis seem to be captured in these videos. However I don't agree with the guy who posted the links completely either. Good fun, nevertheless
Youtube link of videos
Old 21st December 2012, 00:44   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But very few of them realize that there cars also have belts in the back seat which are equally important for the passengers sitting in the back.
Let me add garage mechanics to the list of people totally convinced that seat belts in the back are a decorative irritant.

Every time (without exception) my car comes back from service, parts of the rear seat belt have been neatly tucked beneath the back seat!
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 10:50   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Let me add garage mechanics to the list of people totally convinced that seat belts in the back are a decorative irritant.

Every time (without exception) my car comes back from service, parts of the rear seat belt have been neatly tucked beneath the back seat!

+1 . I totally agree with this. Just today I was cleaning up the inside and realized the folks did push the belt and buckle behind/under the seat.

Pulled it back and placed it where it was.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:55   #4808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

Every time I go to pick up my car from service and notice the rear seat belts placed under the seat. I ask the mechanics to bring them back up and they tell me "If the buckles are under the seat there will be more space for passengers in the rear seat". They go on to tell me how the seat belts in the rear are given for other countries and they are useless in India!! What's funny is that I go to pick up my car each and every time and without fail they always ask me if I want the buckles up or underneath, as if my decision will change.
I always ensure that passengers in the rear always wear the seat belt in my car.

Last edited by carfreak77 : 21st December 2012 at 15:58.
carfreak77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 18:57   #4809
BHPian

Today I became a bad driver in Jayanagar 4th block.
I parked my car on right hand side under the parking board. Perfectly right.
When I came back saw a parking ticket on the front window.

Took it and went to the Inspector who was doling it out to some other vehicles. I told him that I parked it under the legal parking board, why fine me? Well he told me that I parked in the wrong lane. The right lane is supposed to be for odd days and left hand lane for even days.

I noticed there was 1,3,5,7... written on the parking board. Then I noticed that someone has clearly painted the the "odd" part from ODD DAYS under the numbers.

Yeah my mistake should have been more careful when parking.
I will be more careful from now on.

A lesson well learnt.
acroback is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:35   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Encountered 2 instances of bad driving today!

2nd one was really dangerous, but I had predicted just that and had my foot hovering over the brake pedal!

Old 22nd December 2012, 21:45   #4811
Senior - BHPian

Words fail to describe this idiot!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2409868826.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 22:33   #4812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Words fail to describe this idiot!
Boy, you should have seen the moron I encountered in morning on whitefield Main Road. The tempo traveller idiot literally took a U turn by running over the wide separation between the two roads. How can such dangerous drivers roam so freely on roads. Taking U turn from a place where is no turn at all is not only dangerous for him, more for others because no goddamn expert driver can predict or guess that someone will jump the parting between the roads to take a U turn

Last edited by acroback : 22nd December 2012 at 22:35.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 03:12   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Encountered this today!

He rear ended me while we were standing still at a traffic light, with the light turned red!! And now overtaking from the left!

My rear bumper got scratched! Didn't even stop to say/gesture sorry etc!

Plates - DL3CBL9474

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-rear-ended-me.jpg
Old 24th December 2012, 20:12   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post

Boy, you should have seen the moron I encountered in morning on whitefield Main Road. The tempo traveller idiot literally took a U turn by running over the wide separation between the two roads. How can such dangerous drivers roam so freely on roads. Taking U turn from a place where is no turn at all is not only dangerous for him, more for others because no goddamn expert driver can predict or guess that someone will jump the parting between the roads to take a U turn
This is happening with increasing frequency these days. When the roads get paved over and over the medians height is relatively less and these morons just drive over it. To add to that they give you tough looks as though you are the one breaking the rules. The only option is to drive slow and predict the unpredictable
Old 25th December 2012, 00:41   #4815
BANNED

There are a million drivers here I have seen who just have no idea of how to negotiate a turn and rules that must be followed while doing so.

I have seen many cars that use the blinkers just a feet or two away from the median gap and turn causing a hard braking from the driver at the back and on the opposite direction. Ad while doing so they don't wait for the traffic to ease but cut through the traffic and drive as if all was normal and if tried questioning they look at you as if their one month salary was asked.

The other mistake they do is after negotiating a U-Turn they continue to drive in the 'Fast Lane' causing an irritation for the high spped drivers. No one understands the need to move away from the fast lane and drive in the slow lane.

Anurag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
My rear bumper got scratched! Didn't even stop to say/gesture sorry etc!

Plates - DL3CBL9474
Sorry to hear that buddy but theese drivers think they are right always and you are at fault so Why should I say sorry. Overtaking from any direction is always seen but if you do the same they get angry. How is the car now buddy and is the damage seen and repair cost??

Most Viewed