Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 15:18   #4921
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Really funny because the video is playing at prolly 8x or 16x the original frame rate.

Slow it down to the normal pace and then try playing it, all the fun would be lost!
Agreed. The video is titled "Time Lapse" That's why I call it funny. Put it in the normal mode, and I realise what I go through everyday
Old 9th January 2013, 17:49   #4922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I once asked a Merc driver whether he needs money to buy an ashtray. I was on an RX.....so it helped.

-- Torqy
Equally bad (or even worse) is to come across spitting, as i did today.

On Hosur road at jail road signal, a BBMP truck was stopped at the right most lane, watering the plants in the median. I was on my bike and the signal was red. so i slowly overtook this truck from the left and moved ahead crossing a maruti van which was stopped in front of the truck. just as i was about to pass the driver side window, this guy just spat out! since i was very slow, i could stop immediately and save myself. since he was stopped in front of a stationary truck i guess he dint expect anyone to come up that side i guess. he was apologetic and since i creeped up without honking or any indication, i just shook my head and moved on.

i have faced this (people spitting paan from buses) many times during my college days and this is something i absolutely dread while overtaking.
Old 9th January 2013, 20:20   #4923
BHPian

Today, I came across a driver who might me wishing to come across in this thread all the while if not featured before.

The scene, a circle with dense traffic of BEST busses. For people who know, this is near Mira Road station naya nagar circle. This is the place where normally no one follows going round the circle except for some good civillians. Today, there is dense traffic and a bus is taking a right going round the circle the right way. The traffic was a bit dense and the autowallas were not letting the bus pass resulting in a 2-3 car jam behind the bus. Surprisigly, all today were going round the circle behind the bus.

I was waiting to turn right at the circle and thats when a honda city guy comes behind from the queue behind the bus and tries to shortcut the circle blocking the both way traffic completely. Somehow, when I get near to him, I roll down the window and tell him abt following the circle. All I get back is a stare and the following statement: "what circle, this is mira road and there is no such rule here". This was followed by some un-mentionable words. Okay, you are not following the rules, but atleast don't make such statements.

No wonder why the traffic situation is getting all the more worse here.
Old 9th January 2013, 23:14   #4924
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Not an accident, but would like to share this incident which could have been quite nasty had the couple not been lucky.

I was trying to cross the road and at that point in time i was standing in front of Gunasheela Hospital, Basavanagudi. Just when i was about to cross, i saw a guy on a activa coming around armugham circle(localites can relate) at a high speed. So i stepped back.

When they came closer i was completely shocked to see them. They were a young couple and the lady was holding an infant with just one hand carelessly As i had mentioned, he was riding fast and he applied brakes while taking a turn and his vehicle skid. He must be one lucky man for there was no oncoming vehicle and he miraculously gained control and he moved on and was out of sight.

Had he not gained balance, i just cant think of the plight of the baby which would have fallen face on. Its very alarming to see such parents. This chap rides like he is the only guy on road while she holds on to the baby casually. Hope sanity prevails before it is too late.
Old 9th January 2013, 23:32   #4925
BHPian

I hate educated people who have zero sense of road laws. A moron in Karizma, looked like a IT Slogger(I am one, so do not get offended ) overtook me from my left. Now you will ask how is this bad on Indian roads?

1. I gave a left indicator like 30 feet before turning. I am turning and I have turned around 20% and this joker in his yellow Karizma cuts me from left to go *right*. I slammed brakes and dished out choicest of the words to moron, who would have been on road, had I not braked. The audacity of such law breakers is that despite being well educated have no civic sense. The idiot showed me finger for no mistake of mine.

I felt like raging but just gave him a finger back. I hate idiots on 2 wheelers who are hell bent on dying on roads.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 00:05   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I hate idiots on 2 wheelers who are hell bent on dying on roads.
To quote an oft deployed phrase by one of my professors from engineering school, this is a "most common error" you'll find from two-wheeler riders. They have absolutely no patience to wait/slow down to allow a car ahead turning left, which subsequently has to generally slow down in order to make that turn. The riders will invariably attempt to pass and cut across the vehicle from its left. More often that not, this happens in a jiffy and the hapless driver is left wondering what hit him/her!

One of my houses is on a busy two way street and there is a pretty sharp turn you need to make to get into the building gate. So I'm all too familiar with this rubbish - as a matter of fact this "pass from left and cut across" business is almost an everyday occurrence for me. The sheer number of morons just don't seem to end!

Now ultimately I have my own counter to this: turn on the left turn indicator almost 30-40 feet before the turn, closely watch the OVRMs all the way, bring the car to a dead stop before turning into the building, honk repeatedly, double-checking rear view mirrors (again) and then finally complete the maneuver. Easy as an apple pie huh!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 10th January 2013 at 00:12.
Old 10th January 2013, 00:19   #4927
Senior - BHPian

when i'm on the bike, i curse the bigger vehicles because they try to kill me.

when i'm driving the car, i curse the smaller vehicles because try to kill themselves in front of me.

it's a vicious circle
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 02:36   #4928
Distinguished - BHPian

Equally, pass on right, then cut across to left turn --- and if the car driver just happened to accelerate at that moment, the biker would be spread on the road.

Another thing, when overtaking, regardless of number of wheels: why overtake when just about to turn off anyway? Whatever is the point in that?
Quote:
I've no doubt that some of them do try. A motorbike is the most dangerous form of transport worldwide. But, knowing you here, I do doubt that you continually place the responsibility for staying alive in the hands of others.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th January 2013 at 02:39.
Old 10th January 2013, 07:14   #4929
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

We have a touching faith in our "Karma" and our "Guardian Angels" here in India - especially these loony biker boys.
We also have an equally touching faith that the "other chap" in the "oncoming or overtaking or other vehicle" is as infallible as all get out!
Last evening near Windsor Manor I saw a biker scoot away from the Windsor Manor side, towards the loop road that goes along the periphery of the golf course near the CM's residence etc. Just behind him a huge interstate bus which was probably heading to Kalasipalya, was forced to brake really hard and thus avoid hitting the fool biker.
All this drama is played out so un-concernedly in front of us every day that we, like Nero's guests, have become so terribly innured to any potential disaster.
This fact (belief in karma) plus an innate, extreme fecundity in the land, ensures that we will always hold life as a cheap replaceable commodity...
Old 10th January 2013, 09:36   #4930
Senior - BHPian

On my way to work this morning, I saw a Duker weaving in and out of traffic. I had spotted him in the IRVM and hoped to myself he wont scratch my vehicle or come under my wheels. My prayers were answered. But a cab driver 3 cars in front of me did not say this prayer. He was also trying to swerve right to overtake the car in front of him.

Duker overtook me from the right, by going onto the oncoming lane (4 lane road, no divider). Overtook the two other car between me and the cab.
Both the cab driver and the Duker then noticed that there was a diversion ahead towards the left. Some digging work for a flyover going on in the fast lane. Duker swerved to overtake cab from left. Cab driver swerved left. Screeching of brakes and crash!

I could not be bothered for such morons, and neither the guys ahead of me. So the rule abiding convoy switched on left indicators, overtook the Duker and cab from the left while they were still arguing about whose mistake it was!

I am wondering if there would be less accidents if power steering were taken away from cab drivers.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 09:58   #4931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
On my way to work this morning, I saw a Duker weaving in and out of traffic.
I believe I've seen this same Duker, or a like-minded one, multiple times on Pashan Road. Hope the cabbie beat some sense into his head.

Quote:
I am wondering if there would be less accidents if power steering were taken away from cab drivers.
I really wonder about the power-steering part. Yesterday's incident: I was, with two other engineers, in a Verito going from Bavdhan to Chinchwad and back.

Two accidents on the way and several near-misses, purely due to the cabbie's own retarded driving. When asked to slow down, he has the gall to say "A driver always drives according to his own skill and experience. I was blameless, it was the other guys' fault" after both accidents!

Some highlights of his vast and flawless portfolio of skill and experience:
Unsignalled turns, dead-halts in the fast lane to ask for directions, swerving lane-changes, braking that we would only perform under panic, very badly timed gearshifts, reversing while looking in front, taking gaps like a paan-spitting biker. While doing these stunts, he offhandedly mentions, "gaadi acchi hain, toh kaise bhi chalaa sakthein" [if you've got a good car, you can drive as you please"].

And I'm to take this route by cab (I'm not even an IT chap!!) almost every day now
Old 10th January 2013, 10:59   #4932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've no doubt that some of them do try. A motorbike is the most dangerous form of transport worldwide. But, knowing you here, I do doubt that you continually place the responsibility for staying alive in the hands of others.
Aw! Not fair! That was just one off

I'm a good boy you see! I stick to my lane, stop before the stop line at signals, don't honk unnecessarily, don't overtake from the left on single lane roads, wait for my turn (even though I'm getting cooked under the Nero) and so and an so forth
Old 10th January 2013, 11:08   #4933
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoops! Misunderstanding? I meant that you are a good driver, and do not expect others to look after you as so many bikers do.

You also have a good nature if you thought I meant the opposite, and are not shouting at me!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 11:08   #4934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But, knowing you here, I do doubt that you continually place the responsibility for staying alive in the hands of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Aw! Not fair! That was just one off..
H4wk, no offence but I think Thad means to say that you DO take the responsibility of staying alive, instead of leaving it to others
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 11:18   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

when i'm driving the car, i curse the smaller vehicles because try to kill themselves in front of me.

it's a vicious circle
To complete the circle, when I am walking I curse all vehicles as they try to kill pedestrians However life still goes on.
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed