Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2013, 12:55   #4951
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Came across this educated and learned moron today.
Last evening in Koramangala two vehicles broke the queue , jumped the divider and tried barging in on a left turn. They were squarely met by on coming traffic whom they were blocking and this caused a snarl for about 10-15 minutes. Of course they were roundly abused by all the oncoming drivers.

One perpetrator was a silly indicab with those typical, parochial, "son-of-the-soil" sort of stickers all over it -driven by one of those lumpen, uneducated, loudmouthed, potentially vicious cab drivers.

The other car, a blue estilo, had a youngish couple in it - obviously an educated, college degree holding, middle class, IT or service company employed type, complete with lanyards, dog tags et al.

Very sad when the educated working executive class of people also start behaving like this...

Today morning in the Post Office - the queue got jumped by two reasonably educated people. Without wishing to stereotype, both these queue jumper characters were from the Northern parts of India - possibly the lawless bits. I lost my temper with them and told them off - quite loudly in fact, in English. The post office staff, all of whom I have known personally for 8-9 years, sprang up on my side. Im happy for that.

But are things going to change? No they aren't. In general these fellows are all highly impatient, un-necessarily aggressive and come from backgrounds where things like etiquette, good manners etc are completely strange and alien concepts.

I suppose in their home environments, they are just allowed to grab and get theirs, whenever they want anything. This manifests itself in their behaviour in the world outside too. I am pretty sure they would not have learned common courtesy, civic sense and manners etc either, in their student years, in whichever hole in the ground they went to school in!

Forgive my venting my extreme displeasure here, but I cannot and will not abide this sort of crass behaviour regardless of who the perpetrator may be.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 12:57   #4952
BHPian

So this idiot lorry driver gave me this scratch for my gentle in lane driving.
What to do? :(
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20130111_110531.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20130111_112951.jpg  

Old 12th January 2013, 12:59   #4953
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
So this idiot lorry driver gave me this scratch for my gentle in lane driving.
What to do? :(
Sad. The only thing to do here in this blighted place is to grin and bear it.
Go and get it repaired and hope it does not happen again.

Sorry but there is absolutely no help for it as long as we are surrounded by the low-lifes that abound on the nations public roads...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 13:34   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
On a serious note, i like taking pictures and I have one or the other camera with me almost wherever I go.
Yes the classy LTD picture which TATA stole is undeniably proof enough.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th January 2013 at 13:36.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 14:16   #4955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One perpetrator was a silly indicab with those typical, parochial, "son-of-the-soil" sort of stickers all over it -driven by one of those lumpen, uneducated, loudmouthed, potentially vicious cab drivers.

The other car, a blue estilo, had a youngish couple in it - obviously an educated, college degree holding, middle class, IT or service company employed type, complete with lanyards, dog tags et al.

Very sad when the educated working executive class of people also start behaving like this...
Culture and education are different things isn't it?
My point of view the educated and uncultured lot is to be despised more because they are enabled to know better but still choose to be a pain to society. The semi-educated ones atleast have an excuse that they know no better.

On a daily basis I see "educated types" - yaking away on their phones/handsfree trying occupy every available nook and cranny in the road by driving like monkeys! With nary a thought to others on the road. Some exhibit such gross lack of foresight/risk assessment that makes me wonder what kind of work these people do (professionally I mean)!

Case in point - yesterday evening on the electronics city main road leading to the expressway. There was a pile up on one lane, and there is this line of vehicles including a cement mixer truck waiting patiently for it to get cleared up. Then there comes this green Beat with 2 educated types, who choose to circumvent the queue, by travelling on the opposite lane, this, inspite of seeing a BMTC bus in the opposite lane 20-30 meters away!
Then, they make an unsuccessful attempt to nudge back into the correct lane and ends up blocking both lanes and causes a gridlock for 5 minutes. And during this duration the bugger is having an animated discussion with his buddy - no hint of remorse. Hand gestures from others were either went unseen or he was too thick skinned to react.
Old 12th January 2013, 14:36   #4956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The third lot is, you don't believe are School Buses. These yellow buses have turned to be another nightmare in the mornings with their exploits.
Oh yes, saw quite a lot of those adventurous school buses during the morning drive from Edapally to Chottanikara temple. They just emerge from the pocket roads, completely not bothered of the oncoming traffic.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 15:13   #4957
BHPian

I left office at around 1:00 AM yesterday.

Some signals were working. So I stopped on red despite no traffic around. The moment signal turned green I inched forward carefull. Voila, a taxi cab retard came breaking his signal at 80. I had to break hard to avoid a side on collision. Such people make me wonder, when is the time to actually drive safely our cars? :(
Old 12th January 2013, 15:39   #4958
BHPian

OT: How come it's always someone else's mistake if a Bhpian is involved in a bang up?
engrohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 15:42   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
OT: How come it's always someone else's mistake if a Bhpian is involved in a bang up?
Not always I guess.
Perhaps more so as lot of people here follow traffic rules and discipline which look odd to general traffic public.
Old 12th January 2013, 16:21   #4960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Culture and education are different things isn't it?
the road by driving like monkeys! With nary a thought to others on the road. Some exhibit such gross lack of foresight/risk assessment that makes me wonder what kind of work these people do (professionally I mean)!

Case in point - yesterday evening on the electronics city main road leading to the expressway. There was a pile up on one lane, and there is this line of vehicles including a cement mixer !
Then, they make an unsuccessful attempt to nudge back into the correct lane and ends up blocking both lanes and causes a gridlock for 5 minutes. And during this duration the bugger is having an animated discussion with his buddy - no hint of remorse. Hand gestures from others were either went unseen or he was too thick skinned to react.
Photos of such erring cars should be emblazoned on every internet forum and intranets in every company in every city! All our cars should have camera guns mounted on with easy controls on the steering wheel, so we can photograph these transgressors easily.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:56   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mostly, the active members here are sensible drivers, and mostly follow rules. And the few times that we are silly enough to make a mistake, one of 2 things happen:
1. We publicly admit it (leading to some "you should not have ..." type posts, and then we all forgive and forget)
2. We just don't post it here
Old 13th January 2013, 00:33   #4962
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if my post offends anyone owning these cars but why is it that almost all the Maruti Swift and Dzire guys drive as if their back is on fire or they will get some multi million reward if they go fast. The case goes even bad if these guys are driving the diesel version, they cut lanes, keep zigzagging and what not. Just zero respect for other road users.

Am not saying that others dont drive rashly, even Taxi Innova walas drive like that but with Swift and Dzire i have seen almost every single owner drive like a maniac, guy in a Swift almost rear ended me yesterday night, if i hadn't turned my Vento towards right, he would have straight away rammed into me. He was driving as if all others cars are invisible to him.

With that i was thinking, how peppy the engine is or what kind of a driving position Swift has , i dont think even with my diesel Vento i can ever challenge them, not that i want to.
Old 13th January 2013, 06:45   #4963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: How come it's always someone else's mistake?
Not necessarily, there are many instances of TBhpians admitting their mistakes znd I have come across many such posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Such people make me wonder, when is the time to actually drive safely our cars? :(
No chance sooner or later. Probably it would come when all cars become self drive ones
Old 13th January 2013, 08:21   #4964
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a moron in a Nano driving on the wrong side (with a big smile on his face!) on Dickenson Road yesterday evening - probably after a visit to one of the big jewellery stores there. He also had a 2 wheeler for company who was acting like a pilot riding in front of the Nano
Luckily for these guys traffic was surprisngly sparse around 9:10pm and no cops around the place so they could make a left turn at Dhobi ghat and proceed towards Gangadhara Chetty Road (RBANMS college, Tiruvalluvar statue).
Old 13th January 2013, 12:53   #4965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Sorry if my post offends anyone owning these cars but why is it that almost all the Maruti Swift and Dzire guys drive as if their back is on fire or they will get some multi million reward if they go fast. The case goes even bad if these guys are driving the diesel version, they cut lanes, keep zigzagging and what not. Just zero respect for other road users.
You might be feeling this way due to the high number of Swift/Dzire on the road. Both sell around 15K each per month and hence there is a high chance of seeing a rash driver on Swift/Dzire. Obviously the diesel version dominates.

I have a similar feeling towards i20 especially white colored ones, not sure why though?!
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed