Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 13:27   #5071
NMS
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

OK, Have seen quite a few Bad Drivers, but today i saw something for the first time, A lady was driving while applying Lipstick !! On a busy road, during peak traffic hours !!
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 13:51   #5072
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning in my office parking, I almost got rammed by a bad driver. We have two parallel swipe in machines at the entrance of the parking lot which merge into a single lane leading to the ramp. The generally accepted (and followed) protocol is the guy who swipes in first gets right of way.

So today while I reached the entrance I finished swiping and checked- this guy in a Santro was still fishing for his ID, so I started off. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw him take off and instinctively (and thankfully) I braked immediately. The guy cut me off and took the ramp, leaving me seething. I just sped up the ramp right at his tail and could see him giving nervous glances in the RVM. Maintained the closest of distances all the way up 7 floors on the ramp at which point he exited and I zoomed up another level to park. Gave him the finger too as we parted- hope he saw it.

This is what I hate about bad drivers. They beget more more drivers. In this case, me.
Old 30th January 2013, 14:29   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This morning in my office parking, I almost got rammed by a bad driver.
For a moment, I thought you worked at the same place I do.

An incident occurred yesterday where a chauffeured Audi rammed a Polo head-on on the downramp in our office basement. Apparently the Audi was being driven very rashly. Polo was crawling up the slope when the Audi appeared around the bend. Lots of radiator and headlamp carnage resulted.
Old 30th January 2013, 14:32   #5074
BHPian

Had my share of bad drive spotting again.

Regular commuters on the BWSL will know that during morning hours (around 8 AM) there is a shift change leading to a slightly longer queues on the south bound toll booth. More often than not, 4 lanes are open out of 7. One for e-toll, one for VIPs and one opens perhaps a little later.

Almost all motorists were queued up in their respective lanes, barring a blue Fiat Punto who decides that he (being gods gift to man) shouldn't wait in queue and positions himself on the 5th lane (which was closed) eagerly trying to cut across into the 4th lane and jump the queue.

All this bravado earned him was expletives and glares from motorist who were rightfully in the queue. Seeing the restless soul trying desperate to squeeze in, a cop jumped in and gave him a mouthful, made him reverse and go right back to join the queue, which by then had stretched to quite a distance.

Serves you right punto boy. Kudos to the cop too for jumping in at the right time before things went out of hand.
arup.misra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 15:43   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
the guy gestures at me with his hand as if to indicate i'm the moron for not giving him way immediately.
The one thing I always do is never look at the other driver come what may. Only look at their vehicles. They may be doing a lot of circus aimed at us but I don't care.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:22   #5076
BHPian

My Nincompoop neighbor scratched my Swift's left front fender. I have no proof of this nor have I seen him in the act, but I know for sure he has done it because of the red paint marks on the fender.
Every time I park my car, I walk around my car to check for new dings or scratches. Last night when I parked the car, it was intact and this morning when I see in my office parking lot - a big scratch with a shallow dent on the shiny black fender with red marks (He drives a red polo). I have not gone up to him to confront as I have no proof so I'm trying to let it go with a sad heart. I cannot even point out to his front bumper for scratch marks as there a zillion scrapes and chips on both his bumpers.

He basically has this monstrous way of driving in and out of the apartment's ramp and parking space. I have seen him once before brush past a brand new i10 without even stopping to apologize to the owner. The driver of the i10 who was walking towards his car was totally clueless and shocked and drove away before I could share the driver details.
Old 30th January 2013, 17:03   #5077
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
My Nincompoop neighbor scratched my Swift's left front fender. I have no proof of this nor have I seen him in the act, but I know for sure he has done it because of the red paint marks on the fender.
Sorry to hear that. It pains to see sratches on our spotless rides because of stupidity of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
... I cannot even point out to his front bumper for scratch marks as there a zillion scrapes and chips on both his bumpers.

He basically has this monstrous way of driving in and out of the apartment's ramp and parking space. I have seen him once before brush past a brand new i10 without even stopping to apologize to the owner...
Licenses should be revoked for such drivers. The only things they should be allowed to drive are the dashing cars at the amusement park.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:01   #5078
BHPian

Was hearing FM radio today morning when i heard a news that a car and ambulance collided. The driver and patient in the ambulance died on the spot. I guess this guy would have suddenly crossed the path of ambulance.

MODS: Please remove this post if this is not the right place

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 31st January 2013 at 15:25.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:28   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening I was travelling from Ashram Crossing towards Apollo, when I heard sirens of Ambulance which were behind me but some distance (& cars) in between. I almost immediately (upon getting an opportunity) moved to the left behind a DTC bus, to pave way to the Ambulance (& there were 2 in tow). But, to my astonishment there were lesser humans who decided to seize he opportunity to change lanes to remain ahead of the 2 ambulances, as they would get the space immediately. Result, I could move much ahead of the 2 ambulances without any rash driving or honking or anything, but hogging the left lane to let them go ahead, & the patients had to suffer.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 19:31   #5080
BHPian

So Mr Biker was behind me for a while. There was a red light on which the left is free but there isn't a diversion. You ought to keep on the extreme left and complete the turn. I see he's behind me so I start to complete the turn and then he honks overtakes from the left (riding on the drain) cuts across to the right and halts. I cannot even count how often bikers have done this to me. I've always seen them coming though but this one caught be by surprise. I rolled down the window and asked him if he didn't see the indicator. He gives me a puzzled look and says "Kya ho gaya? Gaadi chalani nahi aati?".

I officially give up. I always give bikes the right of way and since they like overtaking from the left, if I am driving on the left most lane I leave enough space for them to pass through. I except a little bit of courtesy when I am taking blind incline turns or turning left or right but I guess I am asking for too much.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 20:11   #5081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I always give bikes the right of way and since they like overtaking from the left, if I am driving on the left most lane I leave enough space for them to pass through.
Hehe I think this is what you are doing wrong.
Hug the left side of the road as much as you can so that there isn't enough space for two wheelers to squeeze through. It only means going a little further before you start turning left and the left turn will have to be a hard left if space is at a premium in the front. But this way, at least you'll be saving some two wheelers from themselves.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 20:54   #5082
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hug the left side of the road as much as you can so that there isn't enough space for two wheelers to squeeze through. It only means going a little further before you start turning left and the left turn will have to be a hard left if space is at a premium in the front. But this way, at least you'll be saving some two wheelers from themselves.
Perfect! Even I do this when I am in the leftmost or the rightmost lane in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I leave a gap which is not more than the narrowest vehicle possible in that scenario. So if its a bicycle, I inch closer to the divider or the curb. Its not about 'blocking' someone. Its about "If I am in the leftmost lane in a traffic jam, you can not create another lane on my left side".
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 21:10   #5083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Perfect! Even I do this when I am in the leftmost or the rightmost lane in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I leave a gap which is not more than the narrowest vehicle possible in that scenario.
That works mostly. I used to do this on the flyover above the IIT gate in Chennai. It is a two way bridge with one lane going each ways and there would often be two wheeler drivers trying to squeeze on your left leaving you with no maneuver room on the left when some stupid bus or auto overtakes in the oncoming lane. However, if the idiot in the bike is a total moron, and decides to drive on drain covers and footpath etc., there ain't much you can do after that but to surrender to the stupidity.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:23   #5084
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
That works mostly. I used to do this on the flyover above the IIT gate in Chennai. It is a two way bridge with one lane going each ways and there would often be two wheeler drivers trying to squeeze on your left leaving you with no maneuver room on the left when some stupid bus or auto overtakes in the oncoming lane. However, if the idiot in the bike is a total moron, and decides to drive on drain covers and footpath etc., there ain't much you can do after that but to surrender to the stupidity.
As I said, its not about blocking them or even teaching them how to drive. If they want to drive on the footpath, we can't help it. As long as they do it keeping at least a couple of inches between your car and their mirrors, there is no problem.

I have a nasty dent on my Alto's front fender when a truck kissed a moving scooter and the scooter leaned against my car. Surprisingly, I was happy that the guy on the scooter or his wife did not end up under the truck's tyres or under my car. Felt bad about the car once I reached home and saw the dent.
Old 1st February 2013, 23:59   #5085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Perfect! Even I do this when I am in the leftmost or the rightmost lane in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I leave a gap which is not more than the narrowest vehicle possible in that scenario. So if its a bicycle, I inch closer to the divider or the curb. Its not about 'blocking' someone. Its about "If I am in the leftmost lane in a traffic jam, you can not create another lane on my left side".
Thanks guys. I have tried what you're suggesting and in doing so I have almost suffered heart attacks. If I block the left most lane in a traffic jam suddenly I have 'Gangs of New Delhi' all around my vehicle like a mob trying to demolish the barrier ahead. Before I know it 10% of the bike has crossed my rear wheel and now he's creeping up ahead and braking each time he fails. His fellow revolutionary behind him will now creep on his right and with every stop rest his wheel on my bumper. At the same time he will nudge the guy trying his best to ride my wheel to move ahead and from two they become five and then a dozen. With my cocktail green Beat in panic mode I have two options, stick to my lane minus my mirror and a bit of paint or to give way and live another day to contribute to this thread.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks