Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 22:18   #5296
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em?

They appear in your rearview mirror, fast approaching towards you and then dhadaam!

Happened with me today.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:46   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em?

They appear in your rearview mirror, fast approaching towards you and then dhadaam!

Happened with me today.
With that dhadaam, I hope the XUV has not suffered any damage.
What exactly happened?
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 22:59   #5298
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
With that dhadaam, I hope the XUV has not suffered any damage.
What exactly happened?
Was in Thane on a personal commitment. Congested roads, so took the Alto instead. While driving on one of the arterial roads, was doing 20-30kmph with occassional slowing down. At one point of time, while I came to a complete halt nice and easy, the guy in the WagonR behind me got distracted with something .

The bumper took most of the impact. Couple of clips are broken. The hatch door has a few kissing marks, should go away with a rubbing compound. There is a new sound from the car. Not sure if something else has loosened/broken. Would show it to the garage later this week.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 23:04   #5299
Senior - BHPian

This happened on Election Day in Bangalore which was on Sunday last.
As we all know on an election day, there are self proclaimed emergency drivers who drive vehicles on Election duty which have a sticker on the windshield mentioning the same.
These cars are more important than an emergency vehicle like a Fire truck or an ambulance, atleast in Bangalore. Even if they have a number plate with a green plate or strip on it, it has the right to even run over others.

Being a Sunday , the roads were quite empty except Madiwala market which is always crowded. Those familiar with this road, the market is half onto the road which leads to Koramangala. So there is only a narrow right lane which can be used by vehicles that go in a single file. The road is divided and the oppostie lane has a bus stop , that is equally crowded.

So, I take the right at Total mall coming from Silk Board and the entry to the road is quite broad with the entrance/exit of Total Mall on the left and some accident vehicles being parked at times. Soon after this , the road narrows down to a single line due to the market. I reached this point and I am on the right lane with the divider next to me and enough space for another car on my left.
This is when I see a Govt vehicle with the Election Duty paper stuck on its windshield taking a U turn on a divided road onto the oncoming traffic. There was a middle aged lady and man in the back seat and a hero of a driver reversing to complete the U turn and ends up facing my car and has the audacity to ask me to cut to my left so he can continue his senseless turn and carry on in the wrong lane.
I was intitially blank for a while thinking what the hell is happening and if I am actually facing the right direction.
I ask him to move to my left with my hand and he gestures saying he is not going to. So what do I do, shift to neutral,pull up my handbrake and crank up the volume and just wait. By now, there is a small jam behind me, and the more he waits, the more he is going to get into trouble because few cars that were passing him on my left were asking him to move.
Almost after a minute or two, he had no choice and turns in so fast close to my front bumper,so as to scare me and ends up again being blocked by the car next to me. By then , the rear window of his car was next to my passenger window, and I ask the official to talk some sense to his driver and I move on.

All this only because the driver thinks he is driving a Govt vehicle and need not take the U turn a 100 meters ahead and instead thinks he can take a U turn and goes on the opposite lane with the officials inside not uttering one word to the driver.

I had just voted in the morning, and felt why did I even bother, after this.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 08:52   #5300
BHPian

I feel so sorry to see traffic condition in our country. Last time I went to Agra, while driving to a small town, there was a railway crossing and we were waiting for train to pass. I queued up there and was waiting. Train passed, gate still closed. Another train passed, gate still closed. It was 2 PM. It was enough for people to get restless to limits and they started overtaking from behind and block the incoming lane as well. Same story on the other side of the crossing as well. Finally gate opened after 45 minutes. Everyone rushed to the gate as if they would die if they dont cross within 5 minutes. Guess what, I could finally cross it when police arrived somehow and reached my destination at 10:30 which was 6 KMs from this railway crossing.

What is happening to people's brains? Is this that difficult to understand that the thing you are driving is a bloody road vehicle and not a dreamliner which can fly!
Old 8th May 2013, 10:30   #5301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post

What is happening to people's brains? Is this that difficult to understand that the thing you are driving is a bloody road vehicle and not a dreamliner which can fly!
The case is same everywhere. I do stay near a railway cross and I have to cross the railway gate at least twice a day. It really worth to watch the chaos in the gate while its closed. People take out their bikes and cycles by making it parallel to the gate, pedatrians crossing the gate even if the train is just 100 mtr away. That even with talking some over phone.. Another bunch of morons keep on honking to open the gate.

Only God can save these people.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:00   #5302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
The case is same everywhere. I do stay near a railway cross and I have to cross the railway gate at least twice a day. It really worth to watch the chaos in the gate while its closed. People take out their bikes and cycles by making it parallel to the gate, pedatrians crossing the gate even if the train is just 100 mtr away. That even with talking some over phone.. Another bunch of morons keep on honking to open the gate.

Only God can save these people.
Haha very true. I sometime enjoy the scene when I am not in a hurry. There is always a high probability few of them would get into a fight and take out frustration on each other. Pain is when you are in hurry and unnecessary delay because of this.

When I first came to Singapore, my very first day, I was having breakfast in hotel. On FM radia they were announcing the traffic update - "There is a heavy traffic in lane 3 from Nicole Highway to ECP expressway". I couldnt believe that traffic update can be "lane" level. Whereas I was use to not only road but include payments and nearby streets as well when it comes to traffic :-)

I can only hope if things become better in future in India.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:43   #5303
BHPian

Never thought I'll be posting about myself on this thread.

Had a close call last week because of not paying full attention and also because of a biker not indicating or looking before changing lanes on the flyover. Basically we were both equally at fault.

I was out on a late night drive with 2 friends and we were heading to a 'dhaaba' for a cup of tea. The 3 of us were chatting and joking in the car as we climbed on to the flyover. The flyover was almost totally empty barring a truck and a biker tailing the truck, both in the left lane, (I was in the right lane). Foolishly I had been going a bit too fast since the flyover was empty.

As I neared the two other vehicles, I honked to make my presence known and subsequently pass them. As I was passing the biker, he decided to switch lanes right when I was beside him(without checking or indicating)!! He must have missed my rear-left door by inches, and I couldn't even do anything to avoid him.

Once we got off the flyover and were waiting at the traffic lights, the same biker came and parked in front of my car; blocking my way. He came and knocked on my window asking if I was drunk and why did I pass him the way I did? In return, I asked him why had he suddenly changed lanes without checking or indicating. Thankfully he seemed like a decent person and neither of us were shouting or swearing at each other. I could make out that he was a little shaken (understandable), and so was I.

On a lighter note, he thought I was an under-age driver. Though I am 22, I look much younger (not complaining really). The biker asked me if I had a DL, which I showed him while covering my name and address. In the end we apologised to each other and went on our way.

Lesson learnt, I will now be extra cautious around bikers while overtaking and will refrain from going fast needlessly. I felt really bad having caused a near-miss with the poor chap. I thanked god that we all came out of this unharmed since it could have ended very badly. Looking back, he had almost nil protection (he was wearing a helmet) around him while I was in my car.

So he was a bad driver for not checking his mirrors nor indicating before changing lanes. And I was a bad driver for speeding and not paying enough attention.

Cheers and drive safe!
fordfreak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 12:18   #5304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Never thought I'll be posting about myself on this thread.

Basically we were both equally at fault.
Nice Fordfreak. Not easy to confess this in a public forum, esp when you are just 22. I hope & wish you safe & joyful lacs of miles ahead in life.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 14:44   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
Haha very true.

I can only hope if things become better in future in India.
The irony is those who are in such hurry, after doing all these non sense will be wasting their time in the next juction by chit chatting. If they were not in real hurry, why to put their life in danger..?
Old 9th May 2013, 07:24   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
It was reported that the actor later explained and convinced the policemen that they were DRLs and he cannot switch it off. I find it difficult to understand that why the police never noticed the DRLs on any other car, till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
By any case, is it illegal to drive with headlamps on in broad daylight?
The car appears to be a Duster and Dusters are not equipped with DRLs which always remain On.
Old 9th May 2013, 08:06   #5307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The car appears to be a Duster and Dusters are not equipped with DRLs which always remain On.
The car is a BMW X3. More discussion on this topic here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3116430
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 09:14   #5308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
As mentioned by vb-san below, the car was indeed an X3 and not a Duster. Manorama, as usual, seems to gulp down certain crucial bits before reporting news like these. It was mentioned as a BMW in Mathrubhumi (Bangalore Edition). That is the reason why I wondered if the police never noticed the DRL's in a place where the X3, X5 etc are are not a rare sight at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The car is a BMW X3. More discussion on this topic here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3116430
Thanks for the link vb-san.
A350XWB is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 09:30   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
So he was a bad driver for not checking his mirrors nor indicating before changing lanes. And I was a bad driver for speeding and not paying enough attention.
Kudos to you for handling the situation with a level head; it reflects the kind of person you are. Else usually at this age one's ego can escalate the situation from bad to worse very quickly!

Like Saket77 said, it ain't easy to understand and accept one's mistake, specially on a public forum.

Drive safe.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 23:41   #5310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The car is a BMW X3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The car was indeed an X3 and not a Duster. ...why I wondered if the police never noticed the DRL's in a place where the X3, X5 etc are are not a rare sight at all.
Somehow I got an impression that it was a Duster.
But why BMW is retaining the DRL with an always ON function in India is not quite clear. It is OK in Scandinavian countries and from 2011 in Europe too, where DRLs are mandatory.
As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

Another interesting aspect is that the cione actor was not charged for overspeeding. Why? Simple, in which case the Ministers car also need to be booked for the same offense.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th May 2013 at 23:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks