Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 17:47   #5326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Classic example of bad-drivers teaching others and thereby increasing the overall bad-driver population on our roads!
While in Pune, I noticed parents taking children to school in mornings. Parents used to break all possible traffic rules; jumping traffic signals, talking on phone while driving, no seat belts/helmet, etc. Parents are bad like this and schools are not far behind. What example are they setting to the next generation? As I read somewhere, our country is functioning because of Crores of gods we have!
Old 19th May 2013, 12:50   #5327
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Got this video from Facebook.
Another example of people trying stunts on public roads and ending up in a bad state.
If the biker behind would not have steered, it would have turned ghastly.

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?...58965520793117

Mods, I am not sure how to embedd this vid correctly as it is not from youtube.
If in-appropriate here or you think it would not be possible to embedd it on the forum, kindly delete it. Thanks!

Source
Old 21st May 2013, 13:04   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
was taking a u-turn after SAP Labs this morning and as i'm about to complete my turn i find this idiot coming right at me! he was trying to take a shortcut by driving on the wrong side and get to the other side of the road instead of going ahead and taking a u-turn in front of SAP Labs.
Oh looky! I found another donkey's relative trying the same stunt at the same place; this time though, the headlights are on

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image2342156083.jpg

This is a Sony company cab; anybody working at Sony wanna take this up with the management?
Old 21st May 2013, 14:43   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Oh looky! I found another donkey's relative trying the same stunt at the same place; this time though, the headlights are on

Attachment 1086070

This is a Sony company cab; anybody working at Sony wanna take this up with the management?

Hawkie - Someone is surely tracking and harassing you. LOL

By the way, here is a pic from last evening. Circus near SilkBoard signal. Start count - 1-2-3-4-5 !!!
Note: I understand that the person may not be financially strong to afford a car for his family. But hopping into a town bus, or atleast an auto would have made his and his family's life safer. I wonder what those kids are learning. Couple of years down the line, I expect those kids doing tripling on bikes.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130520_174546.jpg
Old 21st May 2013, 14:53   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I spot a bad driver while looking into the mirror. Not intentional though. Driving conditions in our country contributed by other morons on road, forcefully makes us drive the way we never want to.

Just a very recent example is. I was driving down a curve with blindspot yesterday. I literally honked twice knowing some chaps would come from nowhere. Just in the brim of the curve, a lorry wallah came almost wrong side with no space left for me to cross him. No space on my left as it was a hilly terrain and I had to apply brakes with full efforts steeering to maximum left. Had a narrow escape from a direct collision. Sad part is a chap with his lady on his bikes back could not balance such a sudden stop in a downhill and almost fell into the bushes. Poor chap from his annoy yelled at me but I could not do anything else than a sorry face.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:22   #5331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sad part is a chap with his lady on his bikes back could not balance such a sudden stop in a downhill and almost fell into the bushes. Poor chap...
Was he behind you? Without having room to stop? If so, then not a poor chap at all, but a typical example of a bad driver. Unfortunately, his grazes probably won't teach him much, and his lady won't have the knowledge to scold him effectively about driving too close.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 15:29   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Was he behind you? Without having room to stop? If so, then not a poor chap at all, but a typical example of a bad driver. Unfortunately, his grazes probably won't teach him much, and his lady won't have the knowledge to scold him effectively about driving too close.
Yes. He was behind me.

I was so scared and quite embarrassed at the lorry driver which made me not complain the biker. And he was not driving so fast and also I do not recollect seeing him close in my mirror. May be the downhill coupled with curves would have defeated his calculations. It could have been a worser situation if something had happened to them.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:46   #5333
Senior - BHPian

I spotted 2 different but equally moronic women, both driving hatchbacks on the Jogeshwari Vikhroli link road today, from their attire both looked welloff professionals on their way to work. Very similar behaviour, both were holding on to their cellphones with one hand, texting I believe, and driving with the other, all this in peak our traffic. When one moronic lady was waiting in traffic, she put her RVM to good use, to touch up her lips :P
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:37   #5334
BHPian

Today I saw a lady driver today at a railway gate near my residence. Some how all four wheelers were trying to keep the lane discipline. But bikers were continuing their daily routine of jumping the lane and getting accumulated at gate. The gate is located at a sharp turn and mine was the third car in the queue. Around ten vehicles were waiting behind me and all of sudden a lady aproached the gate and parked her car beside the second car. So now her car which is on the second lane has the company of all bikers who were in hurry and parked the second and the only remaining lane.

Few minutes later, the trains passed and gate opened and now the drama starts. All bikers from the other side of the gate rushed towards the lane in which the lady has parked her car. They can not move an inch due to her car and the cars in the left lanes were not allowing her to enter their lane. It was a fun watching the lady inside the car and as it was peak time, it resulted in a huge pile up of vehicles.

Later the railway gate keeper stepped out and cleared the traffic. To my surprise the car was found again parked few minutes away from the gate (after crossing) and the driver sitting inside. I fail to understand, if she wanted to wait for someone, what was the hurry to cross the gate in this way..?
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:57   #5335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Later the railway gate keeper stepped out and cleared the traffic. To my surprise the car was found again parked few minutes away from the gate (after crossing) and the driver sitting inside. I fail to understand, if she wanted to wait for someone, what was the hurry to cross the gate in this way..?
of course this is an example of bad driving. Myself too, though un-knowlingly had been a bad driver at a railway crossing.

We were visiting vapi for the very first time and were relying completly on the GPS for directions. We wanted to go to the NH8 from the west and had set the co-ordinates accordingly.

Being led by the GPS on the small roads around the town, we see a half built road(un-divided single lane) where all the trucks were waiting at the left side. Thinking that it might be some octroi check-post, we overtook the trucks and went ahead. Going a little bit ahead we saw a jeep waiting in the line as well. Confused, we were wondering what a jeep is doing in this line.

A bit more ahead and we see that all the vehicles were waiting for a railway crossing with the gates closed. Here we were struck in the wrong lane just in front of the gate. Just at that moment, the gates opened and the bikes from opposite side charged towards us leaving us no-where to go. Just then, there was a small area on the right which was a little off-roading for hatchbacks. Having no choice, decided to take the plunge and wait there till the lane cleared. As the gates closed again, we got up to the road and a good trucker allowed us in the lane or we would have to go all the way back.

A little embarassed at what we had just done, we had a good laugh about the situation. This taught me never to blindly follow GPS.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:10   #5336
BHPian

Another thing I have noticed, with increasing regularity nowadays is parents allowing their children to sit and / or stand in the front seats of their cars and at times on the lap of the person sitting on the front passenger seat.

I have had a personal experience of an adult flying into the dashboard on emergency braking - can't imagine what will happen to a child! Or equally worse if an Air-Bag deploys!
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:17   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Today's edition of the Malayalam daily, Malayala Manorama carried a news item about a young Malayalam cine star getting held up by the Police for following a Minister's car with the headlights on. It was reported that the actor was once warned and asked to switch off the headlamps but as he repeated the offense he was taken to the Police Station from where he was let off afterwards.
The anti climax was when the actor informed that it was only the DRL which was on and not the headlamp.
That shows us that even after so long our traffic cops all over the nation are not aware of DLR remaining ON at all times when the car is moving,even during daytime.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:21   #5338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
A little embarassed at what we had just done, we had a good laugh about the situation. This taught me never to blindly follow GPS.
Slightly off topic. Wanted to share similar experience of GPS. Last Sunday I had to visit a company in Talegaon. It was an urgent call. I was going there for the first time and in hurry, so I took help of my Nokia Lumia's navigator. I was travelling from Pune City to Talegaon and while going to the company I blindly followed the instructions of the system and it guided me to reach the spot correctly. But the route was not very smooth and I was very sure that there could be an alternate and much better route.

After the meeting, I asked my host about the route he guided me with a much more smooth route and it saved my approximately 15 minutes and hectic driving through village roads..

So I have decided to make cross checks the routes while taking guidance of GPS.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:48   #5339
BHPian

In my opinion two wheeler riders especially younger ones are the worst threat on roads.Overtaking from left when the road is narrow poses another danger in my city .I find women pedestrians also a hazard where i reside.The public transport and tipper lorries have accounted for a majority of accidents here.Altogether the roads are not at all a safe place to be in.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:58   #5340
BHPian

Spotted a White Figo in GST Chennai was lane severing from right to the left lane and it almost crashed with a Chevy Sail which was in the right lane the whole time. I guess he was not paying attention to the vehicle on the right side. And the Figo had a TBhp live to drive sticker.

Most Viewed