Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 10:29   #5356
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday I was driving from Angamaly to Kottayam and Keralites know what a busy high-way it is. One gentleman on bike overtook me with greater difficulty negotiating dangerously with vehicles from other side. I decided to let him go rather than seeing him bleeding on road.

And you know what?

This guy slowed down suddenly in the mid of the road. Nodding his head up and down riding @ 20kmph in the middle and traffic piling up from behind. I slightly lost patience after few minutes and overtook him in an open gap to see the shock of my life.

He was reading and responding some SMS or FB or Tweet while riding on a busy highway
Old 27th May 2013, 11:00   #5357
Senior - BHPian

See what this guy is doing, he has kept the sunroof open and allowed hs son to stick his head and neck out. Moreover this guy cut across from left at some speed on the busy Ernakulam bypass road.and I noticed some object atop the car and hey this is what I saw. I clicked him at the next signal. A very very dangerous thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddie.jpg  

Old 27th May 2013, 11:37   #5358
BHPian

Today came across a couple in their 20s, who converted a highway (Old Mumbai-Pune highway) to a garden/park. They were on an Tata Indica with hubby on wheel and wify on co-passenger seat heading towards Mumbai . Both of them were romancing on road while driving their car on middle of two lanes (I don't want to narrate their acts). Normally I don't honk much, but today I had honk but of no use. They made 2-3 vehicles (including mine) to follow them from Nashik Phata to Bhakti Shakti Chowk. I had to take turn from there so don't know what happened after that.

How pathetic our drivers are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
See what this guy is doing, he has kept the sunroof open and allowed hs son to stick his head and neck out.
Exhibitionism at it's best. He will learn a lesson only after facing some accident. Probably he may be a budding politician.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2013 at 12:31.
Old 27th May 2013, 18:45   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
hubby on wheel and wify on co-passenger seat
On a lighter note, How did you conclude that they are "hubby and wify" , I doubt it for the kind of act they were demonstrating
Old 28th May 2013, 10:48   #5360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See what this guy is doing, he has kept the sunroof open and allowed hs son to stick his head and neck out. A very very dangerous thing to do.
Rajeev - I have noticed this many times by now. Once in Bangalore, Commercial street found two very small kids stciking out from a Cruze through sunroof grabbing everyones attention but then it did not look that dangerous as only their heads were visible outside.

Very recently saw in Kochi MG Road also, a small boy was jumping with joy enjoying the lighted street at night from a white Skoda. I think he was standing on the arm rest of the front seats as he was almost exposed out till waist. Very dangerous act I would say from a moving vehicle. A sudden brake should be enough to throw him out.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:33   #5361
BHPian

The junction near the besant nagar cozzee is a chaos always. You can see people driving fast near that jucntion eventhough there a lot of people crossing.

Last week i was crossing the junction when i saw a hummer approaching. I was almost halfway through so i thought he would stop(I also showed my hands to stop). But he kept on coming flashing the headlights. He came so close to me and honked. I looked back and stared at him, i dont know if he noticed that. Anyways i was happy that i made him at least slow down and i crossed before he moved.

I dont how these educated morons are driving. Having a hummer doesnt mean that he owns the road. This hummer had dark tints, fancy number plates and the traffic cops were just watching this hummer passby everytime. Earlier when this hummer was parked near the KFC i saw 3 or 4 girls inside. Any idea who owns a hummer in chennai?

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 30th May 2013 at 10:41.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:43   #5362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Rajeev - I have noticed this many times by now. Once in Bangalore, Commercial street found two very small kids stciking out from a Cruze through sunroof grabbing everyones attention but then it did not look that dangerous as only their heads were visible outside.

Very recently saw in Kochi MG Road also, a small boy was jumping with joy enjoying the lighted street at night from a white Skoda. I think he was standing on the arm rest of the front seats as he was almost exposed out till waist. Very dangerous act I would say from a moving vehicle. A sudden brake should be enough to throw him out.
IN such cases, I just wonder what if the car had to be braked hard. Whether its the head only or half body, the metal pieces can pierce you if braked hard. Nevertheless, sun roofs aren't meant for passengers to peek out of their cars. Actually, they are of no use except adding some cosmetic look to the car and its funny and scary to see how ppl are using them just to show off or do some stupid adventure.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 30th May 2013 at 12:44.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:17   #5363
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, even an emergency stop could be lethal to a child (or an adult!) poking out of a sunroof. Could do plenty damage to anyone not wearing a seat belt even.

Whether or not sunroofs are useless or not depends on the climate. In Chennai, we want always to keep the sun out! But in cooler climes, they are pretty useful. They are also the quickest way of getting the hot air out of a car that has been parked in the sun,
Old 30th May 2013, 19:39   #5364
Distinguished - BHPian

Cochin BHPians beware of this car!

I was behind this car for some 7-8 kms. Here's the scenario:
Lady driven - 2 kids in the back and one on her lap. Mind you, she was the driver. She was weaving through traffic in a very rash way even without looking at the mirror (I had a close call). Was easily touching triple digit figures on the crowded highways and the kids seems to be enjoying it.

In short - The worst female driver that I have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130528_165021.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 10:39   #5365
BHPian

Couple of weeks back travelling from Bangalore to Kerala - I came across this nincompoop driving a Beat. My "tussle" with him started at a petrol station on Palakad -Thrissur route. There was a Polo getting filled up and I was next in the queue. This guy in a TN registered Beat with a lady passenger , comes in and tries to squeeze into the non-existent space between my car and the Polo. The polo was driven by an elderly gentleman , and he took a few seconds to get going and the Beat guy started honking and hand gesturing.

As soon as the Polo moved this guy races ahead , the pump attendant asked him to move a little forward , the guy parks the car, opens the lid, steps out and gives me that gum chewing "I am so cool" look. The pump attendant asked me to move forward and started filling my car. The guy got annoyed and banged the lid close and drove off.

I thought that was that - but a few kms down the line I see him again and he started his game - he would slow down to 20-30 and block me from passing. Intermittently he would race ahead and then slow down for me to catch up. I could see his focus was more on the RVMs than on the road ahead. Whenever a vehicle overtook me , he would immediately move off the road and let them pass him too. I kept my cool for a long time , but I realized I am gear shifting a bit too aggressively. So I decided to take a break , especially as there was a strong drizzle and I didnt want to get into a road rage. So I stopped at a KTDC restaurant and had a yummy ghee roast.

And now the interesting part - a few minutes after I resumed , I see the beat parked on the side and the guy asking for a hike from bikers with a Coke bottle in his hand. I stopped near him and asked him if he needs some help and he asked me if I could drop him to a petrol station. I said "sure" and as soon as he started walking towards the car I screamed "in your dreams" and drove off. I know it was not classy from my side - but the look on his face was a picture to behold and that was such a relief and a mood enhancer. The funniest thing is that this guy skipped atleast two petrol stations in his bid to irritate me.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 31st May 2013 at 10:52.
JoeMichael is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 10:51   #5366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
And now the interesting part - a few minutes after I resumed , I see the beat parked on the side and the guy asking for a hike from bikers with a Coke bottle in his hand. I stopped near him and asked him if he needs some help and he asked me if I could drop him to a petrol station. I said "sure" and as soon as he started walking towards the car I screamed "in your dreams" and drove off. I know it was not classy from my side - but the look on his face was a picture to behold and that was such a relief and a mood enhancer. The funniest thing is that this guy skipped atleast two petrol station in his bid to irritate me.
That's one scene straight from a movie !! Loved your quote "In your dreams".
I don't understand what is the problem with following the queue at a fuel pump. I wish he would have found the next 2 fuel pumps closed or run out of fuel.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:05   #5367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
That's one scene straight from a movie !! Loved your quote "In your dreams".
I don't understand what is the problem with following the queue at a fuel pump. I wish he would have found the next 2 fuel pumps closed or run out of fuel.
Well I guess it was all exuberance of adolescence. The guy looked 19-20ish. Probably trying to impress his Girl Friend or whoever his female passenger was, with his macho image and fancy driving. "In your dreams" (with an obscenity in between) was actually from a movie - cant recall which though.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:08   #5368
BHPian

Quote:
See what this guy is doing, he has kept the sunroof open and allowed hs son to stick his head and neck out.
On this thread, we usually see kids with their head stuck out of the sunroof. Last evening, I came across a Chevy Cruz (fit for the weird & wacky mods thread - had HORRIBLE stickering all over the car with poorly matched colours) with a guy who must have been atleast 25; hanging out of the sunroof and striking the 'Titanic' pose. Characters on our roads never fail to amuse me. Wonder what was he thinking.

Quote:
I don't understand what is the problem with following the queue at a fuel pump.
Quite a few road-users don't seem to understand the concept of a queue. Similarly at toll-plazas, I have seem a number of people trying to cut in to lanes right where the booth starts. Mind you, it isn't only mini-trucks or cabs. I have seen private vehicles with seemingly 'educated' looking people at the wheel do this as well!! Makes my blood boil.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:45   #5369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Well I guess it was all exuberance of adolescence. The guy looked 19-20ish. Probably trying to impress his Girl Friend or whoever his female passenger was, with his macho image and fancy driving. "In your dreams" (with an obscenity in between) was actually from a movie - cant recall which though.
Totally agree. Might have learnt things from his 'educated parents'. Adding to that adolescence. Killer combination. Thankfully it ended without culminating into a bad road rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Quite a few road-users don't seem to understand the concept of a queue. Similarly at toll-plazas, I have seem a number of people trying to cut in to lanes right where the booth starts. Mind you, it isn't only mini-trucks or cabs. I have seen private vehicles with seemingly 'educated' looking people at the wheel do this as well!! Makes my blood boil.
Yes, the 'educated' lot are the most dangerous ones, because they can fight back at you in English. Atleast the driver class people have some respect and fear if you shout at them, but educated ones - they care a damn. Even though they incur damages in their cars, they would be filthy rich to buy a new car itself. Hate people with such mentality.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:04   #5370
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand what is the problem with following the queue at a fuel pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Guys,
Unlike Americans or Europeans whose default mode is programmed to form a queue, we Indians and a lot many are programmed to avoid or jump the queue. From bus stands, theaters to wherever, we assume that "I am priority number one", men and women alike. How will it be different on road, where we do not follow the Lane concept, has no regard for the vehicles in front or behind? Education or the size of vehicle doe not have any role to play. A bad driver/person in his young age mostly matures to be even more bad driver/person by means of education and money. Someone who drives a maruti 800 (considering non-existent safety aspects) and perform road rage, is very well inclined to do the same in an Audi.

We Indians, love chaos, more on roads!
beez is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed