Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 00:02   #5476
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Was returning home from office at around 11:30pm yesterday. The last stretch (of 3.5 kms) is a neatly laid 4-laned road - For Chennai-ites: Its the inner ring road connecting Velachery MRTS station and GST road. The only glitch in that road is that, certain portions would be devoid of lights.

As I just started this stretch from Velachery towards GST, the first km was not lit and I could see the lights of a truck coming in the opposite direction (mind you, its not a road with a median) and light of a TWO-WHEELER trying to overtake this truck coming in the same line as mine. I was confident that I will have enough space to cross this two-wheeler even if he still remains in my track and I sedately increased my speed to around 50-60 kmph.

Now, comes the nightmare. Only when I come within some 100 metres of this so-called two-wheeler, could I realize that it is not a two-wheeler but a cab-Xylo with a single-headlight. I immediately swerved to the left and was almost right-in-time to avoid a collision.

The next few seconds, I was shivering from top to bottom. The stupid fellow could at least have flashed couple of times when he was doing this maneuver. It was a 'heart-in-mouth' moment for me.

Last edited by callvvijay : 7th July 2013 at 00:03.
Old 7th July 2013, 00:34   #5477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

The next few seconds, I was shivering from top to bottom. The stupid fellow could at least have flashed couple of times when he was doing this maneuver. It was a 'heart-in-mouth' moment for me.
Sounds scary. Take care.

Did the guy realize that one headlamp was not working?

I was at the receiving end of one such instance in Mumbai.
Only, the bus squeezed the cab to a stop.
When I charged the cabby, he claimed that he did not know that one headlamp was not working.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:16   #5478
Distinguished - BHPian

3 IDIOTS!! Slowing down the traffic on the busy Bannerghatta road.. they are part of a wheeling gang and one of them did some stunts on his bike just ahead of these 3 duds.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0020.jpg

Another entry for the 3 Idiots audition! Helmet safely in the hands of the extra passenger!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0022.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 00:28   #5479
Senior - BHPian

guess the situation

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3465.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3466.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3467.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3468.jpg
Old 8th July 2013, 11:50   #5480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
guess the situation
This is so very frustrating! On many occasions I have actually requested such drivers to move ahead and play their game where there is less traffic. I really do not think they are ignorant or naive, they do it on purpose and with the attitude "what the hell, I don't care"

Last edited by sumathindra : 8th July 2013 at 11:51. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 11:57   #5481
Senior - BHPian

Well, what is the best place for parking and stretching out ? On a Flyover !!

Note: Bangalore people travelling from Bellandur flyover towards Marathalli side, expect a slow moving traffic on Intel flyover, as these two trucks are parked on the left lane. Am in Ecospace and not sure what has made them stop there ? But seeing quite slow moving traffic.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130708_114729.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130708_114731.jpg
Old 8th July 2013, 12:59   #5482
BHPian

Quote:
guess the situation
In Pune, this is the condition wherever the road has four lanes. The two outermost lanes will be always occupied by drivers like the one you have spotted. The driver who is following the outer lanes has to always go for sudden lane changes which inturn results in arguments.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:02   #5483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guess the situation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is so very frustrating! On many occasions I have actually requested such drivers to move ahead and play their game where there is less traffic. I really do not think they are ignorant or naive, they do it on purpose and with the attitude "what the hell, I don't care"
that's the Commercial Street junction. The woman in the hijab had actually stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road (just few feet from the junction) and was talking to the two blokes who had just crossed the road. a BMTC comes from behind and other motorists also start honking and then, very slowly, she moves to the corner and stops, AGAIN! they were there a good 10mins blocking the traffic!

there were three cops just ahead of where that car is parked, but they were too busy collecting fines.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:14   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
that's the Commercial Street junction. The woman in the hijab had actually stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road (just few feet from the junction) and was talking to the two blokes who had just crossed the road. a BMTC comes from behind and other motorists also start honking and then, very slowly, she moves to the corner and stops, AGAIN! they were there a good 10mins blocking the traffic!

there were three cops just ahead of where that car is parked, but they were too busy collecting fines.
Morons! such idiots should be fined on the spot for obstruction and their vehicles towed away. The cops should be taken to task for allowing such morons ply on the roads! How can people be so stupid?
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 13:43   #5485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
In Pune, this is the condition wherever the road has four lanes. The two outermost lanes will be always occupied by drivers like the one you have spotted. The driver who is following the outer lanes has to always go for sudden lane changes which inturn results in arguments.
BTDTGTTS

except in the Camp area, driving around in Pune will er.. drive you nuts
Old 8th July 2013, 14:03   #5486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....there were three cops just ahead of where that car is parked, but they were too busy collecting fines.
I wonder why the cops didn't notice this out-of-state car and came running for their fine share. It was a sitting duck! Quite literally.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 15:05   #5487
BHPian

Quote:
BTDTGTTS
What is BTDTGTTS?
Old 8th July 2013, 15:12   #5488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I wonder why the cops didn't notice this out-of-state car and came running for their fine share. It was a sitting duck! Quite literally.
i'm thinking there were cars parked on the roadside and their drivers missing on the Kamraj road (towards M.G. road) and some of them had dark tints. i guess that will fetch a higher amount that these nincompoops! very business minded you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
What is BTDTGTTS?
Been There Done That Got The T-shirt

hm.. taking/making that call is more important that getting home safe and in one piece:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_3447.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th July 2013 at 15:17.
Old 8th July 2013, 16:19   #5489
BHPian

Quote:
. taking/making that call is more important that getting home safe and in one piece:
Attachment 1107415
You should also watch the road ahead, instead of focusing your camera in the rear view!
kidding!
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 17:18   #5490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hm.. taking/making that call is more important that getting home safe and in one piece:
OT I hope that picture was taken while your car was stationary, else you ain't much better than that guy.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks