Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 18:00   #5491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Not sure if this has been posted here.
A similar video to the one above.

Forget a foreigner, that video scared me as well and I have been driving in India for almost 2 decades now!

Last edited by amit : 8th July 2013 at 18:02.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:53   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT I hope that picture was taken while your car was stationary, else you ain't much better than that guy.
nope, i was not stationery. IIRC, i was in 3rd gear; but for a change, that picture was not taken by me

@stormerider: appreciate your concern
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 00:22   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

A similar video to the one above.

Forget a foreigner, that video scared me as well and I have been driving in India for almost 2 decades now!
This guy's name is Rick. He was part of IRT - Deadliest Roads - Himalayas.

Along with this guy there was one more person, who left show even before he could take out his truck outside of Delhi completely. He crashed into a car and few other things happened with him.

Last edited by bblost : 9th July 2013 at 11:24. Reason: removed embedded video inside the quoted message.
Old 9th July 2013, 00:35   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

nope, i was not stationery. IIRC, i was in 3rd gear; but for a change, that picture was not taken by me

@stormerider: appreciate your concern
Which further means your rear view mirror wasn't adjusted for your view!?! Be careful dude.
We really like our official spotter.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:22   #5495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
T
Along with this guy there was one more person, who left show even before he could take out his truck outside of Delhi completely. He crashed into a car and few other things happened with him.
Yup, I remember watching this episode. He crashed his truck to a Santro joining the road from the left side. There was also a female driver who actually completed the task in the next episode

BTW, some shots of the traffic scene in those episodes were really scary. People were actually driving like total nuts on the Manali valley highways. Drivers like these deserve a crash but unfortunately, the passengers & other vehicles have to suffer.
Old 11th July 2013, 07:05   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post

Which further means your rear view mirror wasn't adjusted for your view!?! Be careful dude.
We really like our official spotter.
Not necessarily. In many cases, especially drivers who have learnt driving on Ambys and Fiats, prefer a slightly flat mirror, which gives the co passenger and rear right passenger a good view as well.

Different strokes for different folks.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 11:24   #5497
Senior - BHPian

While on my way home from work yesterday, i had stopped at the Town Hall junction at the traffic signal, waiting for it to change from red to green.

Just as the lights changed to green a biker in front of me fell down. We were both on the right most lane and this guy fell off on to the footpath. He was still seated on the bike and couldn't get off. The biker was sandwiched between the vehicle and the footpath.

I thought he had an attack of epilepsy so i went ahead of him, turned on the hazard lights and got off the car to attend to the person.

My car was right at the stop line in the extreme right with lights flashing so a cop noticed it.

Just as i managed to lift the fallen bike with the rider still perched on it, i saw the cop approaching us. The rider said he was fine and it turned out he was smashed drunk. He tried to get away from the scene but he was so sozzled that he couldn't keep the bike straight.

The cop hauled him to the other waiting cops and the rest you can imagine. I saw him talking to a senior official.

Thankfully the moron fell on the right side when traffic was at standstill. A few feet ahead he would have got crushed under a heavy vehicle since traffic on this stretch is pretty heavy. Good that he was neither hurt nor did he end up injuring or killing someone else on the road.

Here are a couple of more bad drivers i spotted:

A scorpio parked at malleswaram on a busy road:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130707-13.19.52.jpg

A biker waiting for lights to turn green, at the shivananda circle junction:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130711-19.25.21.jpg
Old 17th July 2013, 12:22   #5498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

A scorpio parked at malleswaram on a busy road:

Attachment 1112106
The road is a "No Parking" zone, so cannot park on the street.
Parking on the pavement is anyway always illegal.

So with one wheel on the road and another on the pavement, that Scorpio driver thinks he is in a "trishanku" state - and cannot be fined!!
Old 17th July 2013, 12:42   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

The road may be obstructed, but the pavement is completely blocked. No thought for pedestrians at all

No thought for his own vehicle, either: that is an absurdly high curb to drive up, even with an SUV.
Old 17th July 2013, 12:55   #5500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Thankfully the moron fell on the right side when traffic was at standstill.
You are also lucky that he wasn't next to your car and fell on his right insetad of left and onto your car.
The same happened to me at a signal when a drunk on a bike fell on my car and his handlebar left a dent on my fender. Couldn't do much as he squeezed in between traffic and scooted.
Old 17th July 2013, 13:08   #5501
BHPian

I wish I had my Camera today, to click the absurdities followed by drivers in Hyderabad. It is appalling to say the least. I am not even referring to the Taxi Cabs and 3 wheelers. This is pure white collared folks who in the effort to maybe reach their destination 5 minutes early, end up reaching there 10 minutes late and end up making rest of the folks reach later than needed.

Imagine a 2 way 4 lane Flyover and these guys blocking all the lanes in 1 direction. I don't understand why the Hyderabad police don't target such incidents. If I were the Hyderabad traffic police, I would be a millionaire in terms of fines collected within 1 week.

Classic Scene :
A Maruthi Ertiga tries to squeeze between my car and the one in front of me. Only problem : Me and the guy in front are in Bumper to Bumper traffic and this guy is trying to squeeze his car into the 1-1.5 feet gap. Not to mention he is on the wrong side of the road and still has the audacity to try to honk his way in. I had to roll down my windows and give him a Real Angry Stare for him to back off.

Its so much more stress driving to work and back without getting any scratches on my Baby.
I think one of these days, I will buy a second hand Bolero or something and go on a destruction derby in town. I will bang into every rule breaking vehicle that I am forced to give way for while driving my baby.That will probably be a good stress buster for me.
Old 17th July 2013, 13:46   #5502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You are also lucky that he wasn't next to your car and fell on his right insetad of left and onto your car.
The same happened to me at a signal when a drunk on a bike fell on my car and his handlebar left a dent on my fender. Couldn't do much as he squeezed in between traffic and scooted.
He was in front of me and i always maintain enough distance with the vehicle in front so even if he fell to the left he would have been clear of my car.

But while he was pushing the bike to the waiting cops i was scared if he would drop the bike on to my car.

Sad to note that your car endured some damage for no fault of yours.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:09   #5503
BHPian

Yesterday I met with two absurd motorcycle riders. I was moving towards from Mumbai to Pune via Old Mumbai-Pune road. I noticed a motorcycle parked on the road casually - with blocking half of the left lane and two guys sitting behind it. While I passed the motorcycle - to my shock I saw both the guys are sitting on the side of the road and chatting. Don't know how much time they continued their chit chat by blocking one lane..
Old 20th July 2013, 23:22   #5504
Distinguished - BHPian

Rain in Chennai. As usual, most people have no idea that wet roads should cause them to change the way they drive.

Yes, I had a bad journey home tonight. Morons nearly wiped out the effect of a very wonderful concert. Many of them had yellow plates.
Old 21st July 2013, 07:12   #5505
Senior - BHPian

@Thad,

My ABS kicked in more than few instances and a scooter bumped my rear bumper. Yeah, small paint scratches but i have stopped worrying.

These days the only way i try to keep sanity in chennai is to drive SLOW. 40-50 even in open stretches with atleast a bus length distance between me and the car in front gives me control to manage the morons.

CCTP has no clue on how just applying new roads on certain stretches can save their and commuters time. Unfortunately bureaucracy takes over and CCTP does not work with Metro to fix something as basic as road.

Example, Post guindy station roads, alexandar square to saidapet bridge road and more. These roads need a layer to be laid for smooth traffic flow. God save chennai from these ugly politics for something as simple as roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks