Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 19:24   #5821
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Courteous driving invites the wrath of some people here. Today, I am driving on the BTM lake road. Traffic was a bit sluggish, so I stopped to let a couple of cars in the opposite side turn right (cutting across me). Mr. Duster behind me instantly started honking and flashing and being super aggressive. At one point, he almost rear ended me when I slowed down for a speed breaker. In the end, he was still behind me at the next signal - I maintained 40-50 kmph speed and he simply could not get past. Gave me the dirts when he finally got past me at the signal. I guess he thought he taught me a lesson!

The mannerless yokels are in the clear majority, dear boy. Sounds 'elitist' and will displease many, I am sure, but this is the truth in front of our eyes!

Gentlemen are rare and this word and its accompanying behaviour standards are all but unknown. These days politeness and courtesy are mistaken for signs of weakness.

Might is Right and Anarchy Rules, on the Indian Roads at least!

We in this country have yet to pass through a few more dungeons and brave a few more dragons and burning fiery furnaces before we emerge the other side, hopefully as a better people.

If at all this comes true, it will take a few more generations and can only be accomplished through education and attitude-grooming from the grass roots upward.

Far easier said than done!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 19:30   #5822
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Many drivers also expect that the driver in front of them will run over pedestrians, rather than delaying them.

A couple with an older child and a babe in arms on a bike is bad driving. Letting the babe's shawl flap down to the wheel is potentially lethal. I happy to say that I did my but by attracting the woman's attention and gesturing what was happening. She retrieved the shawl. I'm even happier to say that it earned me a beautiful smile
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 19:41   #5823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The mannerless yokels are in the clear majority.....

These days politeness and courtesy are mistaken for signs of weakness.

Might is Right and Anarchy Rules, on the Indian Roads at least!
If at all this comes true, it will take a few more generations and can only be accomplished through education and attitude-grooming from the grass roots upward.
I tend to agree that education and attitude grooming would produce better results. But if we look back 2 - 3 decades back, the then Chennai roads had far more law abiding motorist who used to even respect the stop line. Looks like we now have changed priorities, and being law abiding was not one of it!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 5th November 2013 at 19:42.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:59   #5824
Senior - BHPian

Faith is one thing and hiding the number plate is another:

Name:  ForumRunner_20131106_105714.png
Views: 1347
Size:  572.3 KB
Old 6th November 2013, 11:46   #5825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
I tend to agree that education and attitude grooming would produce better results. But if we look back 2 - 3 decades back, the then Chennai roads had far more law abiding motorist who used to even respect the stop line. Looks like we now have changed priorities, and being law abiding was not one of it!!
I vividly remember the 90s when the Stop Line was given due respect by Chennai motorists and there used to be a fine of Rs50 (big deal in those days) for violating it.

While indeed folks are impatient today and majority don't follow the signals, there is another angle to it - infrastructure not keeping pace with the explosion in vehicle population. In the 90s, number of bikes/cars was less and traffic was sparse on most roads. For couple of years, every single day, I used to do ~100kms on my bike between Choolaimedu - AnnaNagar - Adyar - Tambaram during morning and evening and it was a breeze then. But today, I can't even think of doing this, given the traffic congestion on the roads.

The roads today remain the same from that time without any major widening, except that many 2-way roads have been made 1-way. Plus we have several flyovers in the city which in most cases don't serve any real purpose, other than having made some folks richer. So, effectively, there are many times the vehicles of the 90s jostling for space on roads that have not kept pace with the increase in the vehicles. This needs to be taken into consideration as a major factor that is behind the chaos today and the violations.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 12:27   #5826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Many drivers also expect that the driver in front of them will run over pedestrians, rather than delaying them.

She retrieved the shawl. I'm even happier to say that it earned me a beautiful smile
Well Sir
You have a very valid point . Drivers behind us are impatient and those in front of us are laid back as is the common thought in the driver's mind if you are caught inbetween and want to follow rules then god help you.

That baby will cheer for you when it grows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
But if we look back 2 - 3 decades back, the then Chennai roads had far more law abiding motorist who used to even respect the stop line. Looks like we now have changed priorities, and being law abiding was not one of it!!
+1 to that. Chennai traffic was never this rash nor negligent. Think that since 2005 onwards with the onset of immigrant employees due to expanding job opportunities the manner of traffic behaviour is changed totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I vividly remember the 90s when the Stop Line was given due respect by Chennai motorists and there used to be a fine of Rs50 (big deal in those days) for violating it.

I used to do ~100kms on my bike between Choolaimedu - AnnaNagar - Adyar - Tambaram during morning and evening and it was a breeze then. But today, I can't even think of doing this, given the traffic congestion on the roads.

The roads today remain the same from that time without any major widening, This needs to be taken into consideration as a major factor that is behind the chaos today and the violations.
Can never be more close in agreement to this point. overbridges are not adding to dilute/divert traffic but merely create a bottleneck when the merge onto the road and serves no meaningful purpose. Kathipara flyover ends just before olympia tech park junction and has created traffic being deviated to turn around, if the flyover ends after the ambal nagar junction traffic snarl may not have been so frequent.
Old 9th November 2013, 21:10   #5827
BHPian

Came across this series of Canada's Worst Drivers. Posting a couple of episodes, they have few seasons running.

We need to have something like this in India also. Atleast just for the sake of appearing in TV, it might help people learn driving.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 9th November 2013 at 21:17.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 00:28   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Came across this series of Canada's Worst Drivers. Posting a couple of episodes, they have few seasons running.
We need to have something like this in India also. Atleast just for the sake of appearing in TV, it might help people learn driving.
Nice videos. Just loved the antics of Angelina.
Old 13th November 2013, 00:18   #5829
BHPian

India's Test Driving - while applying for DL

Anyways, we already know about it. Sharing as I came across this video.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:55   #5830
Senior - BHPian

I don't know whether to post this in Bad Drivers thread or start a new thread - Bad Passengers !!

Found this in the Google + profile of an acquaintance.

Old 14th November 2013, 23:14   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I don't know whether to post this in Bad Drivers thread or start a new thread - Bad Passengers !!

On a different note, what was the person who shot this doing? Driving and shooting at 'nearly 100 kph' as he claims?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th November 2013 at 04:00. Reason: Removed video embed for benefit of mobile users.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:17   #5832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
On a different note, what was the person who shot this doing? Driving and shooting at 'nearly 100 kph' as he claims?
Cannot comment on whether he shot the video himself, or was someone else shooting !! But yes, if he was shooting himself, he was another idiot on the road, just like the bus.
Old 15th November 2013, 02:27   #5833
BHPian

Quote:
Cannot comment on whether he shot the video himself, or was someone else shooting !! But yes, if he was shooting himself, he was another idiot on the road, just like the bus.
Additionally, he shouldn't be driving so close to the bus. God forbid but what happens if one of the passenger looses his grip? He should be keeping safe distance.
Old 15th November 2013, 03:32   #5834
BHPian

Quote:

Rather than calling the bus driver idiot and blaming them i wonder why people put their own life at risk by trying to stand on footboard in overcrowded bus. Isnt it the fault of the persons who are standing there rather than the bus driver? Cant they take the next bus or worst they could even ask for lift if its such an emergency

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th November 2013 at 04:01. Reason: Removed video embed for benefit of mobile users.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:49   #5835
BHPian

Was turning from Kundanahalli going to Marathahalli yesterday evening when I noticed a wailing ambulance behind me. I was already into the turn and on the innermost Lane , so I moved towards the divider to let him go. I moved right in front of the divider that I had to reverse after he passed me, in turn angering a few more motorists.

After all this circus I proceed towards Marathahalli only to notice that he has switched off his siren and he's driving at a leisurely pace. Needless to say, my frustration knew no bounds.

Most Viewed