Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2013, 19:41   #5956
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
If you're from Bangalore, you see this everyday.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3239895&type=2
Nice link Torqy. Thanks a lot for the same. If you are asking me, then yup I am from Bangalore. Spent my childhood days, played Cricket at National college grounds, schooling with St. Josephs, college, First job with Kirloskar then over a decade in IT... say more than 40 years of my life right there from 1970s quaint garden city Namma Bengaluru till about 5 years ago I relocated to Goa as the city started to suffocate me. I felt somewhere Namma Bengaluru lost it's old day identity as it grew into a cosmopolitan city. and Goa happened. I haven't ever not even once regretted this decision yet.

Sad to say, now a days when I visit Bangalore, I can't stand it anymore, the traffic, pollution, road rage, attitudes stifles me. But olden days fond memories still linger. the foggy days to school, Makkala koota, cycle ride to Bannerghatta ( that road was an isolated road those days), Jayanagar 4th T block was the last human bastion and I would ride in a friend's Suvega (JP Nagar was still not formed). Fond old memories
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 22:05   #5957
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning on Western Express Highway in Bombay spotted a family in HR26 registered Civic. Mom was in the backseat next to the child seat. So far so good. Dad was driving. Next thing I see is two kids in the passenger seat. The younger of these just a toddler, gets restless and Dad takes her on his lap while driving.

God save such morons and their innocent families.
Old 28th December 2013, 22:16   #5958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Everything that's wrong, when pointed out, feels offensive. As I said, I do not intend to offend anyone who's going by the rules. As someone pointed out that female drivers are the most reckless ones, I was giving my 2 cents on the matter.

We also have people saying that bicyclists are a nuisance on the roads, turning without looking back for clearance etc. Now how is this made general? Are you saying that every bicyclist is the same? I'm a bicyclist myself, and I do not perform the same kind of stunts on the road.How come you do not stop to think that this may be offending for bicyclists, but something about females immediately alerts you? A BHPian might very well be a cyclist too.

Understand that my point was about the females who drive in the manner I stated, not every female. This was clearly stated.

But yea, I agree that guys too make mistakes in their own way, and I should have included that as well.

So talk about people who misuse, or don't use their mirrors.

No need to make this a fifty-precent of the population thing, with a rather measly, hey, I might not mean everyone, as your get-out clause. Sorry, It doesn't work as a get out clause.
Old 28th December 2013, 23:51   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

So talk about people who misuse, or don't use their mirrors.

No need to make this a fifty-precent of the population thing, with a rather measly, hey, I might not mean everyone, as your get-out clause. Sorry, It doesn't work as a get out clause.
I might not mean everyone is not a get-out clause of any sort, its a part of my whole statement. Since I don't find a reason to deviate from my original opinion, using a get-out clause doesn't even apply.

Mods, if you feel these opinions shouldn't be posted here, please feel free to delete them
Old 29th December 2013, 01:48   #5960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Point no: 1- again from a safety point of view is right. Hope you meant it that way.
Yes, ofcourse I am concerned about the safety of a 2 wheeler in the right lane and that's why I pointed out my thoughts.
Every single day, on my way to work and return, I encounter atleast 20 such 2 wheelers in the fast lane (right).
Picture this:- I am overtaking a slow moving town bus in the middle lane, and my foot is on the pedal. All of a sudden I see a camouflaged 2 wheeler in front of me. I stand on my brake and swerve a bit to the center lane. Upshift to 3rd or 2nd gear and then again try overtaking the bus. In the meantime, the vehicle behind the bus gives me a long panic honk !! Imagine the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hi Soumya, This is the pictorial rendition of the situation.
Wow !! So indeed my imagination was wrong.
My apologies if I said against something which you weren't doing !!

Now lemme rant on the Scorpio - What the heck was it doing taking a turn from the left lane across the entire width of the road ? !!
He is lucky that you as a biker, slowed down. Had it been an adrenaline gushing Car or a SUV, or a town bus, or a broken truck with non-existent brakes, the Scorpio would have been T-Boned !!

I see that you had ample space to take the turn, since you were in the right lane.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 02:13   #5961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Now lemme rant on the Scorpio - What the heck was it doing taking a turn from the left lane across the entire width of the road ? !!

I see that you had ample space to take the turn, since you were in the right lane.
Thanks for your kind words. Actually there is no U turn there and nobody takes a U turn there. It is a simple passage across the Mandovi bridge.

There is no median either. Just a white line. The bridge is a part of NH17 that takes one out of Panaji city towards Mapusa - Mumbai road. Infact I have never seen anyone take a U turn at that section. Drivers simply cross over the bridge and there is a proper circle for U turn about a Kilometer up the road.

A logical deduction would be that the driver could be a tourist who mistakenly came to this road which leads outside the city, and he could be wanting to enter Panaji city and wanted to take a U turn to go back into the city.

Thanks Soumya, this incidence has taken more space in this thread than it truly merits as he may not be a totally bad driver ( considering that his Indicators were ON) but a tad careless one.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 02:19   #5962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
A logical deduction would be that the driver could be a tourist who mistakenly came to this road which leads outside the city, and he could be wanting to enter Panaji city and wanted to take a U turn to go back into the city.
Thanks Soumya, this incidence has taken more space in this thread than it truly merits as he may not be a totally bad driver ( considering that his Indicators were ON) but a tad careless one.
Haaahaaahaaa. Well, we Indians love to jump to conclusions too soon, and me being one of em' too.

Yes, may be a tourist, lost in the city, trying to make his way out. And like you said, since his indicators were ON, we could give some benefit of doubt to him !! ;-)
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 11:10   #5963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post

I might not mean everyone is not a get-out clause of any sort, its a part of my whole statement. Since I don't find a reason to deviate from my original opinion, using a get-out clause doesn't even apply.
You are entitled to your opinion and as long as it is expressed in an inoffensive manner the redt of us are free to disagree in an equally inoffensive manner

Quote:
Mods, if you feel these opinions shouldn't be posted here, please feel free to delete them
I do agree with Thad and think your post csme across as misogynistic or at the very least patronizing. But let's move on. Incidentally there was a lot of indignation when that auto journalist wrote a rant piece on cyclists some time ago. Mods, some of whom are avid cyclists, shared this outrage. There is even a thread on this somewhere.

Let's move on now. In the spirit of Christmas let's not cast the first stone and use the opportunity to turn inward and make every effort to not be bad drivers as best we can.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 14:35   #5964
BHPian

Well, the worst drivers that I have ever come across are the owners of these exotic cars. The VRS, 911, BMW, Yeti, Merc and the HDs. The most easiest to spot.

Posted here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3331188

When: Saturday 28th Decemeber 2013. 6.45 PM onwards
Where: Calicut Beach road and other inner cross roads

These hooligans were scaring every other road user and general public around the Calicut beach by doing high speed drives with the rpm limiters actually cutting off. Along with a bunch of lunatic morons on their Harleys revving away to glory. And when you carry the flag of a regional party, these filthy rich nincompoops can get away with anything.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 18:09   #5965
BHPian

Another addition to the community of bad drivers. This man is not only risking his life but also a threat to other motorists on the road.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-aphoto.jpg
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:16   #5966
BHPian

Hi
Happy new year to all the TBHPians.

For the 1st post of the year 2014. What set me thinking (as I just returned from a drive to my parking lot and spent a few minutes ruminating and meditating) How many of us actually do the below frequently(this may not mean we are bad drivers or good drivers ) but just habituated to doing the same.
(1) Hand on the gear- predominantly on long drives/short drives /regular commutes
(2) mobile connected on the drive
(3) hand on the door sill whilst waiting at signal
(4) showing hand signal (even when indicator on) at turns/ stop signal by hand/sudden stop at redlight (even though we must have anticipated)

Cheers

Will meditate even deeper for other thoughts/random ramblings.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:37   #5967
Distinguished - BHPian

Keeping the hand on the gear, or the foot touching the clutch pedal is bad for your car. Yes, I catch myself at it, especially in city driving with frequent changes.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:13   #5968
Lij
BHPian

^^ Unfortunately most of the stuff in the video is now a common place on our roads. But still there was something I never expected in the part where a biker comes from opposite direction between the truck and bus !!!
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:30   #5969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Keeping the hand on the gear, or the foot touching the clutch pedal is bad for your car. Yes, I catch myself at it, especially in city driving with frequent changes.
I would be interested to know how keeping hand on the gear lever is bad for the car.
I know its bad for my safety and car control as I should be holding the Steering wheel with both hands, but cant help in heavy traffic.
Old 2nd January 2014, 23:06   #5970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I would be interested to know how keeping hand on the gear lever is bad for the car....
I first learnt to drive when gear boxes were very close to the lever itself, and directly mechanically linked. I was taught that even a small amount of pressure caused wear to components inside the box.

More recently, I actually asked here: Does this still apply these days, when everything is connected by flexible links. Not quite fly-by-wire, but nearly!

The answer that I go was yes, still better not to.

So, I cannot personally justify it, but it is a piece of "received wisdom" in my driving history.

Quote:
I should be holding the Steering wheel with both hands
Have to confess that most British drivers stop doing this as they leave the test centre with a pass. That includes me. In most circumstances I do not use both hands on the wheel at all times.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd January 2014 at 23:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed