Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 10:18   #6016
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Indian roads are full of bad drivers and spotting them is very easy. However, what is even more strange is when these bad drivers brazenly disobey traffic rules in the presence of traffic cops.

Here is one such situation, that I saw today morning, where some car drivers can be seen driving on the wrong lane and three traffic policemen standing next to them conveniently choose to do nothing.

Attachment 1188928
If I am not mistaken, this image seems to be of Sarita vihar red light, New Delhi?

People coming from Sarita Vihar residential area are (kind of) allowed to come through service lane/on wrong side to cross the red light otherwise the U-Turn is at about a KM or so.

But people there are not satisfied with this flexibility.
They tend to block more than half the road on wrong side, causing long vehicle queues at red light for people who actually are on the right side of the road.

As if this was not enough, many a times they do not obey the traffic light causing huge traffic pile up because of deadlock at the red light.

I have stuck for 1-2 hours in this deadlock more than once.

Qouting my dad: "Hindustan ka toh bhagwan hi maalik hai".
Old 30th January 2014, 10:41   #6017
BHPian

Quote:
this image seems to be of Sarita vihar red light, New Delhi?
Yes Buddy, you are correct with your observation. This is a daily routine and if I start clicking the pictures daily, I am sure a thesis can be written on this subject.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:10   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
A grey innova with an idiot driver behind the wheel probably suffering from loose motions was on my tail honking away to glory. When the lights changed, this imbecile tried to overtake from the left but couldn't do so since there were bikes and scooters in the left lane.
Exact same incident happened with me last Wednesday (22-Jan) evening, with a different interesting ending. I am driving from Kathipara towards Ashok Nagar when I see a white Ritz behind me that is too close for comfort - tailgating. I stop at the crossing a little after the Hilton and even while folks are crossing the road, he is impatiently honking, as if I should run over the guys in front so as to make way for him.

To avoid having him so dangerously close to the rear of my Baleno, once folks have crossed over, I floor the pedal to move clear of him. Ofcourse, this seems to only egg him on and he tries to first overtake from left which does not work since there are bikers all over. Then he thinks he can squeeze his Ritz in the 2-feet space between the median and my car. I speed up a bit more to avoid that possibility and finally the road widens at Kasi theatre junction where I am stopped for the red-light. In the RVM, I can see him coming to my left aligning close to shout at me. But in his enthusiasm to line up parallel to me, he ignores the front and ends up hitting the rear-right corner of a white office bus, in the process having damaged the front-left bumper of his car. He still wants to come fight, but he did not expect the bus-driver to come out and raise a big ruckus for damaging the fibre-bumper. As they slug it out, I drive away.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th January 2014 at 11:11.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 11:18   #6019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
ends up hitting the rear-right corner of a white office bus, in the process having damaged the front-left bumper of his car.
Serves him right. Thank heavens he did not clip a pedestrian or a biker.

I always wonder why they are in such a rush. After all their antics they still end up at the next signal just alongside or ahead of the car they were bullying.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 08:59   #6020
BHPian

Re: The Official Joke thread

at a loss for words
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scooter.jpg  

riturajsharma19 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 14:35   #6021
Senior - BHPian

A strange experience while coming home yesterday evening. While returning I see a silver Polo with loud honking & flashing lights in the mirror. While thinking what to do, (for there was an indicab taxi in front of me and we were in the rightmost lane next to the divider), the silver Polo zips ahead of me from the left. And there is a grey url sticker on the bumper. Before long he cuts across the Indicab, and instantly there is a loud crack; and the bumper gets caught in the left corner of the Indicab and is torn off. With the dangling bumper creating a racket on the road, he still speeds up some 50-100mts ahead and swerves to the left and stops. A young man around 25-30 jumps out and starts arguing with the cab driver. All this on the busy Senapati Bapat road around 7.15-7.30pm

If you are a bhp-ian I would suggest you to drive safely and not rashly. But if you are not, then get rid of that sticker on your car you don't deserve it. In a way I think it served him right, got an on-the-spot punishment for the way he was driving on the road. Damage to the Indicab = Zilch. Nothing at all!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 12th February 2014 at 14:36.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 15:29   #6022
BHPian

Members driving through UB City -> Cubbon Park should be careful about a moron who drives a golden SX4 KA 03 MJ 5542 and passes through this route in the evening.

He thinks he drives at the BIC, doesn't follow lane discipline (not that everyone does it, but this guy is too close for comfort), cuts diagonally from the left hand lane to the right even though there is slow moving traffic in the front. Basically he gives a damn about other people on road. I sincerely wish he meets his fate one day!

One more idiot, who sticks to his horn, no matter what. This guy drives a santro KA 02 MB 8302. Erratic honking is a habit of many, but this guy is a master of that trade.

In both cases, my BP would have risen to the extreme, as I wanted to just get out of my vehicle and slam them, especially the SX4 guy. Better sense prevailed though during both incidents and I just went on with my drive.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 17:02   #6023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
long he cuts across the Indicab, and instantly there is a loud crack; and the bumper gets caught in the left corner of the Indicab and is torn off. ... ... ... In a way I think it served him right, got an on-the-spot punishment for the way he was driving on the road. Damage to the Indicab = Zilch. Nothing at all!
Isn't it nice when instant justice actually happens! The trouble is that most bad drivers actually get away with it, over and over again.

Instant justice, of this kind, is good, but I have to remind myself, sometimes, especially with bikers, that I do not want to see anybody getting hurt, whatever stupid thing they are doing.
Old 12th February 2014, 17:23   #6024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
at a loss for words
It possibly cannot happen. Tell me it's photoshopped...
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 17:54   #6025
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting from the "Traffic & Life on the road in Chennai" thread.

Quote:
Noticed a stupid lady driver last week in front of Spencer Plaza. While coming from Thousand lights, in the traffic signal after Spencer Plaza, you could take a free left (inside the plastic barricades).

This lady in Blue-green new gen Dzire comes straight at the plastic barricade, totally confused as to go inside the barricade or stick on to the main road to take a left, stretches out herself to see the barricade and does a last min right weave and misses a two wheeler by an inch (just because the rider managed to weave right). The rider & pillion throws a sharp look at the lady, heaving deep sighs.

The lady neither sees the two wheeler even after crossing nor is aware of the damage she almost caused, confused as hell as she was and continues driving! No look in the OVRMs, no botheration!
Old 12th February 2014, 19:38   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It possibly cannot happen. Tell me it's photoshopped...
Not sure. Got it from Facebook.
Old 12th February 2014, 22:45   #6027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Isn't it nice when instant justice actually happens!
Yes! instant justice always feels so nice; especially considering the fact that these days majority of the drivers on the road give two hoots to the rules and discipline. Btw, I didn't know the bumper of the Polo was so flimsy. All it took was a slight brush with an Indica and the whole thing was ripped to pieces like a thermocol bumper But the Indicab driver was as surprised as everyone else; I could see a confounded expression on his face while it happened!!
Old 12th February 2014, 22:46   #6028
BHPian

Couldn't resist from posting this . Location is San Jose, California.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-parking.jpg
Old 12th February 2014, 23:43   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
When one bad driver meets another. See the other SUV parked next to this one.
Old 13th February 2014, 12:23   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

8th Oct 2012, evening:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20121008-18.06.21.jpg

17th Oct 2012, evening:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20121017-17.24.28.jpg

22nd Oct 2012, afternoon:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20121022-12.05.01.jpg

Hadn't quite gotten enough time to click photos every day. Doesn't matter, as it was the same story every day.

Got to hear that it's a she. And the friendly colleague (an ex-marine) who passed this info to me says she drives and parks as though she learnt driving in Mexico (maybe he hadn't seen our peer drive in Bangalore)

This specimen is a rare species in yankeeland, in the sense that, it's got a Manual transmission. I wouldn't dare buy it if it comes for sale - i wonder what the condition of the mechanicals would be!

Last edited by silversteed : 13th February 2014 at 12:24.

Most Viewed