Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:58   #6061
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Scene: A quiet afternoon on Sector 30 - 37 road, Noida.

Instance 1: A grey Santro parked almost in the middle of the lane but it's a small car and there is space to stay on your side of the road. Driver is busy with a phone stuck to his ear. I gesticulate for him to move to the side. He is startled, I see him make a motion to start the car and move. I move on. Saving grace, at least he stopped and answered his call.

Instance 2: A little ahead on the same road, a Safari parked a good 4 feet away from the tar edge. Old man is buying some fruits from the road side vendor. Son (and Driver) busy on the phone also stuck to his ear. It is a two lane road, there is traffic in the opposite lane. It's a Safari, there is no way one can stay on your side of the road. I honk politely. Nothing. I look in the rear view mirror, no one is behind me and there is gap in the opposite direction too, I pull up parallel to him (I'm more than half in the opposite lane!), roll down my window and tell him a to have some courtesy for other people. The fellow is of course stunned, he shouts back, "Have left the whole of the opposite lane for you". I shake my head but he has another valid reason to stand in the middle of the road so he adds "Remove the road side fruit seller first". It's my turn to be stunned. Oh so now it's the poor street vendor's fault for eking out a living. I have to move on, I can see a car in the RVM. I am busy for the next 10 minutes about imaginary repartees where I am the winner! Yeah right. (Hey, but I do get to post in this thread!) One last look in the RVM, the Santro is still where it was, he did not move after all.

Wife keeps telling me to stop this social service, "you'll get killed one day". She's right of course, this nation can't be educated one person at a time. And they are there in the millions, it is a hopeless battle. But one has got to try isn't it, after all I am the one does watch Satyamev Jayate!

Its time to start a new thread 'Good Drivers - How do you spot 'em'.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 2nd March 2014 at 14:00.
LithiumSunset is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 00:52   #6062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
But one has got to try isn't it, after all I am the one does watch Satyamev Jayate!

Sorry for going OT.

Well, Aamir Khan has better issues to run his show, other than Road Ettiqutes / Manners, or Accidents for that matter.
I had read in some survey somewhere that road accidents are the leading cause of deaths in India. I am sure Aamir would not have read it.

Saw the first episode of SJ. Grave issue discussed, but I wonder if he/the show producer is actually doing things on the ground.
Old 14th March 2014, 13:31   #6063
BHPian

This guy is under the assumption that he owns the road with the SUV he drives. Total lack of respect on the rules and erratic driving.

Have posted on BTP public eye, lets see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20140314_093829.jpg  

sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 14:12   #6064
BHPian

An impatient motorcycle (Honda) rider, with no helmet, a mobile phone in his hand, in the middle of a two lane road (and in front of my car!). He scrolls through the contact list, makes a call, sticks the phone to ear. He keeps veering wildly.

I honk, honk continuously to disturb his conversation. He pulls back impatiently and gives way and shouts about the honk. I say, let us go to police. His answer had me in stunned and then, splits. "You see, I was not talking in the call, I was only listening!"

PS: Don't know if this should go to jokes thread!
babu.sundaram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 14:20   #6065
BHPian

Location - U Turn after DLF IT Park Chennai
What? - Orange Tato Nano with all the Team BHP stickers and a funny exhaust

This guy took an extremely dangerous U-turn yesterday night just outside our appartment Exit gate. Even the cop who was standing there on duty was shaken.

Buddy, one humble request if you are reading this post, please remove the Team-BHP stickers from your ride.
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 14:42   #6066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Location - U Turn after DLF IT Park Chennai
What? - Orange Tato Nano with all the Team BHP stickers and a funny exhaust

This guy took an extremely dangerous U-turn yesterday night just outside our appartment Exit gate. Even the cop who was standing there on duty was shaken.
Probably you can give some details about the "dangerous U-Turn" aspect. Difficult to make out any scenario without adequate description.
Old 14th March 2014, 15:32   #6067
BHPian

Share Autos!!! I feel they are a menace on the road. I have not seen even one SA driver drive with discipline till now!!
Old 14th March 2014, 15:35   #6068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post

An impatient motorcycle (Honda) rider, with no helmet, a mobile phone in his hand, in the middle of a two lane road (and in front of my car!). He scrolls through the contact list, makes a call, sticks the phone to ear. He keeps veering wildly.

I honk, honk continuously to disturb his conversation. He pulls back impatiently and gives way and shouts about the honk. I say, let us go to police. His answer had me in stunned and then, splits. "You see, I was not talking in the call, I was only listening!"

PS: Don't know if this should go to jokes thread!
The advent of mobile phones has lead to everyone mis using the same rather than using it for constructive purposes. Speaking on the mobile while getting down from the bus, crossing a railway track/road.Truly sorry state of affairs
Old 18th March 2014, 15:07   #6069
BHPian

Notice this fellow, crossing a National Highway on a two wheeler and that too without a helmet.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 15:15   #6070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Notice this fellow, crossing a National Highway on a two wheeler and that too without a helmet.
He is right, if he meet with an accident while crossing the NH there is no chance to escape, so there is no point in saving only his head.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 18th March 2014 at 15:17.
Old 18th March 2014, 15:24   #6071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
He is right, if he meet with an accident while crossing the NH there is no chance to escape, so there is no point in saving only his head.
Yes, CMS a very valid point. I never thought of this.

But you know, if he is on a suicide mission then why is he hard bent on involving another driver. If something happens to this moron it will be the other person who would be running here and there to prove his innocence .
Old 20th March 2014, 15:26   #6072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

Attachment 1221110
Where's mobile phone? One can't miss talking on phone while crossing a NH without helmet!
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 17:02   #6073
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this person would qualify as a bad driver. But definitely a highly irresponsible driver.

Location: Bangalore: Marthahalli-Kundanahalli Signal Stretch. Peak hour traffic. Morning 9.15. Stretch notorious for inching traffic and people cutting all over the place.

What I see: A guy in a Chevrolet Spark. His kid on his lap (maybe 4 yrs old). And most shockingly,the kid is handling the steering. The guy has his hand on it. But still a quick turn by the kid in any direction would result in the car banging someone on either side.

Totally irresponsible.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:37   #6074
BHPian

I was once driving behind another car and its brake light came on very often, even when the road stretch in front of him/her is clear. Is he/she a bad driver / good / cautious / scared / nervous driver?
Old 20th March 2014, 22:46   #6075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not sure if this person would qualify as a bad driver...
Bad driver, yes! Worse parent

Most Viewed