Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 14:02   #6136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Met a few morons yesterday on Mysore Road on a Sunday afternoon drive with the better half:

1. Two old men in an Alto, cruising at 30-40 kmph in the first lane. Stayed behind for a good kilometer, honked and flashed in vain, then finally overtook from the left. The gentle(old)men were in an animated discussion. Driving on (or rather blocking) the highway a mere afterthought.

2. Big truck hogging the first lane moving slow, me overtaking from the left, a boy-racer type in an old-model Zen with a LOUD exhaust and opaque windows wants to overtake me (when I'm already on the left lane). This happened near the large HP bunk down the road from the CCD near Ramagaram. The idiot actually tries to squeeze between my car and the divider separating the highway and the service road, and then angrily honks and swerves in front later when I refuse to disappear out of his way. The better half ensured the incident went no further. Drank some cold water and moved on.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:24   #6137
BHPian

This moron need not be spotted, he was flashing his attitude. He parked his i10 on the road to collect his laundry. I honked and he says 1 min. I'm like, you have blocked the road why don't you park it to the side and do whatever you want to do and that its a public road. There was space for him to park it before or after the shop so that traffic is not blocked. I understand if it was a kid he was dropping etc. He goes ballistic and says, you can reverse and go back, take another cross. After some exchange of words he moves it with a huge glare. Glare to the hand buddy.

Just when I thought lets forget it, I reach my destination,which is a narrow road. Here is a guy talking on the phone and his bike is blocking the road. At times like these 10 seconds seems like an eternity. He is still talking. A friend of his has the decency to put the bike to the side.

Alright I thought lets forget it, and while returning home, I meet another helmet less moron on a Dio. A car in front of him is making a right, he is right behind the car. He suddenly makes a quick left and right nearly causing me to hit him. I pull up to him and say why did you do that? What if had crashed into you? He says if he had to die, he would.

Might be the election fever.
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:02   #6138
BHPian

Now this is taking 'badassness' to a different level.

Have you ever heard of changing the wheels of a car while doing side-wheelie?

Watch it here

Mod Note : Let us not berate people of any nationality, colour, caste or religion.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2014 at 12:18. Reason: Removing objectionable content
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:31   #6139
Senior - BHPian

People really need to learn to park, rather than just stop wherever and leave.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1398182532340.jpg  

IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:23   #6140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
What if had crashed into you? He says if he had to die, he would.

Might be the election fever.
This probably is the new way how to commit suicide. As such we have people crossing railway tracks with earphones on unaware of the train honking and get killed. Guess they would be listening to songs pertaining to death/moksha.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:14   #6141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday on New Thippasandra main road, Bangalore:
I was heading in the direction towards BEML junction when a White Swift driven by a decent looking old 'gentleman' is coming straight ahead in front of me in the wrong direction. Guessing that the 'gentleman' may not be aware of the 1 way (of course I was wrong!) I told him very politely "Sir this is a 1 way and you're on the wrong side" to which he angrily retorts "Yes, I know, so what ?"

Maybe we need a thread on what to say/how to deal with a situation when you spot such Bad Drivers

Last edited by NPV : 27th April 2014 at 12:16.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 22:39   #6142
BHPian

hi

Just wanted to mention this incident which happened a few days back in chennai.

I was waiting at this junction which did not have a free left with my left indicator on.

There was this impatient driver of a school bus ( of all vehicles) behind my car literally standing on his horn asking me to move.He had already broken the earlier signal when I was taking a right and he was coming straight despite it being a red for him.

Now at this signal I just could not or rather did not want to budge and I thought he needed a lesson in being more patient especially when driving a school bus.So I just turned up the volume of the music and had a sip of water .

All this was happening in the presence of a patrol car and a few policemen at the junction.

Suddenly this man had the audacity to get down from his vehicle and come around to my window .

I was not sure if he wanted to pick up a fight but I just looked out at him and lowered my window and asked him what he wanted.

He asked me why I was not moving; I told him it’s a red for the next 60 seconds and he can either wait or go and ask the traffic police standing with the patrol to let us go .
He just gave me this priceless look and went back .
Of course after taking the left it was an open road and I did not have the chance to see him again ; but I just could not stop laughing thinking about the look on his face all the way home.

On a serious note while there was no explicit notice put up saying it was not a free left the signal had a clear left indicator which was off and we had traffic coming from the right.

While I could have digested such an attitude from a bus driver with a time sheet deadline I just could not accept that this guy was driving a “school van” .
atlantis0965 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 10:31   #6143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Just wanted to mention this incident which happened a few days back in chennai.
I face this same issue everyday for the past couple of weeks. Every morning, I have to take a left at the signal on Kanakpura road in Bangalore, just after Metro C&C. It is the same situation as you mentioned. A left turn and it's open when the traffic is from the left and not a free left when the signal from the right side is green, due to the traffic from right. I stop at this signal and every day, one or the other person will come behind and start honking. Day before yesterday, it was a TT, yesterday it was a red Ford Fiesta and today, it was a black Scorpio. I do not give them much attention and keep calm and continue chatting with my wife. The honking becomes more when the count comes to 7 or 6 seconds. I move only after the signal has turned green
Old 29th April 2014, 10:49   #6144
BHPian

Quote:
hi

Just wanted to mention this incident which happened a few days back in chennai .

Somtimes these traffic lights make us shame-faced by not working properly. Many a times I have stopped at a Red light without knowing the fact that it does not turn into any other color other than "Red". Courtesy - CCTP
Old 29th April 2014, 11:57   #6145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The honking becomes more when the count comes to 7 or 6 seconds. I move only after the signal has turned green
You are doing the right thing Mate. Stick to it and teach those morons a lesson. They think they are the masters of the road wherever they go.
All that they know is to flout rules and get involved in an accident, the price we have to pay for no fault of ours.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:38   #6146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I could have digested such an attitude from a bus driver with a time sheet deadline I just could not accept that this guy was driving a “school van” .
Taking it a step ahead, you should have noted down the vehicle number and complained to the school authorities. The would have taught him a lesson or two, depending on how serious the school would have been to address this issue.

Last edited by dass : 29th April 2014 at 12:57.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:25   #6147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Somtimes these traffic lights make us shame-faced by not working properly. Many a times I have stopped at a Red light without knowing the fact that it does not turn into any other color other than "Red". Courtesy - CCTP
Some of the signals are the opposite. They light-up only on green, and otherwise all lights are off. Earlier this used to happen at the Neduvankarai - Shanthi colony junction, also on a couple of signals between Thirumangalam and Ambattur estate. I have highlighted the same multiple times on the Traffic police facebook page!! Not sure how many of them are consistent these days.
Old 29th April 2014, 22:59   #6148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
ha ha agreed yes it does happen at times ; i guess it is better that way though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You are doing the right thing Mate. Stick to it and teach those morons a lesson. They think they are the masters of the road wherever they go.
All that they know is to flout rules and get involved in an accident, the price we have to pay for no fault of ours.
Yes !
The thing is many of them of are barely literate and they honestly don’t know why the signal is there or for what purpose it is there. The only way they know to drive is to put the vehicle wherever a gap turns up and as far as possible use the horn and not the brake .
so like this thread topic clearly mentions it is upto to us to spot them and deal with them in the best way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Taking it a step ahead, you should have noted down the vehicle number and complained to the school authorities. The would have taught him a lesson or two, depending on how serious the school would have been to address this issue.
Well I should have man ! I am sorry I did not do that; but like i said i was really laughing my heart out on seeing his reaction for what i said about going to the police and asking their permission that I just let it go.
Like i’ve said earlier also sometimes I really feel sorry for them because it’s just the way they have been taught ( if at all ) and given the license to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I face this same issue everyday for the past couple of weeks. Every morning, I have to take a left at the signal on Kanakpura road in Bangalore, just after Metro C&C. It is the same situation as you mentioned. A left turn and it's open when the traffic is from the left and not a free left when the signal from the right side is green, due to the traffic from right. I stop at this signal and every day, one or the other person will come behind and start honking. Day before yesterday, it was a TT, yesterday it was a red Ford Fiesta and today, it was a black Scorpio. I do not give them much attention and keep calm and continue chatting with my wife. The honking becomes more when the count comes to 7 or 6 seconds. I move only after the signal has turned green
hi
I guess we do so at our own risk man; considering the percentage of impatient people on road I guess we also have to keep praying that they stop only with the honking .
Like in my case it could have been a psycho who could have brought a wrench out of his bus and smashed either my car or worse me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Some of the signals are the opposite. They light-up only on green, and otherwise all lights are off. Earlier this used to happen at the Neduvankarai - Shanthi colony junction, also on a couple of signals between Thirumangalam and Ambattur estate. I have highlighted the same multiple times on the Traffic police facebook page!! Not sure how many of them are consistent these days.
Oh yes
It’s always a gamble with these lights; sometimes I wish they just remain off because in that case if you are going correctly and carefully you can navigate the crossing easier and safer.
Old 29th April 2014, 23:20   #6149
Distinguished - BHPian

Was coming back from Dwarka the other day and was following this chevrolet beat. The guy was driving pretty normally at around 110 kmph. Suddenly while overtaking a truck hogging the right lane on a 6 lane highway, the truck driver decided to change lanes to middle lane without any signal or a look at the traffic in the middle lane. The beat had started to overtake the truck at the same time and due to the total unexpected lane change of the truck, the beat guy almost crashed into it but was lucky enough to have escaped unscathed. What happened next was surprising. The beat driver, obviously furious, overtook the truck in a jiffy and braked in front of it to crawling speeds straight from 3 digit speeds. The truck guy had to brake suddenly too and then the beat driver just kept him held up behind him at crawling speeds for I don't know how long. But till they disappeared from my IRVM the beat driver was continuing holding up the truck.

Now I understand the frustration. But if there was one lesson to be learnt from this then it was that the truck driver is a moron. What the beat guy did next was only giving the moron one more chance to run him over. I found it a totally foolish and dangerous way of showing anger.
Old 29th April 2014, 23:21   #6150
Distinguished - BHPian

The truck driver was a moron, yes, but the Beat driver has him, err... beat. The first thought he should have had is, "How are that truck's brakes: if he can't slow down in time, I'm mincemeat."

Signals...

I think I drove through a red signal today.

The junction and signal layout is so badly designed, and further messed up by the Chennai Anna Salai Metro works that I am not even sure. I didn't even see the light until I was half way across. The road was completely clear, and vehicles on other entrances to the junction were stopped.

So really, I don't know whether I did or not!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th April 2014 at 23:24.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed