Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 10:48   #6256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

One of many instances from Bangalore ORR near Marathahalli. There is a U-turn enabled zone just before Marathahalli while coming from K.R Puram. I was coming in that direction on my bike and was nearing this U-Turn zone. I was doing a reasonably good speed and just then saw a Mini Bus in the corner of my eye preparing for U-Turn from the opposite lane taking an extremely wide line at high speed. I braked and slowed down to below 30kmph on seeing that guy's racing line and speed! But one poor Ritz guy was well ahead in front of me on the right most lane and spotted this moron late. The minibus guy did not bother to slow down or alter his line even after seeing the Ritz guy at an alarmingly close distance. I was seeing both mini Bus and Ritz guy and thought that a collision was inevitable. But that poor Ritz guy had to dodge hard to the middle lane to avoid hitting this moron! Where as the Bus guy joined the lane and continued on as though nothing happened. The poor soul in the Ritz was honking and flashing his headlamps behind this guy in fury. But the bus guy did'nt give a damn as to what happened and moved on. Just another day in Namma Bengaluru.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 17:19   #6257
BHPian

I live in CBD belapur. This is where one end of the Palm Beach road is(vashi-CBD freeway for those who aren't aware of it).
I have seen many accidents there and sadly have been a part of one pile up.luckly no one was hurt then.
About bad drivers, when the palm beach road ends at the CBD belapur end, there is a straight road for almost 700 meters and then there is a slight curve (easy left for those who have played dirt or grid video games ). I have seen 2 cars, both wagon r for some reason who seem to have missed the easy left and hit the divider. Funny thing is so many cars have hit that 3 feet tall divider (most dividers within city in navi mumbai are 3 feet tall with plants/trees planted) that the divider has a slope now. Both wagon r's I have seen have climbed the slope and lodged themselves bang on the divider with all 4 tyres hanging on either side to the divider. From what I hear, no1 sustained grave injuries in both accidents,not sure if its a case of drunk driving or simply driving bad while sober but the sight of those cars on the divider was quite funny.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:26   #6258
Senior - BHPian

Early morning today, while dropping my son to school today, I saw an Alto being driven by a lady near Karthik Nagar (Close to Marathalli). While the lady was all buckled up, what appalled me was that she had her toddler son on her lap while she was driving. I mean, How crazy can people get? There was rush hour traffic, as the time was around 9am and this lady was doing this. Scant safety for themselves and for others, I was on a two wheeler, else I would have managed to take a snap of her and her circus act.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:32   #6259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Early morning today, while dropping my son to school today, I saw an Alto being driven by a lady near Karthik Nagar (Close to Marathalli). While the lady was all buckled up, what appalled me was that she had her toddler son on her lap while she was driving. I mean, How crazy can people get? There was rush hour traffic, as the time was around 9am and this lady was doing this. Scant safety for themselves and for others, I was on a two wheeler, else I would have managed to take a snap of her and her circus act.
At least she was in a car; I see a rising trend in the few previous pages to grab a baby in one hand and ride the scooter with one!

Last edited by noopster : 27th June 2014 at 13:41. Reason: Let's not go there, please!
Old 25th June 2014, 14:29   #6260
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. That was just my frustration. Even if I had taken a photo, i would have kept my identity safe while posting it to BTP.
We all see such incidents all over Bangalore every day. Have you seen how school vans (Omni's/mini buses) are driven ? They have kids inside and also don't care for others on the road, they're double edged swords!

No amount of pictures and complaints will change such people, it's just their way of life and very normal for them!
Sadly such people will rarely meet with an accident that could change their behaviour, the sufferers are almost always innocent folks who are honest and follow all the rules.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 13:33   #6261
Team-BHP Support

Heard of bumper-to-bumper insurance but not bumper-to-bumper parking. Now I get it:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-altaito2xjey_6_dk3joynfcxeez0lett1ziwspfhhi8hs_.jpg

Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 13:45   #6262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
At least she was in a car; I see a rising trend in the few previous pages to grab a baby in one hand and ride the scooter with one!
Saw this on an extremely busy road in rush hour the other day: a couple riding on a motorbike with a child, perhaps 2, standing on the seat between them. The child had both its arms free and the only support provided was by the mother holding her at hip level.

I was right behind them and my wife gave a little scream and wanted to warn them, but I figured they know the risks and are doing it anyway, so it's not my problem, so slowed down and allowed enough distance between my vehicle and theirs. Feel bad for the innocent kid, though!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 10:25   #6263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week while going to office, I noticed a guy driving the car with his son sitting on his lap.
All that i can say is IRRESPONSIBLE FATHERS AND MOTHERS.

As regards the above lady, she is living dangerously. What if the toddler suddenly turns and falls into the gap between her legs and the ABC (accelerator, brake , clutch)??
Old 28th June 2014, 11:26   #6264
BHPian

I have always failed to understand the mindset of people who drive extremely slow in the rightmost lanes on Highways. Are these lanes not supposed to be used for overtaking? It becomes worse when you are driving at a decent speed looking for space to overtake but such slow driver will make sure that he does not give you that space and stick to this lane . Ultimately forcing you to over take from left which should ideally be avoided. What option does one have in this case!!!
Old 28th June 2014, 16:26   #6265
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I have always failed to understand the mindset of people who drive extremely slow in the rightmost lanes on Highways. Are these lanes not supposed to be used for overtaking? It becomes worse when you are driving at a decent speed looking for space to overtake but such slow driver will make sure that he does not give you that space and stick to this lane . Ultimately forcing you to over take from left which should ideally be avoided. What option does one have in this case!!!

During my recent trip to Amboli, I came across many of these. At times it would be really irritating when there would be a bike in the left lane going at 50kmph and the car in the right lane at 60kmph. Otherwise it would be those 6 seaters on the left lane stopped to pick up passengers.This was more common till satara. These type of situations make highway driving experience no different from the city driving as you really can't cruise on the highway.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 20:22   #6266
BHPian

Off late this is seen increasing . first they fold there orvm second they play very loud music which nullifies our honking ....very very frustrating.
Old 30th June 2014, 00:05   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Jasmeet, Are you referring to 'slow' as in relatively slow compared to the rest of the traffic (such as 55 kmph when everyone else is doing 90+) or absolutely slow (such as 20kmph). Sometimes when driving on an expressway one has to adhere to speed limits of 50 / 60 kmph even though everyone else is overspeeding by a long margin. In such situations what do you believe is the right lane to drive in? After all right-hand most lane is for fast moving traffic (provided they are adhering to the speed limit). Should one move to the left to make way for speeders, especially when often the left lanes are difficult to drive because of bad surfacing, (really slow) trucks, buses, 2-wheelers and distractions from vehicles entering using side roads, etc.
Old 30th June 2014, 08:01   #6268
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this bad rider @ Jayanagar 4th Block. There is plenty of space reserved for 2 wheeler but this person had to take out a 4 wheeler parking.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_000655.jpg
Old 30th June 2014, 11:12   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Jasmeet, Are you referring to 'slow' as in relatively slow compared to the rest of the traffic (such as 55 kmph when everyone else is doing 90+) or absolutely slow (such as 20kmph). Sometimes when driving on an expressway one has to adhere to speed limits of 50 / 60 kmph even though everyone else is overspeeding by a long margin..
Dear Friend

I am referring to those drivers who choose to drive in rightmost lanes on 40-50 kmph speed on highways where usually the top speed is 90 or 100 kmph. There is no harm in driving towards the left most lanes. Even if the corner lane is bad I guess it is better to stick to middle lanes cos the faster cars can then overtake from the right as they are supposed to. I have travelled on Yamuna Expressway from Greater Noida to Agra. Everywhere it is written that do not drive in right most lane - it is meant only for overtaking. Still people choose to stick to right lanes there as well and drive on 40-50 kind of a speed. Top speed at that highway I guess is above 100.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:33   #6270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Spotted this bad rider @ Jayanagar 4th Block. There is plenty of space reserved for 2 wheeler but this person had to take out a 4 wheeler parking.

Attachment 1256149
I doubt any 4 wheeler could fit into that narrow space! (maybe a rickshaw!)
This is due to no proper parking lines demarcating the space.

Or else I may be mistaken and the 2 wheeler was already parked before the cars came in and parked.

Most Viewed