Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 17:55   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
2 rear-endings by women-drivers has convinced me that it is not a good thing for your car, to be seeing them in your RVM, however pleasing for the eyes the view might be.
OT:
SB, no wonder You replied on 'Concentration lapses' in the other thread.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:59   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When I mentioned 'tailing', I was merely referring to a situation where there is a car behind me maintaining a decent gap depending on circumstances. I was not referring to 'tailgating', which is driving 'dangerously close behind' and which is indulged in by rash/reckless drivers, cabbies and call-centre drivers. I am yet to see a woman who 'tailgates'.
And I totally misread your post.

Apologies. I actually read the word as 'tailgating' which I can only put down to bad eye/brain co-ordination, resulting in the spewing of rubbish.

Window to edit my post is closed, or I could withdraw it, or at least take out your quote.

Old 18th March 2009, 18:33   #618
BHPian

A little off topic, but thought this is the most relevant place to share this piece of information. Long ago, I remember reading a research article which was on driving styles of men and women. The outcome were:

1. men drive with a sense of timing. You would often find them uttering, "it doesn't take so long...", "the turn was not this far".
2. Women drive with points of reference. You will often fidn them saying, "its near that transformer", "Turn at the neem tree".

And this is the reason it gave that you don't find many women flying, driving trains. No offence meant. Sailing, flying, driving a train, etc need sense of time. There are no landmarks to look for.

While driving also women tend to look at landmarks.

Reactions please!
dushmish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 19:55   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reactions please!
Nope. Sorry. Even though sexist stuff gets to me, it is just not worth getting into the argument, which would be way off-topic here anyway.
Old 18th March 2009, 20:01   #620
Senior - BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...le-1-10-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-cars-suv.html

you might find a more receptive audience at these threads
Old 19th March 2009, 14:46   #621
Senior - BHPian

one more thing i have noticed is that young drivers in their two wheelers say 15 to 18yrs who ride their activa or new bikes just zoomin in society roads that even people walking there gets frightened as to suddenly this kids pass by without witnessing people,kids walking playing around.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:00   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
...young drivers in their two wheelers say 15 to 18yrs who ride their activa or new bikes just zoomin in society roads...
...and you won't believe the the number of times we get to see these same drivers at our clinics/at the hospital OPD with altered facial geography, including broken teeth, noses and jaws... . They conveniently forgot their helmets at home. I really don't know whether a 2-wheeler rider without a helmet is a BAD driver, but I consider him a STUPID driver.
Old 19th March 2009, 20:04   #623
Senior - BHPian

I get scared when I see these girls whizzing past on their auto-gear 2-wheelers - at speeds of 60kmph and more. I am 100% sure that most of them are not aware of the limitations of their rides at high speeds and would not be able to take evasive action incase something surprising pops up without adequate warning.

More than calling them bad riders, I would think they have not been told of the limitations (by whoever taught them riding) and are just unaware riders. But they are at risk and if any of you guys has sisters/wives using 2-wheelers, it would be good to make them aware of the implications if they were to brake at high speeds, skidding etc.

P.S.: I always share safety tips with my wife (she rides a Scooty). Eg. to slow down and be very careful while overtaking a car parked on our side of the road, because you never know when a moron suddenly & carelessly opens the car door just as you are riding by. I know someone who died in such an incident - sounds simple, but can be fatal.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th March 2009 at 20:08.
Old 19th March 2009, 20:31   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More than calling them bad riders, I would think they have not been told of the limitations (by whoever taught them riding) and are just unaware riders.
As someone who is useless on two wheels, just unable to even balance properly, I feel some envy for these kids who are almost natural bikers from infancy --- but wouldn't it be great if they learnt some proper driving skills and respect for the risks, from that age?
Old 19th March 2009, 21:34   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I get scared when I see these girls whizzing past on their auto-gear 2-wheelers - at speeds of 60kmph and more.
---------
I know someone who died in such an incident - sounds simple, but can be fatal.
You are right. With the proliferation of new age scooters, the girls are starting to have the fun. Also, I see that almost 90% of them do not follow even basic safety measures such as wearing a helmet. And I hardly find them using RVMs. Helps them only to see if their make-ups are disturbed . No offence meant to anyone here. There are really good lady riders but very few.
Old 20th March 2009, 02:32   #626
Senior - BHPian

female drivers sometimes get on my nerve.today one nudges my car from the rear right side because some fool was trying to cut her from the right so her left front nudged my right rear.got a lil scrape on the wheel arch.

rev
Old 20th March 2009, 02:33   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

So you can show me more than a few good male two-wheeler riders in Chennai, can you?

Quote:
I see that almost 90% of them do not follow even basic safety measures such as wearing a helmet.
Like 90% of the men do*? And the male passengers?

*in Chennai, where we both live
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
female drivers sometimes get on my nerve.today one nudges my car from the rear right side because some fool was trying to cut her from the right so her left front nudged my right rear.got a lil scrape on the wheel arch.
She should have thrown herself under the wheels of the (male?) fool who cut her up instead of getting on your nerves?

Excuse me. I have some urgent washing up to do...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th March 2009 at 02:37.
Old 20th March 2009, 08:39   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So you can show me more than a few good male two-wheeler riders in Chennai, can you?

*in Chennai, where we both live
Dude, you are right. But I'm just telling the ratio. In a stretch, Among 50 male riders, 25 don't wear a helmet which is 50%. Among 10 female riders 7 don't which is 70% . Errr Excuse me I may be
Old 20th March 2009, 10:11   #629
BHPian

I always tell my wife to be very careful on her two-wheeler.
She sometimes gives a wink and says, 'auto-guys dude cant help but give them back'.

I hope she can start driving the SwifDy to office, or agree to the Nano.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:38   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Don't know about other cities, but Chennai has a pretty good ratio of helmet users. The result of the helmet rule that came into effect some years ago + the occasional fine slapped by cops for not wearing one. I have observed this while standing at busy junctions and I would say that atleast 80% bikers wear helmets in Chennai. But when it comes to pillion-riders (passengers as per you) it is close to 0%, which is dangerous because in most 2-wheeler accidents, the fatality is usually the pillion-rider.

Ofcourse, having a law is fine, but implementation is key. So, while to anyone with even an iota of common-sense, the helmet law would mean wearing it on your head while riding, to our cops, it just means that you should have a helmet in a 1-metre radius of you or your bike. So we have these guys who hang the helmet from the rear-view mirror or from the rear or from the sides and all these supposedly qualify as having a helmet and are thus not fined.

Not only is this stupid, it adds to the danger because rear-view is obstructed or your rear-light gets covered by helmet or there is a chance of the helmet getting entangled with some other bike. All of which could have disastrous consequences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks