Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 18:55   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I have to add Santro's to this list. God knows what the owners think but i have seen Santro's driven like it's a ferrari- and plenty of them! Somehow, all the maniac Santro's are the old ones. Does the Xing have a calming effect or something?
hahaha, I love it.

You forgot to add a few things:
1. High beam wallas- is it necessary to blind the other person?
2. Motorcycles driving without head lights at night- no comment necessary here...
3. Motorcycles overtaking you on the right and ending up going straight... [wait for the best part]... when you have clearly indicated for the last half a km that you are going to turn right at the only intersection in sight so there is absolutely no confusion. Yet, they seem to think that overtaking you on the right would be a smart thing to do...

Also one clarification. I've noticed that the underaged drivers whose parents do not know they drive tend to be the worst. The ones that allow/allowed them, usually learn how to drive properly... from their parents, and they follow the rules because their parents trust them to.
Old 21st March 2009, 22:49   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTripperGH View Post
3. Motorcycles overtaking you on the right and ending up going straight... [wait for the best part]... when you have clearly indicated for the last half a km that you are going to turn right at the only intersection in sight so there is absolutely no confusion. Yet, they seem to think that overtaking you on the right would be a smart thing to do...

wht i have noticed is that motorcycles are interested in only overtaking from the wrong side - normally they should overtake from the right but they overtake from left and when there is a special circumstance like above where they should overtake from left they have a sudden urge to obey the law and overtake from right i certainly was not doing this when i was 18 and on a 2 wheeler!! its a shame how pathetic most 2 wheeler drivers are and i am sure they follow the same stupid overtaking patterns when they get to driving cars!!
Old 21st March 2009, 23:05   #633
Senior - BHPian

Exiting a turn or a speedbreaker with high gear...hear the rattling engine note,then they shift down!! Guess thats inexperience.
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:16   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Exiting a turn or a speedbreaker with high gear...hear the rattling engine note,then they shift down!! Guess thats inexperience.
haha, or their driver is driving the car. I do not understand how all [most] drivers think it improves your FE... I hear it actually shortens your engine life.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:26   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Absolutely: change down before the hazard, rather than afterwards.

...And 2-wheelers that overtake on the left even as you are already turning left into a side street, let alone indicating, and blaring their horn as if they are in the right -->
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:33   #636
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely: change down before the hazard, rather than afterwards.

...And 2-wheelers that overtake on the left even as you are already turning left into a side street, let alone indicating, and blaring their horn as if they are in the right -->

guys as soon as i read the thread i saw the locations...ITS CHENNAI and i think we all share have this problem.i get irritated when bikers do this and act as if they are right. my 4 months old swift has three major scratches are are by bikers in the way you ppl have described.

both ORVMs front bumpers due to slip shading in front by the bikers
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:18   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess traffic behaviour (especially two-wheeler traffic behaviour) is different in different cities. Chennai bikers may squeeze in and honk on the side of a car turning right, but Delhi bikers don't do that mainly because speeds are higher and risks of fatal collision are greater. Delhi bikers seem to prefer blocking the whole lane and slowing down the traffic, and weaving and swerving between slow-moving or stopped lines of cars.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:26   #638
Senior - BHPian

Downshifting after the hazard ruins youe engine in the long run...good driving needs proper co-ordination...
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:13   #639
Senior - BHPian

also what about female riders riding activa which compared is a heavy scooter to scooty or kinetic, which in traffic they somehow cant balance themselves not the activa.
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:40   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
also what about female riders riding activa which compared is a heavy scooter to scooty or kinetic, which in traffic they somehow cant balance themselves not the activa.
Which is why every good driver tries to maintain such a distance while passing two wheelers that IF they should fall over you will not run over them!
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:54   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Which is why every good driver tries to maintain such a distance while passing two wheelers that IF they should fall over you will not run over them!
Er... There's a rule in the UK that says a bicyclist is entitled to his wobble, and if a passing car brushes against him and claims it happened because the bicyclist wobbled, it's still the car's fault. For motorised two-wheeler riders, I don't think that applies - because they're supposed to be trained enough not to wobble before they got their licence.
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:58   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy
guys as soon as i read the thread i saw the locations..ITS CHENNAI and i think we all share have this problem.
One reason for this is that Chennai has the distinction of being the city with the highest number of 2-wheelers in India.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:02   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Er... There's a rule in the UK
Err....this is India. Different continent, different ethnicity, different everything, if I may?!!!
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:09   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Err....this is India. Different continent, different ethnicity, different everything, if I may?!!!
That's why the Er...!
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:04   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK, a motor-bike rider is entitled to the whole lane, and encouraged to take it too. However, cars overtaking motor-bikes is relatively rare; it is usually the other way around.

On the whole, though, they are very much aware of the danger of what they do, and many of them have greater driving skills than the car drivers. Having a clue is the biggest single difference between London bikers and Chennai bikers*.

Even guys like the couriers, who have to deliver fast to meet targets and earn money, and may be a little crazy on the road, will be very fussy about safety gear. Helmet? Protective gear from head to foot, no less! Mater of life and death!

*Present company excepted of course; those without clue are unlikely to join T-BHP. Pity; they could learn a lot here!

Most Viewed