Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 12:03   #6481
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Well, Maruti may be taking steps like training n stuff.
But, Alto 800 Lxi also does not have Left-Outside Rear View mirror (by default).

Ace.
Wonder why Maruti(and others) folks don't add that extra 300 rs to the cost and have that left ORVM standard. I didn't have it either when I bought my Alto Lxi. But got it installed before delivery. Safety on low budget cars is at the bottom of the priority list.

On Bad Driver: Was on Varthur road a couple of weeks back coming towards Whitefield. There is a break in the median opposite Forum Value Mall where all the cars driving out of the mall take a U-turn. I thought U-turn takers had to wait for a gap in the on-coming traffic. A silly young guy in his Linea decides to take it anyway "thinking" I would stop. I didn't, but slowed down. I told him by gesture and a smile that I had right of way and he had to wait. I could see he didn't take that with the same kind of smile. He lowered the window and showed me a finger. Responses of the same kind to such individuals would only make me small.
Old 14th August 2014, 15:23   #6482

I was happy to see the grey i10 with the TBHP sticker on the rear bumper ahead of me yesterday, near IISc, Bangalore. It also had the 'Baby on Board' tag hanging. In the next signal when I stopped next to him, I was shocked to see the driver with baby on his lap! Kid was holding the steering and playing with it. How can a member of this forum be so insensitive to safe driving! 'I drive safe' shouldn't be just a sticker to be proud of, it should be put to practice every single time you are behind the wheel.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:18   #6483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmangat View Post
I was happy to see the grey i10 with the TBHP sticker on the rear bumper ... I was shocked to see the driver with baby on his lap! Kid was holding the steering and playing with it. How can a member of this forum be so insensitive to safe driving! 'I drive safe' shouldn't be just a sticker to be proud of, it should be put to practice every single time you are behind the wheel.
Not all stickered cars belong to the forum members. That said, not everyone here is an angel too. So, take it as just another bad driver and move on - sticker or no sticker.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 17:47   #6484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Not all stickered cars belong to the forum members. That said, not everyone here is an angel too. So, take it as just another bad driver and move on - sticker or no sticker.
While I agree to that, knowing that a person drives badly should be a deterrent enough for any t-bhpian to deny a sticker.
One of my relatives has been pestering me for a sticker, and I have repeatedly refused citing the same reason to him.
Old 14th August 2014, 18:27   #6485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
While I agree to that, knowing that a person drives badly should be a deterrent enough for any t-bhpian to deny a sticker.
One of my relatives has been pestering me for a sticker, and I have repeatedly refused citing the same reason to him.
I get what you're saying. We can refuse to part with these 'prized items' when somebody we know (having bad driving habbits) asks us. But can we do something about those who pay the money and buy it from the very same Forum's online store and then get wild on the roads? I rest my case. Peace

Happened a couple of weeks ago. I was driving from Varthur towards Kundanahalli, and the late evening traffic was quite thick, even on a sunday. When we reached one of the gaps in the divider (guess after Siddapura), I saw a City driven by a gentleman, and an elderly gentleman in the passenger seat, waiting to make a U-turn into my lane. He had the RHS indicator on, and also turned off the headlamps while he stopped and waited for a gap. A smart-alec in a Swift/Dzire on the City's left side also wanted to make a U-turn (which I got to know only when he cut across the City), but no indicators and had the headlamps in high beam. When the vehicle in front of me inched ahead, instead of closing that gap, I decided to just block the Swift. Done. Now the gentleman could make a U-turn and merge into my lane. While taking the turn, the passenger window rolled down and the driver called out a thank you and saw the occupants smiling at me. It was heartening.

The guy behind me also made the smart-alec wait it out, and I liked that a lot

Last edited by silversteed : 14th August 2014 at 18:36.
silversteed is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 20:06   #6486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I get what you're saying. We can refuse to part with these 'prized items' when somebody we know (having bad driving habbits) asks us. But can we do something about those who pay the money and buy it from the very same Forum's online store and then get wild on the roads? I rest my case. Peace

Happened a couple of weeks ago. I was driving from Varthur towards Kundanahalli, and the late evening traffic was quite thick, even on a sunday. When we reached one of the gaps in the divider (guess after Siddapura), I saw a City driven by a gentleman, and an elderly gentleman in the passenger seat, waiting to make a U-turn into my lane. He had the RHS indicator on, and also turned off the headlamps while he stopped and waited for a gap. A smart-alec in a Swift/Dzire on the City's left side also wanted to make a U-turn (which I got to know only when he cut across the City), but no indicators and had the headlamps in high beam. When the vehicle in front of me inched ahead, instead of closing that gap, I decided to just block the Swift. Done. Now the gentleman could make a U-turn and merge into my lane. While taking the turn, the passenger window rolled down and the driver called out a thank you and saw the occupants smiling at me. It was heartening.

The guy behind me also made the smart-alec wait it out, and I liked that a lot
I recently drove in Boston for a week, and no matter how many times one does that, the first few instances when people let you merge/take a turn is perplexing. In one instance, I was actually confused for a sec until the guy in the waiting car gave a short honk, smiled and waved at me to merge. I guess I'm embarrassed by civil treatment after years of being bullied out of mere inches on Indian roads.

And anyone you treat with respect there never forgets to return a 'thank you' gesture. But in India, I've stopped to let people merge or take a turn, and some have smirked at me as if I'm a fool. I probably am. But even if one out of a hundred is happy I helped them out (met one such elderly gentleman on the street yesterday), it's worth it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th August 2014 at 20:24.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 20:28   #6487
BHPian

BD @ Bangalore,

As if driving from Hosur to Yelahanka is not tedious task by itself we also get to tackle morons like these.

At about 6.30pm on a Thursday, I encountered this white swift with BLING stickers and shiny rims perturbed by my GT (I guess). I was driving with my wife in the passenger seat when this Swift rolls up next to me trying to provoke me into a race. He kept parallel driving inching closer to my left mirror and trying to get my wife's attention. Honestly, I was scared before anger took over and spotting some open space in front of me I tame the GT to zoom past to get rid of this moron. This might have been viewed as a "game on" signal to race by this moron and he starts chasing my car honking and flashing lights. I was so blind with rage I did not want to drive so I pulled into the service lane near the hebbal veterinary college to clam down. He continues driving in the same manner may be soaking in his Joy of over taking me. The whole incident kind of put me off for the evening.

In retrospect, I did nothing nor did I drive like a boy racer to "Invite" such a scene. I didn't even get into the fast lane to cut through traffic. I was having a nice conversation with my wife when this moron ruins the evening for me. What Joy in doing such a thing I don't know !

I feel sun control film could have helped here. At least the dirty stares.
Old 14th August 2014, 23:57   #6488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I was actually confused for a sec until the guy in the waiting car gave a short honk, smiled and waved at me to merge.
Completely Agreed, most of the people here in Canada as well are courteous and give way. If I want to change a lane and put on the indicator, the approaching car in the other lane slows down a bit to allow you to merge in. I have now made it a point to wave my hand in a "Thank you" gesture every time when someone allows me to merge in and most importantly, I have "learnt" to allow cars to merge in to my lane and I feel satisfied in reciprocating what I received.

One of my colleague (a senior person) has the tendency to stick a small note on the driver side of the car if their license plate has an expired insurance sticker, I have now started to follow that as it gives a feel of "satisfaction". As most of you know, if you are pulled for expired insurance, you have to pay a hefty fine and along with the towing charges as it is illegal to drive the car with the expired insurance.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:57   #6489
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this guy (kid) recently. He visits our neighbour regularly (caretaker for his property) and has a Dio scooter and everyone on our street and people on the way know when he arrives and departs since he has his own unique way of making his presence felt
-He never wears a helmet though it is usually hung around the mirror.
-He enters and leaves our narrow, silent street at about 50-60kmph speed always with horn blaring all the way till he merges onto the Main road (when exiting) or till he reaches outside my neighbours home.

I met him couple of days ago in the evening and asked if his scooter had any problem ? He was curious to know what I was asking so he listened on and I asked him if the horn is connected to the engine due to which it stops and starts with the engine

Then I enquired why he was using the horn always and overspeeding on our silent street to which he obviously had no answer.
Since then I haven't see him exhibit his old 'style' anymore, hope it's good riddance to that behaviour.

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2014 at 10:59.
NPV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 13:25   #6490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Then I enquired why he was using the horn always and overspeeding on our silent street to which he obviously had no answer.
Since then I haven't see him exhibit his old 'style' anymore, hope it's good riddance to that behaviour.
Over time, I've learnt that some (not all) people don't act inconsiderate out of a misplaced/misdirected ego, they just don't know any better.

They probably never got a lesson in etiquette, and usually mend their way if you politely/firmly ask them to. But then there are those that intentionally do it for kicks. Takes all types to make a world, I guess.

I definitely am more patient on the road than I was a few years ago, but patience is more an must-have than a virtue on the chaos we call Indian roads.
Old 15th August 2014, 15:05   #6491
Team-BHP Support

How do you spot a bad driver?

Someone who refuses to give you way and tries his level best to close the gap by flooring the gas-pedal and then once he has cut you off, he goes back to his usual comfortable pace smack-bang in the middle of the road.
Old 15th August 2014, 15:51   #6492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Over time, I've learnt that some (not all) people don't act inconsiderate out of a misplaced/misdirected ego, they just don't know any better...
Watch bikers, when cars have stopped for pedestrians, drive straight through the the road crossers without looking right or left. Does it take advanced etiquette to know that is wrong? If they behave like this on the bike, do they behave like this off it too? Just pushing others aside as they do what they want to do? In some places it probably gets them promoted.

(There a bad pedestrians too, and I will drive through them if they are ignoring their signal. They should not start to cross, as a crowd, just as the signal changes for the traffic to start. At some signals it could be another five-minute wait. Of course, however bad, we must not forget that pedestrians are fragile and softer than cars (or bikes) and never take the risk of causing injury.)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th August 2014 at 15:52.
Old 15th August 2014, 16:08   #6493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Watch bikers, when cars have stopped for pedestrians, drive straight through the the road crossers without looking right or left. Does it take advanced etiquette to know that is wrong? If they behave like this on the bike, do they behave like this off it too? Just pushing others aside as they do what they want to do? In some places it probably gets them promoted.

(There a bad pedestrians too, and I will drive through them if they are ignoring their signal. They should not start to cross, as a crowd, just as the signal changes for the traffic to start. At some signals it could be another five-minute wait. Of course, however bad, we must not forget that pedestrians are fragile and softer than cars (or bikes) and never take the risk of causing injury.)
I took special care to mention 'some (not all)'. I'd hazard a guess that the 'some' are the minority on Indian roads, but they do exist.

That being said, a lot of drivers/riders on Indian roads seem to dive for a gap more by instinct rather than intent. I've noticed countless times when someone dives into a gap alongside my car/bike, only to realise there's no gap to pass. Now I'd agree some of these instances maybe due to sight limitations (blind-spots etc.), but I've seen lots where there's no way the person could miss the obstruction up ahead but they still swerve into it, I can only call that instinctive. All down to driving etiquette (or lack thereof), most Indian drivers look after they move.

All said and done, I don't like errant drivers/pedestrians any more than the next peaceful driver on road, but I never go out of my way to teach them a lesson. Their idiocy will serve them their lesson sometime, I just hope I'm not caught in the mess when it happens to one of them.

P.S. Completely agree with you about the attitude problem. People take their (often rewarding) ruthless 'work' attitude to the street, to friends, sometimes even to families. Despicable, but unfortunately happens a lot these days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th August 2014 at 16:10.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:27   #6494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Yesterday it was raining heavily here since 1900 and this made me delay my drive home to 2130 (to avoid at least the congestion). While on the Kalikapur - Bypass connector there are a couple of places where the divider ends and both up/down traffic merges into a single side. A hotshot driver on one of the new Dzire white cabs coming in the opposite direction executes a high speed curve from his (down) road onto mine (at point of merging) and then back to his side (down) again, in the process splashing my whole windshield with water and reducing visibility to zero for a fraction of a second. Luckily for me there was next to no traffic ahead or behind in my lane and I was going very slow at 30, but still terrifying as there were some pedestrians lined up on the divider waiting to cross.
Has happened to me. The mere shock of zero visibility for a split second is enough to scare the hell out of you. But this usually happens when there are torrential rains + consequent puddles/accumulated water. Happens to us in Goa (lots of rain you see ) If it's on a curve it can be far more dangerous. The best way out if to marginally reduce speed, and stay course. Sudden braking, reflex veering away can be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Driving on a narrow road with a fair bit of traffic . Yellow plate Innova right behind me, honking , blinking lights. Sigh. Here is one for the bad driver thread.

He slows down beside me, finally rolls down his passenger window, and shouts "Your door isnt closed properly!"

Ouch.

I gesture a big apology to him, and I could see him smiling and shaking his head, as he gunned past me.

Well, this shouldnt be in this thread, but then I almost thought he got here.
Don't blame you. We (including me) tend to stereo type based on vehicle type/whether it's a cabbie/rickshaw/cyclist etc. Nothing wrong with it. It's a sub conscious risk calculation. Certain types of vehicles/drivers out to automatically trigger a reaction of greater caution.

Most modern cars though have now a good double lock mechanism which I think usually ensures that the door wont open up even if not fully closed.
Old 17th August 2014, 16:48   #6495
Distinguished - BHPian

Two bad times this week...

Heading south on OMR (three lane carriageway), a bus overtakes on the right (so far so good) but hugs the white line, forcing me over to the left. Another bus is coming on the left, hooting and forcing its way through. There is not room. We both stopped. I move forward to scream at the driver. He says I should have moved to the right. Mrs G translates what he tells me, but she does not translate my reply (that would definately be beyond the call of duty for a respectable middle-aged Indian wife!) --- but I think the bus driver may have understood anyway .

After taking a wrong turn in the Mylapore lanes (and a big thank you to the ill-bred red-car middle-aged couple who sat and honked and shouted for the two minutes it took us to get directions: that's four parents who did a lousy job with you two and I'm sure you are very well matched. God help your children.) I had to do a three-point turn as soon as there was width. Even with my car moving backwards, a group of bikers did not stop. There was a slight crunch and there is now a small mark on the bumper. Many many apologies to the pedestrian who I thought was shouting at me, but it turned out that he, too, was asking the bike guy why he couldn't wait just one minute.

So that's a rant from me. Nobody has any patience, not even for a few seconds. Note to self: not to forget that this includes me too!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks