Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 19:58   #6646
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Wastage of road space due to lane habits.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_3512.jpg
Old 1st September 2014, 20:14   #6647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

Attachment 1281420
They are gearing up for "launch" - f1 style!

Some consolation is here everyone seems stationary. Drive on an undivided highway and you see these same people in the exact same formation behind that slow moving truck. Everyone peeking out a little with the result that the last guy is almost completely in the oncoming traffic's lane.
Old 1st September 2014, 20:31   #6648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
What drives me crazy is that in most cases there is usually curbside parking available if one is willing to walk 100-200 meters to the intended destination. But people feel the need to park right in front of where they need to go even if no parking is available.
People just do not care about inconvenience caused to others. The famous "chalta hai" attitude
Exactly. There is parking available about 100mts from there, in front of Sena Vihar. Guess people don't know how to park there too!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409583690794.jpg  

Old 1st September 2014, 21:05   #6649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Since there are no lane markings wherever they are, they are in lane . I blame it on unfinished infrastructure.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:20   #6650
BHPian

The biggest frustration I have is people coming directly in front of me crossing their own lane. I really do not understand why they have to jump their lane and head towards oncoming traffic.

How far it is true i do not know, however if the signal is green for them they are entitled to do that. This is absolutely insane! Then whats the whole point in drawing those bold double lines

Since morning I must have run into at least 4 to 5 such jokers on my way to the office. As always thought of venting it out here...
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:31   #6651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The biggest frustration I have is people coming directly in front of me crossing their own lane. I really do not understand why they have to jump their lane and head towards oncoming traffic.

How far it is true i do not know, however if the signal is green for them they are entitled to do that. This is absolutely insane! Then whats the whole point in drawing those bold double lines

Since morning I must have run into at least 4 to 5 such jokers on my way to the office. As always thought of venting it out here...
calm down before you hurt yourself

this is the norm here. no matter how much we bang our chests, nothings gonna change. i drive 30kms to office, takes about an hour and half and usually my BP is up couple of notches by the time i park my car at office. lately, i've been trying not to get too worked up about the traffic, just go with the flow. in Ford DSFL program, they called it Buddha driving IIRC, which basically is defensive driving.

whooosaah

ps: smile at these dimwits, nothing irritates them more *green grinning fella*
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:51   #6652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
calm down before you hurt yourself

this is the norm here. no matter how much we bang our chests, nothings gonna change. i drive 30kms to office, takes about an hour and half and usually my BP is up couple of notches by the time i park my car at office. lately, i've been trying not to get too worked up about the traffic, just go with the flow. in Ford DSFL program, they called it Buddha driving IIRC, which basically is defensive driving.

whooosaah

ps: smile at these dimwits, nothing irritates them more *green grinning fella*

Yeah seriously! I too try completely ignoring such irritating fellas on the road these days. It's not like they are going to change. So why ruin our peace. It's a hopeless situation.

Earlier I used to have some hope like with the developments in our country, these things will improve. But now what I can see is development is happening in its own direction while some basic and fundamental things are getting worse. I think it's a very imbalanced way to progress.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:32   #6653
Senior - BHPian

Am at a loss of cuss words !!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_48928688676341.jpeg

EDIT: Ohh, the source is a page on Facebook, but I can safely say that this level of madness is pretty much everywhere on the roads.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 2nd September 2014 at 13:34. Reason: EDIT
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:48   #6654
Distinguished - BHPian

This snippet from IndiaMike, in a thread about helmets. The guy answering is a very keen biker from Australia who has plenty of experience of riding in India

Quote:
Surely the passenger hits the road at the same speed as the driver? I don't understand the difference, unless they can carefully land on the driver
Quote:
Pillion or Passenger same risk -- in Sri Lanka every body on the 2 wheeler must have a helmet, even kids -- never seen such a range of kids helmets in the shops --same traffic madness as India ( well maybe a little less frantic ), and everyone just excepts it--- so no reason why India can't be the same.
If they can get this right somewhere as nearby as Sri Lanka, then whyohwhyohwhy can't we?

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd September 2014 at 17:51.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:13   #6655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they can get this right somewhere as nearby as Sri Lanka, then whyohwhyohwhy can't we?

~
You're expecting too much in a country that recently excepted women of a certain faith from being fined for helmet-less riding on 'religious grounds'.

I don't understand what religion has got to do with road safety? Do men/women of specific religious leanings have force fields protecting their heads? I can understand the 'can't wear a helmet over a turban' argument (it's more of a practicality challenge than religious), but this whole 'religious grounds' angle is getting a bit too far.

Personal safety is LAST on most Indians' priority list, that's if it ever makes it on there in the first place.
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:58   #6656
BHPian

If only we are as risk averse with our life on the road as we are with our money! However we risk life to save some petrol money.
Old 3rd September 2014, 00:12   #6657
Distinguished - BHPian

St Francis School Bus:

This bus was dropping kids at their home and was on the Silk Board - HSR layout stretch. To drop a kid at Fernhill apartment which is on the other side of the 4L road, this is what he did,
- with busy traffic flow, he stops the bus on the right-most lane, close to the median, with hazard lights ON
- the attender and the kid gets down against the traffic on the left lane,
- then he helps the kid to cross the busy traffic on the other side.

I really didn't understand why they have to take this risk and this could be his daily routine as well. The parents also should be blamed for this kind of arrangement, if they are aware of it.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:41   #6658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Attachment 1282035

EDIT: Ohh, the source is a page on Facebook, but I can safely say that this level of madness is pretty much everywhere on the roads.
And they are smiling away gleefully with pride. A small nick is enough to have them all in the hospital. . Of-course, then the fault is not on them.
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:59   #6659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
OMG, how did the lady manage to squeeze in a place like that? Already they have exceeded the weight limitations, poor Activa. To see women driving violating all traffic rules really pains.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:06   #6660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
And they are smiling away gleefully with pride. A small nick is enough to have them all in the hospital. . Of-course, then the fault is not on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
OMG, how did the lady manage to squeeze in a place like that? Already they have exceeded the weight limitations, poor Activa. To see women driving violating all traffic rules really pains.
Please throw Physics, Laws, Gender out of the window.

This is Tripling - Level Expert !!!

Most Viewed