Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 12:32   #6676
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

An example of bad parking. Many times i have seen people parking in malls/ office complexes and they just cant seem to contain their cars within the marked grid. Check the yellow lines on the floor and the way this driver has parked the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg  

Old 8th September 2014, 12:45   #6677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
An example of bad parking. Many times i have seen people parking in malls/ office complexes and they just cant seem to contain their cars within the marked grid. Check the yellow lines on the floor and the way this driver has parked the car.
in his defense, they drew the lines after he parked the car there! this is a conspiracy

i'm done
IronH4WK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:44   #6678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Or was it a weekend that made the driver think, he can park as he wants.
Old 8th September 2014, 17:45   #6679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Or was it a weekend that made the driver think, he can park as he wants.
Nope, I'd still go with the conspiracy theory

Couple of outstanding examples of parking from last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1410178475474.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1410178492972.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1410178509425.jpg  

Old 8th September 2014, 21:58   #6680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

You visit Sahakar Nagar.. every other "educated" person would like to park at his/her convenience.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:24   #6681
Distinguished - BHPian

A few questions:

We see a lot of drivers sticking to the right lane all the time, even when driving at slow speeds. On looking for feedback from some people I am training as to the reason for this, I am told that sticking to the right lane makes them "feel safe" - there are no cars passing by close to them on the right side, which feels more comfortable.

Do you personally know of drivers who tend to stick to the right lane? Can you please ask them the following questions on my behalf?

Do any of you feel 'unsafe' when cars overtake you from the right, or even from both sides together?

Is that one likely reason why you would prefer to stick to the right lane even when not overtaking, or driving slowly?

How do you cope with that 'unsafe' feeling? What can make you feel better if you were to, say, stick to the middle or left lane?

Agreed, we label those who stick to the right lane as bad drivers, but maybe there's a reason they do it - and we can try to remove that reason in some way.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th September 2014 at 17:27.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:51   #6682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A few questions:

Do you personally know of drivers who tend to stick to the right lane? Can you please ask them the following questions on my behalf?

Do any of you feel 'unsafe' when cars overtake you from the right, or even from both sides together?
I for one even managed to catch hold of Driving school instructors who advice newbies to follow this.

"Stick to the divider.", he said, That way there is only one side to worry about. People will honk and then go around you.

Now, If this is what is thought from driving school what do you expect them to do when they come on highways and roads.
Also, while driving in middle lane they need to monitor both sides of traffic, which takes more effort, so why bother it is easier in right lane.
Anyway, they don't go beyond 80 kmph (e.g. expressway), so they always find road ahead of them clear as people zip past.

Plus folks feel that they are on one side (does not matter left or right), people can always go around them.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 9th September 2014 at 17:54.
mkpiyengar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 18:07   #6683
BHPian

Quote:
A few questions:
Nice question @ SS-Traveller

I drive between 80-90 on Mumbai-Pune Expressways in middle lane and right lane if i am overtaking a truck of pretty slow vehicle in middle lane.

I do feel safe when someone overtakes me from right as mentally i am prepared for the same.

Whenever cars overtake me from both sides together i do feel unsafe. There had been couple of close shaves on expressway were i had to slow down considerably to avoid collision with cars overtaking me together
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 18:27   #6684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to confess that the 'driver' in me is not as good as the 'rider' in me. May be due to the fact that my mileage on 4 wheels is way too less compared to the miles I have covered on motorcycles. And on that preface I found your queries rather amusing, as I sometimes have felt some of the points you have mentioned.

Now, sometimes while 'driving' in crowded slow moving traffics (20-40kmph Bangalore traffic) on 2 lane roads I have found it comfortable to stick to the right lane. This uncomfortable feeling comes to me due to the fact that I always try to forsee how the vehicle in front of me would behave in the next moment. And in quite numorous occasions when I was following a vehicle(mostly cabs, buses, rickshaws etc) on the left lane, I have been taken aback by their abrupt stopping on road sides with no indications whatsoever. This forces me to brake and merge to the right lane. And the moment I put the right indicator, all the vehicles behind me starts honking the hell out and tries to get past my car before my car tries to cut into the right lane! Believe me, this happens all the time and hence I find it comfortable to stick to the right most lane just to avoid this situation.

Having said this, I am pretty sure that I am not holding up the traffic and I will be moving as fast as the car ahead of me is moving. And I am not having this left-lane-phobia in highways.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the question you asked, but I felt like saying this here. I would like to know if its only me who is having this problem.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:01   #6685
BHPian

Quote:
A few questions:

How do you cope with that 'unsafe' feeling? What can make you feel better if you were to, say, stick to the middle or left lane?

Agreed, we label those who stick to the right lane as bad drivers, but maybe there's a reason they do it - and we can try to remove that reason in some way.
I prefer the right lane. "YES" it makes me feel safer. No I don't drive slow, I follow the average speed of the ones that are in front of me keeping a safe distance.

I don't like the middle row in city traffic. I do feel unsafe and a bit congested. I am mostly scared of the bikers that tend to overtake from both sides and they creep up without much warning.

Seen many RTAs at hospital involving bikes, so I like to keep away from them, one nudge and anything worse can happen. So for their safety. This gives me the right lane as a safety net having the divider on the right and I try not to let a bike squeeze between me and the divider unless there is a turn ahead which he has to take.

Another thing that scares me is driving past individuals who do not have their ORVMs or keep them closed. Just today I almost got squeezed between two cars with no ORVMs.

I have a busy schedule and I cant take days off. If driving on the right lane gives me better safety then so be it.
falconion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:18   #6686
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

You won't let them enjoy their stop for some street food, will you ?
It's an emergency so they had to stop like that, no conspiracy there!
Oh and such examples are simply found all over Bangalore and is way of life here so these people don't even know they're doing something wrong, aw come on now, how can they go wrong

Last edited by NPV : 9th September 2014 at 19:20.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 01:01   #6687
BHPian

Not sure if this video has been posted here before.

Old 10th September 2014, 01:31   #6688
Distinguished - BHPian

Call me a cynic... but maybe that is one for the joke thread? Why would someone have been aiming a video camera at an empty parking space.

As a joke, though, I like it

And it reminds me of occasions in Chennai at places where they pack them in that tight. A couple of times I have got back in to the car through the hatch!
Old 10th September 2014, 10:44   #6689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are asking about a 4-lane road, then I know a person - ME

I drive on the right lane, moving to the left only when I see someone coming up from behind for overtaking. The only reason : the left lane is always blocked, by some parked vehicle (at least in Kerala) - cars, bikes, autos, buses, hand pulled carts, people waiting for buses!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:44   #6690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

If you are asking about a 4-lane road, then I know a person - ME

I drive on the right lane, moving to the left only when I see someone coming up from behind for overtaking. The only reason : the left lane is always blocked, by some parked vehicle (at least in Kerala) - cars, bikes, autos, buses, hand pulled carts, people waiting for buses!!
I stick to the left lane unless the median is clear & has no bushes on it. That's because you never know what's gonna jump out from the opposite side! Can be people, animals, two wheelers trying to cross or even.. vehicles that lose control & jump the median!!
I use the right to overtake & get back to the left for my own safety! Chennai- Trichy 4 lane in particular!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks