Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 09:38   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

I continue to be astonished at those who notice what women do but seem to completely fail to notice men doing the same thing.

Hey... I notice women on the street too. In fact there are days that the streets seem full of women, the men merging into some kind of invisibility.

But it is nothing to do with their driving ability, in fact they may not even be driving at the time.

I remind myself I'm married .
Old 30th March 2009, 09:53   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I continue to be astonished at those who notice what women do but seem to completely fail to notice men doing the same thing.
I'm totally with you on this, Thad. However, I think I see a difference here: It's not that some men fail to notice men doing the same thing; it appears men are allowed to do it and women are not!
Why does the word sexist come to mind?
Old 30th March 2009, 10:16   #663
Senior - BHPian

the difference is , most men, after a few honks/flashes will stop doing whatever it is that annoys the rest. Most women, I've observed , just keep doing it, and look at you as if you are the uncivilized person who dares to honk at them. Though I have come across both men and women who drive the same way ( from a sexist pov, the typical woman driver, and the man who drives like a woman ). there are far fewer women on the road, and the absolute number of these drivers are about the same , so makes one wonder, why such a higher percentage of women drivers tend to behave like this

Last edited by greenhorn : 30th March 2009 at 10:19.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:04   #664
Senior - BHPian

from past few months it seems that ahmedabad corporation;s AMTS drivers seems to be racing with delhi bus drivers as more and more numbers of mishaps happening by them and killing people through their driving, wasent that bad as its now.
Old 30th March 2009, 23:34   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
... ... It's not that some men fail to notice men doing the same thing; it appears men are allowed to do it and women are not!
Why does the word sexist come to mind?
Good point!

I hadn't thought of it like that.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:27   #666
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Hey... I notice women on the street too. In fact there are days that the streets seem full of women, the men merging into some kind of invisibility.
What true-blooded driver would notice other men? Unless he was driving an exotic? Like a Bolero or a Classic or something similar?

Last edited by hrag : 31st March 2009 at 00:29.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:59   #667
BHPian

In Calcutta Anarchy Rules!

The bus drivers are bent on becoming LeMans drivers and too many have no disregard for human life. 95% of the auto-rickshaws are 2 strokes that are killing the city and rule the streets and politicians.

The best way to survive is to consider the streets as one big Demolition Derby!

Having said that, it is an invigorating place enter into the Rat Race of life.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:59   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Aunty drivers. Drive at their own pace on the right lane.

Hmm. I dont think so. I never use the side mirrors and have nevr caused any trouble to anyone.

I have no side mirrors on my Padmini and have never caused problems. The point is you have to be extremly alert in such case and always have a good knowledge of whos behind you at all times. And when changing lanes or pulling out, I always have a quick look at the back to check if eerythings clear.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:01   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Aunty drivers. Drive at their own pace on the right lane.

Hmm. I dont think so. I never use the side mirrors and have nevr caused any trouble to anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Really?? So u keep turning ur head back everytime u have to change lanes?
I would feel practically blind if i were to drive with my side mirror folded! Usually at night i have to turn the side mirror down a little to avoid the headlights being reflected from it.... and even that makes me a bit uneasy.
I believe its something you have to get used to...Practice makes perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I guess am jus a bit over cautious then. And i dont have a good rear view mirror.

Anyways, getting this thread back on track, another symptom of over confident (read rash or potentially dangerous) driver: Talking on the cellphone while driving. Heck i see even people driving two wheelers talking on the cellphone!!
Agreed.
And above that, they would slow down since they are pre occupied making that very important million doller deal over the phone while driving.
And in turn slowing you down. I usually keep honking coz I know he cant hear anything and the only way to stop me is by dropping that call or pulling over on the side. I am actually doing them a fovour by helping them avoid accident. Atleast thats how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
No no no, I 'll be in the right queue at the lights - some chump comes up close on my right in the path of oncoming traffic, trying to cut in (all this at at near stationery situation - thechump tries to be aggressive and cut in, his door is in arm's reach of me, I give a soft thump which panic stops him and take off

I agree not very clever but these guys get on my goat. Since you guys think it is a form of road rage, I will need to mend my ways on this one !
Point to be added.
Please keep away from drivers beating against your door if you try to cut them off.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st May 2009 at 20:08. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote. Thanks
Old 31st May 2009, 08:13   #670
BHPian

Recently saw this, gentlemen did not even realize that his boot was open..
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-30042009294.jpg  

Old 31st May 2009, 08:53   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Gentlemen - The rear window is small and to have a grand view of the cars coming in the rear the door has been opened
Old 31st May 2009, 15:16   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
, I was probably driving in 100 or 110 km/h in the middle lane , and suddenly a truck comes in front of me from the left hand side and i had to brake realy hard .

Sir, even though the NH1 is well laid out but at speeds above say around 80kmph you should had been driving in the right most lane (along the divider). Speeds like 100-110kmph in the middle lane will definately get you in trouble atleast as long as you are driving in India.

Regards.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:50   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
That dude is enjoying a super clear rear view. I think he must have thought he woke up and his mirror has become a magic mirror all of a sudden!
Old 1st June 2009, 12:39   #674
Senior - BHPian

At times, I drive with a cigareete too. That does not make me reckless. I understand it kils my senses yet this is not instant. And with all the hype about the No tobacco day I might just call it the quits.

Aunty Drivers. What does that actually mean.

The worst kind of drivers are the ones that drive heavy vehicles. They have nothing to loose and this is their profession, occupation and a place to sit way above the rest of the crowd. There should be a system that enables penalty points that can be added to their license and making renewal difficult if it exceeds a precribed level.
Old 1st June 2009, 13:33   #675
BHPian

Kids riding their dad's/unle's 2 wheeler is a scary thing. I slow down to a crawl if i see any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks