Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 14:09   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Recently saw this, gentlemen did not even realize that his boot was open..
That there is the latest wind spoiler.
You see, the faster you drive the more wind resistance builds on the spoiler, That forces the "Wind Spoiler" to move further down and adjust the down force at the rear to keep it optimal. The actual door is removed for weight reduction and to compensate for the spoiler.
Sorry for going off topic.. cant help it.
Old 1st June 2009, 23:47   #677
BHPian

i go by my conviction while judging bad drivers.i dont know if these points have been added or not:
1)some people get really close to youeven though not at very high speeds just at slow speeds,not because they are driving rash,just because they are lost somewhere,in their office or whatever,because they wake up only after that THUD..
i stay particularly away from them
2)women drivers who are eager to literally climb on their steering wheels,i mean they look so alert but 90% of the times they arent aware of the car behind honking for side or that they had just crossed a crossing stupidly causing 3 other cars to skid.
3) mechanics and other worker kind of guys on their scooters,they are the ones who cause the scratches,i am afraid of them coming close to me.
4)you can guess from the car,if its badly dented,dingy,with scratches all around,its sure it gonna have another dent very soon.
like: i have this guy who owns swift lxi in my appartment and his ride is so badly dented,all the bumpers,fenders badly bruised in,it feels like you really have to think how he managed to get a particular dent.that guy hit my dad's car while parking and a few days back he hit mine too while parking..damn!!
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:25   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Recently saw this, gentlemen did not even realize that his boot was open..
Today I saw another in the same category.. driving a NHC.. Boot lid was dancing around, couldn't really click a snap, was on a fast city road, and this guy was ahead of me..
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:34   #679

Yellow Board shuttle Cabs

Just an addition.. Now a days in bangalore its a flood of yellow board cabs which are carrying local people (Not assigned employees). They stop anywhere on the road and people come out of all possible doors. Specially when the right door opens its becomes a hazard for other vehcls which are behind. on last sat i lost 1 side light glass (Left one) with some scraches on my bike when a cab suddenly stopped in front or innovative multiplex and after some time some one suddenly opened the right door to get down. *** How to spot these cabs ????** They will be filled/packed .. comletely filled.. with the driver 2 people will sitting. in the middle row -4 and 4 to 5 on the jump seats.. There will not be any security person .. generally these cabs are found in morining time when they report to the companies.. How ever police is charging them big time now a day but they can spot them out only when they pick up/drop passengers from the bus stand..but these cabs stops anywhere.. I hope this helps all..

Regards,
Karim Bhai
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:37   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
also what about female riders riding activa which compared is a heavy scooter to scooty or kinetic, which in traffic they somehow cant balance themselves not the activa.
With due respect to women, irrespective of whether I am driving a car or a bike, and come across a lady driving (again irrespective of a car or a scooter), I remain extra cautious and give her a wide berth. Their reaction times are usually slower and when they do react, they over react IMHO. And in case of a bump, everyone will gang up on you!

With regard to two wheeler riders in general, I can almost always spot a person who can also drive a car, as against one who can only drive a two wheeler simply by observing the riding style. I always keep my distance from the latter type.

No need to mention about heavy vehicle / suv drivers. The unwritten law of Indian roads is "bigger the better, and biggest is best"! But once something happens, it is exactly the opposite. The driver of the bigger vehicle is then the under dog in the eyes of the public! No prizes for guessing the under dog in the following situations: a.Cyclist hits pedestrian, b. Biker hits cyclist, c. Car hits bike, and d. Van/Lorry hits car!
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:22   #681
Senior - BHPian

one thing i get surprised is to see drivers taking that turns left to right or right to left, either way take a long long space and cover much more then needed ground to take that turn which somehow disracts the traffic as well as people coming from other way towards there, hope i managed to make what i mean
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:02   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The driver of the bigger vehicle is then the under dog in the eyes of the public! No prizes for guessing the under dog in the following situations: a.Cyclist hits pedestrian, b. Biker hits cyclist, c. Car hits bike, and d. Van/Lorry hits car!
Oops! That should have been "The driver of the smaller vehicle is then the under dog". Sorry for the additional post, could not find the edit button!
Old 30th June 2009, 14:16   #683
BHPian

I really hate these autorickshaw drivers. Whenever they move after being parked on the side of the road. Normally one would see if there is traffic approaching then move. These idiots first move, then turn their head to see if any traffic is approaching. I've seen these time and time again. Oh yes, this includes the taxi drivers as well.
Old 30th June 2009, 14:54   #684
BHPian

I keep seeing these bad drivers during my weekend drives to mysore my hometown in dozens and by their attitude you can make out. Their approach, driving style and also the vehicle to some extent
Old 30th June 2009, 15:06   #685
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
I really hate these autorickshaw drivers. Whenever they move after being parked on the side of the road. Normally one would see if there is traffic approaching then move. These idiots first move, then turn their head to see if any traffic is approaching.
Atleast they put out their heads in Bombay. Here in Bangalore, they just start and zoom into oncoming traffic. No looking left/right, no hand signals, nothing!!!
Old 30th June 2009, 17:08   #686
BHPian

auto drivers and also the cab drivers. for that matter, most of these yellow board vehicle drivers are a pain on the roads. lately, drivers of these mini transport vehicles like Ape are another bunch of maniacs! i wonder if these vehicles even have a low beam option, or the low beams are so bright
Old 1st July 2009, 14:24   #687
BHPian

watch out for car and driver like these,disaster waiting to strike

the driver was even smoking while driving
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-27062009056.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-27062009055.jpg  

Old 14th July 2009, 16:04   #688
Senior - BHPian

Some more bad drivers

Hi all,

I would like to contribute to the list of ways to spot bad drivers. I am 99% sure that these have not been mentioned till now.

1. I stay in Bangalore, but was in Gurgaon for some official work. On my way to office, I saw a girl having breakfast in her moving maruti alto. Nothing wrong about eating in a moving car, except she was the one driving the car at that time !

Talk about multitasking.

2. I saw a black coloured santro in Bangalore. It had tinted glasses. Again nothing extraordinary, except that the windsheild was also tinted !

How do you drive with a tinted windsheild in the night ?

3. I have a good friend who owns a pulsar and a swift. He gets really irritated when some pulsar guy dangerously overtakes him from the wrong side when he is driving the swift. He would crib endlessly about how 2-wheeler drivers in Bangalore don't have any road sense. The funny part is, he does the same when he is driving his pulsar !

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 14th July 2009, 16:28   #689
srinivas9446

recently, i was forced to drive down to Panthnagar in UTTARANCHAL from Delhi airport with my friend.

It was an innova with lots of scrapes everywhere...name the place...you can see the scrape...Intially, i was busy talking with my friend, since we met after couple of years. As we settled down, i was shocked to see that this driver of the innova is driving without a rear view mirror and the ORVM on the righ side...Shockingly he had only the ORVM on the left hand side...he was driving using only this mirror...i asked him, why no mirrors, he says in HINDI -----MERA ANKH KAFI HAI SIR !

Old 14th July 2009, 16:58   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi all,

I would like to contribute to the list of ways to spot bad drivers. I am 99% sure that these have not been mentioned till now.
Add to that, In Pune, cab drivers (generally) used to chew HANS (a kind of a tobacco), the way they prepare that is horrible to look at, that too while driving, they take some of it in left hand and keep it in left hand palm and rub it using the right index finger and add some calcium and then keep it in mouth. All these process during driving the indicas at 80s and 90s.

Most Viewed