Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 01:35   #6901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
what do you do with nincompoops like this

Attachment 1093183

i'm coming from the opposite direction and this fellow and a half is trying overtaking the i20 and the car in front of it whilst talking on the phone!!
Give him a tube of feviquick to stick the damn cellphone on his ear. At least his hand wont be occupied to hold it. Too many of these in my place. I even offered one a tube of the glue and the idiot was grinning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^That is standard driving system in Chennai for buses/cabbies and some private cars/bikes. To take a right turn at an upcoming junction, drive on the left-most lane making people think that you are either turning left (or going straight at best), reach the front of the traffic waiting to go straight and then go around them to the rightmost lane.
Not just your place this is everywhere. These people think they're real smart.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th October 2014 at 02:30.
Old 27th October 2014, 15:39   #6902
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

My pet peeve is people driving down the road, in the opposite direction with their high beams on. Right. Because you NEED high beams on, when street lamps, etc, are around, and you're in the middle of the city. So very, very annoying.

Bonus points if the "gentleman" has super high-powered headlights for a city car.

Maximum points go to the lovely people who think they need every single one of their Hellas on during rush hour. Seriously?
Old 27th October 2014, 16:20   #6903
Senior - BHPian

I guess this news belongs here - Racer Thimmaiyah booked for 18 traffic offences
Quote:
Around 6 pm, a sedan with registration number KA22N345 was see travelling the wrong way up a one-way street near Cantonment Railway Station Bridge towards Hosanagar. The traffic cops attempted to stop the car but the driver immediately did a U-turn and sped off in the other direction.

Meanwhile sub-inspector T R Srinivas who was at the scene said, "I heard a sound from my constable on seeing the speeding car heading towards Nandidurga Road. I took my bike and chased the car along with a constable who was riding pillion. He knew I was chasing him but still he did not stop his car, in fact he drove faster."

He added: "Once he reached Nandidurga he had to stop as he had nowhere else to go. He then got out of the car and apologised saying he would never do it again."
Quote:
However when asked for the vehicle's documents the driver could not produce either the RC book, insurance or even a driving license.

Eighteen cases were booked against him and he was fined Rs 3,800. The charges included driving against traffic, crossing a median line, taking a prohibited U-turn, overtaking from the left, running from the police, not wearing a safety belt, speeding, refusing to stop for police, et al.
Old 27th October 2014, 19:15   #6904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Stupid driver on suicide spree, Indigo driver tried to overtake me on a very sharp turn from my left at high speed. Well, I did not relent and he screeched like a tractor.

Not my headache dude, you don't overtake a vehicle from wrong side on sharp turns no matter what the excuse is.
Bravo. That's how they'll learn. If I were you I would have made him land into a ditch or the curb at least.
Old 27th October 2014, 21:00   #6905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count510 View Post
Bravo. That's how they'll learn. If I were you I would have made him land into a ditch or the curb at least.
Alternatively, he would've slammed into the side of your precious car and given you a substantial headache.

If there's an idiot on the road, just relent. No need to get pulled into their circus.
Stiggy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 21:37   #6906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Alternatively, he would've slammed into the side of your precious car and given you a substantial headache.

If there's an idiot on the road, just relent. No need to get pulled into their circus.
I said MADE him land........least. Wouldn't have made him hit another car.
Old 27th October 2014, 23:20   #6907
BHPian

Quote:
I said MADE him land........least. Wouldn't have made him hit another car.
In panic, who knows what an untrained driver might do.
Old 27th October 2014, 23:31   #6908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
In panic, who knows what an untrained driver might do.
Well if he's untrained, what is he doing on the road in the first place and that too, speeding? Let us all consider our own safety, that way all would be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor View Post
I do this 3 kms of straight run every day from home to work (Noida - Indian Oil to Nimbus Hyundai). There is this female Dr. (I see a stethoscope plus red Cross sticker on her rear windscreen) in a 3~4 yr old Zen.

She drives with both the rear view mirrors folded-in and with no regard to what is hapenning around her (have seen a lotsa guys giving her the finger but I am sure she would not even notice). I try to keep my safe distance of at least 3~4 meters from her.
Lol. She surely has a liking for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc_cool View Post
these are the guys who are probably talking on the phone, changing cassettes/cds/radio stations on their music systems, rolling their windows up/down and trying to get a swig of water all at the same time!
Why talk of others, my brother does that all the time-- talking on the mobile, drinking water, fiddling with the music system, abusing other motorists, he does that all at the same time! Oh I forgot, over-speeding too! Sigh...he's a genius! Makes it all seem as if he was in his garden and not the road.

Mod Note : Please use the MULTI-QUOTE option instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th October 2014 at 02:34. Reason: Please read the mod note in your post, thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:10   #6909
Senior - BHPian

Was a bit surprised reading this news article about Den's traffic violations.

http://kannadigaworld.com/news/karnataka/110771.html

For those of you who don't know Den Thimmaiah, he is a pretty famous driver in the South Indian rally scene.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:25   #6910
BHPian

Today morning when i was driving down to work, I was waiting at a T junction to take a right turn. Now there goes this cop in front of my car on his bike...this is not unusual-but he was checking his mobile and riding at the same time. now that is a perfect example of a BAD driver and a BAD Cop

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 28th October 2014 at 12:26.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:27   #6911
BHPian

"The time the officer knew that I was a rallyist, and had taken part in many autocross rallies, I was treated indifferently.”

What was he expecting?
omar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:43   #6912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
"The time the officer knew that I was a rallyist, and had taken part in many autocross rallies, I was treated indifferently."

What was he expecting?
He wanted Preferential treatment which these celebrities think they are entitled to all the time. Good to see police didn't relented.

Being a rally driver he should be more aware of law of the land and should be abiding the rules and regulations. Instead he chose to ignore the rules and even tried running endangering lives of others. Good that media highlighted it so now he will be more careful on public roads. I have no sympathy for such people.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:09   #6913
BHPian

Quote:
Well if he's untrained, what is he doing on the road in the first place and that too, speeding? Let us all consider our own safety, that way all would be safe.
Taking into consideration the "test" required to get our drivers license, I can safely say that I don't trust a fair few of the drivers on India's roads.

Also, again, remember, panic makes people do silly things. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend trying to run someone into a ditch/tree/lamp-post/what have you, or even thinking about the same.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:19   #6914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
He wanted Preferential treatment which these celebrities think they are entitled to all the time. Good to see police didn't relented.

Being a rally driver he should be more aware of law of the land and should be abiding the rules and regulations. Instead he chose to ignore the rules and even tried running endangering lives of others. Good that media highlighted it so now he will be more careful on public roads. I have no sympathy for such people.
They should have put him behind bars for running away from the cops. Not just a fine of around Rs.4k. Going a little further, should have barred him from rallies too, not sure how but that is got to teach this 'famous' guy a lesson or two and some manners too. I hate these show offs.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 15:12   #6915
Team-BHP Support

And he has the cheek to say he 'humbly' accepted his mistakes. Humble after he tried to outrun the cops and got caught?

Ace rally driver or not, if that's how he behaves on public roads, he's an ace idiot for sure. Should've had his license confiscated on the spot instead of minuscule fines. Kudos to the traffic cop for not caring for 'reputation' though
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed