Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:22   #6961
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

ITPL Road - the stretch between Zuri and Hoodi circle almost always entails a 5 minute wait (at least) because of the signal, but then we have so many people in emergencies who can't afford to wait and hence this scene is common - scoot on the wrong side and make a right turn after the BP petrol pump

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-heroes1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-heroes2.jpg

And new heroes are born here everyday!

Last edited by NPV : 2nd November 2014 at 18:33.
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:10   #6962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Maybe I'm a bit daft, but when someone yells profanities or hurls abuse, I smile and wave. They LOVE that
If I were you, I wouldnt do that. Its blooms the bad driver in the person driving and he might do something more rasher than before. He is sure to feel taunted and teased. I would suggest maintain a wooden face and move along.
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:20   #6963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If I were you, I wouldnt do that. Its blooms the bad driver in the person driving and he might do something more rasher than before. He is sure to feel taunted and teased. I would suggest maintain a wooden face and move along.
I never really do that down here, but in Singapore, where there is no scope of "purposefully" rash driving, I don't mind. The extent to which the law prosecutes there is astounding.

Then again,
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:40   #6964
BHPian

One more category of bad drivers I can think of is people who spit while driving. Not only they are off balance while doing this, they ruin the day of the person following them!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44989614.cms

"PUNE: The Pune City Motor Driving Schools Association on Thursday raised an objection on some of the questions asked in the online test meant to obtain learner's licence. They complained that of the 450 questions in the test, more than 100 were either irrelevant or had wrong answers as options."

The problem is not just about bad drivers. With online exams, question is who set these papers? If the foundation is weak, how are they going to build a strong edifice?

I remember, in 1990 when I went for my learning license exam, the question papers were multiple choice questions where you circle the correct answer. My question paper was erased and reused where I could still the options selected by the earlier examinee. Pathetic. Can't they provide fresh paper to every applicant when they take money for this? No change even after so many years

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd November 2014 at 09:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
CoolCarNi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:23   #6965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
One more category of bad drivers I can think of is people who spit while driving. Not only they are off balance while doing this, they ruin the day of the person following them!
Sometimes they kill their families too. Can't imagine a bigger price to pay for a stupid act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Heights of stupidity!! Sad that the family had to pay the price for one man's idiotic actions.

Quote:
7 die in road accident on way to Hardwar

LUCKNOW: In a road accident a family of seven including three kids died on way to Hardwar late Friday in Meerut district. Harendra Prakash, a resident of Sector 18, Noida left his residence with seven family members in the evening in a car to take a dip in Ganga in Haridwar via Meerut. Around 9.50pm, Prakash opened the door of the car to spit. At that time he was crossing the Gangnahar (canal) and lost control on the wheel.

"The car smashed the bridge wall and plunged into the river while Prakash somehow slipped out of it before the collision," said S S Yadav, in charge of Jani PS. All the seven that included Prakash's mother Rakesh Devi (53), brother Sachin (29), wife Manju (28), sister-in-law Suman (25) and his two kids and niece were feared drowned. The three kids were under five years of age.

Source - http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...war-three-kids
Old 5th November 2014, 12:28   #6966
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed an awful specimen today on BTM Layout ORR.
This guy in a civic was in constant whatsapp conversation with god knows who. All the while he was constantly messaging and was not even aware of his surroundings, he only moved when people started honking at him.
Old 5th November 2014, 12:45   #6967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This guy in a civic was in constant whatsapp conversation with god knows who. All the while he was constantly messaging and was not even aware of his surroundings, he only moved when people started honking at him.
I see this kind of people everyday here in Gurgaon. Also a special mention to all those very busy people who are constantly talking on the phone on a road like NH-8 where a slight miscalculation will surely lead to an accident.

Surprisingly, 9 out of 10 such people are educated working class who surely know that they are wrong and what can be the consequences but they just do not seem to care.
Old 10th November 2014, 00:28   #6968
Senior - BHPian

KA-05-MC-5004 silver Lancer sporting genuine LTD on the rear bumper. You need to look around before you join the main road from a smaller road. I had to brake hard to let you complete your utterly idiotic and stupid move - joining the main road at high speed that too without looking around for other vehicles.

IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 09:43   #6969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Cannot understand the logic of doing multitasking on a busy road (driving cum messaging). It's a shame that the educated class indulges in such activities. More than education, i think these people lack COMMON SENSE.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:28   #6970
BHPian

Not a 'bad driver' but an idiotic, stupid, moron, foolish, brainless etc etc guy:

Scene#1: Mum-Pune expressway. I am in the middle lane, a brand new Honda City zooms past and overtakes me. It must be doing atleast 100+. What is haunting me till now is the scene that a kid was half out from the car's sunroof! I mean, how can a person have negative common sense? A kid out of sunroof at 100+kmph is the most dangerous thing to witness. Even a small pebble flying across will become a projectile and hit the kid like a bullet, forget the emergency braking part or even a minor braking.

Scene#2: Lalbaugh area. Mercedes ML350. 4(!) kids out of sunroof. Not partially out but almost sitting ON top!

These 2 incidents made me realise that traffic sense (or rather common sense) won't improve here for the next 100 years atleast.

Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:15   #6971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Not a 'bad driver' but an idiotic, stupid, moron, foolish, brainless etc etc guy:

Scene#1: Mum-Pune expressway. I am in the middle lane, a brand new Honda City zooms past and overtakes me. It must be doing atleast 100+. What is haunting me till now is the scene that a kid was half out from the car's sunroof! I mean, how can a person have negative common sense? A kid out of sunroof at 100+kmph is the most dangerous thing to witness. Even a small pebble flying across will become a projectile and hit the kid like a bullet, forget the emergency braking part or even a minor braking.

Scene#2: Lalbaugh area. Mercedes ML350. 4(!) kids out of sunroof. Not partially out but almost sitting ON top!

These 2 incidents made me realise that traffic sense (or rather common sense) won't improve here for the next 100 years atleast.

Based on what you have described, i see no difference between committing suicide and what the kids have done.
Old 10th November 2014, 13:21   #6972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Based on what you have described, i see no difference between committing suicide and what the kids have done.
Kids are at no fault. They are not aware of the dangers. I pity those educated(?) parents who allow their kids to do this.
Old 10th November 2014, 19:00   #6973
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, this certainly is bad driving as well as "idiotic, stupid, moron, foolish, brainless etc etc..." The driver is responsible for the safety of their passengers.

An amusing aside on that, a conversation between me and Mrs G on taking out maid in the car...

Mrs... She will not know how to use a seat belt, she may not be comfortable.

Me... Look, I have had an Octagenarian, Padma Sri, Sangeetha Kalanidhi in the car, and I insisted he wore a seat belt, so...

Joking (but it is a true story) aside, I am horrified by what Dodge_Viper saw. That is really shocking.
Old 13th November 2014, 21:03   #6974
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

ITPL road just before the Hoodi signal - This truck blocked traffic behind him completely for about 3-4 minutes before moving a little to barely let one vehicle squeeze past.
Once traffic started moving in front of me, I just stayed put at a safe distance till he completed his U-turn.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-blocker.jpg

During a weekend trip on my return journey, there was heavy traffic on the Omalur-Hosur stretch and it was a crawl in the ghats due to heavily overloaded trucks hogging all the lanes.
The Bangalore bound cars were in their usual tearing hurry and tried all kinds of tricks to move ahead. There was this Innova (seemed like a politico from the green patch on the registration plate that said Member of something) behind my car who was flashing lights like crazy and there was no way I could let him pass, was myself behind a slow moving truck and no space for safely overtaking anywhere.
But the prize must go to an alto with a "L" board driven by a youngster who definitely looked scared in that scenario surrounded by trucks and mad car drivers. The person was getting instructed by 3 elders in the car who seemed to creating more confusion than anything else with their backseat driving.

Last edited by NPV : 13th November 2014 at 21:05.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 01:18   #6975
BHPian

Near miss for me this evening. I took right turn from NH8 towards Noida sector 62. I have been taking this route for past 2+ years when I go visiting my in-laws. While turning right, I was also keeping an eye on the left side mirror for the vehicles on the left. As I turned right and looked straight ahead - to my horror there was a cab coming straight at me! I managed to avoid an accident with the cab just in time. I have a feeling, for the cab driver it was just another day and another near miss which he couldn't care less.

Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks