Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 13:12   #7156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Beat that Guys. This gentlemen was driving with his bonnet open in Jammu few days back. This has resulted in a one km long jam behind him. I don't know how to comprehend the logic behind his adventure. May be an overheated engine in chilly Jammu
This is Epic. I guess he was trying to compensate for the lack of oxygen in that altitude!
Old 8th January 2015, 13:46   #7157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's decades ago now, and I have no idea if it is still true of today's engines, but people used to say that 50MPH is the most economical on petrol speed. That's 80kph.
Driving at 80 kmph consistently not only returns good FE of the car but also better control of the vehicle, more reaction time to judge vehicles ahead of you.
I follow this habit even while driving on NH
Old 8th January 2015, 14:41   #7158
BHPian

Quote:
It's decades ago now, and I have no idea if it is still true of today's engines, but people used to say that 50MPH is the most economical on petrol speed. That's 80kph.
For my AT cruze, ~90 kmph on 5th gear shows the highest mileage on console in range of 20+. Next best is 120kmph on 6th gear with a mileage of 18+.

These are instantaneous figures and my average has never gone above 15.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 15:14   #7159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
Hahaha!! I think the ad painted on the wall says-"What an idea sir ji!!"
Or
An idea can change your life!!!
AP state road transport corporation volvos have quite heavy metal bodies that tend to overheat badly, so that I keep seeing their buses with the engine cover at the back of the bus hauled up and tied to the back of the bus with a string. Feels somehow indecent to do that in a superb machine like a volvo B9R.

The same with some of those big "load autos" - 10 seater / light truck style autos that have rear engines.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:27   #7160
Senior - BHPian

Two lane road. I see a biker in the distance on the opposite lane behaving a bit weirdly. Alarm signal went up and i gave him a honk.

He then looked up from his mobile which he was using to text or god knows what while riding his bike with wife sitting in the back who was also seriously looking at his phone over his shoulder!

God save them.

Oh and no helmets :(
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 20:00   #7161
D C
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
What do you do when your indicators dont work? You hang a body out of the car.
I wonder what will he do when turning right!

This was a regular practice in the old days, say about 2 to 3 decades back.
There were Mahindra "jeeps" ferrying people on rural areas which are not connected by bus or any other public transportation systems. They all had assistants who do these jobs hanging from the right, left or back!

I heard about people who are passionately maintaining vintage cars in mint condition, perhaps this guy is interested in decades old practice and found it hard to let go.

Last edited by D C : 8th January 2015 at 20:01.
Old 9th January 2015, 10:14   #7162
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
This was a regular practice in the old days, say about 2 to 3 decades back.
There were Mahindra "jeeps" ferrying people on rural areas which are not connected by bus or any other public transportation systems. They all had assistants who do these jobs hanging from the right, left or back!
Still a common sight in North Kerala. The assistant will be standing on top of the rear indicator most times which will have a small guard on which he can stand.

Would not be surprising to see driver with half his body hanging out as well
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 14:59   #7163
Senior - BHPian

Continuing the saga of drivers with kids in their lap while driving, spotted this fellow with a grown kid on his lap at a signal. The passenger also had a kid on his lap and neither driver or the passenger were belted.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420968405.101379.jpg

You would think these people might be not highly educated (not that it makes a difference), but guess what - the car had HP parking sticker!
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 23:23   #7164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it's about engine alone. As far as I understand, wind resistance / aerodynamics come into play above 80 kmph and reduces the FE at higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Beat that Guys. This gentlemen was driving with his bonnet open in Jammu few days back. This has resulted in a one km long jam behind him. I don't know how to comprehend the logic behind his adventure. May be an overheated engine in chilly Jammu.
How could he see anything other than his bonnet and drive too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
... Alarm signal went up and i gave him a honk. ...
That's roots "VibraSonic" model horn? Sounds pretty loud.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 08:01   #7165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I doubt it's about engine alone. As far as I understand, wind resistance / aerodynamics come into play above 80 kmph and reduces the FE at higher speeds.

How could he see anything other than his bonnet and drive too ?

At higher engine RPM, the frictional force also increases. So to reduce the friction more fuel is required to quench the heat. This explains why we get a lesser fuel efficiency at very high speeds.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 09:28   #7166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
You would think these people might be not highly educated (not that it makes a difference), but guess what - the car had HP parking sticker!
Education (or rather certification - as I'd like to put it) has nothing to do with road sense does it? Wonder how he is able to control the car with that grown up kid. Makes me wonder.., was the kid driving rather than the guy? I'm sure there won't be enough room for him to turn the wheel easily.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:38   #7167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

No idea. Factory fitted horn on the linea tjet.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 09:54   #7168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
At higher engine RPM, the frictional force also increases. So to reduce the friction more fuel is required to quench the heat.
Why would more fuel be burnt to cool the engine? Wouldnt the cooling mechanism (coolant/radiator/fan) do the trick? Also am guessing at higher speeds (unless one is redlining the engine constantly) outside air rams into the air dam thus making for better cooling, which does not happen in stop/start conditions and perhaps lead to overheating.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:50   #7169
Team-BHP Support

Beat this!

Sunday afternoon, Bangalore-Mysore highway (somewhere before Ramanagaram), two cars (a silver Verna and a beige i10) are stationary, blocking the left lane (and part of the right lane) bang in the middle of a sweeping right-hander. Two cars ahead of me had to swerve dangerously to avoid ramming them, and guess what the idiots were up to? Both cars apparently traveling together full of family and luggage, discussing the next pit-stop.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:33   #7170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Two lane road. I see a biker in the distance on the opposite lane behaving a bit weirdly. Alarm signal went up and i gave him a honk.

He then looked up from his mobile which he was using to text or god knows what while riding his bike with wife sitting in the back who was also seriously looking at his phone over his shoulder!

God save them.
Oh I think their luck will run out soon :(

OT - how did you mask the faces on those people? What video editing tool did you use? PM me please machan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks