Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 17:38   #7186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

What is this weird affinity between petty politicians and extra loud horns? This dude has four external horn speakers fitted on his front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20150117_173307.jpg  

hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 18:34   #7187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What is this weird affinity between petty politicians and extra loud horns? This dude has four external horn speakers fitted on his front bumper.
May be to bully the road user ahead of him or just to show off that he is a politician and above law.
Old 17th January 2015, 19:33   #7188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This can be found in TN & KL in more number. And the car's they are fitted on are those of politicians, or some self proclaimed VIP.
They use these horns to make a free path ahead since they do not have sirens or a pilot car, but they think they are VIP still.
And those type of horns, especially 4 of them are so loud that anyone will go and wring the drivers neck if he honks too long.
Old 18th January 2015, 22:18   #7189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
And those type of horns, especially 4 of them are so loud that anyone will go and wring the drivers neck if he honks too long.
Not to mention the fact that it can startle people in a very dangerous manner. I have seen couple of accidents caused by two wheelers skidding because they got startled by a sudden loud honk from behind.
Old 18th January 2015, 23:07   #7190
Senior - BHPian

When it rains bad drivers, it pours. Today this guy on a motorcycle ahead of me was smoking, and every so often he would take his hand with the lit cigarette off his handlebar, take a drag on his cigarette and then get his hand back into position. Crazy.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:20   #7191
Senior - BHPian

Hate it when you stop to let pedestrians cross the road at unmarked points and then they proceed to take their own sweet time to cross :(

Edit: I think i am going slightly out of control with the dash cam vids but can't seem to stop :P

What is a good software to edit out the audio track? And can i add my own audio track to it? And how to add comments/captions on the video? Noob here, so please help.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 19th January 2015 at 10:23.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 11:10   #7192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What is a good software to edit out the audio track? And can i add my own audio track to it? And how to add comments/captions on the video? Noob here, so please help.
Try Windows Movie Maker - it comes as standard in Windows 8. Earlier I used AVS Video Editor - it is really good, but you need to pay for a license. It is not free.
Old 19th January 2015, 11:23   #7193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hate it when you stop to let pedestrians cross the road at unmarked points and then they proceed to take their own sweet time to cross :(
Most of them are not used to having been allowed to cross the road. Instead, they are used to being honked at, bullied and cussed at. So they enjoy a relaxed walk when good-hearted souls like you show some compassion

Quote:
I think i am going slightly out of control with the dash cam vids but can't seem to stop :P
Happens. Some people end up posting completely irrelevant stuff, just for the sake of posting, only because their membership got approved after an umpteen tries; you are not that kind, so relax.

Quote:
AFAIR, Youtube itself lets you do that. Else, try Windoze Moviemaker. If you can run Ubuntu, there are quite a few free applications that let you do all sorts of editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Try Windows Movie Maker - it comes as standard in Windows 8.
Windoze Moviemaker started coming as standard from WinME (or was it XP?) onwards, AFAIK
Old 19th January 2015, 12:33   #7194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that perfectly normal for Chennai! I regularly wait longer than that, and I personally felt they crossed just fine - I felt you were driving much closer to them than I would do (or maybe its the dashcam perspective)

Of course with a HR regd vehicle, I am totally paranoid but I'd rather not offend a single pedestrian as far as I reasonably can (even if autos/bikers behind me start honking etc).
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 12:35   #7195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Deathwalkr- I observe that the road was a small bylane with no footpath. Also the pedestrians were walking fast enough. I do not see any reason for complaint. While driving on such small bylanes it is the responsibility of two/four wheelers to give way to pedestrians and have patience.
DieselFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 13:20   #7196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it is the responsibility of two/four wheelers to give way to pedestrians and have patience.
Absolutely. There is no reason for pedestrians to cross at any more than their usual walking speed. It's only a few seconds of waiting time for drivers.

However, there is plenty of bad pedestrianing that I rant about!

Examples include:

---Wandering across roads in fast moving traffic, appearing not to care even for their own safety.

---Walking in the main carriageway when there is a safe service road.

---Walking on the road when there is a pavement.

---Walking two, three four or more abreast, on the road, whether there is a pavement or not.

---Looking astonished, and even aggressive, when honked at in these circumstances.

I'm very much for Pedestrian Rights, especially in this city where the designers and engineers never gave them a thought. But there's plenty of pedestrian wrongs too.

Final thought: It is not us and them. Although there are some people who try to drive their vehicles right up to the door of the destination, and some two-wheelers who would probably drive inside if they could , we are all pedestrians when we are not driving.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 14:12   #7197
BHPian

I have been in umpteen instances where the pedestrians, walking on the road in-spite of the fact that there is a footpath available with no hawkers on it. Have to mention the no-hawkers part since here in Pune, it is a rare sight for a hawker-free footpath.

Some pedestrians go on walking blocking your car even after you blow the horn multiple times. I used to get very annoyed earlier but now I beep once or twice to indicate that I am waiting to get space to move ahead and then just follow the guy at a safe distance.

For pedestrians crossing the road, I make sure that I stop well ahead of their path. Sometimes even if you have the intention of stopping but they feel that you might not stop (due to your speed not reducing at a fast rate) then they get confused and then you get confused.

Living in a city where the oncoming vehicle increases its speed if you want to cross the road instead of allowing you to safe cross over, has made me more understanding of the issues faced by pedestrians.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 11:35   #7198
BHPian

Now this may sound absurd...weird...but its true....

I feel even some onscreen actors really belong to this "Bad Drivers" group - how? - why? -these are the reasons...

I recently watched a tamil film where through out the film:
  • none of the scenes which had actors driving cars had them buckled up...
  • few scenes showed the actors drinking beer and driving..inspite of having a co-passenger....
  • last but not the least...they speak over a cell phone and drive...in various scenes...

till now, my post would have looked quite silly to the reader...but from a social point...aren't they supposed to exercise these safety rules more than us? there are a billion people watching these movies, and needless to say we have an tendency to follow these "filmi styles" for all these years.

In recent times, we have ads shown before movies, which portray the ill effects of smoking and drinking and even during movies, whenever there is a drinking scene, we have flyers mentioning "Drinking is injurious to health"

On the same note, shouldn't more care be exercised towards safe driving? though the script demands such a scene, I don't think there would be much difference if
  • the actor was belted up
  • "non-drunk" co passenger offers to drive
  • last but not the least...actor pulls over the car and speaks over a cell phone

Now I'm not sure how this post sounds, but i feel that when film personalities could do canvasing for various politicos, they could also ensure that they show some social responsibility in safe driving..

Mods - please feel to move this thread from here if its not appropriate

P.S. the film was "Raja Rani"

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 20th January 2015 at 11:40.
gabrielthomas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 11:49   #7199
BANNED

That's a valid point!
Recently I noticed in an advert for the Innova, that all passengers were buckled up.
That is never the case in movies, or most ads.
I agree with you that these things should be portrayed.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 11:51   #7200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I feel even some onscreen actors really belong to this "Bad Drivers" group - how? - why? -these are the reasons...
And that is why there is a disclaimer - "Anything shown in the film is purely fictional".
Easy way to escape the law
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed