Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2015, 13:00   #7336
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Safety be damned (No Helmet or Rear view Mirrors). I have Govt. backing !!
Limca should straightaway reject his attempt.

Attachment 1348850

Click the image to read the full text without the TBHP watermark interrupting.
Utter disregard of his own and public safety! that too for a good 475 Kms

Govt. instead of supporting, should ban this and put the person concerned behind bars for endangering the public! MVD should take stringent action against the culprit. Such stunts should only be allowed within confined areas without endangering the public. Creating a record or public safety; which should be the Govt's priority?
Old 12th March 2015, 13:26   #7337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Safety be damned (No Helmet or Rear view Mirrors). I have Govt. backing !!
Limca should straightaway reject his attempt.
What a shame! If this enters the record books, it will be like encouraging such stuff. And on one hand the K'taka RTO/ Govt. shows you the rule book for extracting money in name of out of state registration and on one hand it encourages such idiotic stuff by flaunting the most basic rules of road safety and MV Act. Pity the people who are running these organizations!

Last edited by saket77 : 12th March 2015 at 13:27.
Old 12th March 2015, 15:52   #7338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Putting the article aside. I was in London over the weekend, and being on foot, I spotted a no. of cyclists on the road mostly commuting. But unlike India, each one of them were following the traffic signals, stopping before the stop line etc. Each one of them were respecting each other. This was a sight which is so different in India where a battle goes on between the motorist and the cyclist. The cyclist being looked down upon for obstructing the road.

The sight was very pleasing to the eyes and thought of mentioning this here.
I'd say you've been lucky to see that sight, believe me it's not the norm! I lived in London for 2 years and often newspapers would carry articles about motorists ranting about the cyclists and their misdemeanors on the road! There was this 1 week period sometime in 2013 when as many as 5-6 cyclists lost to their lives coming under the wheels of a lorry/bus.

From my point of view the following drivers qualify as bad!

1. The ones who honk their guts out no matter what the situation of the traffic ahead of them is. The most common offenders in this category are the cab operators (for BPOs, IT companies) but I have seen umpteen examples of white-collar, well-dressed fellas too.
2. The ones who do not negotiate a round-about the proper way. Instead of going 'round about', they pass through the blind spots thereby endangering fellow commuters. Bikers are more at risk in such scenarios.
3. School/college kids riding their gearless scooters like they are on a Grand Prix circuit. And they break all the rules, signals, wrong-side, triple-seat and what not! I blame their parents for not teaching them a thing or two about traffic sense!
4. The ones who put hazard lights on at the slightest of rainfall going into tunnels (tons of examples on MPEW). It's horrendous and confuses the hell out of me.
5. Then there are the usual offenders who jump signals when only 10-15 seconds are left to go! It's dreadful to see people risking their lives because they want to reach their destinations 5-10 mins early.

I'm certain there are many more but that's that for now!

Last edited by noopster : 13th March 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Old 12th March 2015, 16:10   #7339
Team-BHP Support

Nobody, ABSOLUTELY nobody seems to know how to make a lane-to-lane turn in India. Some people wanting to go one way stay in the other lane till the last moment before darting across, others drift into the opposite lane before/while/after making their turn, then act incredulous if you question them.

I came across a middle-aged guy (calling him a gentleman doesn't seem appropriate) who was turning into an undivided road from a lane ahead of me on the left. The guy nearly crashed into me as traffic on the opposite lane (the one he's supposed to join) was thick and won't let him merge, and he was too important to wait/slow down for a gap. When I asked him why he doesn't wait to merge into his lane, his response is "What lane? I honked but nobody let me in, even you are trying to crash into me. Get out of my way. (To his passenger): These young chaps, they think they can teach us how to drive, I've been driving longer than he's been alive".

I was thinking "you've probably been an idiot longer than I've been alive too", but didn't voice my opinion.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:31   #7340
Team-BHP Support

There are bad drivers and there are bad co-drivers! Here's my pool partner watching a serial on his laptop with a pair of earphones:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20150228_13_37_40_pro.jpg

Alas, carpooling and the kind of people we have to deal with!

I would really expect my co-driver to help me navigate the road, give me proper directions after referring to the cellphone's GPS, keep me awake during night drives by conversing, spot speed bumps/dhabas/animal crossing the road etc. if I tend to miss them, help me with the change at toll booths etc.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 17:15   #7341
BHPian

I agree. On the other hand be happy that he is only keeping to himself without disturbing your driving. Many other co passengers will be a nagging mouth and make life miserable for the driver.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 19:09   #7342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Some people are hell bent on committing suicide. But there are so many ways to commit suicide without troubling us. A scene from Trivandrum, in front of the Secretariat, opposite the very signal in video 3 of post 7321 by "deathwlkr". Vehicle - Hero Honda Splendor, Number - KL-21-c-8431, Owner Azeem as per MVD site.
And the expected angry stare from the pillion rider as if you have made a huge error

I hate that general area and i try and avoid it. It is mindless chaos there with protests, bus stops, weird lane changers, jaywalkers et all

Last edited by noopster : 13th March 2015 at 16:56. Reason: Please don't quote a video or large portion of text in your post; makes it difficult for small screen users
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 22:21   #7343
Senior - BHPian

A Whatsapp forward worth sharing.. And you thought you were smart!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1426351733707.jpg  

man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 15:26   #7344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
10: People following too closely – I touch my brakes and accelerate and watch the fun as they panic
What else can you guys add ?
On your point 8 above, I too object to these lane creators. This is not just at signal lights but on narrow roads where there is a blockage ahead.Most vehicles follow lane discipline but these guys try to be pioneers in lane making.

But I don't just thump and run away. I make it a point to stop and ask about the quality of their eyesight. Sometimes I ask politely where their "L" board is.

Another set of riders are those who ride on footpaths when the road is jammed or simply to get closer to a signal light. They actually have the temerity to honk at people on the footpath.

I consider this extremely wrong. You simply cannot use a footpath for your bike. When I am walking, I have stopped many such riders in my area and forced them to get back to the road.

I speak many Indian languages with sufficient depths of parental probing angles and there is never any hesitation on my part.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 20:51   #7345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
On your point 8 above, I too object to these lane creators. This is not just at signal lights but on narrow roads where there is a blockage ahead.Most vehicles follow lane discipline but these guys try to be pioneers in lane making.

Another set of riders are those who ride on footpaths when the road is jammed or simply to get closer to a signal light. They actually have the temerity to honk at people on the footpath.

I consider this extremely wrong. You simply cannot use a footpath for your bike. When I am walking, I have stopped many such riders in my area and forced them to get back to the road.

For the former case, I stick to my lane tight and pretend not to be aware of their presence.

For the latter, I take a picture and post it on BTP public eye. In all cases, I try not to pay attention because I've noticed that they get aggressive with eye contact. Going down that route has costed me time, energy and money in the past.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 21:20   #7346
Senior - BHPian

To the dimwit (for the lack of a befitting word I can use on this forum) driving the white Chevy Cruze with black aftermarket alloys and blue DRLs and LTD on the rear bumper (RHS) on the Channasandra main road - a crowded street is not a place for you to test your quarter mile run. And yes, the fella you almost grazed was me
Old 16th March 2015, 07:51   #7347
BHPian

In Kolkata we are suffering from bike lane syndrome. There was a time when one used to overtake from the right if no oncoming traffic was seen and return to the left lane. Nowadays, bikes and autos drive on the right lane and will somehow push themselves on the left when an oncoming vehicle approaches. In short new laws for Kolkata. Left lane for cars, right lane for bikes and autos. What about oncoming traffic? Give some way as when required.
Old 16th March 2015, 08:06   #7348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
In Kolkata we are suffering from bike lane syndrome. There was a time when one used to overtake from the right if no oncoming traffic was seen and return to the left lane. Nowadays, bikes and autos drive on the right lane and will somehow push themselves on the left when an oncoming vehicle approaches. In short new laws for Kolkata. Left lane for cars, right lane for bikes and autos. What about oncoming traffic? Give some way as when required.
This problem is there throughout in India. Lack of lane discipline or refusal to follow lane discipline.
Old 16th March 2015, 08:40   #7349
Senior - BHPian

Successfully managed to embarrass a dimwit on Saturday in full public view at Phoenix Mall. There was about 4 or 5 cars in 2 lanes at the exit waiting to pay the parking fee. When it was my turn to pay, a wisecrack in his nano suddenly feels enlightened and decides to pass both lanes, makes his own lane and then tries to cut into my lane.

I blocked him deliberately, rolled down my window and I gesture as to what was he trying to do ? His face changed and he started mumbling something.

Sitting in the car I started clapping and said "bravo dude bravo that's awesome". In no time my 4 year daughter also decided to clap and then rest of the people in my car joined me too .
The attendants manning the parking exit couldn't hold on to their laughter and a few others who were outside watching this couldn't help but join the fun.

The dude was so red-faced and without a choice was asked to reverse and fall in line.
rjstyles69 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 08:44   #7350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Successfully managed to embarrass a dimwit on Saturday in full public view at Phoenix Mall. There was about 4 or 5 cars in 2 lanes at the exit waiting to pay the parking fee. When it was my turn to pay, a wisecrack in his nano suddenly feels enlightened and decides to pass both lanes, makes his own lane and then tries to cut into my lane.

I blocked him deliberately, rolled down my window and I gesture as to what was he trying to do ? His face changed and he started mumbling something.

Sitting in the car I started clapping and said "bravo dude bravo that's awesome". In no time my 4 year daughter also decided to clap and then rest of the people in my car joined me too .
The attendants manning the parking exit couldn't hold on to their laughter and a few others who were outside watching this couldn't help but join the fun.

The dude was so red-faced and without a choice was asked to reverse and fall in line.
I have come across this behavior in toll plazas too. When others are patiently waiting for their turn to pay the toll, some ultra intelligent guys break away from the designated lanes and create their own lanes. End result-traffic jam at toll plazas.
Surprised this infection has spread even at malls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks