Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 12:40   #7366
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
And these bikers thinks that they are absolutely right in doing this.
+1 I fully agree to this!
Even in Residential areas making a turn at a blind corner is done with the least bit of alertness or concerns. I normally approach these blind corners, even if i am going on the straight road, with a bit of preparedness, at slow speed with right foot almost on the brake, keeping to maximum left and a honk before approaching the concern area. But at several occasions, I still find a bike guy with the most panicky face right in front of me and me to apply full brake and stop. Now the next difficult decision for him will be to decide whether to pass me on my left or right and in most cases they select the little space on my left
BTW, the good old habit of taking some precautions before approaching a blind curve is not to be seen nowadays. On this topic, please do not blame only the 2 wheelers, most of the vehicles do not follow most of them. Even on ghat roads, no one seems to care a damn about these good old practices
But whether in city, residential areas or on ghat roads, I still make it a point to strictly follow all those precautions at every blind corner. Although, it might be highly annoying to most of the other drivers, I am hoping at least one person in the whole world will find the good safety part in this practice:-) !! ( Sorry, I cannot use anymore smilies)
philgrac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 14:02   #7367
Senior - BHPian

Note sure if it was posted before - Child seat, rather baby chair

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-8_1426142473.jpeg

Last edited by msdivy : 18th March 2015 at 14:04.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 14:11   #7368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Even in Residential areas making a turn at a blind corner is done with the least bit of alertness or concerns. I normally approach these blind corners, even if i am going on the straight road, with a bit of preparedness, at slow speed with right foot almost on the brake, keeping to maximum left and a honk before approaching the concern area.
I agree. Any turn, blind or otherwise, I restrict my speed to such levels that I can bring the car to dead stop within the visibility range. In highways, if I can see the entire curve and way ahead, i do not drop speed but keep it handlable.

Overtaking from right and then taking an immediate left turn, cutting the bow, is a strict no no. Although you will find many people doing this. If you have to turn left, then why overtake I do not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Even on ghat roads, no one seems to care a damn about these good old practices
When I drive on ghat roads, I follow these precautions:-
a) Window rolled down or crack open so as to hear the noise or honking of other vehicles. Audio is at minimum volume or switched off.
b) Have a good co passenger on the left seat who will not be a chatter box and will keep you informed about what he observes - like a truck heading towards you two turns ahead or look up at hair pin bends and advise you on the traffic ahead or how much clearance available on left side etc.
alavandar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 09:35   #7369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
If you have to turn left, then why overtake I do not understand.
That's exactly my point. Most people do this and its quite an irritating stuff. I recently had a lateral job change in the company and moved to Prestige Tech Park in the ORR in Bangalore. Driving distance increased and no partner to carpool. Started taking the cab.., and Lord.., these cabbies are so terrible at driving. It scares the hell out of me.., but I don't have a choice. They won't even take advises and get offended so easily. Our cabbie overtakes from the right and cuts across to the left and it happens every single day. He goes around the divider to avoid getting stuck at the signal. If some other cabbie is driving in a horrible way and if by chance I make a statement against it, this guy demands me to keep quite since the other cabbie is his friend Having all sorts of bad experiences lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
When I drive on ghat roads, I follow these precautions:-
a) Window rolled down or crack open so as to hear the noise or honking of other vehicles. Audio is at minimum volume or switched off.
b) Have a good co passenger on the left seat who will not be a chatter box and will keep you informed about what he observes - like a truck heading towards you two turns ahead or look up at hair pin bends and advise you on the traffic ahead or how much clearance available on left side etc.
Agree with that 100%. I personally prefer the audio switched off rather than low volume when driving around ghats. A good co-passenger is quite an important person in any road.., not just ghats. I usually have my best buddy with me when I do long drives and he's brilliant in navigating. I've avoided many road-humps and other possible hazards with his due diligence
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 08:51   #7370
BHPian

For a few dollars more, reflective triangles be damned!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150320_080707.jpg  

CoolCarNi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 12:21   #7371
BHPian

Approaching any toĺl which is crowded is a driver's nightmare. Usually I see for extremes of right and left (incase of known tolls only) else follow the extreme right que
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:52   #7372
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From couple days ago: Was waiting at a signal and a zen estilo stops beside me. A Lady is driving the car with couple of adults seated on the back seat, front passenger seat occupied by 2 kids with the older one seated, not using seat belt (of course!) and the younger one playing around standing on the seat, jumping on the dashboard, etc.
As if all this wasn't enough, I noticed that the lady driving the car had hung her handbag on her shoulder in such a way that it resembled a seat belt from a distance That was some strategy but who cares about safety ?

Last edited by NPV : 23rd March 2015 at 19:53.
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:03   #7373
Senior - BHPian

Super human effort to break rules

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-11_1426666957.jpg

One more:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-9_1426666840.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 23rd March 2015 at 22:04.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:07   #7374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Super human effort to break rules

Attachment 1352915
You got it wrong. This guy is making way for the ambulance that's stuck in traffic
josejoseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:46   #7375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
You got it wrong. This guy is making way for the ambulance that's stuck in traffic
I hope someone else doesn't have to this again for these bikers lest they get hit by an oncoming vehicle from the side they are jumping in

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 24th March 2015 at 09:48.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:06   #7376
BANNED

I see this particular thread is a hotspot for biker-bashing.
i dont approve of rash ridng, but most of the time, its not biker's mistake if he gets hit.

remember- You have four wheels, but bikers have two and tyres slip easily.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:20   #7377
BHPian

Last Sunday i.e. 22nd March 2015 on my way back to Delhi from Ajmer came across a Skoda Yeti bearing team-bhp sticker 4-5 occupants. Buddy you were driving too rash for a highway trip, hope you made it safe back home.
Met few other rash drivers on the highway - a golden Cruze on a highway death trip - too rash to be driving anywhere in the world, God knows what goes in people's head when they are driving like nuts on Indian roads, no care of life.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:48   #7378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
I see this particular thread is a hotspot for biker-bashing.
i dont approve of rash ridng, but most of the time, its not biker's mistake if he gets hit.

It is true: I have done my share of bike bashing on this and other threads. Why? Because that is what we see on the streets.

It is my guess that most of the time it is the biker's mistake that results in them getting hit. It is nothing to do with the number of wheels, it is what drivers do on them. If a biker does not have a clue about the limitation of his/her vehicle then they should not be driving it.

Ignorance kills.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 14:11   #7379
BHPian

Bikers should understand the limitation of having just two wheels: a small nudge from another vehicle can send them tumbling down. But alas, most of them do not care.

Two scenarios where they put themself in harm's way:
1. Cut perpendicularly right in front of other vehicles at road crossings.
2. Overtake and immediately change lane / come infront of the vehicle he/she has overtaken. In a lot of such situations if I haven't slowed down immediately, the bike would have been hit.
Old 24th March 2015, 14:16   #7380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
This is to be borne in mind by every biker rather than inventing new ways of riding.
Keeping to the right side of the road to turn right and proceeding through the right side of the road are not appreciable and can be a causative reason for many an accident.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th March 2015 at 14:18.

Most Viewed