Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 23:30   #7456
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

NGEF Road woes, here are couple from the past weekend :
Scenes from Saturday, 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers take the wrong side of the route in peak evening traffic blocking the traffic out from the other direction!
The KSRTC bus was the sufferer in this case (the cars on wrong side are visible via the glass of another car).
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-12.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-13.jpg

But this takes the cake..
On Sunday it was my turn to suffer, around 12:30pm (road is one-way between 8-11am so I was in the right direction)
There were 2 wheelers and autos on the wrong side but I could manage to get past them with the available lane width but then there was this amazing character
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-21.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-22.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ngef-23.jpg
This guy and other motorists were egging me to proceed further saying I can manage it, this when the Honda car was already grazing the hub caps against the makeshift concrete blocks acting as the median, there was no way I was going to succumb. Told the moron to back up all the way, he finally did and said sorry few times but justified his action saying the "rickshaw wala in front took the wrong side and I followed"
Till this 'herd mentality'/'monkey attitude' changes, our roads cannot become better places to drive.

Last edited by NPV : 14th April 2015 at 23:46.
NPV is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 09:58   #7457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Bad drivers - how do you spot them? Like this...

Attachment 1359570

Interestingly, this junction is one where there are regular drives to catch stop line violators. And Delhi Traffic Police has lately announced strict action against drivers who cut lanes.
... and I was hoping the authorities would make some law for these deadly contraptions (bull bars) in the new road transport bill.

BTW, Highway patrol? Which highway was this on?

The other day, I was following a similar PCR. It kept wavering left and right on the whole road. Background score was very apt with the radio playing DTP lane discipline ad. I was just smiling and enjoying the show.

Maybe he had to attend to some emergency.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 17:58   #7458
BHPian

Yesterday met one of the most senseless driver I have come across. Now there is a function hall next to my house that is very famous and hence booked for some event or the other regularly and this causes a lot of cars to be parked on our street. Had to go out at 7:00 PM, and when I went to reverse my car found a car parked bang in front of my gate blocking more than half the gate. Went to the office of the function hall and asked them to find out whose car it was, Dad and me stood on the pavement outside my house for an hour and still no sign of this "Wonderful" character. So cancelled going out and dad was sitting outside our house waiting to give an earful to whoever it was. Finally at 8:15PM an older couple approaches the car and my dad asks him if he has any common sense and then gives him the whole works in a very loud tone, embarrassing him to an extent that he just stood there silently for 10 minutes. The car in question was a Grey Maruti Suzuki Swift VXi TN 02 AX 3886( Mods remove registration number if you think its inappropriate).

PS: No abuses were hurled just some really loud piece of mind.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 18:07   #7459
Team-BHP Support

An acquaintance of mine from Delhi had a rather novel solution to this nuisance. He hung a sign on the gate that said in English/Hindi: "This spot causes air loss in tires. Parking at owner's risk". He had to demonstrate his 'magic' a couple times on stubborn drivers who refused to be polite, now nobody seems to block his gate even on the busiest days.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 19:30   #7460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
An acquaintance of mine from Delhi had a rather novel solution to this nuisance. He hung a sign on the gate that said in English/Hindi: "This spot causes air loss in tires. Parking at owner's risk". He had to demonstrate his 'magic' a couple times on stubborn drivers who refused to be polite, now nobody seems to block his gate even on the busiest days.
But isn't that going in the reverse?? The vehicle will be parked for an even longer period in front of the gate!
Old 16th April 2015, 19:42   #7461
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have seen a sign in front of one of the houses in Indiranagar, Bangalore that says "If you park here, your vehicle will be damaged"
In other news, we had an uninvited guest yesterday. Heard someone opening the gate so stepped out to see what was happening, I saw a man opening our gate, gesturing and shouting out loud to another chap in an Ecosport to backup his car, right inside our portico
When I ask him what he's upto, he points to the gate and says "gate"!
This is the state of affairs on our streets.

Last edited by NPV : 16th April 2015 at 19:47.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:30   #7462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
But isn't that going in the reverse?? The vehicle will be parked for an even longer period in front of the gate!
Sure it can be counterproductive sometimes, but unfortunately the only thing that seems to teach rude Indian drivers a lesson is their own inconvenience.

I personally witnessed this incident during a visit to this guy I referred to:

We were standing outside on the veranda catching up on stuff when some guy in a suit, a dressed-up lady and gift-box in tow parked his car right outside the gate and started to walk off (presumably to some marriage hall close by). We asked him to park his car elsewhere as we intend to go out a while later in my acquaintance's car. The guy arrogantly said he'll be in & out of the venue in a few minutes so it won't make any difference. To our question "What if you don't?", he just smirked condescendingly in a "so what?" manner and walked away with his proud lady sniggering at us chumps. No prizes for guessing he didn't return even after a couple hours. My friend finally lost patience, removed the valve nozzles (the little screwed-on thingy) of all four of his car's tires, put them in a small zip bag and stuck it with a post-it note on the wiper with his phone#. We took a taxi out to dinner and his phone started buzzing close to midnight from an unknown number. It was our hero in a panic because he was stranded with his lady in an unknown area close to midnight, and using all sorts of language to threaten us. My friend calmly told him to get the lady back to the venue or use the open sit-out veranda of my friend's house to wait for us safely. When we got back, the guy was still in a mood to argue how we've damaged his car and endangered his lady's safety with our 'rowdy behavior'.

My friend, a glacier of calm sense, asks the guy to calm down and apologize for intentionally causing inconvenience by knowingly parking his car where he did, then returning hours later with no concern if my friend had needed to drive out in an emergency, and then having the cheek to be abusive. The guy seemed reluctant, so my friend finally added in: "Admit your mistake, and I'll give you my electric pump and the tool to screw the valve nozzles back in. You can get going in less than 30 minutes. If you're too big to apologize, you're on your own". The lady saw sense, forced him to apologize and we helped him inflate the tires. My friend's parting shot: "You ever do this again here, you're not getting the pump, and I'll probably slash your tires for good measure. Spare a thought for others' convenience too". The guy was too abashed to react, just went on his way.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th April 2015 at 20:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 10:41   #7463
BHPian

One of my neighbors has come up with a novel way of deterring people from parking in front of their gates. They have a simple sign on their gate and compound that reads "Beware of falling coconuts while parked here".

They do have a couple of old coconut trees in their compound which don't have too many nuts on them and as far as I can remember, we have not had any of those nuts falling on the road outside let alone a car but the message certainly works. Forget the gate, no one dares park in front of their compound too.

A nice polite way of ensuring no one parks in front of your house. No threats, no promises of violence, just a simple message masquerading as community service. Loved it.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 19:46   #7464
BHPian

A lone biker at a traffic signal? Not at all! the picture is taken at Kadavanthra Junction Traffic Signal(Ernakulam) and I clicked this shot from my car which was properly stopped at the White line and awaiting the green signal to go straight. I have another row of traffic waiting on my right side to turn right. This bike guy came from the extreme left (free left turn) and crossed my lane and waiting to go right (you can see his intention, not from the indicator but at the angle at which his bike is stopped). Actually he is right in the middle of the Junction, hindering the straight passage of vehicles from all other sides

There is no such thing as Lane discipline or signal discipline here in Cochin
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-kadavanthra-jn-12apr2015.jpg  

Old 19th April 2015, 15:09   #7465
Senior - BHPian

Some people who can afford these bikes are not worth them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1429436384350.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 16:31   #7466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Come on dude, he's just going for his weekly shopping; don't need no protective gear for that; chappals and shorts more than enough protection on a Busa
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 17:28   #7467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Arrey! If he wears a helmet and riding gear, how will people know that he be the one who can afford a 'Busa??

People want to be 'seen' riding big bikes. Flaunt factor, you see.

Just an hour ago, I was thinking how silly I might look to others, wearing a full riding gear on a sweltering summer afternoon. The feeling crept in when an 'imphorted' big bike rider, clad in a similar attire to the one pictured above, pulled up next to me at the signal! People were giving me funny looks.
There are times when even I feel silly, but then, I imagine the 'others'.. all bloodied and bruised, writhing in pain; then I picture myself- shaken and bruised, but in a much better state.. Thankful, I ride on.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 19th April 2015 at 17:29.
schakravarthy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 17:43   #7468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
There are times when even I feel silly, but then, I imagine the 'others'.. all bloodied and bruised, writhing in pain; then I picture myself- shaken and bruised, but in a much better state.. Thankful, I ride on.

Because (and I got this from Adi ) sweating is better than bleeding. ATGATT!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 19:59   #7469
Distinguished - BHPian

A few namoone (specimen) :

- Mahindra goods vehicle so overloaded that it was literally (I mean it) doing wheelies while on the move. The driver had about half his body peeking out to find ways to go much faster.

- A man who doesn't know he has to pull up the hand-brake/use actually brakes when parked in signal. After my honking he pulls ahead only to slowly being to slide again. I knew better & took to the left side.

- An auto who in his rush to escape the signal makes a sharp turn from right to left.. clipped my rear bumper with quite a thud. He did pull over in guilt though & I had a couple of minor scratches compared to a substantial dent in his front panel. Didn't want to waste my time so asked him to buzz off.

- Two wheeler who felt the need to surge in out of nowhere when I'm turning into a main road close to the divider. I'm good at spotting sneak attacks though so gave him enough room, being the thrill seeker that he is he screamed like a 10 year old kid as he zig zagged his way through.

- Speaking of 10 year olds, I see dozens of them riding bikes and scooters. Got no eyes traffic police? Isn't a height of 4 feet & wearing no helmet enough clues to their age?
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:46   #7470
Senior - BHPian

Found this video on FB, really sorry for the girl.

Most Viewed