Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:37   #61
BHPian

Its not just about reckless drivers but about reckless pedestrians as well.. The following are my pet peeves.

1> People Crossing roads without looking:
The otherday i spotted a woman in her 30s with two kids in tow at a zebra crossing trying to beat a green light. I mean the traffic had already started moving when she decided to cross the road.

2> Vehicles pulling in/out of parking lots.
Other things which piss me off is the traffic slowing down to park their vehicles leaving almost no space for the rear vehicles to cross. Especially on M.G.Road in bangalore where there are car-parkings on both sides. There are frequently cars backing out and other cars waiting to pull in thus blocking the traffic after the brigade road signal on both sides.

3> Wrong side travel.
People driving wrong sides on one-ways. Ulsoor Road and the New Thippasandra road are classic examples of autorickshaw drivers making their own roads against the oncoming traffic.

4> Cyclists and two-wheelers.
Reckless cyclists and two-wheelers taking a turn or changing lanes (Not that there are any) without even bothering to look back for clearance.

The best way to drive in bangalore city conditions is to remember the following. This is what i do..

1> Expect the unexpected: Expect somebody to jump on the road right in front of you.

2> Never trust the vehicle ahead of you to give an Indicator, just honk or flash lights for the guy to give you the way.

3> Expect to stop your vehicle within a distance of 4-5 meters.

4> Always expect somebody to overtake you from the wrong side.
Old 11th February 2005, 18:29   #62
BANNED

holla

Driving Back From Goa I Seen A Guy Driving A Uno With No Side Rear View Mirrors And To Top It Had Luggage Packed To The Ceiling In The Dickey What Say Bout That..........
Old 11th February 2005, 18:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I really get crazy when people with very expensive cars and good amount of money to spend for fancy number drive like maniacs. When they care for themselves, they should also be sensible for others.
(Money + expensive cars) does not necessarily mean literate, well cultured people. You will see many stinking rich businessmen giving a damn to rules and regulations. A cyclewallah might be more law abiding than a Corolla or Skoda or Merc owner.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2005, 18:13   #64
BHPian

holla

Yea Have To Agree With RX135......But In Mumbai Rickshaw wallas always...come in the way.....without even using a hand signal....another bunch of irritating people who drive is the bombay bus drivers...
Old 22nd February 2005, 13:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

With your eyes of course!
Old 22nd February 2005, 13:26   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

On the way back from work last evening, this jerk travelling on a scooter (with his wife and daughter) jumps a signal and lands right in front of me - CM'S AWAY FROM MY JEEPS BULLBAR.

If I didnt have disc brakes, he and his family would have been history. What an idiot!! No helmets, traveling with his woman and young daughter and jumping signals at busy intersections.

Hes really really lucky he escaped. From any injuries. From the Jeeps bull bar. And from my ire!

GTO
Old 22nd February 2005, 22:58   #67
BHPian

how come nobody mentions the guy talking on his mobile phone while driving - or did i miss that among the many posts?

worse still, while he/she is making a call, looking down at his/her phone and trying to dial -all the while holding up traffic or driving dangerously...

what about when the memsaab / saab wants to get out at that fashionable restaurant - and the driver halts the car in the middle of the road - regardless of the cars around - behind.

i think also - anything that causes road rage is dangerous driving.
Old 28th March 2005, 11:46   #68

Drivers to avoid

BEWARE OF VEHICLES WITH LETTER "L", AND DRIVEN BY "L"
IT SAYS
"LADY LEARNING"

ALSO BEWARE OF ROADWAYS BUSES
STAY ATLEAST 15 MTRS AWAY FROM THEM. NO TAILGATING PLEASE
THEY HALT ONLY WHERE THERE IS NO STOP.

AND MILITARY TRUCKS TO BE AVOIDED THE MOST
THESE HUGE TRUCKS NEED LOT OF HUMAN FORCE TO HANDLE , HENCE GO OUT OF CONTROL QUITE OFTEN

HAPPY MOTORING

Last edited by jagpreetsingh : 28th March 2005 at 11:53.
Old 28th March 2005, 11:53   #69
Team-BHP Support

Another thing to notice is the area where the number plate is issued in Bangalore generally - there are exceptions

KA01 / KA03 plates generally better driven - mainly profesionals - but plenty of exceptions
KA05 - conservative people - drive very slow or very rashly driven by driver
KA02 - illiterate local with new money -very rash - unaware of safety/risk/rules - avoid
KA04 - Spoilt rich kids without a licence/ or driver driven - owner of good cars very badly driven - watch out
Old 28th March 2005, 14:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
KA01 / KA03 plates generally better driven - mainly profesionals - but plenty of exceptions
KA05 - conservative people - drive very slow or very rashly driven by driver
KA02 - illiterate local with new money -very rash - unaware of safety/risk/rules - avoid
KA04 - Spoilt rich kids without a licence/ or driver driven - owner of good cars very badly driven - watch out
Umm... thats intresting.
Let see... I got a 05... and its neither driver driven nor driven slowly
Lets see what other bangys here in this forum has got...
Old 28th March 2005, 14:02   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Umm... thats intresting.

As I said - there are exceptions !
Old 28th March 2005, 14:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
As I said - there are exceptions !
Yes, i did noticed that. But my opinion is that there too many exception to this...
generaly for a KA X, if X =< 05, then one should keep distance. Due to high nature of road rage. Which sadly also applies to me
Old 28th March 2005, 14:19   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Due to high nature of road rage. Which sadly also applies to me
Ah c'mon gkrishn, Don't get so frustrated. We old people do say these kind of things but not pointing at any individuals
Old 28th March 2005, 18:05   #74
BHPian

Eyesite

Quote:
Umm... thats intresting.
In my opinion , people driving in Bangalore are like Horses. If you notice , these horse driven carriages , the horses would have an eye cover , so that the Horse focuses only on the front - not get distracted by anything else.

So , our drivers , irrespective of - 2 wheel or a 4 wheel - their concept is , if their vehicle is ahead of their eyesite - it is assumed they have the right . They suddenly brake , slow down , or cut your path - even worse - they do all of the above from the Left!.
Old 28th March 2005, 18:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i did noticed that. But my opinion is that there too many exception to this...
generaly for a KA X, if X =< 05, then one should keep distance. Due to high nature of road rage. Which sadly also applies to me
I thought > 05 - you have to really keep off from them . Most of them are not used the heavy traffic - they will be driving - slow and steady - occupy the right most lane and driving without any knowhow of lanes.

Most Viewed