Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 12:50   #7486
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Checkout the amazing parking by Mr.A-Star.
Sector 21 Gurgaon
OMG ! I first thought that this was something about the bus clipping the A-Star but then read the heading of the post and was dumbstuck !!

A little nudge by either of the buses would have taught the driver a lesson - assuming that no one else was in the car of course

Observed a bad 2 wheeler rider today morning at the sinhagad expressway junction signal.

The signal turned red as I was about 3 car lengths from the junction and so I slowed and stopped ahead of the stop line as did a couple of 2 wheelers beside me. Now this dude comes from behind, riding an avenger bike with speed. He has a helmet on and an I card dangles from his neck.

I think he hoped to run the signal but to his bad luck, the other sides had already started moving. As a result he had to brake hard which caused him to slide away 2-3 metres with a few rolls thrown in between. The bike didnt shut down so by standers helped him up and shut his bike.

But the icing on the cake is that inspite of all this, he took his bike and slowly made his way (perhaps due to embrassment) breaking the signal after all. The police kept looking on.

This is another thing that irks me no end. Why do people not slow down or at least not speed up while approaching a junction !! Even if you do have the signal, anything can happen without a moment's notice when 4 streams of traffic are crossing each other.

Last edited by luvDriving : 7th May 2015 at 12:51. Reason: completing details
Old 7th May 2015, 13:01   #7487
BHPian

I am not sure if it is only me who experiences this. I have started despising the Altos, Eons and tempos (307,407 and similar sized HMV) due to this.
I live in Navi Mumbai and recently we got 5 lane highways and a number of flyovers between panvel and vashi. It is a joy to drive on these roads due to the ample space and zero traffic. It has reduced a 25 min commute from Belapur to vashi to a 10 min commute.
However the everytime i see any of the aforementioned cars on these roads, they are usually driving like maniacs. changing 3 lanes at a time and cutting into the flyover just before the divider starts.
What grinds my gears the most is these cars driving in the right most lane at 50-60 kmph and blocking the whole lane which results in other cars overtaking them from the left side.
Not sure why they go crazy on these roads, but they do. I hope no one gets hurt.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 14:45   #7488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread View Post
I am not sure if it is only me who experiences this. I have started despising the Altos, Eons and tempos (307,407 and similar sized HMV) due to this.
I live in Navi Mumbai and recently we got 5 lane highways and a number of flyovers between panvel and vashi. It is a joy to drive on these roads due to the ample space and zero traffic.

What grinds my gears the most is these cars driving in the right most lane at 50-60 kmph and blocking the whole lane which results in other cars overtaking them from the left side.
Not sure why they go crazy on these roads, but they do. I hope no one gets hurt.
Yes. Even I have experienced this. Most people will hog the fast lane even if the other two lanes are empty. Someone needs to teach them proper road etiquette.

But one more thing that troubles me is that people don't know how to keep themselves in their lane on a turn/curve.
Today an Alto went from the right most lane to the middle one in a single curve near Uran phata. Thankfully I was aware of my surroundings and hence didn't need any drastic evasive measures.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 15:10   #7489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes. Even I have experienced this. Most people will hog the fast lane even if the other two lanes are empty. Someone needs to teach them proper road etiquette.
For one, road etiquette and India are like the two different poles of the earth. They can never come together. Secondly, even basic road sense has no way of being known by drivers most of whom are illiterate.

Yes, even I have noticed and am really bugged by the right lane fiasco going on nowadays everywhere. Even big trucks and snail rickshaws hog the right lane. Maybe all are aware that its a nice way to avoid all the nonsense going on on the left sides like; hawkers, egoistic pedestrians(jaywalkers/ sleepwalkers/ the-highway-is-my-private garden walkers), slow moving stupid drivers, outrageously parked cars, double parking, drivers not sure where they want to go and just hanging around stupidly at maybe like 5kmph, and then above all those who want to take a left and have to avoid all this and end up eating like to more lanes in the process, the list goes on.....

If I'm not wrong, the law states that commercial vehicles, rickshaws and the like are not even supposed to be in the right lane except for turning. Never mind :banghead:
Old 7th May 2015, 15:18   #7490
BHPian

I am seruiousely thinking of buying a tank (With thickest possible body armour) to drive on my daily commute to Quadron (Hinjewadi Pahse-III from Wakad).
I usually take the Maan gaon road but had to drop my Brother's freinds to Wipro circle today morning. We were assuming being thursday the traffic would be low at this point. This junction being most pathetic of the entire stretch. I decided to change lane from Right to left well in advance so that i can drop them at Wipro once i reach there. To my surprise even after my indicators functioning properly I see a cab jumps out of nowhere & starts driving absolutely parallel to me. He totally ignored the indicators, popped his nose such that i had no choise but to make a middle lane & he occupying the left lane. I had already lost my place in the right lane, so couldn't move back..
Cab Refused to give me side untill i decided to give up having a bus behind us, who could not have blocked my way anyways.

What came later was even more surprising, the moron had to turn right & go to the IBM building. He had to Literally take a u-turn, driving on extreme left & then take a sharp right at this junction. Of-course neither indicators nor hand signals were used in this manouver.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 7th May 2015 at 15:19.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:09   #7491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
For one, road etiquette and India are like the two different poles of the earth. They can never come together. Secondly, even basic road sense has no way of being known by drivers most of whom are illiterate.
The literate drivers are not much different. One sad aspect in India, is that many of our laws are too lax for the kind of people on which the law is enforced. We can have very easy going laws once the general population has come up with better social senses.

Look at the case of the proposed Road Safety Bill. Many people complain that the fines are too high. They want very easily payable fines as amount, but expect the roads and driving behaviours to improve. That will never happen. Let us have heavy fines for some time that in another 15-20 years the overall driving behaviour changes. Then perhaps go for slightly lesser fines.

The recently died Singapore's PM had made many nasty remarks on how he dealt with his own citizens in a strong way. He realised that unless people really put in their best efforts, Singapore would never become Singapore of what we see today.

We Indians blaming the british, then the politicians, then the bigger vehicle drivers etc., would just remain useless excuses.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 19:13   #7492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Note: btw note to the owner again if he is on his forum - You have 2 tickets being issued by Bangalore traffic Police for jumping signal. please check on BTP website.
This takes the cake

I and fellow road users had a run in with this i20 last evening around 8 PM, grey in colour with garishly painted black bumpers, huge coat hanger on the roof, and blue z shaped running lights and a modified exhaust.

First this guy is unable to take a left from a circle and stops in the middle creating a jam. Finally he manages to move, lights flashing, horn blaring and probably on a half clutch creating an awful rukus trying to intimidate the others on the road.
Old 9th May 2015, 10:58   #7493
Senior - BHPian

After many years, i got to travel in a ksrtc bus. It was a low floor one from thrissur to palakkad. Now i dont know if this is the norm, but i was surprised to see the driver wearing seat belt!

And imagine to my pleasant surprise, on the highway he stuck to the left lane. After overtaking, he promptly gets back to the left lane. How i wish all drivers could learn from him and drive like him.
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 11:47   #7494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
After many years, i got to travel in a ksrtc bus.
I am not a great fan of Kerala SRTC, which is now in a deep mess mainly because of belligerent staff and equally pathetic political administration. This was a department which could be operated much better.

But even during the 1980s and 1990s people always had a bit of respect for the KSRTC drivers who drove the vehicle with a bit of elan/style/class. Maintained steady speeds, and drove the vehicle smoothly. In comparison the 20 year olds who used to drive private buses like Formula 1 race cars were hated by all.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 13:46   #7495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
...i was surprised to see the driver wearing seat belt!

And imagine to my pleasant surprise, on the highway he stuck to the left lane. After overtaking, he promptly gets back to the left lane
If you observe the KSRTC buses on the 4-lane highways in Kerala, they generally stick to the left lane unless they're overtaking somebody, or preparing to overtake a slow moving truck or "velli moonga" (Tata Magic-Iris, also called auto-taxi) on the left lane.

But the SETC/TNSTC and KaSRTC buses change lanes at will and usually hog the right lane - like many of the trucks.

Since you mentioned about the seat belt, those Volvo LF buses are driven by drivers who have attended the training session at Volvo, which emphasises on the use of seat belts also, among the other various features such as kneeling. The long-distance Volvo (Garuda) drivers of KSRTC use the cruise control and retarders much more effectively than their counterparts of other STCs.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 16:49   #7496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
But even during the 1980s and 1990s people always had a bit of respect for the KSRTC drivers who drove the vehicle with a bit of elan/style/class. Maintained steady speeds, and drove the vehicle smoothly. In comparison the 20 year olds who used to drive private buses like Formula 1 race cars were hated by all.
I am a resident of Trivandrum from 1983 and I can relate very well to what you have written here. I have used KSRTC extensively in Trivandrum and it was a well run enterprise those days, belligerent staff not withstanding. Ho ! for the Good old days of eighties in Trivandrum! sigh !
Old 9th May 2015, 23:25   #7497
BHPian

How can we report this violation to the Mumbai Traffic Police? I have heard about some facebook page but since I am not a member there, can someone please post it there:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20150509_001.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20150509_002.jpg

Mod note: Rotate pictures before posting please.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2015 at 08:25.
Old 10th May 2015, 01:05   #7498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Since you mentioned about the seat belt, those Volvo LF buses are driven by drivers who have attended the training session at Volvo, which emphasises on the use of seat belts also, among the other various features such as kneeling. The long-distance Volvo (Garuda) drivers of KSRTC use the cruise control and retarders much more effectively than their counterparts of other STCs.
With every bus / truck sold, Volvo compulsorily trains two drivers nominated by the buyer in the Volvo facilities at Bangaluru. Only these drivers are allowed to drive the bus/ truck during commercial operations, or else the owner stands loosing warranty and guarantee on the bus/ truck in case of any failures..Very effective way of ensuring compliance!
Old 10th May 2015, 17:44   #7499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
But the SETC/TNSTC and KaSRTC buses change lanes at will and usually hog the right lane - like many of the trucks.
Worse - on two lane highways they'll hog the CENTER of the road bisecting both lanes, and actively cut you off if you try to overtake them. So you are stuck driving behind them at a steady 40..50 kmph. Not that it is too safe to drive faster than that on some of the miserable moonscape type cratered surfaces that pass for two lane highways in India, but still.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:19   #7500
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

Need to report a rashly driven i20 in Delhi, bearing Team BHP sticker. I felt very angry that this kind of driving will give a bad name to our respected forum / community. The vehicle in question is a magenta coloured i20 (probably custom paint job).

The car was being driven on the wrong-side of the road (oncoming traffic) on the PVR Anupam Saket road going towards Malviya nagar metro station T-point. Not only did the car go on the other side of the divider, it made a sharp left turn from the right side (wrong-side) of the road, cutting across two lanes of traffic that was turning left or right at the T-point. This stunt was done to surpass the traffic stopped on the red light and was a dangerous exercise for a futile result. Later, from a distance we could see the vehicle make a left turn at Adchini - we were in Sumo Grande (my father was driving), so the higher seating position provided a good view of the traffic ahead. I couldn't click a picture, but was able to note the number of the car - it was Delhi registration 0155.

Most Viewed