Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 13:47   #7561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I see people texting/whatsapping while driving!! Here is one from today morning - oblivious to the fact that the car is drifting into another lane.
So, did you Honk or not, to make the driver aware that he/she is drifting into your lane ?

Asking because, the Dzire ahead of you strongly asked you not to honk.
Old 29th May 2015, 20:15   #7562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So, did you Honk or not, to make the driver aware that he/she is drifting into your lane ?

Asking because, the Dzire ahead of you strongly asked you not to honk.
Lol! You can find these stickers stuck on virtually anything and everything! Saw a few of them on a lamppost as well once. Doesn't really mean anything. Don't expect the driver to practice what he is preaching.

About the Beat, I had spotted her about a km back doing this. So when the cars got closer I was prepared for it and was slowing down already.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:38   #7563
Senior - BHPian

Well, how to spot a bad driver, you ask..?

Still need a clue?

Name:  ForumRunner_20150531_173122.png
Views: 2529
Size:  532.2 KB

( Spotted this abysmally foolish person dancing around on his bike on a busy Ring Road at Mysore. Best part..? He was taunting a cop vehicle! Sigh! )
Old 1st June 2015, 00:45   #7564
BHPian

An incident that also got me to under stand my Polo better.

Two months ago I was waiting at a traffic signal at the Kalikapur - EM Bypass T junction. The left turn seldom takes more than 60 seconds but on that day traffic was being manually directed and it was taking longer. I was in the first row of vehicles waiting to turn left. Engine off, watching the poor cops struggle with the horizontal traffic, all set for a 5+ minute wait.

On my immediate right arrives a white Bolero that is uncomfortably close. It stops a couple of feet behind so the driver is at nearly the same level as my rear seat.

Suddenly I hear a young woman yell at the driver. In the blink of an eye she's walked up to the passenger side of the driver's row and THUD, opens the door which makes a frontal impact with my rear right C pillar and calmly gets seated without a care in the world. I am stunned and fearful of what to find, also worried because of the signal.

Nonetheless with some difficulty I dismount and walk over to examine the point of impact. Luckily there are no marks but the force of the impact has caused the fuel lid to open. To my astonishment, not only is the driver + woman unapologetic, one has the cheek to say that my fuel lid was open all along. The driver even offered to hit my polo body with his hand to demonstrate how easily the fuel lid opens (when not locked). [This theory is not even remotely possible because the fuel lid is on the drivers side in the Polo and an open lid would be immediately seen in the ORVM.] While this discussion was heating up an older gent in the back of the Bolero came out and placated me with a few apologies.

Needless to say I am now careful to switch on the centralised locking (which also includes the fuel lid).

Last edited by Kumar R : 1st June 2015 at 00:46.
Old 1st June 2015, 06:54   #7565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Still need a clue?

Attachment 1376897

( Spotted this abysmally foolish person dancing around on his bike on a busy Ring Road at Mysore. Best part..? He was taunting a cop vehicle! Sigh! )
Must be a fan of old Dr.Rajkumar movies. That pose is best struck on a yezdi back in the 1980s.
Old 1st June 2015, 09:01   #7566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

Needless to say I am now careful to switch on the centralised locking (which also includes the fuel lid).
Just curious, doesn't central locking get activated automatically above crawling speed? And I share your thoughts, it's mostly cab/auto drivers who tries putting their hands on other people's vehicles to prove a point.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:41   #7567
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a bad rider on OMR (Chennai) opposite the HCL office at Kandanchavady today morning while on the bus from Tidel Park to my office.
He had stopped his bike close to the median and talking on his cellphone oblivious to all the rush-hour traffic whistling past him. That call must be really a matter of life-or-death for him.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:17   #7568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Talking on the phone seems relatively safe to me now

I see people texting/whatsapping while driving!! Here is one from today morning - oblivious to the fact that the car is drifting into another lane.

Attachment 1376145
And you were snapping away with your phone camera while driving?

I hope you were not driving. But if you were, you would be doing nothing less thatn that guy in the picture. infact taking a picture would be more attention seeking than texting.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:59   #7569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Still need a clue?
bad-pillions-how-do-you-spot-em
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:19   #7570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathreddyt View Post
And you were snapping away with your phone camera while driving?

I hope you were not driving. But if you were, you would be doing nothing less thatn that guy in the picture. infact taking a picture would be more attention seeking than texting.
Relax buddy, that's a dashcam footage snap.
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:02   #7571
Senior - BHPian

These 2 guys were merrily pushing the Omni with no regard to traffic rules, on the left hand side is the Police Station, with cars parked on the side there was no place to overtake till the next intersection and I had a huge queue of cars following me . (pic taken by my 8 yr. old who was pretty excited to see this spectacle)
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2015051500055.jpg  

Old 4th June 2015, 08:25   #7572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
These 2 guys were merrily pushing the Omni with no regard to traffic rules, on the left hand side is the Police Station, with cars parked on the side there was no place to overtake till the next intersection and I had a huge queue of cars following me . (pic taken by my 8 yr. old who was pretty excited to see this spectacle)
On a lighter note, you should've given all three of them a nudge
Old 4th June 2015, 14:56   #7573
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure about the safety of the motor-bike push, but if a vehicle is broken down and has to be pushed, then it has to be done. It is quite likely that the process may slow down other drivers, but it is not going to slow them down as much as stationary, broken-down car in the middle of the road.

Perhaps these guys could have shown more consideration be keeping more to the left and giving space for other traffic. Otherwise, sometimes we just have to accept being slowed down.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 15:45   #7574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
On a lighter note, you should've given all three of them a nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not sure about the safety of the motor-bike push, but if a vehicle is broken down and has to be pushed, then it has to be done. It is quite likely that the process may slow down other drivers, but it is not going to slow them down as much as stationary, broken-down car in the middle of the road.

Perhaps these guys could have shown more consideration be keeping more to the left and giving space for other traffic. Otherwise, sometimes we just have to accept being slowed down.
If a vehicle is broken down it has to be moved to the side of the road and repaired or towed to a mechanic, these guys were in front of me for almost 1.5 kms. without any consideration of the traffic jam they were causing.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 09:02   #7575
BHPian

Bad Drivers ....Bad Drivers ..... Bad Drivers !!

I guess we better change the thread's name because it is only the bad [or badass] drivers , who could be seen on or roads. The other side [ the good/sensible drivers] are a rare species and have to be spotted-noted in a log-book just like how the rare species of flora and fauna, if spotted are recorded by the zoologists.

And if possible, these good drivers have to be specially honored by the Govt. for making us believe that there are people in India who can sustain on the Indian roads while following the civic rules too !

I think a guy needs a special mention in here who has made my belief [over the sensibility of our drivers] to tumble into an abyss; Last week, while driving to a fuel-up where I have to cross a market Rd , we were stranded due to one of the cars stopping on the road itself since there's no parking space just like any other normal indian road [ for their passengers to get down ] . There was a line of cars behind me and a lot of traffic piled up even on the opposite lane since it was a narrow part of the road with all vegetable carts stuffed up against the shoulder of the road. And now, just like any other Indian road, the bikers from the opposite lane were trying to squeeze their way between me and other auto waiting on the other lane and some successfully went through. And now, our 'Hero' car completes the unloading of passengers and started to move. I moved mine along with it while one more biker tried to squeeze in obstructing my path, but to his disappointment, there was no place to proceed. So he started to push back his bike into his lane while I was sheepishly waiting for him to move. And now, this gentle[mental]man, while still being on my lane, stops and takes out his phone to check out something [ a message or a call ; god damn it whatever it was]. When I honked, he put it back and moved and while passing beside him, I couldn't stop myself from telling the man when there's lot of traffic pooling behind , the phones can be checked later and in return he hurls abuses to me in the dirtiest way possible and all I could do was being dumbstruck. The only sane thing I could do is to drive away .

I know it was my mistake that I tried to imbibe some virtue [as if I am a Paragon of Virtue] to a road-side commoner who has little respect to the civic laws and society but I must say that most of our drivers may not hurl abuses at others but certainly , do think, that it is their birthright to check up their phones while driving and no one can snatch it away [thankfully, Death can do] !

Last edited by poised2drive : 5th June 2015 at 09:17.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed