Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 01:37   #7606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Could have been worse, she'd have... drowned!

But seriously: What hope is there when the teachers don't have a clue?
Old 10th June 2015, 10:17   #7607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Talking bout bad teachers, my cousin was told by her driving instructor to drive over standing water after a rain as it would clean the underbody of the car. The poor soul followed the instructor's advice to the 'T' and ended up with a broken tie rod and quite a red face!
Wonder where people get such brilliant ideas!!
I was told by my instructor that i have to always keep my left foot on top of clutch pedal (riding on clutch) so that it is easy to shift gears when driving inside city !

This was not just for 1st or 2nd gear but a general rule for all gears inside city :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
I guess we have all wondered - How do Drivers become "Bad Drivers". If this picture is anything to go by - they are "taught".

(Captured a lady "learner" being "instructed" by the teacher to drive on the wrong side of the median while negotiating a traffic jam)
On a busy morning when one side of the lane was having a big queue due to the signal, the bikers were taking over from the right (which is pretty common sight) and zooom.. came this guy !

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-08122010049.jpg

You see the gap between myself and the logan at the front because i waited to capture the sparely seen lane separator (yellow line) which would have not been visible if i tailed the logan bumper to bumper.

Then i closed the gap in the front to capture the registration of the bus.
Note the way he tries to merge into the lane after such an atrocious overtake on the wrong lane !

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-08122010050.jpg

And since the bikers and cars were not allowing him to merge in, he successfully ended up blocking traffic on the opposite lane !

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-08122010051.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-08122010052.jpg
Tamarind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 10:55   #7608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post

On a busy morning when one side of the lane was having a big queue due to the signal, the bikers were taking over from the right (which is pretty common sight) and zooom.. came this guy !

A similar incident happened with me last week near the pattabiram railway gate. I was waiting for the gate to open when this public transport bus comes over on my left where there is no road and slowly nudges close to me. I did not budge and kept moving straight ahead. This guy kept nudging me so much that he was just inches away from my car. With no other option I had to shift to the left and thats it! it fed him! he moved and moved and finally pushed me onto the oncoming traffic. It looked as if I had tried to pass over him from the wrong lane!

Such is the attitude of these guys. Just because they don't own that bus and its relatively of a huge size, they take advantage and wreak havoc on the roads
Old 10th June 2015, 11:13   #7609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Such is the attitude of these guys. Just because they don't own that bus and its relatively of a huge size, they take advantage and wreak havoc on the roads
The only effective way i have experienced till date with which you can handle these people without your BP rising nor spoiling the mood inside the car cabin is that to let them through !
You cannot win in any other way. Seriously.
Tamarind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:58   #7610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Here is another example - This gentleman will (1) Not wear a helmet (2) Drive in the middle of the lane at a leisurely pace and not bother to give way in spite of "respectful honks" to give way (3) Not bother to paint the registration number of his vehicle on the rear number plate.

Truly a Don of the community of Bad Drivers.
Now, look at it from another angle;
Allegations (1) & (2) cannot be proved against him even with a photograph because he has allegation (3) and am sure his front number plate if not missing would be illegible or false. Is n't he smart?
Old 10th June 2015, 19:20   #7611
BHPian

Quote:
A similar incident happened with me last week near the pattabiram railway gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
The only effective way i have experienced till date with which you can handle these people without your BP rising nor spoiling the mood inside the car cabin is that to let them through !
You cannot win in any other way. Seriously.
Hi,

Please allow me to chip in.

I have been at the receiving end of the MTC drivers so many times. These type of incidents is sure to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

On the other hand, public transportation always has priority and first right of way. This is because the bus has to stop mandatorily at the bus stops, and if it slows down or yields right of way to every other vehicle, then the 50-60 people travelling in it will be inordinately delayed.

murillo.
murillo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 10:39   #7612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Hi,
On the other hand, public transportation always has priority and first right of way. This is because the bus has to stop mandatorily at the bus stops, and if it slows down or yields right of way to every other vehicle, then the 50-60 people travelling in it will be inordinately delayed.
murillo.
The incident that happened with me was near a railway gate. This guy drove got down from the road, drove on the mud path, passed all the vehicles on their left side, came up to the gate and snuggled all the way in. I don't think this is an ethical way of driving a public transport.

Although we as individuals understand the ethics of sharing the road with other commuters, onus of understanding these ethics also falls on these public transport guys which they are ignorant of. The sheer irony is - driving is their profession and they don't seem to know even 0.5% of the road rules. The training system and the law should go hand in hand which unfortunately isn't

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 11th June 2015 at 10:40.
Old 13th June 2015, 19:56   #7613
Senior - BHPian

Buses getting space by bullying tactics is a sheer sight to behold in kochi. Especially in the south over bridge where two lanes on one side merge to a single lane bridge. Buses take the third non existent lane and force themselves into the single lane on the bridge. Others have no choice but to give way.

Who wants red paint on their car?
Old 13th June 2015, 22:56   #7614
BHPian

It's monsoon, heavy rain expected and having a broken wiper like that does make you a bad driver.
Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken when I was waiting at a signal. Blame the excess handshake.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1434216335701.jpg
Old 14th June 2015, 00:23   #7615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Buses getting space by bullying tactics is a sheer sight to behold in kochi.
Who wants red paint on their car?
You are absolutely right. Just today evening, while at Palarivattom bye pass signal junction, I find two of them red buses overtaking me at the same time, one from the right and another from the left through non existent lanes.

I braked hard and saved both of my side view mirrors. My wife was looking left and right in quick succession all the while praying to God.
Old 14th June 2015, 06:53   #7616
BHPian

Enter Odisha! NH-5! Your are driving in the speed regulated 80kmph fast lane. No medians in sight. You suddenly spot a biker with his headlamp ON / OFF coming the opposite / wrong direction. U swerve to avoid him, luckily there are no vehicles following you on the left lane! The bike gives you an accusing stare, as if it were your fault to be travelling in the correct lane. Bikes followed by cyclists, cars, even tractors! Thats NH-5 in Odisha for you. Include the city roads in Bhubaneswar. Add the same issue in the night too!
Brace for some hair-tearing experience, and utter lack of driving/lane sense.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:11   #7617
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one careless bad driver is enough to cause a chain accident injuring 3 people and causing chaotic traffic in the morning peak hour
This morning, I was driving through Devasandra and saw ahead that lots of vehicles came to a standstill at the beginning of the S bend before the Hoodi Railway overbridge. Seeing the mayhem, I entered a bylane that was devoid of vehicles, parked there and got out to the main road to see what had happened.
A TN registered Figo had stopped in the left lane and suddenly opened his door to get out, right in front of a local tyre repair/puncture shop. A lady on an Activa rammed into the Figo's door and fell down. Two motorbikes who were following closely, soon rammed into each other and the Activa bringing traffic on both lanes to a complete standstill
The 3 riders escaped with minor injuries and the Figo had a huge dent near the bottom of the door.
It took a good 15 minutes for the chaos to clear, enough to get a good cup of tea from a stall nearby where I'd parked the car. Started after the mess cleared and it was smooth sailing.

Last edited by NPV : 15th June 2015 at 10:12.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:49   #7618
BHPian

Quote:
Their attitude is mainly due to the transport unions, which declare wild cat strikes and leave the vehicles in the middle of the road for the smallest of aggression. While I agree they have a very tough job with the poorly maintained vehicles and other pressures, but none of it should be an excuse to side swipe other vehicles or bully them. Of late have also noticed them jumping red lights , and if there is a vehicle in front, then they "gently coax" them, by going close to them and raising the engine rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Hi,

murillo.
Looking at the bus in the earlier picture, I dont think he has a right of way in this manner. Also the route timings do account for some slippage and other issues on the way. I am sure you would have seen many buses parked at the side for issuing tickets and closing fare stage, which I dont think is a planned stop. That said, I have seen many MTC buses being sanely driven as well. Mostly these drivers used to start as regulars, and if they have an accident free driving for define period (not sure if its 5 or 10) they then used to get into the next level, which earlier could be identified by their blue uniforms. Not sure how it is now!!
Old 15th June 2015, 14:30   #7619
Senior - BHPian

These days the experienced drivers are tasked to drive volvos and other premium bus services (plastic seats and automatic doors if non ac).

And I heard from a regular auto driver friend who became a MTC driver that MTC is now billing them for any dents and scratches they put into the vehicle, so they sometimes don't prefer driving volvos which have a relatively flimsy body, even though it is much more comfortable to drive than the regular metal bodied, no power steering bone shakers.

They are also being made responsible for any fines imposed on them by the police - these get deducted from the payroll.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:03   #7620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A rickshaw entered the BRTS lane (in Rajkot as per the source) and the bus forced it to reverse all the way back where the divider had a break:

Serves him right!
Saw this happening to a BMW at Breach Candy the other day.
Stuck in traffic, two ladies in an X1 thought it would be easier to go down the wrong way, till they met with a BEST bus who was literally head-gating (what would the opposite of tail gate be?) them all the way till the road switched back to two lanes. Everytime they tried to stop to merge into the correct lane, he would get the bus so close that they would be forced to reverse.

Kudos to the bus driver!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed