Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 14:37   #7741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I know I'm always on about bikers, but I get increasingly worried and frustrated by this one:

Given a crowd of people crossing a road, even when cars are stopped, there will probably be a biker, not looking left or right, just driving straight through the crowd. Don't they have the manners to wait for a minute? No. Don't they have any respect for safety or comfort of others? No.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 22:34   #7742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Given a crowd of people crossing a road, even when cars are stopped, there will probably be a biker, not looking left or right, just driving straight through the crowd. Don't they have the manners to wait for a minute? No. Don't they have any respect for safety or comfort of others? No.
Well, when most bikers are not concerned about their own safety, asking them to be concerned about the safety of other road users is just too much to expect!

I've had way too many experiences with these imbecile bikers and every time I've been left amazed by their lackadaisical attitude and scant respect for fellow road users.
cataclysm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 16:58   #7743
BHPian

This happened with me a few months ago while my partner and me were coming back from Pune. We were crossing the JVLR around 4 or 5 pm when this guy in an Ertiga driving like a maniac passed me jamming my vehicle between himself and the road divider. I stood on my brake to make sure there was no contact between the two vehicles. He does the same with every other vehicle he passes, be it two or four wheeler. After a gap of maybe a km or two and cos he got stuck behind a BEST bus stopping at a bus stop, he again does exactly the same thing but while approaching a signal and finally collided into my almost halting vehicle for there'd signal. I get out to inspect the damage and my completely taken by surprise when I approach this dudes vehicle. He has two children in the car, the older kid no more than 3 years is standing between the front passenger side seat and the dash and the other child is an infant of maybe 6 months cradled in a woman's arm in the rear seat. I am just dumb-founded on seeing this didnt know what to say. To top this all, this dude is blaming me for rear ending my vehicle, while his wife is profusely apologising for the mess. What was further appalling was when there were others who reached the site, two wheelers and four wheelers, every single one was abusing him and the guy just drives away, and exactly the same way as he was earlier. I don't understand how people cannot care for their own children, if not worry for other road-users!
Gentle Giant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 18:00   #7744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
To top this all, this dude is blaming me for rear ending my vehicle, while his wife is profusely apologising for the mess.
Looks like a case of tanking up before driving (only this is a different kind of refinery spirit for human consumption). Jokes apart this only reaffirms my belief that under no circumstance can one prove oneself an expert driver by driving fast, stopping within 1 mm of another vehicle or criss-crossing between lanes to get ahead. There is no single formula which would help people get ahead in traffic, get in trouble - sure!

Traffic is dependent on a dozen different drivers at any point of time, while one may suddenly stop another may accelerate like there is no tomorrow, one may keep a lookout to prevent incidents another may take a blind turn. Reading the traffic movements, leaving 10 feet of minimum distance, use of indicators in advance and letting rash drivers overtake would be the safest way to survive on the road. Speed is for the track only. As regards unsafe seating practices, I've seen enough - kids standing in the boot space of an Omni, sitting inside the boot of a WagonR (with boot open), men sitting right up on Mahindra carriers luggage bay on top of 10 feet of luggage, people doing wheelies while the pillion stands up.. the scariest part of this is that any vehicle becoming collateral damage of such stupidity will also be deemed guilty of harm to life.

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd August 2015 at 18:04. Reason: Typo
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:40   #7745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Looks like a case of tanking up before driving (only this is a different kind of refinery spirit for human consumption). Jokes apart this only reaffirms my belief that under no circumstance can one prove oneself an expert driver by driving fast, stopping within 1 mm of another vehicle or criss-crossing between lanes to get ahead. There is no single formula which would help people get ahead in traffic, get in trouble - sure!

Traffic is dependent on a dozen different drivers at any point of time, while one may suddenly stop another may accelerate like there is no tomorrow, one may keep a lookout to prevent incidents another may take a blind turn. Reading the traffic movements, leaving 10 feet of minimum distance, use of indicators in advance and letting rash drivers overtake would be the safest way to survive on the road. Speed is for the track only. As regards unsafe seating practices, I've seen enough - kids standing in the boot space of an Omni, sitting inside the boot of a WagonR (with boot open), men sitting right up on Mahindra carriers luggage bay on top of 10 feet of luggage, people doing wheelies while the pillion stands up.. the scariest part of this is that any vehicle becoming collateral damage of such stupidity will also be deemed guilty of harm to life.

It's sad state of affairs. It's becoming an increasingly troublesome sight on the roads these days, triple seat two wheelers, rampant wrong-side driving, parking on narrow roads, road rage and the list just goes on and on. There has to be some definitive and strong deterrent imposed in form of hefty fines to offenders. I see traffic cops turning a blind eye to many of these. I live and work in Kalina and one has to see how the Kurla second hand spares market here has occupied a lane on each side of the road of this three lanes road. The shopkeepers display their wares on the road! And no authority does anything to counter this, what stops them from performing their legal duties and clearing off this public area for smoother traffic movement!
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 22:52   #7746
BHPian

I spot bad drivers almost everyday here. During my wait at the bus stop, I see that most of cars have drivers fiddling with their cell phones or adjusting make up, brushing nails etc...while having both hands off the wheel.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:25   #7747
Senior - BHPian

A commentary on what happens on typical Indian road.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 18:46   #7748
BHPian

The most easiest way to spot bad drivers is to just look out for motorists who are driving with ORVMs folded. Most of the motorists think that the internal RVM is more than enough to do the job, but they don't realise that there are certain blind spots, into which the vehicles tailing closely can just vanish. This can ultimately lead to tail end collisions during lane changing for overtaking. Tail end collisions at high speeds can send the vehicle into 180 degree spin, causing a pile up on the highway.
Old 30th August 2015, 23:26   #7749
BHPian

Yesterday after returning from a dinner, next to our apartment there was a police checkpost for drunken driving. Cops had stopped a car and before anyone could imagine he burnt rubber and escaped. He almost knocked off the barricading and was seemingly out of control. Luckily no one got hurt. I dread going out on Saturday nights as there are few who would be on DUI mode. I guess car manufacturers should be giving some sort of mode called DUI which can tune the engine to not go beyond 25kmph and is with enhanced steering and breaks. It should also change the blinkers to sort of different colour which can warn others of their presence.

Last edited by srinih75 : 30th August 2015 at 23:28. Reason: spelling fix
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 07:53   #7750
BHPian

Srini +1 to your sentiments. God has given us humans that special organ called brain and common sense. Nowadays many of us find uncommon use of common sense.
Old 31st August 2015, 08:01   #7751
Senior - BHPian

Does this qualify in the bad driver list or a nincompoop list? Look at the guts of the chap to have parked it this way in the driveway. Spotted this in Big Mall on Ghodbunder Road Thane on Saturday 29th August.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-p_20150829_190839.jpg  

Old 31st August 2015, 10:50   #7752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does this qualify in the bad driver list or a nincompoop list?
Guess he took the slogan, "Everybody makes way for a Bullet" a bit too seriously.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:04   #7753
BHPian

A very close friend's family just experienced a bad driver's clumsiness.

My friend's wife and his 5 year old daughter were coming back from the school on a rickshaw. The mother usually goes to school to pick the baby up from school on a rickshaw and the school is almost 1 kms away. They usually engage a rickshaw in summers as they feel comfortable walking during the winters.

The rickshaw is stopped at the red light. His mistake he was ahead of the zebra crossing. A clumsy driver talking on the phone unable to control his speed in a white Hyundai eon bangs the rickshaw. The lady and the kid and the rickshaw puller are all thrown away in different directions.

Impact - The lady is hurt in the hand and knees. The rickshaw puller also got saved with a few bruises here and there. The kid, however is left with a broken jaw and a major cut on the chin which now requires a plastic surgery.

The driver of the eon, thankfully did not run or maybe the crowd gathered did not allow him to run and takes all three of them to the hospital where the hospital staff insists them on making a complaint at 100. Now the family is getting the child treated.

All this havoc just because one person could not control his car maybe because he was fast or distracted or whatever. But this is really not worth it. Makes me think, whether our families, our kids, our parents are really safe when they step out of the house for a casual grocery/vegetable shopping. Is this really what we expect from our educated youth that they ridicule the rules and do whatever they think they can do.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:20   #7754
BHPian

Happened this Sunday morning around 10AM, Gorguntepalya Signal (Tumkur road). Takes some courage to jump a signal on a busy Highway.

Old 1st September 2015, 21:57   #7755
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

OT. Came across this video online. Couldn't help sharing. What a nut case!!
ps- is it a Fortuner?

Last edited by promit : 1st September 2015 at 22:09.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks