Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 11:06   #766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
1) Always keep an eye on the front wheels and tail lamp of the vehicles ahead they are the best indicator of what the driver is upto,
I don't understand. How is this possible?
Old 24th November 2009, 14:23   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
Sometimes guys bad drivers cannot be avoided.

You got to see it to believe it.
guess why I always say

`````GODSPEED`````

cHECK THIS OUT GUYS.
Believe me when I say no amount of safe driving could have avoided it. I was Taking a turn at 20kmph
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01175.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01176.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 21:04   #768
ada
BHPian

So sorry Vampire about your car, I can sympathise with you. The other day just after crossing a green signal I was waiting for the traffic to clear, a rick rammed me from behind. My new Ritz, not even six months, had a bent bumper and that too for no fault of mine. I felt so bad.
Old 27th November 2009, 11:56   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't understand. How is this possible?
Hi Gansan,

It applies on wide roads with at least two lanes (usually highways), lets consider a situation; while overtaking a vehicle, you never know if he will stick to his lane or not. in such a situation you can keep an eye on his front wheels if he intends to change his lane the front wheels(steering wheels) are the best indicator of where the vehicle is heading too. If a slight movement to the right is sensed you better hit your brakes. He might be trying to overtake a vehicle that is ahead of him or maybe simply does not want you to overtake him.

Hope i'm clear

Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 13:12   #770
BHPian

For Bangaloreans who use Airport Road.
This is what happens at Manipal Hospital Jn on Airport Road everyday.

Traffic from Domlur side will be waiting on the RIGHT lane (We should be DUMB to do that) to take a U turn. Then our Unschooled, Smartly Dressed Super Hero forms another lane (there is enough space to poke his nose, so why not?) parallel to the right lane. Soon his family members follow and quickly build a long line of IDIOTS. When it gets green for Right turn, these 2 lanes inch forward in parallel....only till it reaches the signal. At the signal, the Parallel lane IDIOT cuts across the traffic on the right lane and completes the U turn. His family of IDIOTS closely follow. They make sure that the guys who waited patiently on the right lane miss the signal.

I wonder at which end of his body is his brain located!

Why don't these guys understand that ONLY ONE LANE TURNS RIGHT?
Why don't these guys understand that ONLY ONE LANE TURNS LEFT?

As a good citizen, i make sure that the IDIOT on my left is pushed onto the barricades. Brainless Morons.

:(
Old 27th November 2009, 16:27   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
For Bangaloreans who use Airport Road.
This is what happens at Manipal Hospital Jn on Airport Road everyday.

Traffic from Domlur side will be waiting on the RIGHT lane (We should be DUMB to do that) to take a U turn. Then our Unschooled, Smartly Dressed Super Hero forms another lane (there is enough space to poke his nose, so why not?) parallel to the right lane. Soon his family members follow and quickly build a long line of IDIOTS. When it gets green for Right turn, these 2 lanes inch forward in parallel....only till it reaches the signal. At the signal, the Parallel lane IDIOT cuts across the traffic on the right lane and completes the U turn. His family of IDIOTS closely follow. They make sure that the guys who waited patiently on the right lane miss the signal.
I have seen this happen too. Have got stuck into the right most side very often. Similar problem @ Sony world signal too say if you come out from Oasis mall and have to take a u turn to go to Domlur.
I think apart from lack of apathy amongst road users it can also be attributed to improper planing. Why come up with a mall just 100m from a busy traffic signal with improper exits?
Old 27th November 2009, 16:34   #772
BHPian

^^ i stopped using sony world turn because of the oasis mall - i just turn in before the oasis mall
Old 27th November 2009, 17:44   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I live at Mumbai where money takes precedence over everything - includes life also. I have seen many young people talk incessantly over phone even while crossing a road - and not at the crossing meant for pedestrians and also at their leisurely pace. I had so many instances when I have stopped my car or called out from the window yelling at them but of no avail! When will they change?
They might change, once they are hit.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:21   #774
J.Ravi

As a preventive measure, it is better to know animal and human psychology to deal with the errant animals and humans. I am used to cross an obstructing cattle from its tail-end. Similarly, before overtaking a vehicle ahead of me [especially trucks and buses], I will generally see its front wheel. If it is straight or steered. I will overtake it only if the front wheel is straight. Similarly, while overtaking, it should be done as fast as possible with right speed and gear - no parrallel driving obstructing the entire carriage way, as the overloaded truck drivers usually do.

Old 12th December 2009, 10:49   #775
BHPian

I have seen few people in city who double park their vehicles with hazard warning lights on. It is as if they have followed the traffic rules by keeping the hazard warning lamps on and hence they have the right to double park their vehicles. This is one sign of how I spot a bad driver.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:55   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
I have seen this happen too. Have got stuck into the right most side very often. Similar problem @ Sony world signal too say if you come out from Oasis mall and have to take a u turn to go to Domlur.
I think apart from lack of apathy amongst road users it can also be attributed to improper planing. Why come up with a mall just 100m from a busy traffic signal with improper exits?
That is not just one example of bad planning. Most of the junctions in the city have BMTC bus stops just after the signal. When the light turns green, there will be a BMTC bus in the front that will just stop after crossing the signal because it is their bus stop. and people behind are left hapless. I mean who is the idiot who plans for these things. He should be for this kind of planning.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:05   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Lots of interesting ways to spot bad drivers. In my book, any driver who is not driving defensively is a bad driver. There are also a set of videos on this link (Driving a Cultural Change in India: Better & Safer Road Safety and Traffic in Indiatravelling in india, driving in india, learning to drive in india, driving test, free online driver education awareness training videos covering topics such as blind s), and I don't suppose there's a single good driver exists in India when one goes through what the videos say.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:56   #778
BHPian

After substantial experience, I would like to propose the following addition to the list:

Anyone riding a two wheeler or driving an A segment hatchback with a GJ registration should be presumed dangerous until proven otherwise.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:37   #779
BHPian

Though i'am a newbie i would like to share my experience with all of u in spotting bad drivers. Moderators pls excuse if the post becomes lenghty. I have to do this
  • bangalore's scourge- 3 wheel autos. Assumption:If the front wheel fits into the gap between vehicles, then the rest of the auto will follow. My car has borne the brunt of such idiots.Watch out at signals for autos behind you
  • 2 wheelers. Now there are two kinds of bikers. One who ride @ 30kmph mopeds bang in the middle of the road and the others who zig zag on their pulsars, RTR etc. Again quite akin to their auto cousins they cause the most damage when at signals. They are not happy if they don't touch the front tyre of their bikes to rear bumbers. Zig zagger revs his engine quite constantly at signals and the 30 kmpher is as deaf as a ding bat. 2 honks and if he does not move aside then u know whom you are up against
  • My favourtite pedestrians. They think that they can put up their hand like a traffic police man with the stop sign and cross the road whereever they want and the poor motorist is supposed to slow down or stop even if means that he is at 60 or 80 kmph on the ring road. Keep your eyes peeled for pedestrians standing on road dividers/ medians
  • Truckers/ sand lorries : I own the road attitude. They drive in the middle of the as such narrow roards and don't budge. Watch out for the alignment of the front tires. Even if you get the sligtest hint that it is turned, back off!!
  • My personal favorite: Idiots with high beam on and flashing brake lights and blinking head lighlights( believe me. There is one particular honda city which has blinking led head lights ). Then there are these really white lights.
  • Last but not the least: Bless the sweet souls who keep honing away to glory behind you, when you are at the signl and the color is red. U get horns that keeps echoing to the ones that sound like wailing babies. Jeez are these people nuts? As much as possible please let these jokers past you so that you can drive in peace
Old 24th December 2009, 11:22   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
Though i'am a newbie i would like to share my experience with all of u in spotting bad drivers. Moderators pls excuse if the post becomes lenghty. I have to do this
[*]My favourtite pedestrians. They think that they can put up their hand like a traffic police man with the stop sign and cross the road whereever they want and the poor motorist is supposed to slow down or stop even if means that he is at 60 or 80 kmph on the ring road. Keep your eyes peeled for pedestrians standing on road dividers/ medians

Nice Observations Prats! You may be a newbie in this forum but you sure do have a lot of experience on this bangalore traffic. The one I personally hate is the people crossing the road showing a stop sign at you like traffic police. Not at all bothered about the speed of the incoming vehicle. Believe me they are worse than the Dogs that you find them killed on the road due to high speed vehicles. Those poor animals have no brain of their own and no-one would slam breaks for them but what to say to these so called humans with no brains. I travel on ORR most of the time and god knows how many times I had to slam my breaks for these idiots and soon after that I was ready to hear a bang from the rear of my car. Fortunately I have not been in a situation where a vehicle was traveling behind me all those times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks