Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:31   #796
Team-BHP Support

For those who reside in Bangalore would know what I'm on about.

A few Sundays back, I was driving my Santro and I'd just reached Ulsoor lake from Old Madras Road. I'd just passed Phillips Millenia and there was a red light. I'd stopped for it despite there being no traffic at all. I waited patiently for the lights to turn green when an imbecile of a Sumo cabbie stood right behind me and honked away to glory. I refused to give way and even pointing to the signal lights gesturing that it was red.

The hot headed fellow tried to actually push me with his car! But I decided not to get into any sort of physical or verbal joust with the moron as I had a female companion with me and it would be dangerous to get involved in anything, especially since it was quite late in the day and it was raining!

I sincerely hope that one day, the cops swing into action and strip these clowns of their licences before anything untoward happens!

- People who unnecessarily honk even during the night.
- People who switch lanes. Those who find the next lane moving faster would immediately turn into the next lane in order to get a move on and inturn block moving traffic from behind.
- People on motor cycles who try and cut through traffic. When you're reversing, motorists trying to get around you instead of waiting for you to reverse completely.
- People who keep the high beam on all the time every time without any consideration for on-coming traffic. I understand that some cars have weak lights but when you have vehicles coming towards you and signaling you to switch to low beam, learn to turn it off!
- Larger vehicles like Buses and Trucks that have no regard for vehicles around them.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:55   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I waited patiently for the lights to turn green when an imbecile of a Sumo cabbie stood right behind me and honked away to glory. I refused to give way and even pointing to the signal lights gesturing that it was red.
Suhaas,

Thats very much true. I find myself in the same situation almost every other day. A RED traffic signal and you are ought to stop, but with those morons at the back honking so wildy, you will be left with no option other than breaking the signal. The worst part is the BMTC bus drivers breaking the signal and moving on just like it is a signal free junction.

For me, any driver who doesnt follow the lane discipline is the worst ever. They are prone to cause more accidents, put their life at risk and others life as well.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:43   #798
BHPian

I always try to leave a meter or more distance on my left to give space to two wheelers and autos. When people move on to extreme left then two wheelers tend to take on the right side to move on. I have faced it so many times as 4 wheelers come over to left side and when they try to over take from your left you are then forced to move out to the right.
Old 13th January 2010, 00:08   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted: A Gadget:

With a display screen that says BACK OFF: You're Too Close for the back window. Be good if it alternated English and Tamil.

Oh, it'd be neat if I could switch it to say "Sorry" because sometimes that's needed too!
Old 13th January 2010, 12:09   #800
BHPian

I have found that bikers who are tailgating me quickly stop after a little dose from my smokescreen :P
Old 13th January 2010, 16:27   #801
BHPian

I am afraid of the drivers driving with their ORVM's folded and then trying to change their lanes very frequently. What else, when I was coming to delhi, near gurgaon I saw a lady driving her 800 with ORVM's folded. Top of that her rear windshield had a cover with some advertising meaning she was not even using the IRVM. and she was driving in the 6 lane road frequently changing her lanes. Heck, I was too afraid to overtake her and I kept myself behind her all the time till she decided to forgive the poor souls like me on the road and took a turn at a toll gate.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:36   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

With a display screen that says BACK OFF: You're Too Close for the back window. Be good if it alternated English and Tamil.

Oh, it'd be neat if I could switch it to say "Sorry" because sometimes that's needed too!
And I need that on either side too.
The problem is whoever reads it, would already be too close and sure there would be another one behind him even closer, not letting him back-off.!
Old 13th January 2010, 16:56   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I am afraid of the drivers driving with their ORVM's folded and then trying to change their lanes very frequently. What else, when I was coming to delhi, near gurgaon I saw a lady driving her 800 with ORVM's folded. Top of that her rear windshield had a cover with some advertising meaning she was not even using the IRVM. and she was driving in the 6 lane road frequently changing her lanes. Heck, I was too afraid to overtake her and I kept myself behind her all the time till she decided to forgive the poor souls like me on the road and took a turn at a toll gate.

+100 to what Atul said

I drive daily on that road & numerous espacially small cars have OVRM folded & just keep changing. I mean what are they trying to save & a OVRM is far cheaper then life.

Dont know when in india people will obey Lanes
Old 15th January 2010, 12:50   #804
BHPian

This is a very informative topic.I am from Hyderabad and find the reading very interesting and informative as the rules(if any) are very different here. Like not stopping when the signal light turns red etc....

I would also like to make a point about the design of the Auto trolley by Piaggio (APE)- it has projections of over six inches on either side and this is reinforced with more steel for fabricating the rear. I have witnessed two instances where the auto driver had a brush against a Sumo and a Car badly damaging them.... How can we have the authority considering and approving such design.

The Horn is the best indicator of the Driver a seasoned driver will use it sparingly and the rest will have it fitted on the seat.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any count as I may be a Bad Driver too-As They say while in Rome Drive like a Roman.
Old 15th January 2010, 14:05   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Well, what might happen is, people will start coming closer to read what it says out of curiosity.

When I see someone tailgating or even trying to come closer, I switch my left indicator & let them pass me.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:41   #806
BHPian

How to spot bad drivers? The question should be how to spot good drivers. The former are a dime a dozen, while the latter are fast becoming an exceedingly rare species in the country.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:08   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Even though extra lights are very unnecessary, high beams are a requirement in city traffic these days due to people crossing suddenly in darkness. It will be difficult to identify someone crossing within 20~30 meters with low beam. this is particularly true for drivers with spectacles
I usually Switch to high beam (stock) on poorly lit roads and near curves. 95% of the time i haven't had the need to put on high beam in city
Old 16th January 2010, 17:45   #808
BHPian

So VAMPIRE you were drunk when you met with an accident and the cops bashed up the taxi driver, and you spent 40K for the repairs. Good this is useful information but I guess drinking and driving at 2 in the night is not what we learn in this site. Sorry but I had to speak out.
Old 17th January 2010, 14:46   #809
BHPian

I think in chennai you should also avoid bikers and especially two wheelers driven by girls. A girl bumps into your car its your fault and everybody will throw fit at the way you are driving and feel pity for the girl. The teary eyed routine these girls pull is absolutely hillarious. So predicatable. Once they start every guy standing around will turn into a hero helping the damsel in distress.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:45   #810
BHPian

What do you say about morons on 2-wheelers riding zig-zag on absolutely empty road. I had this one chap today in front of me who I think suddenly had some kind of fit or had some reason to feel ecstatic that he suddenly had a feeling to start riding his bike zig-zag on an empty right lane. I think he was missing the heavy traffic on this particular road and was imagining the cars in his imagination so he had to overtake them doing zig-zag.

Most Viewed