Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:49   #8176
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

So,

The worst possible end to a team outing, getting stuck in this on the way back:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1478516d1455992740accidentsindiapictures1455992728987.jpg

What's worse? Meeting someone who thinks the 'Sportz' of the car variant actually means it's a rally car of something.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20160220_143934.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20160220_143938.jpg

Buddy, don't know who you are, seeing the Team-BHP sticker, hoping you're on the forum. You can't, on a ghat, within hundreds of car, just snake your way. It looks okay on a Nokia phone to do that(Snake game joke), but not real life.

Furthermore, you almost tried nudging my car two times. It'll almost be like self harm if you try to bump a Safari with an i20.

Drive safe. You definitely got extra BHP.

Regards,
Rohan.
rohansachar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:03   #8177

Another one would be people who would park right on the tarmac itself rather than getting down. And those who do will come on to the tarmac without even bothering to look at the incoming traffic. In both the cases, it is assumed that safety of their vehicle is responsibility of the traffic on road.

Yes that's another way to spot one. In a long jam, they keep changing lanes at the slight movement of traffic not realising that the jam gets more painful by such like actions and words if you honk continuously.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd February 2016 at 11:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 27th February 2016, 11:22   #8178
BHPian

Near Fatal ? Do not miss the drama at the end of the video

couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 12:13   #8179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Ah man that was a tight squeeze. You pissed him off and he reacted in a crazy way.

Wish you had given him some time to give way a bit more though till at least he was properly in the middle lane.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:26   #8180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not trying to judge who was right or who was wrong there, but experienced highway drivers will tell you that the right thing would have been to anticipate the Innova guy to sway to the right as there was a slow tractor in his path. Yes he was the one changing lanes should do so only if his path is clear, but we cannot bank on other drivers to watch their mirrors. We need to ensure our car is out of harm's way. We don't want to be wedged between the divider and that other car, do we? If that guy continued to sway to the right you had nowhere to go!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th February 2016 at 12:27. Reason: Snipped video link
Santoshbhat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 13:02   #8181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely could have been fatal.Not trying to judgemental, but in my opinion, better to adopt a more defensive/anticipatory driving strategy in such cases. You were into the overtaking move before the innova had fully moved to the left lane. Even with the qualis in front, you were right on its tail as it was moving out to the left lane. If something goes wrong, as it almost happened with the innova, it will leave you no time to react.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th February 2016 at 13:05.
Old 27th February 2016, 13:30   #8182
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreed. Other thoughts...

If someone is giving way to you, wait until they actually have done so.

People think they have a right to overtake. No, we do not. It is wrong to block other drivers, but there is no right of overtaking.

Always remember that the driver that you think should be getting out of your way, may be able to see something we may not have seen or noticed.

Yes, if someone had squeezed past me in that gap, I would have been pissed off too, but I would not have risked my own vehicle, let alone the safety of another. I might have made the same gestures, but from a safe distance.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th February 2016 at 13:31.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 14:00   #8183
Distinguished - BHPian

I definitely think the mistake was with the Innova driver, no two ways about it. He was driving in the middle of two lanes, moves to the left and comes swerving as he doesn't want to brake. But then, I expect 0 brains with somebody driving a yellow plate Innova - they think they are invincible. A smaller car would have braked and gave way to the Innova, which I believe has been the driver's experience and he couldn't digest the fact he didn't get the right of way this time.

What car you drive - looks like something big? And the noise insulation looks top class - the horn is muted well inside.

I saw the same driving style with Qualis too, driving in the middle of two lanes and a lot of honking to make them move into either lane.

I believe there was a lady in your vehicle, which prompted the driver to do the stunt at the end (safer to mess with family guy as backlashes are pretty much averted); if it was packed with guys, he would have thought thrice before doing it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th February 2016 at 14:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 14:06   #8184
BHPian

With constant honking Innova started moving towards left and suddenly he moved towards right as there was a tractor on the left. Could not see the tractor till I overtook Innova. Not shifting the blame entirely on Innova driver and I have missed to apply defensive driving. Lesson learnt in a hard way.

Not using indicators while changing lanes is not only prevalent in NH48 and you can notice in each and every road across the length and breadth of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

What car you drive - looks like something big? And the noise insulation looks top class - the horn is muted well inside.

I saw the same driving style with Qualis too, driving in the middle of two lanes and a lot of honking to make them move into either lane.

I believe there was a lady in your vehicle, which prompted the driver to do the stunt at the end (safer to mess with family guy as backlashes are pretty much averted); if it was packed with guys, he would have thought thrice before doing it.
It is Duster.

Innova was behaving like a maniac and was signaling to stop me immediately. As I was on the right lane, had to honk a lot to make quails move towards left. You would have seen that after over taking quails I would have move towards left if I had to stop. In the meanwhile Innova was coming from the left and was pushing me towards right.

With the family, I was in no mood to get out of the car or even to stop it. Innova was full of guys and do not want to take chances in a not familiar location.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2016 at 19:17. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Thanks!
couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 17:05   #8185
BHPian

This Innova is example of another familiar group of people we encounter in our highways - Maintaining the speed is their ultimate target and if disturbed/ made to brake , bully the other vehicle especially when it's occupied by family/ladies. They go nuts if someone make them brake (only if that vehicle is smaller than them,of course).
I would say it's wrong on the Innova's part. If he had seen the tractor and proposed to move to right lane,he should've put indicator and started moving instead of behaving like a cat on a wall to go on to which lane.
Having said that, we can drive as per rules perfectly but we shouldn't expect the others to drive by that too in our country.
Not being judgemental,but I think you could've reduced speed and gave way for him at least after spotting the tractor.

P.s to the Innova "hero": Try this with a Fortuner /M- class with party flags.
printh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:15   #8186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Near fatal for the Innova, certainly.
Quote:
With constant honking...
You definitely use the horn quite intensively. Ever tried driving without using the horn at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
This Innova is example of...Maintaining the speed is their ultimate target and if disturbed/ made to brake , bully the other vehicle...
I would say it's wrong on the Innova's part. If he had seen the tractor and proposed to move to right lane...
That is exactly what couswheels was doing - bullying other (slower) road users with his horn.

The tractor, however, started the whole story - came from the left-most lane and caused the Innova to run out of space.
Quote:
P.s to the Innova "hero": Try this with a Fortuner /M- class with party flags.
So we need to only give way to others based on the size / price / flag flying on their cars, right? A cheap little hatch without flags can get bullied off the road and crash and burn in hell, isn't it?
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:32   #8187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Near fatal for the Innova, certainly.

You definitely use the horn quite intensively. Ever tried driving without using the horn at all?

That is exactly what couswheels was doing - bullying other (slower) road users with his horn.
Of course the horn has to be used to wake up sleeping drivers on a dual carriageway blocking both of the lanes and that too whose indicators doesn't work.
Old 27th February 2016, 20:21   #8188
BHPian

@ SSTraveller - I think you jumped the gun. My comment was sarcastic mate. Will the Innova driver do the same thing with the big guys I had mentioned. Definitely not. He will fear such vehicles. Why then do the same thing to only small vehicles alone is my point.
Cousonwheels was maintaining 95-100 kmph in a 4 lane highway.what else he can do to get the "slow" vehicles off from the "fast" lane or between 2 lanes apart from honking? I don't support the constant honking, though, it's exactly what's necessary and practical in our country highways! I would have shared your comment,if he was going at high speeds and honking others to get off the way in any lane.
printh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 22:33   #8189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
This Innova is example of another familiar group of people we encounter in our highways - Maintaining the speed is their ultimate target and if disturbed/ made to brake , bully the other vehicle especially when it's occupied by family/ladies. They go nuts if someone make them brake (only if that vehicle is smaller than them,of course)
They know well that they get excellent mileage if they maintain a constant speed, and they also need to maintain a good average speed to reduce the trip time. Too much to ask, but they do it, by bullying others.

Quote:
Try this with a Fortuner /M- class with party flags.
I bet he won't be crossing the next toll booth, before he gets pulled over either by cops or by a group of 'capable hands'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Near fatal for the Innova, certainly
The Innova guy didn't see it coming, and his assumption that he can bully the overtaking vehicle went terribly wrong.
Old 28th February 2016, 23:44   #8190
BHPian

Found a similar maha-purush on NH4 today.

Hogging center of the road. Does not move even after good amount of honking / flash.

500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed