Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 17:04   #8266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
This behaviour is on the rise since I was in my teens. Parents allowing kids to drive, manage accelerator and brakes,giving them small mopeds etc. It was & is rampant in my hometown Neyveli in Tamilnadu.
Young driving experience is not all bad.

My first driving lessons were sitting on my father's lap and steering the car around open fields. I don't know how old, but my feet would not have reached the pedals. This was strictly off-road and at very slow speeds. I don't think anything on-the-road would have occurred to either of us.

Later, and bigger, he would let me take the driving wheel from the passenger seat. He would let me operate the gear lever. These things happened on clear, wide rural roads. Other factors include the low traffic density of early-60s UK country roads and... I bet he could have moved faster than me if he had needed to.

The other side of the coin was that he made me wait a whole year after getting to the legal age to drive a car in UK before allowing me to actually drive the car and giving me proper lessons. That was a tough year. Responsible parents: don't you just hate them sometimes?
Old 18th April 2016, 21:55   #8267
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile in BLR.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1460996713552.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 10:48   #8268
BHPian

Yesterday night NICE Road from BG Road towards Mysore Road, this moron in a fortuner (KA32N6504) almost took me out. Didn't have my dash cam else would have posted it here.

Constantly flashing headlights, honking, zig zagging b/w trucks and at one point even went off road to overtake trucks who were hogging all the lanes.

He came so close to me three times on my tail, that I was sure there was something bound to happen. My entire life flashed before my eyes and I'm not even married lol 😁

If you're reading this, do note that just because you drive a humongous gas guzzling suv, doesn't you give you the authority to bully other vehicles on the road.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:43   #8269
BHPian

2 days back i was driving to office from the Hitech MMTS station towards Hitech Flyover. That stretch is normally a bumper to bumper traffic. One biker tried squeezing his way between two cars and got stuck, scraping one of then, a Santro. Lucky for him, it is was crawling speeds so he did not fall. As i crossed then, both biker and car driver were beginning to argue so don't know what happened, but guess it would just have been a heated exchange of words as no serious damage was done. But this is a such a common issues, bikers squeezing between cars at slow traffic. I am sure it would not be the last time such accidents happens.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:02   #8270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
moron in a fortuner (KA32N6504) almost took me out. Didn't have my dash cam else would have posted it here.
That car's from Gulbarga and is registered in the name of some Parwath Reddy. He might have been in a hurry to reach Gulbarga probably. What was he thinking? Unfortunately, capable vehicles such as Fortuners have ended up with undeserving hands and we are observing the results here. Nothing much left to say!
Quote:
I'm not even married
Neither am I The same thing happens to me when some moron of the above kind tailgates me or cuts me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I am sure it would not be the last time such accidents happens.
I had my own experience today. In fact, two bad incidents early this morning.

Incident 1: I was on the other car (carpool), so no dashcam and I had to drive since my friend wasn't feeling like driving. There was this yet-to-be-registered Mahindra two-wheeler with a rowdy-kind-of guy riding while a girl was riding pillion. He almost took out the left-side ORVM. Thankfully, it ended up with a minor scratch and nothing serious. My friend was angry not because someone scratched his car, but because the other guy did not have the courtesy to even say "sorry". He rolled down the window and shouted at him and then we got back the "sorry" we wanted. It did not end there and we saw him totally out of control. Guess he was a newbie. Wonder why they come on main-roads when they are still learning!

Incident 2: There's this junction called Koramangala Water Tank signal where 4 roads join. The signal was Red when I reached and the timer became 0.., ideally an indication that it turns Green. That wasn't the case! There were a bunch of cars in front of me who zipped through even when it was red. There was this Tata Ace on our tail and he started accelerating so hard, if I hadn't started then, he would have banged us! This also did not end there! He pushed me out to the open road and on to the junction when the signal still had not turned green. Apparently, the traffic cop decided to switch it to manual I was stuck in the middle of the junction since the other side started moving as they had a green, while I was blocking them. This Ace somehow managed to stop at the last moment, but that was an embarrassing situation for me since I try my best not to disobey the signals. He was so adamant that he did not reverse until the cop came and made him to move. The cop, thankfully understood our situation and did not say anything. Even if they put a fine on this incident, I am ready to pay since I had crossed the line.., but I just wish for some sense to prevail on these yellow-board drivers.

Wonder when we will have a dashcam on this car since my friend is a very slow decision maker and is not making up his mind on the model of dashcam to purchase
Old 24th April 2016, 09:16   #8271
BHPian

When law enforcers break the law! Triple riding on a motorcycle. And they proudly put up "POLICE" sticker on that bike.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_4718.jpg

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 24th April 2016 at 09:17.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 18:30   #8272
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Example of bad parenting:
http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/7...d-road-1395827

As if it was not shocking enough that a 7 year old is driving the scooter, the dad says he has been letting her drive since the age of four!
What a fabulous chap he must be! What a complete idiotiferous dunderhead too!
Wow!
Will wonders never cease in this land of lands?
Nonsense people is what anyone would say!
Old 25th April 2016, 08:21   #8273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Example of bad parenting:
http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/7...d-road-1395827

As if it was not shocking enough that a 7 year old is driving the scooter, the dad says he has been letting her drive since the age of four!
The kid happens to be the only child of her parents. So the father must think twice or may be thrice if he has to allow the 7 yr old child to ride. What if she loses balance and falls. The weight of the scooter will be more than enough to crush the poor kid.
Does the father have brains??
Old 25th April 2016, 20:02   #8274
BHPian

Sorely missing a dashcam in my car guys Or else I can be continuously posting the infinite stupidity I encounter daily in our roads.
Here's an example of what happened just few minutes ago:
There is an acute left bend in bazaar area of our township. Since, I learnt driving and started to drive, I have seen almost everyone who traverse that bend turn in the right extreme side where the usual oncoming traffic is supposed to come. Today, as usual I drove my car on the left side of the road and a car & a couple of two wheelers were taking the bend on the opposite side. I stopped the car as they were continually coming in the path of dashing with me. The two wheeler guys stopped and asked me as why I am driving in their path having lot of space on my side (they were referring the extra mud space in the turn ). I replied back , I am driving where I am supposed to and only you guys were driving forgetting this is India and not USA to drive on right side. Then they muttered something and left. At last, I was portrayed as someone who drove in the wrong side and bullying others.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461594626.402805.jpg
The thinner line is myself and the thicker one are the people mentioned above and the smeared area is the off-the-road mud area, where I was supposed to go according to them.
I am afraid as time goes, I might end up forgetting all the rules.
printh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 23:29   #8275
Distinguished - BHPian

My dashcam video of a bad cab driver.

I was driving on the Uttarahalli main road towards Padmanabhanagar.
People familiar with this area will know that this road especially during peak hours is irritating and overtaking is almost impossible.

I was following an Innova. At around 23 seconds into the video, a swift dzire cab started to overtake me and was parallel to my car.
Around 27 seconds into the video I spot a lady crossing the street.
She had crossed half the road and waiting for vehicles to pass before she can cross completely.

The cab driver would've spotted her even before me since she was straight in his line
Even after seeing her, the cab driver didn't slow down and was driving parallel to me
She was scared seeing two cars coming towards her and probably would've thought that she would be hit.

I had to brake hard to avoid any mishap. I was enraged and tried to catch him and give him a piece of my mind, but that idiot escaped overtaking the Innova also from left and turning left into a road
Old 26th April 2016, 09:27   #8276
BHPian

Reading posts on this thread and watching people driving on roads, I feel some of the major factors behind such craziness are "Motor Insurance" and "Bullying". They know that even if they damage their vehicle in some way, there's the insurance company to pay for damages. And even if they're at fault, they will bully others and extract money for treating their damages.

Had there been no provisions of insurance, personal vehicle drivers would have been much more careful than they currently are (commercial ones don't care anyway). The " thrill of high speed driving" would also have been contained to a significant extent. After all, monetary loss running into lakhs is no small deal for many. But we can only crib because insurance is here to stay and so is reckless driving.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 26th April 2016 at 09:29. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 26th April 2016, 13:09   #8277
BHPian

Not a bad driver, actually a good driver.
Thought it would be a nice exception here among all the baddies.

Yesterday (25 April) night around 10.30 pm. Hyundai Xcent Taxi (priyadarshini lady taxi) MH 46 AD 1537. Noticed you in front of Ghansoli station (inner side, not the Thane Belapur road). You went straight towards Koperkhairne station, took left into the subway, then right on to Thane Belapur Road and went straight. I was right behind your car till then and I took a left turn and you went straight.

Good careful driving, not fast, but not slow at all, no honking, no rash driving. And surprised me by using your indicator when you took left at the subway and again right under the flyover to thane belapur road. Rare instance of indicator usage, that too by an yellow plate car. Sister, you are a nice good driver.
JohnyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 15:21   #8278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My dashcam video of a bad cab driver.

I had to brake hard to avoid any mishap. I was enraged and tried to catch him and give him a piece of my mind, but that idiot escaped overtaking the Innova also from left and turning left into a road
Well, Hemanth, who was the bad driver now?

But that said, at least the cabbie used the indicator! Most of the gentlemen I come across, are alien to the concept of using that stalk on the steering assembly. They'd suddenly discover the urgent need to stop and pull over. Do they really care who's behind?
Though I secretly wish that they drag along few of those left side overtaking bikers along with them when they pull over. I guess I am evil in a way.
Old 26th April 2016, 16:13   #8279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Well, Hemanth, who was the bad driver now?
I'm also a human and do get angry.
But I wouldn't call myself a bad driver for this (I do not say that I'm the best driver either)
I would've called myself a bad driver if I had tried to catch him without caring for the traffic or other road users in the process of doing so.
Or If I had got into a physical fight, or If I had hindered traffic just to have a word with him.

All I mean to say is, being in a safe zone, If I could catch him, I would have done that.

Quote:
But that said, at least the cabbie used the indicator!
Using indicators doesn't give the 'right' to move in that particular direction. As the word says, its an indication.
It is supposed to be used to advertise intent to turn or change lanes toward that side
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 17:05   #8280
Senior - BHPian

Had half a mind to get down and whack this fella, but then realised that you don't get multigrain rotis in jail

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461670486.618023.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks