Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 22:56   #8476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Spotted at Maddur (Mysore-Bangalore Highway). Not as clear as expected as it is a dashcam grab.

Question: Guess the number of kids in the Omni above. Hint: The visible kids are actually sitting in the boot.
Its very common! I get to see a OMNI with around 10 kids everyday out of them 3 of them actually sit on the cylinder behind! Upon confronting them once that how can they make kids sit on the cylinder they said its only because they have to squeeze as many kids possible so that they will be able to make a profit from their work.

This was just not once, I have seen such omnis in several areas with kids filled in them, I Also wonder how can the parents send their children's like that.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:21   #8477
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how people get guts to stop the car on this traffic heavy NICE road just to click some pics. In this case they have blocked the 2 wheeler lane.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap1.jpg

And here, this guy has parked his car exactly at the entry from BG road to NICE road. Making it difficult for people to enter the NICE road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap2.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:56   #8478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The second part is of the 'middle finger flash' I received today morning, all because I refused to jump the red light. The Indica fellow, who needed to make a left right after the signal , cancelled the turn indicator, chased me all the way, blessed me with his 'sign' and then scooted off, lest I chase him (or, so he thought).
I find this kind of behavior really really horrendous and shocking. When a vehicle behind you urges (via the horn) to jump a light -- so they can take a free left. It happened to me a few weeks back. An XUV kept honking non-stop at a light. I actually took off my belt, to turn around and look back. He was in an agitated manner pointing towards the left. How could I jump a full moving red light. I was not sure what to do. I just turned around, but the XUV kept honking for 40-45 seconds more. He really seemed angry and aggressive. Talk about, hyper. For what -- being delayed by 90 seconds. I fail to understand.

I now make it a point not to block that free left. It is a 90 degree free left and not a curve, so it is difficult at times, since Indian traffic, sardines ones vehicle in an involuntary manner. It seems when us Indians belt down in the car, we also hook in a bag full of EGO.

What is wrong with India and the Selfie Craze. Gosh. People have become so vain and self obsessive. Well: I was taking the climb up from Dehra Dun to my home town, Mussoorie. There was a land slide at two points (traffic was at a halt), and I saw the following idiotic activities:

1. Drivers taking selfies while negotiating curves. I was shocked, and my mouth was actually open.
2. Drivers clicking photos of the foggy hills -- again while driving.
3. People standing precariously close to the edge of the road to get a click done. (By the way, two people died a few weeks ago, because of this).
4. People standing (and blocking) next to working JCBs, for a picture. Why...?
5. Cars stopping against the wall sides -- to get a click of a baby waterfall, simultaneously blocking 20 cars behind.
6. Passengers and drivers openly drinking beer from bottles (well even a glass is just as bad), in moving vehicles.
7. Little children hanging out of sun roof, with the vehicle moving. Seriously not joking.

There is no sense of safety and civil decorum.
Old 7th July 2016, 12:36   #8479
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning after I parked the car at one of the upper levels of the multi level car park in our campus, I took the elevator and reached the ground floor. About a minute later, I heard a loud sound like a train honking with a lot of echo and then it continued every 2 minutes or so about 4-5 times. Many of us on the ground floor including the security guys were looking up towards the ramp of car park and then it struck that one of the cars going up was honking madly at the entry of each level as he was going up
Old 7th July 2016, 12:42   #8480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post

I now make it a point not to block that free left.
I understand. I never block the left lane either; in our roads everything is free, not just the turns.
In this case, the left turn was a good hundred metres after the 'stop line'. You can see the traffic flowing towards it. The Indica didn't plan on making that left though. The left the car had indicated to take was the one after the signal, a good 200 mts or more from the 'stop line'.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:46   #8481
BHPian

Saw some terrible drivers on my trip the other day. Really couldn't believe the level of stupidity that exists on our roads.

I was approaching the signal. Saw it turn amber from some distance and so slowed down. This nutcase behind me goes hyper, and overtakes me from the left trying to cross before the signal goes red. Gets stuck in the middle of the junction. Had to reverse and stopped well after the stop line.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-p_20160705_175244.jpg

Sorry for the low quality on this one. Had to take it from the IRVM. A Force Trax filled to capacity. Was traveling at about 70 kph when I overtook it. No seat belts and the driver on the phone. 3 people in the front along with the driver and a kid . This is a case of bad driving and terrible parenting. The Trax has a metal bar just below the windshield, presumably of the front passengers to hold on. The kid was standing up (I think) and holding onto the bar. A crash at this speed would definitely crush the kid and launch the rest of the front occupants through the windshield. This is just a terrible tragedy waiting to happen.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-p_20160705_135642.jpg
Old 7th July 2016, 14:20   #8482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I was approaching the signal. Saw it turn amber from some distance and so slowed down. This nutcase behind me goes hyper, and overtakes me from the left trying to cross before the signal goes red. Gets stuck in the middle of the junction. Had to reverse and stopped well after the stop line.
With the KA registration, I thought it's a cabbie in Bang-galore city - the antics match the general expectation. Then I realised that it's a private car registered in Udupi and in Kerala territory. Stupidity knows no bounds, my friend. It unites people across the world. Wish there was a speeding tipper lorry crossing the road at that very moment... I know it's not the best that can happen to the arrogant sod in the car, but such drivers need some lessons.

No comments on the Trax. Remember, we still have people comparing the sturdy built and seating capacity of an Ambassador which could carry 4 people on the back seat and another 3 on the front seat, and all their luggage for a paltry 4-5L while a modern hatchback that costs a princely sum of 7-8L can't seat more than 5 nor can it come back in the original shape after a mild fender-bender.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 15:00   #8483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
With the KA registration, I thought it's a cabbie in Bang-galore city - the antics match the general expectation. Then I realised that it's a private car registered in Udupi and in Kerala territory. Stupidity knows no bounds, my friend. It unites people across the world. Wish there was a speeding tipper lorry crossing the road at that very moment... I know it's not the best that can happen to the arrogant sod in the car, but such drivers need some lessons.

No comments on the Trax. Remember, we still have people comparing the sturdy built and seating capacity of an Ambassador which could carry 4 people on the back seat and another 3 on the front seat, and all their luggage for a paltry 4-5L while a modern hatchback that costs a princely sum of 7-8L can't seat more than 5 nor can it come back in the original shape after a mild fender-bender.
You are right, this was in Kerala. The Calicut bypass to be exact, somewhere near Ramanatukara. A speeding lorry would indeed have been a much needed lesson, but at the same time it very well could have been a poor biker.

I still can't get over the scene in the Trax. How stupid can parents be? I guess in some other countries, this would have been classified as child endangerment, but hey, over here, chalta hai.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:04   #8484
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr T-BHP-sticker 4444 Jetta 2.0, tailgating, weaving, and trying to overtake between lanes on Adyar Bridge yesterday early evening. Nice car: lousy driving.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th July 2016 at 15:05.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:11   #8485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Many of us on the ground floor including the security guys were looking up towards the ramp of car park and then it struck that one of the cars going up was honking madly at the entry of each level as he was going up
Are you buy any chance working at ITPL (Ascendas) in Whitefields? .
Old 8th July 2016, 17:25   #8486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I find this kind of behavior really really horrendous and shocking. When a vehicle behind you urges (via the horn) to jump a light -- so they can take a free left. It happened to me a few weeks back. An XUV kept honking non-stop at a light. I actually took off my belt, to turn around and look back. He was in an agitated manner pointing towards the left. How could I jump a full moving red light. It seems when us Indians belt down in the car, we also hook in a bag full of EGO.
I'm surprised nobody has clarified more on this. When there is a 2 or 3 lane road, where there is a free left, why are you blocking that free left? Why couldn't you stay behind the line of cars on the right-side lane? Looking forward to you correcting me.

I face this frequently at the signal near my office. It is a T-Junction and cars can go Left or Right. The green signal for left turn remains blinking for atleast 30secs more after the Turn signal for Right turns red. There is always a person who plays smart and stays in the allowed-left lane-traffic flow and then at the last metre swerves close to the lead car on the right lane. He ends up blocking the entire allowed-left lane-traffic. I try honking to see if they even realize what they are doing. Most of them don't even notice.
nijelj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 18:05   #8487
Distinguished - BHPian

Same for right hand turn lanes. People try and jump queue but end up blocking lanes for straight traffic.

Generally we people are just impatient and ready to jump the queue.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 18:25   #8488
BHPian

I recently had an opportunity to visit my daughter's school for a general parent teacher meeting. The school has an open parking lot just outside the premises where all visitor vehicles, be it a two wheeler or a four wheeler are parked.

Boy was I in for a treat just to watch people parking their vehicles - most parents just zoomed in and shut the engine wherever the car stopped (!) The two wheeler riders were no less. Some drivers did make an all out effort to park neatly. And when the meeting got over, it was each parent for himself. People honking at walking toddlers, two wheeler riders making best effort at creating a mini traffic jam in the parking lot itself and what not - meanwhile my wife and I decided to wait a little in the car till the chaos subsided and then leave.

From what I observed, the basic tenet was to not allow anyone to get in front of oneself with each one thinking that s/he should have highest priority. So the child who is watching all this in an age where their learning capacity is highest, what else can one expect from him/her when s/he grows up ! A sad state of affairs indeed.

Last edited by luvDriving : 8th July 2016 at 18:26. Reason: Grammar
luvDriving is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 11:26   #8489
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I came across a few morons going to Mumbai international airport via Sahar elevated road. While coming from south, the entry to this road is to the right hand side, i.e. between southbound & northbound lanes of Western Express highway. This entry is immediately after landing of domestic airport flyover. Therefore vehicles coming from below domestic airport flyover are not allowed to take this entry as it will involve cutting off all the lanes coming down the flyover. Barricades are installed in order to prevent such an entry. These vehicles need to go about a km ahead, take a u turn below Andheri flyover & then enter Sahar elevated road using the entry on south bound lane.

However it is below dignity of a few Indians to take this detour. Solution? Simple hai boss. Just cut across the entire highway and use the shortcut entry! That too at night, when traffic is sparse and any approaching vehicles will be at a high speed.

Have attached a rough illustration (not to scale) showing the same. Red line is the route taken by those morons.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-sahar-road.png
Old 9th July 2016, 11:49   #8490
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday evening, after exiting NICE Road and getting on to the service road, while waiting to merge with Hosur Road from service road, one lane is for oncoming traffic and everyone was patiently waiting without encroaching the oncoming lane, that is till the signal turned green. Almost immediately a moron in a DL registered Zoomcar takes the wrong lane and blocks traffic coming from Hosur Road. Needlessly caused a gridlock there!

Most Viewed