Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2016, 10:01   #8521
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Yesterday I was on my bike. I saw a Nano ahead of me had low Tyre pressure in rear left tyre. So I went near the driver side window and told him "Pichhla Tyre puncture hai" (The Rear Tyre is punctured). He said "Pata hai" (I know). I told him "tube kharab ho jayega" (the tube will get damaged). He replied "tubeless hai. Gaadi chalte samay Hawa pane aap bhar jati hai" (it's tubeless.The air gets automatically filled while the car is moving). I was like
Wow! If you discount the possibility that he was perhaps just trolling you, this is serious ignorance when it comes to the vehicle one owns!

One thing people miss out doing sometimes is to have a good read of the owners manual, and also keep getting inputs from fellow drivers on the basics around once car, and what constitutes safe driving. Perhaps many people just buy a car and leave everything else to the service station! I know some individuals who didnt have much understanding on what the temp guage and some of the alerts on their dashboard meant! Perhaps the RTO should consider including some "know your car" content while doing the license test...

People who dont have basic understanding of their vehiclesh do pose as much a threat to themselves and others as those who drive rashly, in my opinion...
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 11:21   #8522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... He replied "tubeless hai. Gaadi chalte samay Hawa pane aap bhar jati hai" (it's tubeless.The air gets automatically filled while the car is moving). I was like

That really deserves to be in one of the joke threads!

The guy is going to get disillusioned. It's going to be expensive too, especially if he goes on believing that until the hub gets damaged!

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th July 2016 at 11:22.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 12:55   #8523
Distinguished - BHPian

Wouldn't the tyre get completely damaged within very few kms if driven after a puncture? By this guys statement it appears that he had been driving for quite sometime with that logic.
Old 16th July 2016, 15:02   #8524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
t it appears that he had been driving for quite sometime with that logic.
Can't be. Actually, the tyre will be damaged beyond repair before it looks as if it is (been there, done that: just one journey and didn't notice the flat) but sooner rather than latter it will be shredded.
Old 16th July 2016, 15:13   #8525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can't be. Actually, the tyre will be damaged beyond repair before it looks as if it is (been there, done that: just one journey and didn't notice the flat) but sooner rather than latter it will be shredded.
What IndigoXLGrandDi has mentioned that he observed low pressure. He did not say a flat tyre. So, need not result into a damaged condition beyond repair.
Old 16th July 2016, 16:10   #8526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
That really deserves to be in one of the joke threads!
Initially I too was thinking where to post this- in Bad Drivers Thread or Jokes Thread, as it deserved both threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73
What IndigoXLGrandDi has mentioned that he observed low pressure. He did not say a flat tyre.
The tyre had very low air pressure. More than half of the tyre was looking flat. As the car was moving @30-40kph, I might not be able to confirm whether it was puncture or just low air pressure. Nonetheless, the car driver (owner) was putting several lives (one lady was on the rear seat with one kid and one kid was on co-driver seat and other fellow road users) in danger. Add to that the puny 135 section rear tyres and tall-boy design of Nano.

God, please activate the brains present(?) in such peoples head.
Old 16th July 2016, 18:02   #8527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More than half of the tyre was looking flat.
The bottom half, probably.
Just... it reminds me of that joke in which someone is looking at their flat tyre and saying, "the top half is OK, just the bottom is flat."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73
What IndigoXLGrandDi has mentioned that he observed low pressure. He did not say a flat tyre. So, need not result into a damaged condition beyond repair.
If a tyre is flat enough for a passer by to see it is flat, then it is getting damaged already.

Of course... wasn't there, didn't see it applies!
Old 18th July 2016, 21:32   #8528
BHPian

Some rants and how our establishment is encouraging unsafe practices on the road, not all come under bad drivers but potential safety disaster. So hope its okay to post here.

1) Recently, on my way to the Hyderabad airport, saw some additional police checking happening. While we were waiting for our turn to be checked, three guys on a motorbike comes near the check post, says hi to the cop and drives ahead without any fuss. Looks like they were some cops/home guards so they got the benefit but isn't that such a bad thing ?

2) Twice i encountered mentally unstable men walking on the extreme right of the road in the night, stark naked with some black tar/dirt all over the body. They walk against the traffic and its tough to spot them. Either they are on a suicide attempt or mental issues making them do such things. This happened on the Nehru ORR at Hyd. Since i managed to see them it was ok but its so bad ! What if they get killed, what if someone brakes or swerves to the left seeing them ? Good recipe for disaster ! Surprisingly the patrol van from NHAI was idling closeby but did not seem to bother. I will log a complaint online with NHAI and hope some actions are taken to avoid such disasters.

3) To add to the misery, i see enthusiastic runners (both men and women) using the Gachibowli entrance of the ORR for their morning jogs. This ORR does not have a foot path and vehicles generally go at high speed (120kmph is the legal limit on this road)I know stupidity has no cure but isnt it so dangerous ? Most of them wear branded sportswear etc (so well aware of brands) but does not have basic awareness on safety ? There is a police station nearby but don't think anyone bothers !
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:03   #8529
Distinguished - BHPian

This rider on Delhi Roads is "On Job" I would say.

What is indeed surprising is the fact that most of the offenders realised their mistakes and were not getting into any arguments to prove their prowess in the battle!
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:42   #8530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hats of to this guy!

Roads are full of Idiots! Its shameful to see few of them arguing! Will this attitude change? Never..unless a change is bought at the root level, 'issuing of driving licence'!!
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:50   #8531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Hats of to this guy!

Roads are full of Idiots! Its shameful to see few of them arguing! Will this attitude change? Never..unless a change is bought at the root level, 'issuing of driving licence'!!
Agree that "issuing of driving license" is one thing. The rider/driver can always break rules once he gets the license. Its the enforcement of the law which is the key here. If people know they are going to lose their driving license along with hefty fines/imprisonment, they will follow the rules. Since enforcement is weak, everyone takes it for a ride. This is a common scenario across India not just Delhi. I can show this scene almost on all Bangalore Roads. Rule breakers outnumbers the rule followers by a huge margin.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 10:55   #8532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I can show this scene almost on all Bangalore Roads. Rule breakers outnumbers the rule followers by a huge margin
It so happened that on Saturday evening, I was on my way out of the city and was on the ring road between Magadi Road Bridge and Dr. Rajkumar Samaadhi. There was this interceptor on the road and I was in for a surprise from all the fellow drivers/riders. Just a few hundred meters before this interceptor, all heroes had managed to recklessly overtake me from left-right-and-center. The moment they saw this interceptor (which I didn't), most of them seem to have literally stood on their brakes to escape a speeding ticket. It looked as though I was speeding at that time (But I wasn't thankfully. It was the relative speeds which made me feel so ).

It's just an example which shows that people do (pretend to) follow the rules when the need arises. Don't ask me about the rest of the times.., since we all know it! Unfortunately, the video got overwritten on my DashCam. Otherwise, I'd have shared it
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 11:10   #8533
BHPian

Quote:
Add to that the puny 135 section rear tyres and tall-boy design of Nano.
Nano comes with 155 section rear tyres. Unles this guy swapped the tyres due to some similar logic (smaller tyres fill air faster while rolling? )

Last edited by knaveen : 19th July 2016 at 11:12.
Old 19th July 2016, 11:24   #8534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

What is indeed surprising is the fact that most of the offenders realised their mistakes and were not getting into any arguments to prove their prowess in the battle!
The guy has killed it. Kudos to the fellow. Its the brazenness that astounds me. I can probably still understand bikers doing it - but cars? I mean, people are so stupid.
Can all of them captured be reported in one go? I mean if there was a way the Traffic Police made it appealing for the public reporting and proving these offenders, it perhaps might help?

I would like to be named the Good Samaritan or something for reporting all the idiots.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:30   #8535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The guy has killed it. Kudos to the fellow. Its the brazenness that astounds me. I can probably still understand bikers doing it - but cars? I mean, people are so stupid.
Can all of them captured be reported in one go? I mean if there was a way the Traffic Police made it appealing for the public reporting and proving these offenders, it perhaps might help?

I would like to be named the Good Samaritan or something for reporting all the idiots.
That guy is a YouTube Vlogger. Seem few of his videos and he records lot of traffic idiocy in the Noida area. Kudos indeed.

I feel that there isnt much hope here till our population issues are solved (unlikely in our lifetime.) Any number of rules just cant be enforced perfectly due to the pure number of vehicles. Can you look at someones face and tell if he has a valid license? Never. Neither can you ever stop every vehicle to check DLs and their authenticity.

I work in Greater Noida and commute from Noida everyday. The stuff i see everyday is so unbelievable I could write a book!

Most Viewed