Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:37   #8581
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post
I stay atleast 1-2 cars lengths away.
That is a good practice you have but if possible please do extend it to all vehicles on the road and not just L board cars. The three second rule will always keep you safe.
Old 3rd August 2016, 22:43   #8582
BHPian

One category of bad drivers are those who are eager to overtake by getting into the fast lane but then chicken out and start driving alongside the vehicle in the left lane, blocking the road. I believe that longer the overtaking process lasts, higher are chances of mishap. Should be completed as swiftly as possible without ego and readiness to fall back in line if safety equations change. Using indicators to communicate the intent can never be over-stressed.
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:19   #8583
Distinguished - BHPian

It really is a good idea to stay clear of "L" drivers. especially when they are in front of you. An instructor in London told me that most accidents with learners are rear-endings because the learner slams on the brakes.

Please be patient with learners and other obviously inexperienced drivers. We all had to learn!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 09:59   #8584
BHPian

They tend to slam their brakes , I almost rear ended a few. Hence my new rule of staying 1-2 car lengths away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
That is a good practice you have but if possible please do extend it to all vehicles on the road and not just L board cars. The three second rule will always keep you safe.
I do. I meant in bumper to bumper traffic .
Old 4th August 2016, 11:40   #8585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It really is a good idea to stay clear of "L" drivers. especially when they are in front of you. An instructor in London told me that most accidents with learners are rear-endings because the learner slams on the brakes.

Please be patient with learners and other obviously inexperienced drivers. We all had to learn!
Very interesting to see this post - just this morning on my way to work saw a Driving School Wagon-R car with the huge billboard "L" board stopped on the side of the road (on the flyover) near Kamakshi Hospital after being hit from the right rear by an Auto. The Wagon-R had a displaced rear bumper and there was broken glass of the windshield of the auto on the middle lane of the flyover. There were around 5 other autos there for support. Couldn't see any injured people there so kept moving.

Another point I want to add is that people who are looking for a particular address in an unfamiliar location also could stop suddenly and in India back up without any warning.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:54   #8586
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Ertiga being parked in two slots. This is in our company parking lot. If he parks this way in company's parking lot, I can only think how he would do it outside.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_4680.jpg

In fact this is just one instance, I have seen many instances in our company parking lot itself where people do not care and park their vehicles haphazardly without caring for anyone.
Old 4th August 2016, 16:31   #8587
BHPian

Left totally shaken because of an incident which occured about 1 hour back. Had a rare day off from factory work and was relaxing at home.Mother wanted to go into the city's main market to purchase garments. Left home (was driving my alto K10) and took the service road as it offers a quicker route to the market. The graphic below illustrates what happened (could have let to a serious accident)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-graphic.png
My route cuts across the main highway and was wating for the signal(at the pole position) to turn green. As usual horns started before the timer reached zero.Ignored the morons as i know this is an accident prone junction and people tend to jump signals even on the highway.I then put the vehicle in gear and rolled out slowly (again the accident prone junction was playing in my mind). My route is depicted in green. Was going slowly as i expected some one to jump the highway signal and was totally concentrating on the road ahead. However i must add the road to my right was in my blind spot, but still i craned my neck and ensured no one is jumping the other singnal before i rolled out. Thus assured i moved out and to my shock as i was midway thourgh the turn i saw a lady on an activa coming in very fast from the right (Yes, she jumped the signal and i noted her in the nick of time in my peripheral vision). Reflexes kicked in and i urgently braked, and so did the lady.The activa stopped right in front on my car (X marks the spot), i believe only a few millimeters seperated us. Before i could do anything, the rider nonchalantly zoomed away. . She could have been crushed under the wheels of my car had i been not alert. I am not praising my own driving skills, but mentally gave myself a pat on the back for anticipation and quick reflexes.

Oh and another one (after i reached safely to the market)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20160804_151839.jpg
Rear bar on the Innova tied to the body (I wonder what will happen to the car behind the Innova, if the bar falls off on the highway)
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:34   #8588
Senior - BHPian

I had a very close call yesterday. I was cruising at around 80-90kmph on the highway. Upon spotting an intersection, I started slowing down. I spotted a cyclist waiting to cross the road; I'm sure he saw me too. I saw him look at me.
Since the intersection was pretty clear, and since the cyclist had seen me, I 'assumed' he would wait for me to pass and I started to accelerate.. when, to my horror, the cyclist started to cross the road! I had to panic brake. Thankfully, the ABS kicked in and I was able to steer away.
The cyclist cycled away as if nothing had happened- all calm and cool. That's what my sister, who happened to glance back, told me.

Lesson: I was a bad driver; no two ways about it. Given our roads, I need to further drop my speed at intersections, and leave nothing to chance.
schakravarthy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:42   #8589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
An instructor in London told me that most accidents with learners are rear-endings because the learner slams on the brakes.
Very interesting to see this post - just this morning on my way to work saw a Driving School Wagon-R car with the huge billboard "L" board stopped on the side of the road (on the flyover) near Kamakshi Hospital after being hit from the right rear by an Auto. ... ... ...
Driving-school cars in UK have dual control pedals, but the instructor explained to me that, whilst they could stop the car and/or grab the wheel, the one thing they could not do was prevent the learner from stopping the car.
Quote:
Another point I want to add is that people who are looking for a particular address in an unfamiliar location also could stop suddenly and in India back up without any warning.
We all get lost; we all search for roads or street addresses; I have patience with the people who need to go a little slow when doing this, but none with those who just stop in the middle of the road to think about it!
Old 4th August 2016, 17:38   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Oh there is a Reva, I can squeeze it to the side and leave enough space for me to get out on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20160804_172859.jpg  

tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 11:36   #8591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Lesson: I was a bad driver; no two ways about it. Given our roads, I need to further drop my speed at intersections, and leave nothing to chance.
I had my own experience sometime back. Bangalore-Mysore Road is extremely notorious when it comes to this.., especially at stretches in Mandya District.

Confession: Even I was a bad driver that day. Even I was cruising at speeds similar to what you've mentioned, forgetting the fact that we live in "INDIA" and I'm driving around "MANDYA"

Jokes apart, I've learned my lesson!
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 12:12   #8592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Confession: Even I was a bad driver that day. Even I was cruising at speeds similar to what you've mentioned, forgetting the fact that we live in "INDIA" and I'm driving around "MANDYA"

Jokes apart, I've learned my lesson!
From what I have seen, there are more speed bumps in whole of Mandya district. including the interior roads than I find in another districts. Last two dash cam videos points to the real reason behind it.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 12:27   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
From what I have seen, there are more speed bumps in whole of Mandya district. including the interior roads than I find in another districts. Last two dash cam videos points to the real reason behind it
Agreed! Mandya is extremely notorious for dumb driving habits.., I wouldn't call it bad driving since people tend to not have any awareness - literally! You can see bullock-carts, tractors and 2-wheelers on the wrong side almost 70% of the times - and that includes nights as well. At night, it becomes even more notorious since they have a major equipment missing - headlights! It's either due to absence (in bullock cart's case), due to damage or due to lack of driving/riding etiquette.

The bikers even manage to criss-cross.., just the way that biker did on my video, that too from the wrong side! Had all these experiences during the last 4 years of driving. But again, it's just like how we say things about our Rat Race IT Jobs - "Everyday is a new learning", Mandyans (I like to call them that way ) come up with innovative ways to surprise us on the roads and every single drive around and across that district gives you "A NEW LEARNING", but without the "L" Board on your vehicle
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 12:47   #8594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I had a very close call yesterday.

Lesson: I was a bad driver; no two ways about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
I had my own experience sometime back.

Confession: Even I was a bad driver that day.
Woah! Today is TBhpians confession day.

This is my bad driving from yesterday. Although there was no accident, I am feeling guilty for the way I drove yesterday. It was my high headed attitude at that moment of time.
This guy in a Merc comes up from the left at the 23rd second, goes to the extreme left as we all take the right turn. Now instead of following the natural curvature of the road, he starts cutting across. This is something which always gets on my nerves. I did not stop to let him in. Felt bad after that. I should have stopped and let him have his way.

It was a close pass and could have resulted in a collision.
Either I need to change my attitude or the others improve their driving.

Better I change.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 13:16   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
This is my bad driving from yesterday. Although there was no accident, I am feeling guilty for the way I drove yesterday. It was my high headed attitude at that moment of time.
This guy in a Merc comes up from the left at the 23rd second, goes to the extreme left as we all take the right turn. Now instead of following the natural curvature of the road, he starts cutting across. This is something which always gets on my nerves. I did not stop to let him in. Felt bad after that. I should have stopped and let him have his way.
It was a close pass and could have resulted in a collision.
Either I need to change my attitude or the others improve their driving.

Better I change.
Oh! Don't feel bad for this. For me, it is an everyday thing. You were only being assertive. In your position, on a bad day, if I anticipate that the Merc (drool-worthy matte-black CLS ) would cut across, I would have most definitely tailgated the Duster, thus leaving the Merc driver in no doubt that the space to cut in simply does not exist.
KiloAlpha is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks